[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn Russian all by myself. Any tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: IMG-20160606-WA0000.jpg (144 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160606-WA0000.jpg
144 KB, 1600x900
I want to learn Russian all by myself.
Any tips?
>>
Do as the Russians do.
They learned Russian when they were only 2 years old!

So, just the usual stuff. Go kill bears with your bear hands, drink copious amounts of vodka, perform outrageously dangerous acts and post them on Youtube, and sing the national anthem with pride every day.
>>
>>17226449
It all depends on what languages do you know and what do you want to learn russian for.
There are tons of study materials online, listen to audio, learn grammar.
Talk with russian speakers on the internet or irl.
I'd advise you watch classic soviet films and maybe tv shows (modern ones are mostly shit or western remakes, though good exist). Russian isn't as fast as French, but the word order may be hard to understand.
Have no idea how easy to find videos are in the english segment internet.
There is some kind of meme in Russian circles that many Russian tourists abroad are rude and obnoxious as fuck, so prepare yourself if you're gonna meet them. Like many other foreign language users they'll teach you to swear, when you didn't ask for it.
Many are good, i just warned.
>>
>>17226449
What I do is that i pretend to learn the languages. Learn 21 of the most common phrases, and say those over and over. Then mix it in with random russian accents. I've been a translator overseas for about 11 years with 9 different languages like this. I really only speak romance languages, but i've been hired to do Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Lithuanian.
>>
File: 1465111095456.jpg (49 KB, 554x595) Image search: [Google]
1465111095456.jpg
49 KB, 554x595
>>17226449
Play CS:GO
>>
Go to /int/, many russians there
>>
I am in the same boat

I am a Russian citizen (lol) but I left when I was like a year old in 1997. So I never really began to speak the language. But my first word was one in Russian, pronounced as Odin.

Now here I am at 20 not being able to speak the language of a country I hold citizenship for.
>>
Duolingo is a good place to start from nothing

You can learn the basics there (or some other site) and then once you have the hang of it, go to lang-8.com, write some blog entries and get feedback from natives.

Once you feel like you understand enough, find Russian communities online and lurk a lot. Watch news, shows etc. in Russian, even if you don't understand 100%, it helps you get the flow of the language.
>>
One more thing: Eventually you'll get to a point where you don't just want to lurk, but make sure you're posting regularly too. You have to speak a language to actually get good at it.
>>
>>17228063
Do you plan returning? Even if you don't Russian has great literature and it's a good example of a Slavic language, so you may learn it slowly.
It is definitely harder than English in terms of grammar. All those genders, conjugations. Sadly, Russians themselves struggle too, even as adults, although it's kind of a bad sign of not reading enough fiction.
Sorry for the question, but some of your relatives may know Russian and teach you, no?
>>
>>17228081
Lol, it may take quite a lot of time to go from zero to posting, ya dumayu.
Nevertheless, great advice, when you type people can't hear your accent (why i like 4chan, yeah). Maybe start a blog in Russian, I did that with English.

Make sure to distinguish swearing from not swearing when talking to Russians, though (if you play online games with them it must be easy)
>>
>>17226449
CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE
https://youtu.be/JSln1wzWK7o
https://youtu.be/BnTW6fZz-1E
>>
>>17228098
Fuck going back. But obviously I still want to know the language.

And Nope, I'm adopted, so my most relatives are NY Brand Italians. (Russian nationality law allows those who were adopted to keep their citizenship)
>>
i am interested in learning russian. i descend from the Romanov family. my family had to move to germany because of the commies
>>
У тeбя ничeгo нe пoлyчитcя, aнoн, cмиpиcь
Pyccкий нe нyжeн кcтaти гoвopя
>>
>>17228311
>У тeбя ничeгo нe пoлyчитcя, aнoн, cмиpиcь
>Pyccкий нe нyжeн кcтaти гoвopя
english please
>>
File: Rusia 1.jpg (297 KB, 1200x1035) Image search: [Google]
Rusia 1.jpg
297 KB, 1200x1035
>>17226449
Hey I've been learning Russian by myself for two years or so. I still suck but I'm in love with this language.

1. Learn the basics from some popular website. The alphabet is the first thing you have to learn.
http://www.russianforfree.com/
http://www.russianlessons.net/lessons/getting_started.php
2. Find and print tables with all the cases. You don't need to learn this yet, but have it always handy.
3. Get many resources for studying, don't stick to one:
- Duolingo (this is very useful and fun, you can have it on your phone)
- Anki (it works like flashcards, you can sync it on many devices)
- Find someone who speaks russian that's interested in your native language (Interpals, maybe)
- Try to find a book you can carry with you all the time, and read it when you're free.
- Music and movies. I think I got half of my vocabulary from reading lyrics.
- Use Wiktionary/Bикиcлoвapь for declensions and definitions. I found it very reliable.

Of course that's speaking from my own experience, and I've still a looong way to go to get decent.

cyкa блядь
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.