[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /adv/ Soon I need to prove myself with swimming while wearing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: pullover.jpg (106 KB, 849x1773) Image search: [Google]
pullover.jpg
106 KB, 849x1773
Sup /adv/

Soon I need to prove myself with swimming while wearing pic related. Now I want some practise before I go. Thing is I dont have anything like pic related, so what clothes should I wear to simulate swimming with pic related?

I was thinking about jeans and a sweater?
>>
>>16471472

That outfit's material is very far from jeans and a sweater. Do you have any clothing made from similar fabric? Try a lightweight jacket and slacks. If you have any overalls, try those as well.

What you need to understand is that the outfit in the picture is one solid article of clothing, and you need to recreate it. Tuck your jacket into your pants and secure it as tightly as you can. Swimming in a coverall might be restrictive to movement, and that's what they need to test you on. Don't just wear a sweater and jeans (giving you more freedom of mobility) and blow it on your actual test because you weren't prepared enough.
>>
bump

jeans and a sweater a good idea?
>>
Jeans and sweater it is. It's actually suite fun. But heavy. We did it as kids, just to know the difference, in case we ever fell.
>>
>>16471501
i dont have slacks or a coveral

i thought jeans would be the toughest and heaviest, but its not then?

how about sweatpants?

also how heavy would it be exactly? im practising it on my own, i guess it will be heavier than swimshorts but its not like i sink like a brick right?
>>
>>16471507
ok so you are saying jeans and sweater is good and the other guy is saying its bad, now im confused
>>
>>16471508

It's not just tough or heavy. It's fit. Jeans are cut and sewn differently than slacks, they will move differently especially during swimming.

What's more important though, is that you re-create the feeling of a coverall. You have to make sure your shirt/jacket connection to the pants cannot separate.

In the event of an emergency and you have to swim with a coverall, there might be limitations placed on your range of motion because your waist area is inflexible. Example: have you ever lifted your hands up and that caused your shirt to lift up at the waist? Well that doesn't happen in a coverall- lifting up your hands would tug at the crotch because it's all connected.

Swimming creates greater range of motion with arms and legs, so prepare for restricted movement when swimming in a coverall. Make sense?
>>
>>16471516
yes thanks

it just seems to me that a coveral is way wider and loser than jeans

and i dont even wear skinnyjeans (eventhough they are pretty tight fit)

and my sweaters are tighter too

but i do understand that the sweater not connected to the pants makes for more movement so I would need to tuck that in?
>>
>>16471520

The coverall in your pic doesn't look wide or loose. It looks pretty trim and fitted.

Sweaters are usually made of a loose, stretchable material. Again, coveralls are not. You need to consider the restrictive range of motion when it comes to swimming in a coverall. Just because you can swim in a stretchy sweater that's not connected to your jeans doesn't mean you are prepared to swim in a uniform that is made from inflexible fabric + entirely different shape.

Your current strategy is the equivalent of practicing with a stationary bike to prepare for a mountain biking competition.

Secure your inflexible jacket to your pants as tightly as possible, swim in shoes and whatever objets are going to be in your pockets.
>>
>>16471532
it says i just need to swim in a coveral, nothing about shoes and what not

but it does actually seem wide to what im normally wearing (im a thin guy too, tall but thin)

i might wear a tshirt under the sweater too to constrict it more then
>>
>>16471537

A t-shirt is stretchy too. Are you paying attention to anything I'm saying?

Sweater = stretchy
Coverall = not stretchy

Wear INFLEXIBLE clothing, attach it at the waist. Make sense? Ditch the sweater.
>>
>>16471557
i dont have any non-flexible clothing, except maybe a formal shirt but thats even more weird
>>
>>16471566

Your formal shirt then. A jacket. Borrow someone's work shirt.

