[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live in a working class area in england. Most of the people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: nnnnn.jpg (32 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
nnnnn.jpg
32 KB, 460x276
I live in a working class area in england. Most of the people here dont work, they live on the dole (benefit paid by the state to the unemployed.) and make extra money selling random shit. the people i speak of typically get labeled as chavs. due to interacting with people on the internet and reading books, i was able to release my self from the culture of my environment. My whole highschool life was fucked up because the people in my class would do nothing but mess about and distract me. I feel like i didnt learn anything from about 11-16

I feel somewhat angry at my parents for bringing me up in this environment, they must of been aware at how it would effect my upbringing. I have become somewhat socially retarded because i dont know how to interact with normal people, if i go on trips to anywhere else, its feels odd when random people talk to me and i dont know how to react. what should i do? dont have the money to move as im a student. living in this environment is depressing.
>>
>>17207324
bump
>>
>>17207324
I was brought up in the midlands, my school was catchment for council estates and had the same educational experience as you did probably - the majority of the class is spent telling people to shut up than learning.

I got AAB at A levels off my own arse by studying the syllabus and being somewhat smart to start off with (I'm not super smart just enough that I don't need help with reading or writing). I graduated with a 2.1 from a redbrick university. (moved cities for this).

My parents felt immense guilt sending me to a shit school. They tried to send me somewhere better but I was denied due to the catchment area. We couldn't afford private education so I did the best I could in a shit situation. You can't blame your parents, I'm sure they would have moved you if they knew how to or could afford to. Don't lean on others for explanations or answers, when you come from shit like we do you gotta pull it our your own arse and do the best you can do.

Chavs are good at one thing: solidarity. I hate chavs for their shitty attitude and low standards but you gotta admit they do stick up for each other and are there for each other. Learn that from them - how to be a proper mate and proper family values.

You sound like you're embarrassed of your upbringing. I know that shame but it is just your shame. If someone is being a snob then understand they they don't know any better. We're unlucky mugs you and me, we don't and never will gave daddies money to dig us out of a hole and it sucks. You're young enough to start again. The good thing is there's loads of bursaries out there for us poor kids. Search for them and apply for them. As a student there's loads of subsidised clubs for things you never would have been able to do before. When talking to new people don't talk about home and your past just talk about what you're into and what you want to do. If anyone asks just say 'it's boring, what about your past?'
>>
>>17207380
thanks for reply. i appreciate it.

i wouldent really say im embarrassed of my upbringing, more annoyed that i had less opportunities than other people, and meaningless shit was advocated to me. i understand with my parents, they probably didnt have much of a choice, and didnt take into consideration how much it would impact me, i think they are the only reason i didnt become a "scally" - its just, at the back of my mind, i partially blame them, though, i probably shouldent.

I done terrible at highschool due to influence of people, and yeah the majority of my class was the same as yours. I became secluded and didnt do much but play video games to escape from it all. at about 18, i got into working out and reading and i have been trying to turn my life around. im still finding it a bit of a struggle, people in my university still dont care about getting good grades, all they do care about is drinking, at least they are not telling me to shut up and shit like that though.

Chavs definitely are good at solidarity. i was kind of a chav when i was highschool but it was only really to fit in because anyone that didnt follow their culture was bullied. a few of my acquaintances are chavs. One positive thing i will say about chavs is that they are not plastic, they are normally straightforward, loyal, and true with what they say. i probably prefer chavs to edgy people like metal heads. my problems with chavs is that i cant have a conversation with them, and they are incredibly uneducated about basically everything. they often think they are intimidating for example but very rarely know anything about fighting.

Its not even lack of more that i talking about in regards to less opportunities, its not be able to talk and interact with decent people who i can learn from, and who will influence me to improve myself. over all, i should be ok. i just want to vent because its all really annoying me.
>>
>>17207462
lack of money, not more. sorry, typo.
>>
>IT'S NOT MY FAULT
Yeah, fuck off lad.
>>
>>17207509
are you suggesting that people are not a reflection of their environment?
>>
>>17207524
I'm suggesting that you're trying to absolve yourself of all responsibility like a fucking woman.
>>
>>17207324
>My whole highschool life was fucked up because the people in my class would do nothing but mess about and distract me. I feel like i didnt learn anything from about 11-16

Don't blame your parents or the working class, I had exactly the same experience and live in a relatively wealthy area.
>>
>>17207525
Not OP but you can't help being brought up in a shithole. It's like the ghetto but British and probably less black.
>>
>>17207537
The Northern Irish have the best education in the UK. Best results every single fucking year. They are BY FAR the poorest place in the UK. On top of this, the best among those Northern Irish are the Northern Irish Catholics. Northern Irish Catholics didn't even have equal rights until 1999 and now the top 15 schools in Northern Ireland (again, the place in the UK with the best education) are all Catholic grammar schools.

