[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm a 5'6" guy. All my life I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So I'm a 5'6" guy. All my life I've been smaller and never thought about it or gave a shit about it. Even when people made fun of me for it I thought they were retarded. Now for some reason I always think about my height and constantly pay attention toon to other people's height. I know deep down my height doesn't matter that much but it's like ever since I noticed I can't notice it and I think about it all the time when my mind is wandering. Has anyone else dealt with this? And how did you over come thinking about it? Through out life I always end up realizing it doesn't matter but for some reason it bothers me.
>>
File: Redhead.jpg (62 KB, 220x276) Image search: [Google]
Redhead.jpg
62 KB, 220x276
Are you getting laid?
>>
>>16484558
As a "tall girl" (5'7") height is a big deal to me. This stems from being embarrassed in middle school as I was taller than all the boys and was therefore rejected by them. Eventually most of the boys grew to be taller than me and everything became normal.
But now, when a guy is shorter than me, I am not attracted to him because I associate that with selfconciousness.

It's awful and shallow, but I can't control it.
Luckily you're not a manlet, op.
5'6" is not that bad. If you were 4'10" or something then it would be something worth worrying over.
Just go for girls who are shorter than you. You'll have more luck with them, and most girls will be fine with a partner who is the same height of taller than them.
>>
>>16484572
I never understood this. Tall girl=longer legs. The jokes were born from the guys being insecure
>>
>>16484567
not as much as I should, I've been focusing on other things. I don't think that really has to do with my height.
>>
>>16484572
>Luckily you're not a manlet, op.
5'6 is pure manlet, don't lie to him, it's a noticeably short height, that's what a manlet is.
Also, 5'7 isn't that tall, you're under 5'8 which 90% of all women are. You're still shorter than most guys, but I will admit it's a universal preference for guys to like shorter, and girls to like taller. Still, just be glad you're not taylor swift's height, or into the 6'+ range, then you would probably be fucked (not literally).

>>16484558
Now OP, yes you're short, people will view you as being inferior. you just gotta deal with it, life sucks, and we can't escape it until death so just make the best of it.
Also, although yes, you're a manlet, you're still not that short. I can assure you with decent facial aesthetics, style, personality, you will be able to get girls, just look for shorter girls. The taller one's won't bite. Stay away from places like /fit/ or get better skin, because the one thing you gotta do is just learn to deal with it. Life fuckin' blows in a lot of ways, you just gotta get over the things you can't control.
>>
File: Roller_skates,_1910.jpg (158 KB, 1078x1473) Image search: [Google]
Roller_skates,_1910.jpg
158 KB, 1078x1473
>>16484600
Well, think again.
>>
>>16484577
Taller girls are intimidating for guys. Most guys want to resonate masculinity, and if his partner is larger than he is, it's uncomfortable. A guy want's to feel dominant. It's really not that complicated.
>>
>>16484620
I know it isn't complicated, I understand why. I'm saying that I don't feel intimidated is all
>>
>>16484600
>I don't think that really has to do with my height.
Not to kick you while you're down, but OP height is a huge attraction factor to women, you should just probably be aware of that. It's not just some women, it's like 99% of women too. It's like guys with fat girls, but even more shallow.
>>
>>16484617
It's more like I dont really go past the first stage of flirting with girls. I just have other things to do. Yeah I understand being tall would make me more attractive but I really don't think being shorter makes me unattractive. I made this thread really to ask more about how to stop caring about my height again, cuz it's really stupid thing to care about something I can't change, and its dumb because it gets me down mean while I've got so much goin on for me.
>>
>>16484627
Height is a more attractive trait I understand that but being my height never seemed to be unattractive to girls it's just not attractive.
>>
>>16484631
>it gets me down mean while I've got so much goin on for me.
then don't let it, you'll meet a grill if you think you will. Just make sure she's shorter.
>>
I'm a 5'6" guy and was very insecure about it.Then I stopped giving a fuck, mainly because I got my life together and am pretty awesome now. Decent looks, outgoing, interesting hobbies, great career and a well-paid job. I know my worth which is why height doesn't matter to me, neither does it to girls.

Interestingly enough, I have had 3 gfs and all of them were taller than me.
>>
>>16484640
Well that's my problem I never saw it as a disadvantage until a few months ago and only then it actually seems to effect me. My problem is how to forget it cuz I know it doesn't really matter for the most part.
>>
>>16484642
How did u stop giving a fuck? That's my issue like I used to not care but now I do
>>
>>16484631

Hi OP. As a reference I'm 5'6" and that's as tall as I will ever be, and I went through a stage of my life when I was very self conscious of my height. I used to feel small and insignificant and would constantly compare my height to others. I'd feel insecure if I was around a tall guy and I would often wish that I was taller.

