[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to the USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1422293771739.jpg (200 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
1422293771739.jpg
200 KB, 900x601
I want to move to the USA (northeast/new england, more specifically).
I'm 19, white, from a developed country, I speak English fluently and, according to every American I've met, with an indiscernible accent, since I've lived in a community of mostly American expats during my elementary school years. My point is, I'm not a refugee who barely speaks english.
I'm on my way to earning a bachelor's degree from a good university as well.
I know that I basically have to:
>find a job
>establish residency
>apply for permanent residency after five years
I'd like advice on the best way to make this whole process go smoothly.
If I have low standards, how hard is it to find a job as a foreigner? I was under the impression that it was possible for an immigrant to join the US military and ease the naturalization process by doing so. Is that true?
Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated either way.
>>
>>16475193
Bump for interest
>>
>>16475193
You will probably go to the US on a tourist visa. That limits your stay and forbids you from working. Student visa does pretty much the same thing. Working visa requires a job offer in hand and paperwork from the employer swearing that you're uniquely qualified and not stealing a job from an American. Final option is the green card lottery - you apply and some are chosen at random. You can also marry an American.

Your best bet is a tourist visa during which you try to set up a job, then go home and apply for a working visa. Or the lottery. Or fall in love.
>>
>>16475193
Move to Canada instead. Easier to get in, cheaper education, good minimum wage and (kinda depends on the province/city) the people are astoundingly helpful. The big downsides are colder winters and an appalling lack of high fashion.

Regardless of where you choose to move, make sure you save up some money beforehand.
>>
Ahh why is Emilie/Voe posted so often here?!
>>
>>16475375
Do I need to know how to speak french? Not OP, btw.
>>
>>16475401
Nope, unless you're moving to Quebec but even there most people speak English. French will make it easier to get a job though.
>>
>>16475354
Well that fucking sucks. So there's no way I'm living in the US for an extended period of time unless I get lucky?
Can you apply every year to the green card lottery? Also, what's the official website I should refer to for the lottery?

Do you know anything about the army procedure I mentioned? I thought you could become a resident by enlisting in the US army as a foreigner but all the info I've managed to find is vague.

>>16475375
>Easier to get in
How so? Can you easily get a job as a foreigner? How does the process differ from US immigration?
>>
>>16475830
You can apply for permanent residence, it's quite a bit of paperwork but it's still less of a hassle than getting into the US. I'm on mobile right now so I can't go into too much detail but if you google "Canada permanent residence card" you'll figure it out for sure.
>>
>>16475884
I looked it up. In order to apply for permanent residency you need to have at least 12 months of work experience in Canada at least three years before you apply (?), which seems difficult considering that getting a job requires a work permit like in the US. Perhaps there's something I missed?
>>
>>16476197
Well I moved 10 years ago so things might have changed. Fill out the questionnaire on this page to see which programs you're eligible for: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
>>
>>16476254
Apparently I'm not eligible for any programs, but that might be because I have no relevant work experience. What if a student wants to immigrate though? Doesn't make much sense.

If I may ask, did you already have experience in a field of work when you immigrated? Had you been working in Canada before applying for permanent residency?
>>
>>16476272
I had never been to Canada back when I applied, so no. Are you looking to study in the country you move to? If you're looking to get a permanent job then specify that.

If you don't mind me asking, what country do you currently live in?
>>
>>16476332
No, I'm not necessarily looking to study there since I'm already on my way to completing a bachelor's degree. I specified that I wanted to get a permanent job but that didn't change anything, strangely enough.

>what country do you currently live in
France. Does that change anything?
>>
>>16476347
I entered in your information (roughly) and I got this
>>
>>16476363
That's pretty strange, man. What could be causing this if work experience isn't the issue?
>>
>>16476363
>>16476367
Oh, I clicked on "continue" after that. That's when I got told I wasn't eligible even though I entered the maximum scores in the test results section.
>>
>>16476367
No clue. You should call CIC it should be a lot easier to figure out over the phone.
>>
>>16476380
Yeah, I'll do that. Either way, from what you've experienced, becoming a permanent resident in Canada isn't all that difficult huh? I just want to leave my country once and for all and start anew somewhere else.
>>
>>16476385
As long as you speak English and want to find permanent work/contribute to society, they'll want you. Best of luck!
>>
>>16476397
Alright. Thanks anon.
>>
I'm curious to know, in which countries is it easy to become a resident or gain citizenship? Excluding shitholes where you can buy a legit passport.
>>
>>16476522
Argentina, Paraguay, Dominican Republic and Brazil are all very lax
>>
>>16475354
Great post, anon!
>>
>>16475354
I'd just like to add to this that if your country has a Visa Wavier Program then you can legally stay in the US (though not work of course) for 3 months for free.

I'd do that instead of applying for a tourist Visa but it depends on your country of course.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.