[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is a bi tboring, but i need a little but of business and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 1451788731881.jpg (1 MB, 4050x2278) Image search: [Google]
1451788731881.jpg
1 MB, 4050x2278
this is a bi tboring, but i need a little but of business and moral advice.

>i have an apartment in hollywood where i pay 1520 a month for two bedrooms

to put that into persepctive of how good a deal it is:
>a lady just moved into my same building, a studio the size of my living room, maybe a bit smaller, and pays 1300

so I've come to the realization that I can rent the second room out for quite a bit of money.

I am generally a 'fair' person, so when my roommate moved in (i sublet the second bedroom to him) i divided the pay in two, and made me pay a tiny bit more since i have a bigger room.

now, over a year later, im realizing that I could save at the very least 300 bucks a month by kicking him out and renting it to someone else with a 300 buck increase.

i currently bring home 1400 a month, and have virtually no savings. half of that goes to rent, and the rest goes to food, bills, and eventually fun.

business wise it makes sense to kick my roommate out, and our lease says i can kick him out at any time for any reason with at least 30 days notice.

however morally i dont feel right. i dont mind charging a roommate for more than their share, simply becuase thats how you make a profit in real estate and im okay being a 'landlord'. however, i do not feel very good about kicking him out.

he does have a steady job, one nice enough that he bought a car, so he isnt hurting for omney, however he cant afford another apartment in this area. he may have to move as far as glendale (though many people commute from there with a car and its not so bad).

i jsut feel bad. cuz while he has of course rustled some of my jiminies he has been the best roommate I've ever had.

but seeing as i only 16k a year, saving an extra 3600 a year is really tempting.

where would you fall on tihs morally?
>>
>>17187481
It's not a matter of morals. That's a bit of a strong word. It's also not a matter of business since you don't own the apartment and it's not profit. You just want to improve your costs and are too nice to want to have the conversation. Just tell him what you want to do - you don't need to justify it or explain yourself or give reasons.

If you want to feel better about it, give him a 60 day notice so he has a better chance to sort his shit out.
>>
Why are you living in this area if you only make 16k a year? You are fucking yourself financially by not living someplace cheaper.

Anyway, I don't think this works the way you think: the lady that moved in to the other apartment is moving into her own place. That's privacy and freedom she's paying for vs. being somebody's roommate and having to put up with their shit. I don't know if you'll find someone willing to pay 300 more for just the bedroom, but if you REALLY think that's possible, just give him the chance to pay the 300 more or leave. Calmly explain your reasons why: your perceived value of the property and need for more money.

I really don't think you'll find someone willing to pay that much to rent a single bedroom though.
>>
>>17187506
To add to this - considering your limited income, you need to look out for yourself first and foremost. Why are you doing him such a huge favor by letting him stay at such a massive cost to yourself? Like I said, it's not a matter of morals. Morals would be involved if you made him move out tomorrow because you needed an extra room to house your drug lab.
>>
>>17187481
Find a new tenant, preferably from your friend circle, and give the current tenant a month or two of notice to GTFO or BBTFO once you have someone taking the room for a reasonable rate.

Honestly, there's no real moral problem from making money off a space you don't use and can rent out. Unless the guy has no other options and/or is a good friend of yours, who cares? The person there now isn't paying for "more than their share", they have an insanely good deal. Like, legit, there is no reason for them to have a deal that good.

Here, I live on my own too, and to put what I pay in perspective, the apartment being rented out is in Montreal, but outside of Downtown/Centre-Ville.
I live smack dab downtown, between a bunch of universities and bars and other Downtown Stuff, and I pay 435; that's distinctly mediocre if you ask anyone from my city. The whole lease where I am is 870 -- I pay exactly half with a roommate.

EXACTLY HALF.
Someone you bring in should pay 760 -- EXACTLY HALF!

All this said, I'd advise not living in Hollywood at all. I've heard nothing but money and soul sucking things about LA.
>>
>>17187511

well he'd also have access to the living room, kitchen, and balcony, all furnished as well. if ur essentially going 'halvsies' on a 2 bedroom apartment, you'd be paying more than 1050.

>>17187512

i guessi just feel bad but i realize my friend in korea town has a studio for 850 and commutes over the hill, so i dont see why my roommate cant do the same.

>>17187523

i like my life here and its really close to my work out (and i dont drive so its convenient). its near all my favorite restaurants, central to everything i like to do (close to the beach, but close to my bars, close to my friends, close to my work, etc).

i dont see why i should kick a guy out for a 50 dollar difference though.

im feeling a lot less guilty. gonna give him abiout two months notice
>>
>>17187529
>i like my life here and its really close to my work out (and i dont drive so its convenient). its near all my favorite restaurants, central to everything i like to do (close to the beach, but close to my bars, close to my friends, close to my work, etc).
Fair enough. I don't have to live in the city either; I only like it for city things.

