[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a finance degree redpilled?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1429850100481.jpg (275 KB, 857x721) Image search: [Google]
1429850100481.jpg
275 KB, 857x721
Is a finance degree redpilled?
>>
>>17230143
>tfw going to study aerospace engineering
>>
You gotta knock it off with the redpilled stuff, but yes. Finance is a great degree because it's a solid skill that every business has a need for. I'd recommend strongly considering going on to get an MBA in finance or something related, like quantitative analysis, statistics, or behavioral economics as well, though.

One thing to consider: make sure you have a passion for it. If you go into a field you have a passion for, even if it's a "shit tier" one, you'll do better than people who got a good degree they're not passionate about. I know a guy with an anthropology degree who goes around surveying African areas for different companies interested in building markets there. He's having the time of his life. He was able to do this because he has a passion for anthropology, which is normally not a fruitful degree. Likewise, I know more than one electrical engineers who hold low IT/computer jobs because they fucking hate EE. If you were to not have a passion for anything, obviously degrees with solid application would be smarter than "fuzzy" degrees because they're safer. You can fall back on them. But if you can really throw yourself into a field you have passion for with gusto, you'll do better in that field than in anything else. So make sure you are really interested in finance, because god knows there are plenty of miserable business students.
Also, try to go somewhere with some prestige. There are a few business people who get to lead thrilling lives making big deals or expanding international companies. Then there are the fast majority, who widdle away their time in sterile offices in boring towns. Going to a school like the University of Virginia or Caltech will ensure you're more likely to lead the former, rather than the latter, form of life.
>>
>>17230143
Observations on this graphic:

as I've been looking around at grad schools I've been looking at a lot of statistics, and this chart doesn't line up with what every article and major website has said. Here's what I'm noticing:

> park administration
sure, park/leisure/recreation is kind of a lame degree on paper, but it's actually a profitable path with high job satisfaction

> theology
the placement might be okay, but it's important to understand: theology/divinity is one of the least valuable degrees in terms of pay, but it's also the #1 best in terms of job satisfaction

> sociology
if anything is suicide tier, it's this - sociology tends to lead to jobs in things like corrections and social work

> political science
this is one of the least valuable bachelor's, but one of the most valuable master's

> wildlife
depends on what you mean. Animal science is one of the lowest paying careers. Forestry is one of the best-paying.

> architecture
this has been a shit-tier option for a while now. There just aren't jobs.

> law
again, details. The market is saturated so it's hard to find a job, but if you do get one, it's one of the highest paying and most valuable.

> vet sciences
this is bad-tier in terms of pay.

> college education
shit-tier in pay

> criminology
this is ranked the #1 worst postgrad degree by numerous sources. It should be shit-tier

> statistics
this should be unbelievable-tier. A PhD in statistics is the #1 most valuable degree right now, and an MS also makes the top 10

> biology
it can lead to good things like biomed engineering and forestry, but on its own it's pretty useless
>>
>>17230209
My friend is going into stats considering it now though.
>>
>>17230143
This pic is beyond retarded, software engineering is for people who are to stupid for a regular computer science degree
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.