[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with people that believe in superstitious bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1463789079982.jpg (149 KB, 960x807) Image search: [Google]
1463789079982.jpg
149 KB, 960x807
How do you deal with people that believe in superstitious bullshit and old wive's tales and keep spouting it, and any argument against them is met with anecdotal evidence?

>"If you go out in the cold/clothes are wet/etc you'll get a cold/the flu!"
>"That's not how it works, both of those are caused by viruses"
>"Then why did I get a cold when we were vacationing in Alaska??? I WIN"

>Today my horoscope says this
>Horoscopes aren't real
>Oh but it was right that one time! Why do you doubt it? I win.

>They throw salt over their shoulder every day and it gets all over the floor
>"Could you please stop throwing salt all over the place"
>"But I want to win the lottery! After I started doing it I won $500 on that one ticket!"

Normally I'd just let it go but they're so goddamned in my face about it and any criticism of their blatantly wrong statements is met with an anecdote then "HAHA I WIN"
>>
>>17195529
personally I avoid them if possible. if I can't avoid them, I just smile and nod. but whenever possible, I avoid them.

is this someone you live with? they sound dumb as fuck and insecure too
>>
Why are you a sensitive flower?
>>
>>17195529
>>"That's not how it works, both of those are caused by viruses"

Being cold lowers your immune system and makes you more vulnerable.
The "common cold" is called that for a reason.
So if you get cold, you're immune system gets weaker, the common virus gets in your system.

>>Horoscopes aren't real

People like confirmation bias. Some people like it so much they'll pay for it, hence feminist "lit".
More at eleven.

>Salt throwing.

Well that's just crazy.
People are superstitious. Can't do shit about that.

I think the real problem here, is that you cannot tolerate stupidity.
You won't get far in this life without being capable of doing so.

I strongly suggest stooping to their level;
>Throw dishes over your shoulder, smashing them against the walls because superstition. "It's for luck".
>Horoscopes, fuck no? Read the smelliest tea leaves you can find.
>Diseases are caused by the gays.

Build up a tolerance to stupidity by being the stupidity... also, piss idiots off by doing it 100% better than they ever could.
>>
couldn't the first one also cause you're immune sytem to be weakened, and then cause you to get a cold easier?
the 2nd one imo there's nothing wrong in believing in something that makes you feel better, even if it's not the truth.
throwing salt on the floor is stupid though i agree.

really though it's nothing to get fussed about. live and let live
>>
>>17195550
>>17195558
Physician here, no, you can't get sick from being cold. Having a 'lowered immune system' isn't going to make you catch a sickness that you aren't exposed to. If you're in the room with someone who is sick, it really isn't going to make much of a difference whether or not you're cold. You can not get a cold without being exposed to it and OP is correct.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.