[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here ever struggle with a sense of destiny to greatness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: wahoo-under-board-steve-ozment.jpg (169 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
wahoo-under-board-steve-ozment.jpg
169 KB, 900x720
Does anyone here ever struggle with a sense of destiny to greatness?

Like that one day you will do become a historical world figure?

I realize that is unlikely and unrealistic but I have always felt it.

desu I think it just might be some undiagnosed delusion or megalomania.

The issue this causes me is that it kind of makes choosing a career difficult. I have 4 options:

>hydrologist: Serve the people, doing important work and it is science related and has amazing job security and decent pay. Takes away time from studying math in uni.
>actuary: Make great money, I like math. Work isn't important as hydrology
>major in applied math without becoming an actuary: get a job in consulting or start a business(I have tons of them, my interest in business is not motivated by money but by my desire for independence). Work isn't important as hydrology
>become a comedy writer: I think I am funny, I would thoroughly enjoy this work, great money(if successful). Work isn't important as hydrology.

I am attached to the idea of serving the people. But I am also a nihilist. In the end everything ends. So why not pursue money? But I don't even like money that much. If anything I would like to use my money to have some autonomy and control my own time. Add to this my nagging sense of destiny, which pushes me toward doing whatever the fuck I want(because I will eventually be the hero I imagine), and puts me in suspense for a moment in which the stars line up and I will be able to be this hero I idealize myself to be.
>>
sounds like existentialism to me, not nihilism.

anyway, delusions of grandeur can be healthy if you pursue with logical steps and turn them into motivating ambitions. what's stopping you from trying to achieve those things other than you insisting that it probably won't happen? you don't only have 4 options, you only have 4 convenient options.
>>
can you guys at least answer this?
>Does anyone here ever struggle with a sense of destiny to greatness?

>Like that one day you will do become a historical world figure?

I want to see how common it is. Answering 'no' is just as insightful, to me, as answering 'yes.'
>>
>>17188448
what's stopping you from trying to achieve those things other than you insisting that it probably won't happen?

I think it is unlikely to organize third worlders into destroying religion and pursuing glorious communism. Yup, that is my edgy dream. I am motivated by a strong sense of justice, I am from the third world and I have seen the abuse and corruption, my solution is atheistic communism. But what is the likelihood I will go back and organize the people into a better future? I am a realist and acknowledge I am just an individual.

Let's avoid any discussions of ideology, I share it just so you guys know how 'out there' my dreams are.

I am still unsure of my 4 regular options.

What is the likelihood that the liberator of a third world country posts on 4chan?
>>
>>17188464
meant for the topline to be greentext
>>
>>17188435
I have had the same thing for years. I have this really strong feeling that there is something important Inhave to do before I die. Like a really strong sense of purpose. Although mine doesn't feel like I'll be a huge historical figure or have a breakthrough or anything. I feel more like I'll help just a little in one subject or I'll be there for other people on a smaller scale to help them along the path in their journey. Like I'll guide them through depression or be a good boyfriend to them or hell people out on a smaller scale. I have a history of depression and had anxiety earlier in life though so I could just be completely bonkers. Then again people who have been through depression have done things like get better and written books that have helped a lot of people. I also suffered depersonalization/Derealization for over three years and learned a lot about the stuff and did my own research and I have my own theory about it. I lived in a different state of consciousness for three years and I think it's a pretty unique experience that I could use to help other people or learn more about the stuff. I don't think it's abnormal to feel the way you do. You should read Mastery by Robert Greene. In it he gives accounts of great people who felt the same way you do. One guy was even suicidal and was on the verge of doing it and he heard a voice that said don't do it. It was the only time he heard a voice in his life and he turned out to do something great I forgot what. So who knows brother.
>>
File: OsPi4zOB.png (292 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
OsPi4zOB.png
292 KB, 512x512
>>17188449
>>17188449
I'll answer since I'm drunk and shitposting anyways.
Yes. I've always had that stupid idea that I'm going to do something useful(great) with my life. Sometimes I even go over those times that I've almost died (car accidents, nearly drowning a few times and such), to reinforce that delusion.
For me it was always the idea that I will build(code) the ultimate AI (like the one in "Transcendence") that will solve all of humanities problems. A thing like that would probably be the closest thing to God that man can create. But in the end I know that I'm just too stupid to do something like that, and it's just a silly dream.
>>
>>17188569
go to college and take some machine learning courses. There are also many such courses online. here is a bit of inspiration http://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/

A.I is not the future, it is the present, do go pursue it.
>>
File: matrix.jpg (8 KB, 315x160) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
8 KB, 315x160
>>17188743
Thanks, I do have the relevant education (unfinished Masters) but those things are just way too complex for me. I was kind of hoping there might be some of those lone geniuses on 4chan that might catch on the idea. After all, it is one of thoes few things that might actually change the world for better.
>>
>>17188435
I wish to become a multi-billionare not for my playboy life pleasure, but for funding biological advancements in humans and a quality-focused mentality and education.

We should be able to control every biological process in our body, including our subconcscious.
Problems changing your personality? Just swallow a pill or go to a doctor to modify your neuronal connections. This could cure autism, mental sicknesses in hobos, primitive genes(slavic, african, indian) as well as psychopaths, sociopaths, criminals, uncaring people.

The common cold should be extinct. Height, body type, hair color, eye color, lips, face should be modifiable via super healing cells.
We should control our reproduction processes with something greater than simply self-control. Set everyone to infertile by default and only let them breed via a pill or a surgery.
Want a drug-like feel like extacy, love, marijuana, alcohol, relaxation. Pills.
>>
File: 1463777545604.jpg (28 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
1463777545604.jpg
28 KB, 500x394
>>17189603
Nigga you just went full eugenicist. Never go full eugenicist.

> ironic pic
>>
>>17188435
You grow out of the desire to be a selfless hero and eventually acknowledge two critical facts.

One; You're the most important person in the world.
Two; You don't matter.

Here's what I suggest. Do whatever the fuck you like until you're 30. Anything. Doesn't matter. Avoid unnecessary stress. Try to be atleast partially self serving with your actions.

You're right about money though, it's a means to an end. It's really nice to have spare money though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.