[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things were never this bad in my life. Although, I never talked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1460085280333.jpg (148 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1460085280333.jpg
148 KB, 640x1136
Things were never this bad in my life. Although, I never talked much with my sister, we did share a few moments. and she bought me gifts. Recently she resigned from her job and I came to know that she is depressed and also paranoid. I came back home from college. I have been taking care for her for a few days now. Today she attempted suicide. Now she is sleeping. What happened to her? Will things be back to normal ever again?
>>
That sucks. :(

Hopefully things get better. I wish you the best.
>>
I can somewhat relate to this, and the trouble with family is you often feel it is your responsibility to help, like if you don't you're betraying them, but as with everyone, they have to find their own will to live. Let her know you're there for her and waiting to listen if ever she needs to talk, apart from that I'm afraid there is nothing you can do, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If she is getting too out of hand, a danger to herself and others, maybe talk to someone about getting her help. I know suicidal attempts qualify as being a danger to herself, but as someone who has been there many many times, I can tell you that they can bring about a sense of realization, and a new will to live. As long as the things she is doing aren't too bad, maybe just cutting for the sensation, then you don't need to follow her around or stick her in a padded room. Hope this helps OP. xx
>>
If she tried to kill herself she needs to be put into a psychiatric facility for her own safety. You should and whoever knows her should be working towards having her admitted right now. It might be possible to do this through the emergency department at your hospital. You and your family need to get off your asses and do this now if you haven't already. I mean that in the best way possible, it's for her own well being.
>>
>>17226300
I don't think immediate action has to be taken until looking at the situation in its entirity, i.e. What was done, why it was done, and where it was done. I have had many attempts and only taken myself to the emergency department once where they said you're fine, go home. Many acts are not so much suicide attempts as they are pain relief or coping methods, admittedly not good ones. I wouldn't be throwing someone in a ward just because they showed unfavourable emotions until trying other things first, like talking to them, and them having them talk to a trained professional.
>>
>>17226321
Not putting her into immediate care is a huge risk to take for little benefit. Also the hospital you went to is shit for turning you away if they had a psych ward onsite and a bed to give you within a reasonable time period.
>>
>>17226324
I see what you're saying of course, but a suicide attempt could simply be feeling down, sitting in the bathroom and cutting your wrist with a blade, not drawing much blood, do you see what I'm saying. Many suicide attempts are not actually fueled by an immediate desire to die, and a lot of restraint is exercised. I think a necessary step is counselling, but not hospitalisation, unless it continues, gets worse or the counsellor says they need to be monitored.
I mean, yeah it sucked a bit but I understand why they sent me home. My cuts were not deep, not even cuts just scratches, it was more of a freak out then an attempt. I called an ambulance because I felt very unstable and don't cope well in those situations, so I wanted to be watched, but then I calmed down, was interviewed, and sent home, which is where I wanted to be. The next day I had a visit from a crisis team who told me I could always call if I was feeling unsteady, and I was ok. Sorry I kinda shared my own story there OP, but it might help you understand your sister's situation a little bit more. Sometimes it is best to let people make their own mistakes.
>>
She is taking anti depressant medicines and sleeping pills. Attempting to end life was diagnosed by her pshichiatrist. He didn't mention anything about admitting her anywhere.
>>
>>17226333
I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely. Waiting to see what happens next is a terrible thing to do for someone who you love. Imagine you do that and the next day your sister is dead. That's a mistake that can't be undone and one that would haunt you forever.
>>
>>17226339
I don't know what you mean by diagnosed. Did she tell her psychiatrist what she did and he confirmed it was a suicide attempt? Also if she is seeing a professional that's a good thing, and obviously she has seen him after last night. They will take care of her and give her ways to improve her health, whether she chooses to take their advice or not is up to her.
>>
>>17226339
You can start the conversation with him and see what he thinks about it. In most cases the patient is there for a few weeks and is under constant care throughout their stay.
>>
>>17226343
I didn't say wait and see what happens next, I said hospitalisation isn't the answer. I also said talking to her and arranging for her to talk to a professional are the next step. You took what I said completely the wrong way.
>>
Her manager offered her to work at a different location when she turned in her resignation letter. And she asked for time to decide whether to quit or take the transfer. Her time is up. The manager called today morning and she said didn't pick up. I think she needs the work to keep busy. She is not the kind who will sit unemployed at home. That's what might have triggered her suicide attempt too.
>>
>>17226356
I have a sister who quit her job because she just couldn't stand it in the end. It took her a while to find something else but she found something she enjoyed more. This could be good for her, and keeping busy with a job she doesn't want to do will be no good. Maybe find other things to keep her busy.
>>
>>17226365
I guess you're right. It's her decision in the end but I'll advise her to quit that job.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.