[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just put in my two weeks at my current job, but I just scored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: thanks.png (51 KB, 380x256) Image search: [Google]
thanks.png
51 KB, 380x256
I just put in my two weeks at my current job, but I just scored an interview out-of-state that I will have to travel for before the two weeks are up. The date is inflexible. I told my bosses about it and they reluctantly agreed to give me a couple days off for it. They were pretty pissed.

To make up for it, I offered to work a couple days after my two weeks. My fiancee strongly disagrees with this move because the way she sees it, verbatim, "You're done there, there's no reason to give them anything else." However, I want to make sure I leave on good terms, because I don't want to leave them with a bad taste in their mouths because we're on really good professional terms.

My fiancee has never had a full-time job like this before, so I don't think her decision is well-informed. We're both being pretty stubborn about this, though. What do you guys think?
>>
>>17227257
It depends on how soon the new job wants you to start. Don't work the extra 2 days if the job wants you to start by then. If the job doesn't start right away then there is no harm in working the extra 2 days. 2 days more of pay, right?
>>
>>17227316
They said they will hire someone within the next couple of weeks. My boss says that if they really are a good company, they would honor my two weeks and interview me afterwards, but that's cutting it really, really close to their timeline, and I don't want to push anything.

My fiancee wants to start the move ASAP though, so I think that's why she's being pushy with me being done with this place. She's telling me I'm flat out wrong about how quitting works, but I just don't feel right about it.
>>
>>17227257
if you have PTO this shouldn't be an issue. you have the days(presumably) and they've been approved.
>>
Giving two weeks is a move of good faith on it's own. You're under no obligation to actually give notice to your employer.
If you have other shit that needs taken care of during those two weeks, you flat out do it. You're leaving the company, so neither you nor your employer have a vested interest in giving a shit about what you're doing. You should wrap up your projects and make sure people know what was going on, that's all the 2 weeks is for.
>>
>>17227257
It's a good move by you, commonly known as - not burning your bridges.

You scored the interview, but did you actually get the job?
And if you did get the job but you find out the grass is not greener on the other side then your former employers may take you back if you struggle to find work afterwards.

Those two puny days may just be your safety net.

Source - the exact same thing has happened to me
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.