[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I be less aggressive? I do act pretty aggressive when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1437940405435.jpg (108 KB, 1024x779) Image search: [Google]
1437940405435.jpg
108 KB, 1024x779
How do I be less aggressive?

I do act pretty aggressive when I'm joking, (physical contact, raise my voice, jokingly make fun of them) but I'm not angry when I do so and it seems that people are taking it as if I'm angry because they cannot tell if I'm joking or not.

I feel like it stems from my insecurities but those aren't getting fixed any time soon. How do I be less aggressive?

I can give examples if need be. I wrote about 3 huge posts but they got deleted because fuck my mouse.
>>
>>17243228
Examples
>>
>>17243234

Today my friends and I decided to play a game that, I didn't want to play, one wanted to play (Friend A), and one had played up to the final boss (Friend B).

Beforehand, I joke to B that he didn't beat the game. B responds, "I made it to the final boss".
I respond, "This is a yes or no question. Did you beat the game?" I was raising my voice and would like to think that I was smiling to let on I was joking.
He says, "No I didn't beat it.". I laugh and play through the tutorial level before passing it to A. A plays for about ten to fifteen minutes before he dies to a boss. A passes the controller to B and I suggest that he gives it back to A since he beat the game before.
He retorts, "Screw you, I thought I didn't beat the game before. And the last I played was years ago" I say that you made it to final boss and you're better at these types of games than him, fully expecting him to just breeze through the game.
We go back forth, B saying he's not that good at the game and me saying he's better than A so maybe give him more chances. I didn't say I didn't want to take any turns however.
B eventually dismisses me and says, Whatever you say. Whatever."

I get pretty annoyed when people dismiss me so I take out my phone and browse social media realizing the argument was stupid and I probably should've just left the whole situation alone.

B dies to the same boss A died to and I beat the boss. I pass the controller to A and jokingly yell, "Maybe I'm the best at this game. I should take less turns."
I forget what B said in response here.
Friend A plays for about 3 minutes, dies, and passes it to B. B plays for about a minute and dies.
I say, "Wowie, maybe A is really better than you. I should take what I said earlier back".
B says, "See, I let up and this is what happens". Or something along the lines of, I give you an inch and you take a mile.
>>
>>17243301
>>17243234

Time passes where I'm not paying attention because I checked out.

They reach the final boss in about 40 minutes. A insists I have a turn after the two of them died to the final boss. I get the boss down further than they did.
B says, "No, anon is gonna beat the boss". I give him the controller and say
"Since I'm so good you can beat the rest". He refuses the controller until I chug a solid amount of alcohol and then he finally accepts the controller.

It essentially ends there for this example. I'll keep writing more.
>>
>>17243301
>>17243307
Hmm. In this scenario there are two things at play.

The first thing, friend B has an inferiority complex and does NOT like to lose. That's pretty clear.

The second thing, you're almost taking advantage of his problem for kicks.

I think this is an example of a weak friendship, maybe there are some buried resentments?
>>
>>17243322
>The second thing, you're almost taking advantage of his problem for kicks.
I didn't mean to play his problem for kicks when I gave him the controller though. I legitimately didn't want to play and I tried to pass of me not wanting to play as a joke rather than killing the mode and saying "I don't want to play this game."
>>
I'm going to preface this one by saying my older sister is the type of person who will screencap a facebook post of you attending something "shameful" (an event with drinking, a greek life event, a dumb post about food a 14 year old makes) and then post in the group chat of all siblings and make fun of them.

My younger sister is graduating from college and my immeditate family is present. I haven't graduating from college yet. My older sister who graduated from an ivy league school and is in med school makes a silly mistake (by silly mistake I mean forget a word, or accidentally walk the wrong way), and I joke "Guess they didn't teach you that at [ivy league school]". I'm the type of guy who thinks running gags are funny, so every time she makes a silly mistake.

Eventually this leads to my older sister and younger sister makes jabs at me for not graduating yet. Which I don't mind, it's a freebie since I'm making jokes about college education when I haven't finished mine yet after 5+ years. But they were acting like as if I shouldn't make jokes about anyone at unless I'm "better" than they are.

I was also half making jokes about my younger sister like saying "grats grad" or other things. It eventually reached the point I couldn't call my younger sister who graduated with a 3.8 from an honors college only 40 people from 5 colleges are allowed into, a dumbo without her thinking I was being hurtful.
>>
>>17243322
>I think this is an example of a weak friendship, maybe there are some buried resentments?

I would normally agree with you here, but I see this kind of thing happening in all of my long lasting relationships.

I tried to talk about and bury what I had thought the lingering resentments a long time ago and I thought things were okay. But recently, I feel like my behavior is just causing a lot of problems with everyone I interact with on more than an acquaintance level.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.