[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing my perspective to be more positivr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: WgScDYB.jpg (69 KB, 381x543) Image search: [Google]
WgScDYB.jpg
69 KB, 381x543
So, my dream is that after college i want to buy a van, live out of it, travel the US, and do /out/ things. How im going to do this, i don't know, but that's not what i need advice on.

I want to travel in this van because i think that it will make me happy. I will be able to travel to any part of the country, and still have sort of a home/place to sleep. I can do whethewhatever i want whenever i want. I enjoy what i go to college for, but when i see my future i don't see myself working a job, i see myself driving this van. I just see college as a fallback, if i eventually get tired of traveling i have my degree to fall back on, so i can still land a job and settle down.

Now my problem is, that i see it as childish, or lazy. I think to myself "man id love to live my life like this!" But then i think to myself that its lazy or wrong to live a life like that. Like how dare i live a life that i want to live. I lookdown on the life that i want to live. That living like that will make me less than other people. I get to live in a van and live my life doing whatever i want whenever i want. While other people work, and have stresses, pay bills etc. And somehow i got the idea in my head that by not living my life similar to other people that i am living a lesser life. That since I'm not working/paying bills or whatever that i am lazy, or less of an adult than other people. That its unfair that i can live a life that i want to live so easily, while others are working so hard to live a happy life. I think that im like a child.

Advice? Am i correct or incorrect in thinking this? And if im just crazy and incorrect in my thinking, how do i change my perspective.

I also find myself looking down on myself for smoking weed, like that im somehow some terrible bum for it, even though i only really smoke at night. I enjoy smoking, but at times while high i get these thoughts that im lazy, and a bad person for it, and that i should stop.
>>
>>17222597
I'm curious, how do you propose to support yourself while you're driving around this van not having a job?
>>
I don't think you're crazy or lazy for wanting to live like that and you might even end up living like that. The thing is though, you're not out of college and (I'm assuming) haven't experienced work life. If you have a career that you enjoy, you can get a lot of fulfillment out of achieving and being successful in it. If this becomes a part of your adulthood your desire to do what you talked about might fade. When I was in my late teens I wanted to live on a houseboat and travel the coasts and just dock my boat where ever I wanted to stay. It's been years since I last thought about that (more time would have passed if I had not read your post).

So in summation, no, it's not crazy to think like this. When you get older though your ideal way of living might change.

As far as the weed is concerned, maybe try living without it for awhile and see how it goes?
>>
>>17222624
I went a while without weed, it was no big deal. It's not like I'm addicted. When i stopped smoking i did feel better about myself. But why? Why do i carry a negative connotation around smoking weed (something i enjoy doing and don't do often) id rather smoke weed, and learn to stop feeling bad alot l about it. It seems more fulfilling than just not smoking. Like I've overcome something and become better because of it.

And of course! For all i know i might never live in this van. I can't really word it correctly... but im not looking for advice about whether or not i should live in this van. But why do i think negatively about myself when thinking about living in this van (and smoking weed), and how do i stop?
>>
>>17222608

Well i guess i wouldnt go straight out of college, id have money saved up. And im living in a van, im sure i can find some odd-job or carpentry thing to get money when i need it. Also can't you get a car to run on vegetsble oil or something? That saves gas money.
>>
smoking as a dumb teen (before 25) kills brain cells, might be why you have unrealistic ideas about your future.
>>
>>17222643
I don't think you understand the question. Theyre asking, "if you're going to willing choose to be poor, how do you expect to do 'anything you want'?"

You're barely going to be able to do anything at all with this plan, besides sleep. If you love sleep that much, go for it, but this is just broken. I guess you're going to grow your hair out, just to have it in a ponytail and wear a tank top and shorts every day? Might as well drive somewhere hot, so you nevee have to pay for heat again.

Really, what is the snagging point that persuades so many american teens into thinking being homeless is fun? There's a shit ton of them in Florida, maybe you should go join them.
>>
>>17222643
You do not even have the fundamentals of your fucking plan figured out.

>vegetable oil or something?

Grow up you fucking stoner.
>>
>>17222662

Where did i say i would be poor? I said i wanted to travel and live in a van. And this other guy is calling it a plan, when i called it a dream. Obviously 2 different things. And besides, i don't want advice on how I'm going to survive, because who knows if im even going to do it. How do i word this again?

I want advice on my opinion of my dream. I have a dream... but look down on myself in it. That can't be right? How do i prevent that? How do i know that my "dream" is me doing what i want to do, and living my life how i want to for X amount of years. And not me taking my (perceived) laziness to another level, and taking the easy way out in life to give me happiness. As opposed to the more difficult way of getting a job and everything?
>>
>>17222698
What... You make no fucking sense just get a dream like everyone else instead of dreaming of being homeless, it's not achievable and you'll get nowhere.
>>
a job* but a dream works too lmfao
>>
>>17222721
Either im wording what im saying wrong (probably) or your dumb, or both.
>>
>>17222597
I've been in the same boat.The only time I feel alive is when I'm playing with and for people.I'd love to make a living playing music.Also I'm supposed to be going to college next year but I feel like I'd only be going to do the "right" thing because wanting to be musician is often viewed by people as "hurr i wunna be a rock ster duurr".I can definitely make money playing gigs but I accept that I'll have to get a part time job too because gig opportunities aren't always available.You have to have a compromise between your dream and reality.
>>
>>17222879
*playing music
>>
>>17222698

It's not a dream if you have no plans of pursuing it. You might as well say you dream of living in a cotton candy house. There's no point in worrying about the moral implications, because it's not happening.
>>
File: BUDDHISM.gif (28 KB, 306x386) Image search: [Google]
BUDDHISM.gif
28 KB, 306x386
Maybe living a life that makes you ashamed of yourself is not the best plan.

Maybe you should choose a career that gives you a lot of time off, and take your camper out on vacations.
>>
>>17222597
THEY SAID SUMMERFAGS WERE A LIE

THEY WERE WRONG
>>
>>17223137
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to not be ashamed of the life i want to live?
>>
>save up $5000
>buy used van, set it up for living in it, use the rest for gas money
>travel for 6+ months or until you run out of cash

If you don't like it, go back home or wherever you liked it most, and set up your life there. No need to "live your life" like a nomad. A lot of people do this, but opt for more comfy transport and lodging such as planes, buses, resorts, hotels, etc.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.