[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Peer pressure, for and against.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: funny-pictures-auto-698189.jpg (1016 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
funny-pictures-auto-698189.jpg
1016 KB, 2550x3300
/Adv/, can any of you share the experience of resisting or giving in to peer pressure? What results it gave?

For some reason, being rebellious to my peers views was my motto since childhood, and i ended up a studying loner, who listens to her parents, doesn't smoke anything, doesn't go to parties and doesn't get wasted.
I had no sense of tact and didn't desperately want company, so peer pressure had little power on me.

Now.
Obviously a virgin, a girl, so it's ok.
I don't like the idea of poisoning my brain with chemical substances to numb the emotional pain, i'll stick to the plan.

So my life experience differs from the majority of my peers, but I'm not alone. There are like-minded people and it's all that matters to me.

What's your opinion on peer pressure, anons?
>>
Sometimes you just got to conform
>>
>>17213167
In what cases?
>>
>>17213145
The problem with doing things alone is a lack of support. If you are incredibly tallented than its not as much of a problem, but a group is always stronger than a single individual. Infact what usually happens is a strong individual ends up leading a group. They are symbiotic in nature.
As for peer pressure, i highly suggest not going the "stick up your ass" route. You do NOT have to do what anyone tells you to, but you dont have to say NO to every new experience. Swallow your pride sometimes, and kill your convictions. Keep your integrity, and always respect yourself. Sometimes the greatest saints are the worst sinners. But the greatest sin by far is to so nothing at all.
>>
>>17213211
Thanks, anon, for a detailed answer, i gave up rejecting ideas for the sake of it, i think them through, maybe try and decide what to do next.
>>
>>17213228
Try things out. You have one single life to live. You dont get a retry, redo, or a doover. There arent any awards for living perfectly or virtuously, most everyone who remembered anything you did wrong will be dead by the time you die. And no one will rember you for long after that. If you had only one day to buy anything you wanted in a store would you go grab a couple "reasonable" small things? No, you would have cart after cart of things you wanted. Its not even materialistic, its just opportunity.
Think on that.
>>
Basically, my opinion is that every generation has its useless fad type stuff. Its okay to recognize its dumb, and you only have to participate as much as you want to.

The thing to remember is, not everyone likes mainstream culture. There are art museums, symphony orchestras, film clubs, model airplane groups, and a ton of other stuff not based around drug use
>>
>>17213254
Yeah, I thought about that, how I may be missing something.
For some reason, it doesn't stop me, I'm so okay with not doing things everyone does, because it somewhat feels like an experiment itself.
If i provide a different cause, i'll get a different outcome. And I'm looking forward to seeing that outcome. It's my life, and I live it like I want. I don't want it to go boringly mainstream.

A small example:
Like will I have problems with kidneys if i won't salt food as bad as people I know? If I refrain from salty processed foods?

My teeth are doing great so far (no holes sealed, no teeth lost), because I try to refrain from soda and sweets. I am not a dick and I accept them as treats, though.

Anyone had similar thoughts?
>>
>>17213262
Yeah, I totally agree, I hang out basically with people like that, we go to theatres together, that's fun.
Although like half of people in uni who drink and smoke weed also love going to those cultural places, so it's not just two types of people.
>>
>>17213347
Yes I do this all the time now because of a strick diet regime I imposed on myself. It is self-dicispline and it is a good characterisitic especially if you did it while younger, I ashamedly didn't because I didn't know the severity of what these things can do to me. The weird thing is, that my friends call me a picky eater and too uptight on certain things ( mostly about food and excercises ). Which i always tell them about but they blissfully ignore tha advantages working out and good eating habits have including sleep and meditation. I wish I could meet people in public like you so I could ask them out because you sound like the type of person I want to share experiences with but always end with the opposite, life is one big ball of irony :p
>>
Peer pressure can be a good or bad thing depends on the circumstances. I personally pressured a guy to Not light himself on fire when he wanted to die, he didn't and is much better now. That's a good use of pressure, but it can be used for nefarious purposes. It isn't good or bad by itself ,but by the context.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.