Or don't do anything and just go with what you are gonna do, just understand that the coverall is going to be a bit different. Hope that helps, I can't repeat myself anymore.
>>
>>16471574
yeah im probably gonna do it myself i dont know where to get a coveral

i need to do 75m chest swimming and 50m back swimming with elbows above the water

this doesnt seem like much to be honest but i dont have experience with it, so I guess if I just do double or triple or even quarter of this but then with jeans and a sweater I should be safe
>>
>>16471583

Why the fuck did you ask in the first place if you already made up your mind? Dumbass. You're not going to meet the requirement.
>>
>>16471604
why not
>>
>>16471610
>>16471610
Bc other anon have you well thought out advice and you're too stupid to hear it. You can't swim the requirement, you don't have the required clothing, you don't listen, and your mind is already made up when you ask questions. I would never hire anyone like you because you're a liability to yourself and others in case of emergency.
>>
>>16471472
Do not swim with jeans and a sweater, when they het wet they get heavy and it becomes much more tiring to stay afloat
>>
>>16471639
no listen i get the full body coveral from them when i do the test

but i want to practise (which is my own free choice) before I take the test

i dont even think its required to practise I just wanna do it from myself so I have a higher chance of succeeding

>>16471643
yes that is the point i guess from swimming with a coveral?

so thats why I need to practise it
>>
>>16471639
>I would never hire anyone like you because you're a liability to yourself and others in case of emergency.

fuck you too m8

you seem to misunderstand my question

I need to do 75m chest and 50m back in a coveral they give me

I choose myself to practise for this, to have a hgiher chance of success

so I thougth I maybe try to swim on my own (freely my own choice) so I can practise and be better when I do the test

understand?
>>
>>16471583
>i dont know where to get a coveral
Gardening hardware stores and work clothes stores.
>>
If you want to try it any clothing is fine. Sweatpants and tshirt would be good. It won't be exactly the same but you'll still get some of the same effect. Disregard all the autists saying you should have an overall to try it. Just tuck in your shirt to your pants and it'll be close enough. They'll still weigh you down.

When you're swimming with your clothes on air tends to gather inside your clothes. It's a pain in the fucking ass to try and swim when there is a huge air bubble inside your shirt. So if at all possible get all the air out from inside your clothes. Breast stroke is awful when swimming with clothes on as it will easily gather more air inside your clothes.

Clothes will also add a lot of resistance so you won't be going nearly as fast as normally.
>>
>>16471508
wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

It doesnt matter, if you are semi-strong swimmer, you will be fine. if you are weak swimmer you will have trouble.
>>
>>16471741
yeah this is what i thought

it wont be 100% the same but it will definately simulate it enough and make it difficult enough

so i just do it 4x to make up for maybe a heavier coverall

>>16471746
i havent swam in ages desu but i think i am pretty strong myself

should i start maybe with a normal swim session first before i go swim like this?
>>
>>16471747
Strength doesn't have much to do with swimming. Swimming is mostly a technique sport. Also definitely start off with some normal swimming.

Swimming 500m in clothes is gonna be really fucking hard, especially if you haven't been swimming much lately. No need to go that far overkill on the training. Just try to figure out how you can swim the best while wearing clothes as you most likely have to do some adjusting to your normal technique to make swimming with clothes on easier.
>>
>>16471747
The clothing will keep you from having full mobility and will also weigh you down. It will increase your drag in the water so you have to work a lot harder than if you are in a swim suit.

Go to the pool and practice treding water and do a couple laps just to remember how hard swimming is to begin with.

Then add any pants and shirt to just get a sense of how tough it is.

I was in the US Coast Guard so I have done this.
>>
>>16471754
luckely i only need to do 75m chest and 50m back

so i think im just gonna do double that or even tripple that in my own clothes to make up for the coveral they are gonna give it

>>16471757
ok im gonna start with a normal swimming session first
>>
>>16471758
Also when adding clothes add pants first and then after you've tried out swimming in pants for a bit add a shirt. Also start out in a shallow end of the pool if at all possible.
>>
>>16471762
yeah i called my local swimmingpool and they said it is possible to do it yourself in clothes but you need to say so at the reception

probably so the lifeguards dont look weird at you and tell you to knock it off and maybe also to see if i dont sink like a brick
>>
>>16471472
I mean... why?
>>
>>16471788
its an endurance test i need to do for fire department
>>
I had to do a similar test for the armed forces and was OK without practice, even though I'm a pretty average swimmer- it's a slog but it's not a constant struggle to stay afloat or anything. You should be able to buy some cheap coveralls on Ebay if you want to be sure you can do it though.
>>
File: 1447444965095.jpg (30 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1447444965095.jpg
30 KB, 1024x768
But why
>>
>>16471807
Just wear any clothing it don't matter
>>
File: yaranaika.jpg (68 KB, 467x323) Image search: [Google]
yaranaika.jpg
68 KB, 467x323
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.