[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Computer vs Motorcycle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: yamaha-mt-10-1.jpg (127 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
yamaha-mt-10-1.jpg
127 KB, 960x640
I am a rising junior in college and I need to make a decision whether or not to spend my money that I saved ($4500) on a new motorcycle or a computer. The reason why I want a motorcycle is because I take private music lessons downtown which is a 15 minute drive and I want to volunteer as a EMT. The motorcycle would help cut time because taking the bus for 30 minute lessons cuts 2 hours out of my day. I want to get a motorcycle because parking is also cheaper at my university (and bitches). Now on the other hand my laptop does not run some applications that I need for school very well,but if I invest in a computer then I won't have enough for a motorcycle. If I was to get a motorcycle I would spend most of my savings, if I was to buy a computer I would spend around $1000.
>>
>>17240942
There's no fucking way you need a 1000$ computer. An amd 6 core gaming rig with 8gigs of ram and a 2gb gddr5 video card won't run you more than 500$. A cheap asus laptop can run most everything you need unless you're doing 3D design, autocad, or graphic intensive work and will cost you around 300 to 400 dollars

Get the motorcycle. It has real practical uses and provides essential flexability
>>
Do not forget that there is more expense in owning a vehicle than simply the cost of the vehicle. You can probably buy a beater automobile for way less than $4500, the cost of insurance will be lower, and your chance of dying or in a crippling accident will be way, way lower.

If you're really using your private music lesson (how much is this?) as the main reason you want a bike, how often do you actually go to that lesson? You might find that taking an uber twice a week is more economical.

Also with the computer, what are you running? I think if you actually need it (and will use it) you're going to get a lot more out of your money and plus it will help you with college.
>>
>>17240942
A new bike is unnecessary. Buy a used one for like $2k and drop $600-900 on a laptop. Check newegg for open box deals. I bought a gaming laptop off of there for $900 that retails for $1500. Ive been using it as my main pc and it has never failed me.
>>
>>17241009
I am not only using the motorcycle for music lessons, I also want to do other things that are off campus like volunteer and go to meetups/friends. I could not do it before because of transportation issues. The software that I want to run on my computer will be photoshop and illustrator,and I guess some other coding ides but my laptop suffices for that.
>>
>>17240942
You don't need a motorcycle. You're making excuses to buy one because you think it's cool. I don't think you need a computer either, but if yours isn't running apps you need, look into buying one used.

Go take a look at your student loans and see if you still need to buy either those things or not. Don't be a stupid, use your money wisely. You're not rich.
>>
>>17241033
Any laptop running an i5, i7, or a 6 core processor with 8 gigs of ram will easily meet your needs and are defiantly under 1k usd. You don't need a rice up laptop for image editing or code compiling. Just make sure it has an ssd>>17241035
>>
>>17241033
If you got some garbage laptop with like an AMD E1-2500 or something, yes, you should get something better. Spending $1000 on a laptop for Photoshop is a waste of money. Unless you're working on really large files, a 2 core Intel with a passmark score (cpubenchmark.net) of 2000+ will be fine. That means a $300 i3, or something used. Hell, a used Fujitsu T901 (which is a convertible with a pen -- tremendously useful for Illustrator or other draw programs) is under $300 on Ebay.

Yes, having your own wheels is useful. How are you planning on paying for gas and insurance? Have you actually bothered to check what insurance would cost you for a motorcycle? The difference between insuring a motorcycle and a car where I live for someone under the age of 25 (or 30 for some insurance companies) is over $1500. Again, you can pick up a beater for way less than $4500 and your chances of dying driving it are significantly lower.
>>
>>17241218
this guy knows where its at
source: MC owner and laptop handler
>>
>>17240942
couldn't you buy both with that money?
>>
>>17241218
I do have a pretty good job on campus. So I will probably use half the money I get from there on my misc. stuff including gas and insurance. I actually have not checked how much money it
Would cost for insurance but I heard if you take the msf course your insurance becomes a lot cheaper.
>>
Get both
>>
Are you a licensed rider? If not, then do not get the bike. You only want it because you think it will make you cool. You will also not be able to conveniently haul your instrument.

This is coming from a daily motorcycle commuter who also plays an instrument.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.