[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any ways to deal with anxiety at home? Without illegal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (337 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337 KB, 1000x750
Are there any ways to deal with anxiety at home? Without illegal or perscription medications?
>>
Id suggest counselling, it is available online but it'd be better for your condition to do it face to face. Just coming back to normal myself after a violent assault in the winter thanks to cognitive behaviour therapy from my counsellor.
>>
>>17237552
I am sorry for what happened to you.

Where can you get counselling online? Does it really help? Isn't anxiety a physical brain chemistry thing, like depression or PTSD?
>>
>>17237545
Most people would tell you to do breathing exercises like focussing on the breath, the idea being when you're anxious, your breath is in a disarray.

Essentially how it works is

Thought > Feelings > Physical reaction.

If you can train the body's physical reaction to anxious thoughts back to a normal state (normal breathing in this case), it kinda works like how it would in reverse.

Normal breathing > Feel restful > Anxious/Urgency provoking thoughts lose their hold.

Needless to say, it always helps to scrutinize them with a little more sincerity like putting them down on a piece of paper, identifying the illogical/unrealistic distortions(kinda like going "oh shit, that is just silly of me"), after realizing them, replacing them with more realistic/apparent thoughts.
>>
>>17237563
So I can stop being sad and nervous just by breathing right?

Why doesn't everybody do this?
>>
L-Theanine.
> Pic related, it's the brand I use.

Take 400mg and you will definitely feel a decrease in anxiety. I am one of those people who think 99.9% of supplements are absolute bullshit and when I tried it I was fully expecting it to do nothing. I was very surprised to find that it actually works.

Keep in mind that it's not as strong as a prescription med so don't expect Xanax like results but if your anxiety is at a 7 it should bring you down to a more manageable 3.
>>
>>17237579
How do I get that in northern europe? I've never seen it at grocery stores.
>>
>>17237545
Meditation and exercise.
>>
Step 1: Quit being a little bitch!
>>
>>17237575
Try it yourself first. During your next anxious episode, just notice how you lose awareness of your breath and it goes haywire.

The first step is "seeing" this. If you're unaware this is even happening, you wouldn't even know what to correct. Then go in reverse like I mentioned in the previous post. Simply bearing attention to the fact that your breath has gone out of control can be helpful.

This works because you then realise your breath is something you *do* have control over, and if it's somewhere near the heart of this, restoring it to a normal state helps you regain control (which you never lost to begin with, only lost awareness of the fact)

Again, investigating the thoughts like writing them down on a piece of paper is equally important. You then approach it from both a physiological and psychological perspective by doing this. This is essentially what a therapist tries to accomplish, to make you "see" it for yourself how unfounded your thoughts can be at times and how unknowingly through habit and reinforcing, you've come to believe them to be true without question. They help you put the lie to these automatic thoughts so to speak.
>>
>>17237586
How long is meditation supposed to take before it starts working?

I'm in that spot where I spend one of my coffee breaks to lock myself in the bathroom to cry for 15 minutes about 3-4 times per week in order to remain functional enough to keep working.
>>
>>17237592
Does that keep me from crying? I need to stop uncontrollably crying.

My thoughts are completely founded in reality. The only reason I know they are irrational is because people keep telling me it's not supposed to be a big deal that causes me distress.

So I am distressed because my unreasonable distress keeps me incapable of having the source of distress removed. This upsets me.
>>
>>17237597
I'm sorry to hear that, anon. Is there a reason you can't take medication? If your anxiety is that severe, I definitely think you should at least see a psychiatrist. SSRIs helped me a lot with becoming stable.

Meditation started becoming really effective for me within a week, but it might be different for you. Whenever I started getting anxious or thinking anxious thoughts, I just shut it down by meditating.
>>
>>17237607
I can't get anxiety medication because I'm trying to get myself on another medication right now and I can't show any weakness to the psychologist. They want me to fail and I have to fight them even if it kills me. There are things I can't obtain illegally, so I have to fake it for as long as I can and find some other ways to calm down.
>>
>>17237619
Ah. You're the anon from the trans thread yesterday.

Hate to break it to everyone in this thread but you're giving advice that will help this anon to help them hurt themselves. Their doctors are right for treating them like this.
>>
>>17237628
I either get into treatments or I die trying. There are no third options. And while I really prefer not dying, this is the most important matter in existence right now.

I'm not just going to give up and wander off when I run out of strength to die. I will kill myself once I do. If they want me to live they would better let me do it in my own terms.
>>
>>17237636
Right. An an anorexic person thinks the only way to be happy is to not eat or to die. You are severely mentally ill and the only way you are ever going to be happy is to submit to your doctors and let them treat your actual issues. Not the thing you, in your mentally ill state, have fixated on.

Thread from yesterday is still up if anyone wants to read it and see what this anons actual problems are.
>>
>>17237654
I don't care. I am going to have to fight them and I will continue to fight them for as long as I'm capable. I either win or I die. I already failed once and failing again is not an option.
>>
>>17237654
Link?
>>
>>17237703
Here ya go
>>17234974
>>
>>17237713
What the shit.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.