[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Condensing this as much as I can. >Work in currency exchange
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Bert.jpg (71 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
Bert.jpg
71 KB, 476x356
Condensing this as much as I can.

>Work in currency exchange
>Cover another, unfamiliar booth
>I took over from area manager
>I report £1000 missing on my shift
>Did first count hours after area manager left
>Report it as soon as I find it
>Four weeks later, they are still conducting "internal enquiries" even though I've told them to go through every second of camera footage from every available camera,
>They're still threatening me for not following procedure even though I was given instructions from my manager to skip procedure.
>Thought my innocence would be evident after a single viewing of CCTV but they're still fucking about and telling me nothing
>Have told them to make it a police issue

Should I just go straight to the police now?

Will probably lose my job if I do but I don't give a fuck anymore.
>>
OK

I get this might be a little too real for the collective wisdom of /adv/

Does anybody at least have an inkling as to how my going to the police might affect my bottom feeding place at the company?
>>
Going to the police won't help you any. I'd just wait it out and if they try to pin it on you legally, you could contact a lawyer to see the footage. If they wrongfully fire you, perhaps there is a labor board where you live to contact? I think the main reason they're waiting so long is because they can't properly pass off responsibility on you.

Either tough it out or quit, unless there are more details you are withholding.

What happens if you lose your job, anyway? Got a back up in mind?
>>
>>16483357

>Going to the police won't help you any

What can it hurt? If nothing else, I'll have the jump on them.

> If they wrongfully fire you

The only thing they can fuck me on is not following procedure. The two instances of that happening were

>a) Not counting the money as soon as I arrived at the booth.

The manager should have stayed there to make sure I did so but he left immediately and there was a queue forming and in that instance, you're supposed to serve.

>b) Not passing the till difference at the end of day

I informed the manager of the difference and he specifically told me to leave it and he would look for it the morning after. In this instance, I was put in a position of following procedure or disobeying specific instructions from the manager.

My main concern is that they fire me on the basis of the above two and leave me with a shitty reputation even though I was doing the company a favour by covering in the first place. All the while, forsaking official investigations and using me as a fall guy in order to spare themselves the embarrassment of acknowledging that they hired a crook.

Thank you for the response.
>>
"hello, police? someone at work lost $1,000"
"no, it wasn't me"
"no, it wasn't my money"
"I want you to tell my boss it wasn't me"
>>
>>16483383
What do you anticipate the police will do?

You can always make a fake reference for the company if reputation is your issue. I do it all the time. Works well.
>>
>>16483357
Police will only complicate things and may be a breach of your work contract. Talk to a lawyer and ensure that you are everything you can to legally protect yourself.
>>
>>16483393

Someone at work took £1000.

It wasn't me. I am more than happy to have every microsecond of footage to be reviewed and was even subjected to a random pocket search when I left the premises which amounted to a distinct lack of £1000.

I'm still under investigation.

My managers are taking a long time to exonerate me and I'm getting concerned to the point that I find it hard to trust any of them.

>>16483396

The police might be more thorough and more impartial than the company.

I would happily go on the dole if that's an alternative to the toxic company I'm working for. My main consideration is "Why did you leave your last job". Saying "I was fired for reporting an incident to the police" looks a bit better than "I quit because I was under investigation."

In either case, a potential employer would be inclined to enquire. Even if it is a stop gap.
>>
>>16483413

I'm in all day Monday and Tuesday so the earliest chance I'd get to walk into a lawyers is Wednesday,

What if they fire me before then?

How can I get it on record that the process stinks like shit?
>>
>>16483419
No, no, no. I've worked in hiring and LP and both of those would sound awful. You lie no matter how this turns out come next interview.

How does someone so honest even get through life?

The lawyer will dig into things even after you're fired. But I truly think if there's no charge/theft on your perm record you're better off not bothering.

I think your perception of this process is cute. You should really reconsider being my pet.
>>
Made a reply, connection error killed it.

Was a long one too.

Thanks all the same.
>>
Sounds like your manager took the money and is using you as a scapegoat. Similar thing happened to me, counted my drawer out one night and I was fifty bucks short. I even offered to empty my pockets and told them "well the manager was checking on my register so" and they dropped it cause I was almost always even.

Your manager is an idiot for taking that much, anyway. If you're doing it right you take small amounts each time. Ones that no one cares much about.
>>
>>16483538

£1000 is a retarded amount to take.

Nobody gives a shit about the occasional €50 that goes astray because that happens legitimately every day across the country. But £1000? If you're going to rip the company off, take leaving-the-country money.

That's another thing that fucks me off about the situation. Not only are they trying to throw me under the bus, but they're doing it for the most pathetic amount possible. It's insulting on top of everything else.

I've decided on the CAB>>>Lawyer>>>Police route. Fucked off that it even came to this but what else can I do?

Thanks for using the word Scapegoat. Reminded me of the fairly cool Fear Factory song.
>>
>>16483431
Just start documenting everything and writing down/recording everything you're told.
>>
>>16483461
Holy shit dude. You need help.

Scouring this board looking for people who are in moments of crisis so you can take advantage and make them your pets? You need serious fucking help, and i would suggest that everyone ignore this tripfag. He is some kind of psychopath and has no interest in actually helping you with your problems. He is trying to manipulate you, and he is terrible at it.
>>
>>16483652
I'm being very open about it, there's no hidden manipulation/attempt involved. This OP asked me to come to this thread and offer my advice, so I did. Nothing sinister about that, is there?
>>
>>16483626

I've been printing off e-mails between myself and management and taken them home, have saved every single text from them on my phone and have made photocopies of potentially incriminating money-bags that were incorrectly signed and hidden them at work as well as keeping copies for myself.

If the police become involved, I am crystal.
>>
>>16483680
Well then the inly thing to do now is keep it up and be patient. Sounds like they're going to get an unexpected surprise if they try and fire you lol.
>>
>>16483607
No problem, anon, wish you the best of luck in your endeavors! I hope you get a job that pays you double what this one did!

And my wording has been on point today, so thank you!!
>>
>>16483263
Has it occurred to you that they might have found the thief but have to keep that fact secret while they and the cops build the case against him?

This story might not be all about you.
>>
>>16483680
>If the police become involved, I am crystal.
Mate, "crystal" means that you understand something or that it's been made clear, as in "the instructions were crystal clear". The prhrase you're looking for is "I'm golden", which means you're in a winning position.
>>
>>16483263
you stole it didn't you
>>
>>16485138
This

Listen, you are acting pretty paranoid, which in turn makes you look like you have something to hide.

Let them finish their investigation.

How do you know they haven't gone through the tapes second by second?

How do you know they aren't corroborating this instance with 13 other unsolved instances involving your manager?

How do you know that this wasn't just a test to see that you followed procedures regardless of what your manager told you?

Point is, you dont know anything and they havent fired you so go about your business. And who stole the money (or mistakenly gave it away or whatever) is not your business.

Now if they try to pin it on you, then it becomes your business. But they havent, so its not.

Be friendly, be helpful, but mind your own business and stay out of theirs.
>>
>>16485147

I was very drunk and thought that my saying "crystal" would be interpreted as "clear" or "clean".

>>16485138
>>16485173

That is a possibility.

Could do without the waiting and the games though and will be expecting a grovelling apology because it's a shitty barely-minimum wage job with no prospects. Chances are, I will be looking for a different stop-gap job whatever the outcome.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.