>i dont see why i should kick a guy out for a 50 dollar difference though.
What? You said it was 300 bucks per month.

I'd advice flagging your roomate down, and having meeting with him where you discuss your finances. How much you make, how much he makes, the lease alltogether, and what each of you should pay for how much space you have. I'd recommend trying to get the lease split 50/50, but you might have other terms you'd enjoy.

In any case, do some negotiations with him, and try to come to terms that are lucrative for you both. It's easier to twist an arm a little than to find a new person to grab at all.
>>
>>17187529
>well he'd also have access to the living room, kitchen, and balcony, all furnished as well. if ur essentially going 'halvsies' on a 2 bedroom apartment, you'd be paying more than 1050.
What I'm saying is, he'd have to share it. At that price I'd rather live by myself and have privacy and not have to deal with having a roommate to answer to.
>>
>>17187546
>What? You said it was 300 bucks per month.
That's how much more he thinks his space is worth because some lady moved into a smaller apartment in the same building for 1300.
>>
>>17187554
That's not how it works, but whatever. I'd still advise OP to try splitting the lease 50/50.
>>
>>17187550

sure thats you, but its literally what this town is made up of. two people sharing a two bedroom cuz its cheaper than a studio and you get more space.

trust me this isnt a thing. i easily get my pick of roommates whenever i replace cuz its the cheapest rent in the city. i can up it by 300 and still be lower than what htey'd get elsewhere.

>>17187546

there is currently a 50 dollar difference between what we are paying. almost 50/50 but i pay a bit more since i have a larger room with a walk in closet (though i did give him the parking space for free when he got hte car which is what im regretting).

i can charge 300 bucks more. i dont feel bad charging more because thats litearlly how real estate works.

i just feel bad kicking him out to achieve that.

>>17187554

its actually less than what it is worth.

two bed room apartments generally are somewhere in the mid 2000s. i know you dont live here but you sound dumb as fuck
>>
>>17187565

>thats not how it works

it literally is. everytime i rent i get an easy pick of roommates cuz its the cheapest room in the city. my own roommate originally planned to move out but he realized he would never find this deal in this area so hes staying here. its the reason i dont move either.

I can easily charge an extra 300 bucks.

worse case scenario i slowly lower it.
>>
>>17187572
Are you able to pay rent in full while you search for a roommate?
>>
>>17187579

its never taken me more than two weeks to find a new person. you dont realize how incredibly undersold this apartment is.

even when i signed the elase they had accidentally advertised it as the wrong price and couldnt legally change it, and the value of property in the area has only got up.
>>
>>17187566
>. i can up it by 300 and still be lower than what htey'd get elsewhere.
lower than what they'd get WITH a roommate or without
>>
>>17187566

i can charge 300 bucks more.
You really can't. Economy of scale, the cost of having someone able to walk in on you fapping, all that shit, having to listen to your roommate fap, all that shit.

Subletting is a thing, though. Consider it when your current roomie moves out. Right now, it'd be unfair to jack up his rent for no real reason, but once he's gone you can charge what the market will bear, nah mean?
>>
>>17187583
Ah, I see, so you're getting a 'deal' so to speak because of the landlord's fuck up. That makes more sense now.

Well, just offer the guy a chance to pony up the money you're talking about or leave, especially since you get along with him you don't want him to leave unless absolutely necessary. Good roommates are gold. He might find it worth it to pay, you never know.

Personally I wouldn't feel right charging over half of the total rent. But you do you, dude.
>>
>>17187585

literally both.

if they went the studio they'd have to pay 300 bucks more than what id be charging (bringing htem to abotu 1350) and if they got their own 2 bedroom with a friend (assuming they are safe credit wise and have someone they can co-sign with) the average price is 2500 for the two bedrooms as in 1250 each, so im still ebating that price by 200 bucks.

idk if you guys live in la or even in a city, but for the people here having a private residence isn't a luxury you can often afford unless you move to the ghetto neighborhoods.

the majority of buildings serve two bedrooms, and the few that dont aren't very cost efficient.

its extremely normal to just sublet a second bedroom in an apartment cuz there is very little commitment and saves money, especially when that sublet can be cheaper than whats offered if you went and rented right now.

I've been here for years and i know the market. i know cuz ive wnated to move to different places for some time, but this is the most economic option. 300 bucks wont offset that for a lot of the current crowd.

