[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally finished college, got my degree. Now how do I get a decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: faf.png (516 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
faf.png
516 KB, 600x600
Finally finished college, got my degree. Now how do I get a decent job that I won't hate and won't bore me to death? Parents told me if I worked hard and studied what I was interested in I'd have a job by the time I graduated, but that never happened. I'm charismatic, got great people skills, can deal with numbers aight (one of my majors was in STEM). What should I look into? I look at job ads in my city but there really doesn't seem to be much posted up there, and I don't know what to apply for anyhow.
>>
File: 1462338345846.jpg (51 KB, 958x959) Image search: [Google]
1462338345846.jpg
51 KB, 958x959
>>17248147
>>
>>17248147

I would imagine your degrees, GPA, and goal job would be somewhat relevant to this thread. Just saying.
>>
>>17248147
>Now how do I get a decent job that I won't hate and won't bore me to death?
You keep looking and looking and looking and hope you find one. Expect to go through a load of shit jobs you do hate and do bore you to death before you find it.

>Parents told me if I worked hard and studied what I was interested in I'd have a job by the time I graduated, but that never happened.
It never happened because the days where that held true are long gone.

It's not optimistic advice, but it's honest.
>>
>>17248992
BSc in Chemistry and Philosophy

I held a mid-credit average the entirety of my degree, never failed a class.

And I have no clue what my goal job would be. That's the thing. All my friends seem to know what they want but every time i think about it nothing comes up – and believe me, I've been thinking for the last five years.

I've only ever tended bar, worked retail, and as a labourer. Bar is the easiest and most fun out of all of them, but that's not saying much.

I got into law school but deferred study two weeks in because I just wasn't mentally prepared enough to ace it.
>>
>>17248147
Learn programming.
>>
>>17249978

I've done a bit of flash and C++ coding over the years and I'm pretty hopeless at both of them. My friends who code are complaining that it's apparently hard to find good work too; idk how true that is tho.
>>
File: 1465155190733.jpg (893 KB, 2288x1617) Image search: [Google]
1465155190733.jpg
893 KB, 2288x1617
>>17250018
C++ is pretty difficult to learn in the beginning due to low level issues that get hand waved away in higher level languages. Get familiar with something like Python or JavaScript, a web stack, and build something cool. If you double majored in Chemistry and Philosophy, you should be able to program no problem. The barrier for entry is quite low, and the potential for growth is extremely high. It's one of the few well paying fields that doesn't require a BS; you just need to prove you can code shit which is easily done by hosting and linking your projects in your resume. Learn data structures and algorithms, practice whiteboarding, move to a tech hub like SF or NYC, and the rest should be pretty easy. Disregard your friends, assuming they live in the US. Software development is in high demand and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>17250118
Not living in the US, unfortunately. Ausfag. A friend of ours who is a bit older moved to NYC about eight years ago and made her fortune doing security algorithms and systems integration for big investment banks before returning home and naming her price BUT I'm just not sure if the demand is high enough these days for that to still be a viable option.
>>
Start volunteering whilendoing that go to the career center smart pants
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.