Do you often browse 4chan or Reddit? For my whole life no one ever brought up my height as an issue, the only time I ever visibly see people making remarks based off height is online. Even in this thread people are slinging the word manlet around.

Anyway I'll cut down the rant and tell you how I got over my insecurity over height.
1. Spend more time around people who care about you. You'll realize they don't care about your physical flaws, like you don't care about theirs.
2. Get off this website. This whole site has some weird fetish with height being an issue for people. You might laugh at manlet jokes or not let them get to you but subconsciously, they do. I stopped using this website and my insecurities cleaned up in about a month. The reason why I'm on now was I'm procrastinating like crazy and decided to have a quick sweep of /adv/
3. Take care of yourself. Finding clothes that fitted properly gave me a big boost in confidence, as I was often acutely aware of how poorly my clothes fitted because I was small. Also doing a bit of exercise helps take your minds off insecurities, at least that's what I'm found.

If you want to talk I'll leave this thread open in the background.
>>
>>16484684
hello manlet
>>
>>16484558
Work on yourself and focus on your good qualities. Problem solved.

That's really all there is to it. Get self-confidence from other aspects of yourself.
>>
I'm a 6'3" hairy mother fucker. I'll never be a convincing trap.
>>
>>16484684
May I ask wear u get jeans that sent baggy? And what style bus honestly this bothers me a lot. And yeah I think this insecurity appeared bcus I was on bodybuilder.com reading a bunch of stuff for working out and it might have put toxic ideas in my head bcus I never saw it as a flaw until recently and I feel like that's all in my head. Also my two closest friends are 6'2" and 6'8" and height always seems to come up when dealing with other people.
>>
>>16484695
This actually made me laugh you cheeky asshole
>>
>>16484721
i couldn't hear you from all the way down there
>>
Aren't* Bcus*
>>
>>16484725
Now u killed it
>>
File: 0621ci2.jpg (16 KB, 358x240) Image search: [Google]
0621ci2.jpg
16 KB, 358x240
>>16484729
im sorry desu
>>
>>16484735
Remember always leave on a high note, it's how they do it in Vegas
>>
>>16484558
OP, don't get started on height. Just stop and go back. Thinking about it is futile. The more you think about it, the more you'll seek validation. I'm 5'9", my best friend since school is 6'3", and my gf is the same height as me. Not a single time has anyone mentioned height.

Don't forget that /adv/ is more of the what not to do type of board.
>>
File: unHJcMm.jpg (53 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
unHJcMm.jpg
53 KB, 612x612
>>16484744
I don't like gambling
>>
>>1648475 it's a Seinfeld reference
>>
>>16484756
It's a Seinfeld reference
>>
>>16484651
Like I said, I simply worked on becoming awesome. I am awesome and know it. Height doesn't matter against all my other qualities. That's how I stopped giving a fuck.
>>
File: characters_gendo_2a.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
characters_gendo_2a.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>16484777
THOSE NUMERALS

That's no small feat
>>
>>16484719
In terms of pants I have yet to find a perfect length that you can buy off the shelves. For jeans I get them taken up at the cheapest tailor I can find, and for other casual pants I just cuff them. Size 30 slim seems to work just fine.

In terms of other bits of clothing, I've never had trouble with shorts, just go with a pair that end slightly above the knee and you're good. T shirts/short sleeve button ups are also an easy fit. For button up long sleeves if you shop around you can find a perfect size, 82 sleeve length is mine. Jackets and coats can be tricky to find a good fit because the sleeves are often too long, I generally just roll the inside of the sleeve in about half an inch on a jacket that fits me, it seems to work fine.

