[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a year I will have finished my A levels and will either have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 1000x663) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 1000x663
In a year I will have finished my A levels and will either have to get a job or go to university; or both. The thing is, I really want to join the Parachute Regiment and then eventually, and I know this sounds stupid, join the Special Air Service or at least attempt the joining process. I have always wanted to do something along these lines ever since I was little. I'm decently academic but I really can't see myself sitting behind a desk working an ordinary 9 to 5. I'm physically fit as well and have done lots of activities that would help me in the military, such as triathlons, track cycling, Ju-Jitsu, and a kind of variant of the scouts where I learned how to navigate using a map and compass and survival techniques for when in the wilderness.

My parents seem to think that I'll be wasting all the time and effort that people have put in to getting me through exams and such by "throwing my life away" and joining the army. I can see where they're coming from but still, I never asked for people to try to prepare me for a future in a desk job, in fact I have told them in the past that I want to joint the army so they can't really complain.

If there are any ex or serving military personnel willing to give me a bit of advice on what it is I should do to prepare myself for service then I would appreciate it. I don't know if any even lurk this site but I thought I may as well try. Thanks.
>>
You could join the army and get a degree later or you could study and join the Officer Training Corps.

To me it seems like you're probably won't be too dedicated to studying a degree, but at the same time you haven't experience life in the military yet so . There's more out there than just degrees, and you can always go to university later in life. So don't let your parents force you to go to university, but at the same time realise you might end up not wanting to dedicate yourself to the military.
>>
>>17220418
If you want to join army than do it. In the worst case scenario you will drop from army after the first N years.

>prepare myself for service
Army is all about endurance. Both mental and psychical.
But you should check yourself the concrete requirements and or entry tests and see for yourself if you can pass them.

Do it OP, don't let other hinder your dreams!
>>
File: 1459714400941s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1459714400941s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
Ex-Army Medic

Got accepted into an awesome college but couldn't afford it and my parents said they wouldn't pay. Fine no issue. I left for boot a month after I graduated. One of the best decisions of my life.

Your life is your own. Do what makes YOU happy. And make sure you pick a MOS/job in the army that you can see yourself doing for a few years. Hold out until a slot opens if you have to.

The only prep I would say run. RUN A LOT. Get good at running. Pushups/Situps are easy to increase/max and boot does a good job at getting you there. Running takes more time. As long as you go in with the right mindset that's really the only prep I can recommend. The rest is just additude.

Funny thing is, after my parents found out I was talking with a recruiter MAGIC COLLEGE MONEY came from someones ass but at that point I had decided to get on with my life.
>>
>>17220498
>>17220485
Thanks, I didn't realise that I could get a degree later. And I'm pretty athletic anyway but if I just increased the amount I train a little more then I'm sure I can deal with the physical side of things. Mentally, I am usually pretty level headed. I can sit through a REKT thread on the cancer board whilst eating a sandwich so I guess I'm 'mentally strong' in that way and I have never been one to stop just because my legs ache during a 5k run. Also, my 'party trick' I guess you could call it is being able to sit through things that hurt really badly with a straight face.

I just read through what I've written and it's mostly a load of random crap that you probably don't care about, oh well.
>>
>>17220538
Thanks for the advice, I hope my parents are OK with me joining. I don't care that much either way, but it would be nice to have their blessing.
>>
>>17220538
>>17220589
Also, what mindset exactly would you say is best suited for the job. As in, could you describe the kind of mindset that they will be looking for?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.