>>17187589

that is hwat im saying. i dont intend to jack up his rent, i intend to kick him out, and the lease we signed says i can give him the boot any time as long as there is 30 days notice.

>>17187598

i dont simply cuz its real estate. and ive been in situations where people do that. a lot. if you have the credit to buy a house, you can rent out those rooms and live essentially rent free. its a big thing here. i just feel bad giving him the boot but especially since he has a car, it will be nice.

i might give hi mthe chance to up his rent but i doubt he could afford it.
>>
even fancy restaurant managers need to split 2 bedroom apartments here in la. i know because the last two restaurants i worked at i had bosses who did so.

its considered normal to have roommates here. duno why why everyone thinks they need an entire apartment just to fap.
>>
>>17187610
best of luck to you then, if you really only make 16k a year then you really need the money.
>>
>>17187630

i live fairly comfortably off of it to be honest. i dont have a vehicle expense, roughly 90 bucks a month for bus fare. i shop in bulk so eat really well, meat twice a day. gyms like 25 bucks. i still have money left over to eat out / see a movie at least once a week.

get an extra hundred a month starting in july too. but yeah an extra 300 a month would go a long way. just actually having a savings would be nice.

id feel a lot worse if i had any personal relationship with this guy but thankfully we never actually hung out or anythign.
>>
>>17187626
Because 4chan is full of introverts such as myself. Solitude and privacy are priceless, the last time I had a roommate it was so shitty, they left their garbage everywhere and we fought all the time. I'm glad I can afford to live alone.. I would save money if I rented out the bedroom that is currently my office but there is no way I'm putting up with that shit again.
>>
>>17187640

fair enough if you can.

I ahve considered moving into a studio. my best friend has one in koreatown thats like 850 a month. i could afford it though also paying more utilities would suck.

but i enjoy having a living room. mostly cuz we film there sometimes but its nice to be able to host thanksgiving, have friends over etc.

one day maybe. for now i dont mind roommates. i have compelte control over who comes and goes cuz im the only guy on the lease and the one everyone signs says they can be booted for literally any reason, so its pretty low pressure.
>>
>>17187481
How long is the lease? Do you really need the money or can you just wait for it to run out.

You'd be dishonest, but you can say you have a family member that needs a place to live. Most people understand when they get kicked out. They really don't have a choice anyway.
>>
>>17187690

our lease is month to month. the contract he and I signed between us (and not the landlord of the building) says i can kick him out at any time for any reason with 30 days notice.

id try to lie and say i need to give the room to someone specific but he and i currently work identical hours so scheduling people to see the room would be pretty much impossible. even if not he'd see his room pop up on the listings lol.

gonna have to be honest or at least secretive, but not outright lie.

but yeah ive been hoping he'd just move out for awhile but hte deals so good hes admitted to no longer planning to move out.
>>
>>17187481
If you get tripped up in morals then you'll never make it in real estate.
>>
>>17187700

not trying to 'make it' this is just something lucky ive fallen into.
>>
>>17187700
>>17187702

but still, good point.
>>
>>17187696
Those lease terms sound pretty standard, same that I do. Then there doesn't seem to be a time that would be better suited and you could do it whenever. But I agree a 60 day notice might be helpful for him to find a good place and schedule things. Yeah maybe don't lie then. It might be a little awkward until he moves out, he'll probably resent you since you're basically evicting him. Hopefully he won't react in a bad way, I haven't had to do that yet luckily.

I know you've probably figured it out, but just to give you some perspective I rent out a 3BR house. I live in the master with a private bath, rent out the other two bedrooms which share a bath. The whole house costs me 1700, I charge 700 and 800 for the two rooms to make it fair since one is smaller, and I don't tell them what I pay. It may seem childish but I'd rather them not know they're paying most of my rent. I feel they might resent me if they knew and I'd prefer to stay on good terms with them blissfully ignorant. Honestly I probably couldn't afford to live here if I didn't have this arrangement.

I don't feel bad because that's still pretty affordable for this area for them. That's just how it is and I've met many others who've been in or heard of similar situations, you shouldn't feel bad about it. Honestly if I had a good job that paid well I'd have no problem renting it out for an exactly fair price where I pay more, that's equal for everyone, but I'm not rich and I'd rather not have to live in the ghetto. If your name is on the place you can do with it what you want.
>>
>>17187724

finally someone who understands the market. they all act like the cities are full of people who can afford to live on their own. even the girl that bought the studio in my building is looking for a roommate to split the rent with.

i have no issue charging more than i pay, but like you i dont intend to tell them either. its not like the landlord explicitly states that the prices are higher than they paid for everything, thats just how the market works.

congrats on such a nice situation though.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.