Stop making excuses.
>>
>>17207462

M8 I know someone who dropped out of school after their GCSE but went back a decade later to do his A levels and wound up with a doctorate and a good job in academia.

It's never too late but you have to graft.
>>
>>17207525
why so negative? you can disagree with me, with out being so stigmatizing. im trying to turn my life around now, im not trying absolve myself of responsibility. im simply making the reader aware of the impact the environment has had on me. >>17207543
northern ireland has a completely different enviroment and culture than where i have been brought up. you need to educate yourself on history if you're trying to claim that a persons enviroment doesent have an incredibly strong impact on their life. if i was trying to make up excuses, i would of gave up, and wouldent be trying to make something of myself in uni. what i am saying, is that i have struggled and this is why.
>>
>>17207543
if you're discouraged your entire life from imporving yourself, and procastination is advocated, its obviously that this is going to impact someone

stop being autistic
>>
>>17207562
>if you're discouraged your entire life from imporving yourself, and procastination is advocated, its obviously that this is going to impact someone
>saying this after being given demonstrable proof that you're talking utter shite
Top kek.

>>17207559
>Northern Ireland has a comlpetely different country that me
You're right. They were being bombed and shot and stabbed and tortured and looted and burned, their faith was demonised to the point of not even being allowed to vote. But yes, that kid in the back of your class making fart noises? He was far worse.
>>
>>17207575
there are hundreds of academic books that complete refute what you're saying. poor people are more exposed to crime, poorer education, poor morals, and lack of encouragement. do you think that all poor people are magically born stupid? why do you think low class families typically stay low class.

the population of northern island where not teens though, they where adults with fully developed brain. and obviously, as a nation, they stood together to improve themselves after the decimation. im improving myself now as a person. If you honestly believe that low class people have the same opportunities as middle or high, you're living in a fantasy world.
>>
>>17207611
>the population of northern island where not teens though, they where adults with fully developed brain
Are you fucking retarded? You think the ENTIRE population of Northern Ireland, for over 30 years, was entirely adult? Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>17207621
not but obviously the people who made changes where adults. how could you not understand what i meant?
>>
>>17207324
Try growing up in Eastern Kentucky with proud alcoholic hillbilly parents.
>son, your ancestors have been dwelling in these hills for generations, and now you will too and it'll make them and me proud
>>
>>17207633
>people who made changes were adults
Actually, a lot of them were teenagers. Teenagers who went to school, then came home and picked up a fucking gun and went out to fight for their country on their own soil. Fighting that forced the hands of the British government to change things in Northern Ireland. Stop making excuses.
>>
>>17207643
yeah but the teens obviously never the policies that where the real reason for the strong change. im not making up excuses lol. as i have mentioned a few times, i am improving my life now. if i was making up excuses i would say something like "im too stupid because of highschool, i cant do anything" what i wanted was some further advice to help me.
>>
>>17207652
never made the policies*
>>
>>17207652
Now you're actually trying to diminish the actions of those who laid down their lives for their equal rights? Claiming that they did fuck all and it was all the work of the adults sitting in cushy government buildings on a different fucking island? Kill yourself.

>if i was making up excuses i would say something like "im too stupid because of highschool, i cant do anything"
Instead you opted for "im too stupid because of parents' decisions, i cant do anything"
>>
>>17207669
i have received no advice from you apart from attempts to create stigmatizing shame. i advise looking at yourself because you're really not helping desu, and need anger management. im not even going to bother arguing any further. have a nice day.
>>
>>17207706
I didn't come here to offer you advice. I came here to call you a lazy cunt that is trying to absolve themselves of personal responsibility. I'm glad you're fucking off. Maybe you'll go do something instead of yapping.
>>
>>17207715
>I came here to call you a lazy cunt
nice assumption. i read and write, im a boxer, i help homeless people, i go to university, i go out with my friends. i do more than anyone i know. just wanted to say that you need to stop judging people because you're incredibly wrong.
>>
>>17207732
I thought you were going to bother anymore? What's the matter? Nothing better to do?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.