[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the go-to major nowadays for "fuck off i just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: graph600.jpg (15 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
graph600.jpg
15 KB, 600x407
What's the go-to major nowadays for "fuck off i just want a job"?

Most people seem to say it's computer science, but apparently that's becoming saturated to hell. I was thinking civil or aerospace engineering, since those can't get outsourced and haven't seen an explosion of enrollment the way CS has.
>>
Lmao I went to Berkeley. CS had something like a 2.5 GPA requirement in order to declare the major.

Now its like 3.5 with lower division classes having 2,500 kids in it.
>>
>>17193480
>What's the go-to major nowadays for "fuck off i just want a job"?
Not getting a degree at all and just working.
>>
>>17193487
University of Washington's CS department has gotten so competitive you basically need a 4.0 to get in, and even that's not a guarantee.

Which led to tons of rejects applying to Applied Math, so now you need a 4.0 to get into that.

Which led to tons of rejects applying to Electrical Engineering, so now you need a 4.0 to get into that.

In all, about 5-6 majors have become competitive-admissions solely due to CS rejects, including applied math, regular math, EE, information sciences, and even fucking physics.

Oh, and the satellite campus UW-Bothell had its CS program become competitive too. And Western Washington University, which is about 2 hours north and usually an in-state student's second choice after UW, now has its CS program overflowing with people in its intro classes and people are taking 6 years to graduate due to lack of space for upper-division shit.

Shit is fucking hilarious. When I graduate with me MechE degree I'm gonna buy a pack of cigars and smoke them while reading bitchy reddit posts about not getting into ANY of these programs.
>>
Chem engineering.
>>
Having done engineering school college is a major hit to your net worth if you don't get out with little debt or get a high paying job from the start.

Had I gone straight to work swinging a shovel after HS I would have close to 60k net worth vs 3k after 5 years. I could be looking at starting my own business and hiring over guys to swing shovels vs resume spamming for a temp job.

Saving when you are young is a huge advantage later in life. Avoid fast cars, use credit wisely, keep the bar tab under $25 a week, and live at home as long as you can. Taking home $20k/yr(~$13/hr) and spending $6k from 18 to 22 is $56K in the bank. Where I live $56K is a decent used car 20% down on a 2/3br house and 20k in the bank.

>>17193644
It is a specialized major that got flooded with the oil and gas boom. Mech E's know heat and mass transport as well as you do plus everything related to statics and mechanics, and CAD programs that are used in the real world. Chemists beat you out for lab rat jobs. Bioengineers are try hard wannabe doctors that beat you out for anything medical related.
>>
>>17193779

You seem like you know your shit. Do you really regret going the Engineering route? Seems like your Net Worth would catch up in 5/10 years. Also, starting a business is NOT easy. Just looks easy from the outside.
>>
I'm not feeling any competition in the CompSci industry. When I was in university less than half of my class made it to the end. Most of the graduates aren't very involved the industry, they wouldn't know how to contact a web app startup or a Linux kernel dev for work, they don't take part in the industries community at all.

I got a Masters degree, no debt because I studied in a good non-US university like a sane person. As a bonus it had better halls. I don't understand you guys, they charge ridiculous prices and you just pay it anyway.
>>
>>17193819
All this kerfuffle over just $60k, you can make that back in less than a year.
>>
>>17193826

Not everyone has the luxury of moving overseas
>>
>>17193844
What do you mean? the expense is nothing compared to the amount university can cost.
>>
>>17193819
>Do you really regret going the Engineering route?

Engineering school was awesome, but I sucked at interviews in 2009-10 when most companies stopped offering internships and co-ops. Experience trumps everything in engineering.

I found I am a hands on person. Worked with family doing odd construction jobs over the years. Did construction for a guy who got his started his company going at 33. He had issues with estimating when I was with him. He had some good guys working in a hot real-estate market. I can see him making it assuming his debt is under control.

The idiots and drunk/druggies swing shovels into their 50s. College draws off those with the business sense. What remains are skilled foremen who don't know the dollars and cents side of things. I think I could have given the odds a run for their money.

>>17193835
60k after taxes is closer to 40k. You get raped in taxes once you go over 30k/yr gross.
>>
Another guy here with a similar question not wanting to start a new thread.

I went through most of getting a transfer degree at community college into CS, but I was never very serious and only following "lol well i can code and do math so i guess this is my life". I quit after 90% of requirements and even though I could probably resume now I don't really want to transfer to a more expensive college for bachelors and maybe masters. Sometimes I want to do aerospace engineering but it takes just as much time except I have to start from further back because I fucked up and took general physics.

I've been heavily considering a trade instead, but my obvious ignorance of academia where I spent prior years is nothing in comparison to my ignorance of trade. I think between general categories I'm aware of such as electrical, masonry, carpentry, metalworking, machinery, I'm most interested in metalworking followed by machinery. My local community college offers up to welding technician CP and machining technician CP. Am I right that this is where to start to get a job in the field? Does anyone have opinions between these, alternative paths, or input from a similar background?
>>
bobump
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.