One of your closest friends is 6'8"? That could be a reason. That's a huge height difference between you two so that may be drawing attention to things. I can't really help you in that department as most of my social circle is 5'11" at the tallest. I'm not saying this is a blanket rule on human interaction but people usually hang out with others who are the same height. Are you often the shortest guy by a mile whenever you go anywhere with friends? I personally feel more out of place if I'm the only one who's under 6 foot.
>>
>>16484796
Just to add one last thing, this is probably a phase for you OP. If you didn't care before, and nothing for you has dramatically changed, you'll probably get over it in time.
>>
>>16484804
Yeah ur prob right thanks for the advice. No I'm the second shortest. The shortest is 5 feet tall so we're pretty diverse group in height.
>>
>>16484612
He's not a manlet- you just said yourself that more than 90% of girls fall under the 5'8" range.
He'd be a manlet if he was shorter than the majority of women.
And yeah, I am grateful that I stopped growing. I was saying that FOR A TIME I was freakishly tall compared to other girls, but now that everyone's caught up i'm not taller than most
>>
>>16484558
Google "famous short people"
>>
>>16484558
Stay away from /fit/
Please stay away from it it has nothing to offer if you want to get fit don't use 4chan
>>
Thanks for the advice guys!
>>
Stop crying about things you can't change
>>
>>16485602
Lol can't tell if ur serious or just a dumbass
>>
>>16485615
>Lol can't tell if ur serious or just a dumbass
how so? he is right. it is like complaining about the sky being blue
>>
>>16485617
This thread is about how people feel about being shorter and if it does bother them, how they deal with it. No one once complained in this thread.
>>
>>16485617
Over complaining about things you can't change i agree is stupid. Not reading the post and jumping to conclusions is also stupid.
>>
Sounds like you have a creeping sense of doom coming from some other source (perhaps age?) and you're looking for an easy way to shift responsibility for its cause. There's nothing strange about that. People do it all the time. But you've been short for a while so something else has changed beyond your awareness of your height. (And mine, since I'm also 5'6".)

Next time you look at someone, consider something about them which isn't their height. When you look up to another guy (literally, haha) and find something admirable about him, don't stop the train at "Oh and he's tall too, no wonder." What else has he got going for him? Is it that his height is magical, or that his life could be ascribed to countless other qualities including the choices he makes for himself? All told I think I've been too bothered dealing with the things I can change to entertain the notion that my lot in life might start and stop with my height. There are just too many other knobs and dials to tweak, so to speak, for that to be even a remote possibility. Those choices bother me more than something which isn't a choice.
>>
>>16484777
I wonder if you realise how insecure this post sounds.
>>
>>16485655
Maybe I'm gonna think about this. Maybe I need to look deeper and see what my true issues are. It maybe that I hurt both my shoulders a year ago and I'm feeling the affect of not being able to climb, do push ups and pull ups. I also feel a bit lost in life right now. I'm actually quite young so maybe Its just insecurity stemming from something else.
>>
Forgot the comma after the first maybe. Punctuation makes a huge difference lol?
>>
>>16485669
Yes even tho it's progress to not give a fuck I feel say ing you don't give a fuck about a perceived flaw is bad because it's not a flaw and getting out of ones head to realize it's not a flaw is what I need help with.
>>
>>16484684
>the only time I ever visibly see people making remarks based off height is online.

this a million times.

I'm not a tall guy, I'm like 5'10" in shoes but I have never, and I mean NEVER had anyone belittle me based on height in real life. Hell, I've even had girls tell me I'm the "perfect height" for them.

The only people who care are keyboard commandos hiding behind the thin layer of anonymity that is the internet.
>>
>>16485686
>I'm in the height sweet spot
>therefore height is a social construct

My daily dose of motivation to lift bigger and punch harder. IDGAF about love anymore, my life's goal is to pump and dump insecure women.
>>
I think i just need to realize and look what my real issues are and look snd see whats going great in my life. Ivr been thing sbout it and its starting to seem like its the solution.
>>
>>16485691
My point isn't any less valid. There are shallow women out there that say they only go for tall guys like 6'+ but 100% of those women have shitty personalities and will likely end up leading miserable lives. Some people never grow out of that high school phase, unfortunately. I knew a girl in school who said she was only attracted to the "tall, dark and handsome" type and last I heard she dropped out of college and smokes pot all day.

My main point is that height isn't something you can control by any stretch of the imagination, and you just need to deal with that. Find people who actually have their shit together and aren't so blinded by their own interpretations of what makes someone a good mate.

But if you want to take my message as a slight toward you and use it as motivation to better yourself, more power to you.
>>
>>16485721
Thanks for the advice dude
>>
>>16484558
I would call your height normal. like for me i am 5'2 guy, and everyday consists some faggot mentioning my height what i try to imagine is that other people like other whatever the matter, looks, smell, smile, strong or weak. we all have diffrent taste and it dosent matter cause there is always someone who will carry my torch.
>>
5'7" male is equivalent of 200lb female

5'5" male is equivalent of 300lb female

5'3" male is equivalent of 400lb female
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.