[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting university in a few months. I need some survival tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: received_891635040946034.gif (799 B, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
received_891635040946034.gif
799 B, 250x250
Starting university in a few months. I need some survival tips on how to succeed socially and academically. Are these years at uni going to be better than my high school years?
>>
>Are these years at uni going to be better than my high school years?
Only if you decide to take advantage of it.

It's a full reset. Everybody is on equal footing. No popular kids from your school have anybody there except maybe a handful of people that happen to be going to the same school.

LIVE IN THE DORMS YOUR FIRST YEAR OR TWO. This is where you meet everybody and where you will have the most fun. The first year of college is an absolute fucking joke so don't fret about it getting in the way of your studies.

BE FRIENDLY. SAY YES TO ALL INVITATIONS. I don't give a shit if you get invited to a disney midnight viewing party. You god damn go. This is where a lot of idiotic man-children go and finally have independence, but these are also the same sort of "HA HA HOW CHILDISH AREN'T WE SO SILLY BEING ADULTS AND STILL LIKING THIS XDDDD" bullshit that all the hot freshmen girls go to.

Again, nobody knows who you are. Fresh slate. Total chance to be whoever you want to be without any interference. Run with it.
>>
>>17239702

Talk to people the first day. There sooner the better.ions.

If you want to work efficiently, get the exams from the previous years as soon as you can and learn precisely what you'll need to answer the questions
>>
File: 1461895053028.jpg (61 KB, 406x480) Image search: [Google]
1461895053028.jpg
61 KB, 406x480
>>17239702

>I need some survival tips on how to succeed socially and academically.

Sure thing, senpai
>Join a party frat,
>find a drunk girl and get her even more drunk,
>wait until she passes out then start fingering her
>????
>Profit

On a serious note though, don't be an awkward autistic fuck and just concentrate in your studies.
>>
>Will these years be better than my high school years?
It depends. If you take advantage of opportunities that you get, then yeah.

My advice to you is to make sure you make room for studying, mainly for classes that are required for your major. From my experience, gen Ed courses are easier than highschool courses or on the same level. Depending on what you choose to take, you will most likely be able to get away without studying for those. I also suggest that you start your homework and other assignments as early as possible, so that you have time to ask questions if you get stuck. You should take advantage of your professors' office hours if you need help.

In terms of succeeding socially, just talk to people. It's relatively easy to make acquaintances in college. I'm pretty socially awkward, and I've managed to get to know quite a few people. Just be friendly.
>>
Talk to people. Don't be shy, cause everyone is fucking shy and scared their first day. Everyone is looking for friends. You can tell who will drop out and who will stay.

Focus on studies, and don't fuck up your first semester. Learn how to study.

Go to all the stupid events, and don't care what people think of you. You meet people there that aren't fucking weirdos. Do the stupid clubs and stuff because you met people.

Don't forget you're there to learn, having fun is a not the main reason you're there.

>Are these years at uni going to be better than my high school years?

How should I know. They better fucking be though. Just don't be a degenerate.
>>
Tips for op.
Keep a clean n tidy room. This helps calm your mind and boosts your positive feelings about yourself

Exercise regularly.

Take your multivitamins. Unless you're going to eat right, you'll be nutrient deficient. Get the shit your body needs.

Get 6.5 to 7 hrs of sleep don't skimp.

Find clubs for like minded individuals for your academic path. This is social networking 101.

Take notes on everything. Always. Review these notes each day. Establish a pattern of exposure to your chosen academic path. This will help with retention

Ramen, eggs, cheap vegetables , beans, these can be cheap and filling foods when you're poor as fuck

If you can get a part time job, look for hotels that need setup/breakdown staff for banquets or work as a waiter. You'll bring home food more often than not.

Don't sit on your ass. Always be learning a marketable skill. Learn the shit out of Microsoft office and quickbooks for business. This will show any employer that you actually know how to use business level software worth a fuck.

Make several versions of your resumes when looking for jobs. Tailor and tweak them based on the kind of job. An office manager resume isn't going to look the same as a steel mill worker resume, now is it? Be savy.

If you have problems with a subject, postit notes. Fucking everywhere. Exposure will help retention.

If you have a car, keep it in running order. Make friends with gearheads.

Get a steamer chest or large storage chest with a lock on it . Keep your valuable shit in there if you have a roommate. always do this.

Some pet meds can be used by humans if you don't have healthcare coverage. Fishmox is the same as amoxacillin for example.

Bc powder and goodys powder are godsend when you have headaches.

Use smartphone calendar and synch it with Outlook if you use outlook. Keep your schedule sates and contacts up to date always.

Drink tea, it's cheaper than coffee. Brew it at home.

Always keep your fucking clothes clean.
>>
>>17239702
Are you a rich American or no?

That makes the big difference.

If you're a fucking trust fund babby who has hundreds of thousands of dollars in the parent's bank who can afford dorms and frats and shit, then it doesn't matter.
Go to uni, play games for 4 years, get drunk, impregnate dozens of women.

That's the American dream.

But if you're a real person who faces real consequences, go to fucking class.
Seeing how you're dismissive and acting like games are fun, you're probably some business major.
Doesn't matter.
Go to class.
Every class.
Do their work.

It took me about an hour a day to finish all my course load.
Graduated with 3.99.
And that was with lazy ass work.

If I can do that, you can.

But that's focusing on work.
Do your work first. Then get pissed with your friends.

Fuck bitches.
Have fun.
But focus on classes.

You got an exam at 7 AM, don't go out that night you faggot.

Uni is easy as fuck if you're not an American retard who watches too many movies.
>>
>>17239954
Cont.

Treat school like a job. It's your first obligation. Don't let the lack of parental tethers go to your head

Always do your homework first while the lesson is fresh in your mind. That way when you do go to have fun, you can do so and not freak the fuck out.

Drink and smoke in extreme moderation. If you enjoy weed, try to seriously cut back. You need that short term memory more than a happy buzz. I'd treat weed or hash more like a medicine for say, when you have a crazy migraine and just need sleep.

Don't date girls at bars. Ever.

Avoid people who will ask to borrow money. Always. This will end up being a problem later on. If they have to borrow money from you, get some form of fucking collateral of equivalent value.

Go to school events . Great for mingling, getting out, enjoying social exposure , and giving your normal life some variety. Helps fight off depression.

Sit in rows 1 - 3 in your classes. Helps to have the prof know your face.

Always carry a backup phone battery, a lighter, a utility tool/leatherman, and a bottle of water. All practical choices and useful.

Developed a network of trusted friends who you can rely on if things go tits up.

Make sure your phone has an ICE list on it. In case of emergencies. Have one in your wallet as well.

Shop goodwill for clothes . you'll save tons of money.

If you're short on cash, donating blood plasma or flipping craigslist curb alerts is a quick way to make extra cash.

Meditate 3x a week for 15 minutes with deep full breaths. Find a calming and soothing music track to listen to. Helps reinforce structure, fights depression, and allows you to college and focus your thoughts so you can clearly think of your goals
>>
>>17239983
OP here:
I'm majoring in accounting so you guessed that right.
I actually live in Toronto and I'm going to be living at a cousin's house that is about a 10-15 minute bus ride from the uni. My cousin lives with his siblings and they all work and go to school. But since I'm away from home with no parents or parental figures, I'm practically on my own.
>>
Does the fact that I live in Ontario, Canada make a difference for any of the advice yall gave me?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.