[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I do about my acne? I'm 20 and tired of it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 654694694981984.jpg (217 KB, 2000x1330) Image search: [Google]
654694694981984.jpg
217 KB, 2000x1330
What should I do about my acne? I'm 20 and tired of it. Will I be able to get accutane?
>>
File: B&A.png (2 MB, 3200x900) Image search: [Google]
B&A.png
2 MB, 3200x900
>>17182307

>will i be able to get accutane

depends on your insurance but generally yeah.

Acne isnt as simple as parents made it out to be. if its only in one location its usually caused by a specific problem (for example (thisi s wrong but for example) acne on the nose would be a dairy issue). I had acne on my chin only, and thats a hormonal issue. however i cannot fix that as a dude (whereas women could just take birth control etc).

there are two approaches that worked well for me. the first is how i went from pic related to second pic related.

>tretinoin in the morning
>salicylic acne wash in the shower
>moisturizer after / as needed
>erythromicin at night

tretinoin is prescription but you can order online as well. you rub it on to your skin and it peels it fast, causing your acne to fall right off. thats.

salicylic acne wash is basic acne wash you can get at most any store. i get mine at rite aid.

moisturizer stops your face from drying itself out, which prevents your skin from getting damaged and/or over producing oils which makes more acne.

erythromicin topical gel is an antio biotic used to treat acne, however instead of applying it your stomach, you apply it to your face before bed. it attacks the bacteria right on your face, killing acne before it starts.

I used all 4 together and it wokred pretty well, but it was annoying. way too much of my day was dedicated to treating my acne, not eating foods, trying to find ways to scratch an itch without touching myface. if i was making out with a girl and she happened to rub her fingers across my face, you can bet your savings that id have acne on the part of my chin she touched.

i got so frustrated i went ahead and started taking accutane. i was nervous but within the first month i had no acne. i had to quit one week into the third month (of 5 months) but my acne still hasnt returned and for that im grateful. i can sleep face down, scratch my chin, eat whatever i want. its awesome.
>>
>>17182307
You should have already been seeing a dermatologist if acne had been a problem from your teens. There are oral and topical medications that can help. On top of that, experiment with changes in your diet, facial cleansing regimen, change your sheets and pillowcase regularly, cut your hair, change your shampoo regimen, stop touching your face.
>>
>>17182317
>On top of that, experiment with changes in your diet, facial cleansing regimen, change your sheets and pillowcase regularly, cut your hair, change your shampoo regimen, stop touching your face.
Yeah well I already pulled those "natural acne healing methodes" for 1.5 years now. Got better, but isn't fully gone and I want it gone. Can't do this torturous regiment anymore no normal human would put up with anyways.
>>
>>17182307
>>17182316

I feel like this anon got really lucky with accutane. That drug is fucking scary and legitimately dangerous.

I refused to take any oral medications for my acne (hormonal issue also) and have been treating it topically for 5 years now. Had adult-onset acne, no teenage acne.

Proactiv actually does work. Salicylic acid is also your friend. Moisturizer is important, I started getting more acne when I didn't use it. I actually do all my "washes" in the shower, then apply moisturizer while my skin is still wet. That way I use less, it soaks in better, and I find it doesn't clog my pores.

You can also get topical antibiotics. I was allergic to them, but I've heard they're helpful.

If you get really efficient with your routine, you can get it done in 5 minutes. Do that twice a day and that's only 10 minutes out of your day for a clearer face.

Finally, wear sunscreen during the summer months. It means you have to wash your face more often (in-between topical treatments just use a gentle, hypo-allergenic soap like basic unscented Dove brand,) but sunscreen actually helps. Like a good quality, non-greasy sunscreen. It serves as a moisturizer, but it also keeps your skin from sun damage, and the sun causes acne (skin sloughs and clogs pores), doesn't help it or dry it up.

Good luck, OP. Acne fucking blows, I know your frustration.
>>
I took accutane, although it worked... I feel like I made a deal with the devil. Been 3 years since I've taken it and it hasn't come back. I had acne vulgaris that my parents said would go away when I got out of my teens. At 22 my acne was worse than ever and only getting worse. So easy to get out on. But it's hell on your body. They also won't tell you everything that can happen just oh "dry skin and upset stomach, birth defects suicidal thoughts." My fucking urethra was so dry it hurt to pee 5 months afterward.
i lost a large chunk of my sex drive due to accutane. it fucking works just be very careful and look up the side effects and stories from people. The doctors will be low key about side effects. Read the stories. Don't let it scare you but it's just a lot to think about.
>>
You'll eventually grow out of it.
>>
>>17182390
How is acutane dangerous? I understand there are dangers to consider, but I don't think it's near as dangerous as you make it out to be.

Just don't get pregnant on it, do the monthly blood tests, and wear sunscreen if you go out.
>>
>>17182316
The guy still clearly has some acne. The angle even changed.
>>
It's an anti cancer drug just remember that
>>
Cut out junk food. Drink more water and make sure you're hydrated.

Exfoliate your skin until it's smooth like baby dolphin butt. THEN moisturize.

Look for products to treat hyperpigmentation and wear sunscreen religiously to prevent more from occurring. If you are taking an anti-acne medication, this is especially important. Reapply frequently.

If it gets really bad, you can see a dermatologist or aesthetician, but there's not much they can do for you besides prescribe medication or sell products.

Note that not all acne is due to these things - some acne (namely chin acne and back acne) are hormonal and you probably won't be able to solve those with diet.

Also, you WILL grow out of this eventually, so don't despair. Nobody has acne by the end of their 20s.
>>
Any advice for acne scars boys? I'm 18 and I still get some acne, but not as much as when I was younger. I have a big acne scar from a pimple I had when I was 16. It faded a little, but it's still there. Any way to get rid of it, or at least get rid of the redness of it?
>>
Its weird man, I've had acne since I was 12 and I recently discovered that by sleeping for an extra 2 hours a night its clearing up. I've always used special face soap in the mornings and moisturise, I exfoliate and occasionally use face masks but it looks like the real problem for me is the spots on my face are just wounds. This explains the bright redness and soreness and by sleeping a little more its dramatically cleared up in a matter of days. This is probably my own stupid experience but maybe you have a similar issue.
>>
>>17182307

Try Proactive, drink a lot of water (this made the biggest difference for me) while avoiding soda... Some good systems to use for acne:

Proactiv
Clerogen
Exposed

All 3 are good, and both Proactiv and Exposed worked for me, incombination with drinking a lot of water every day. My skin is now soft and clear (just trying to get rid of scars now). Careful with accutane though. While it does help with acne, unless you keep up a routine (Clean, toner, moisturizer, etc...), you will have the problem flare up again when you stop accutane. Also it makes you super dry EVERYWHERE. Your hands, lips, and mouth will be dry all the time, and will be prone to cracking.

Good luck!
>>
>>17182909
Dermatologists told me I could do a chemical peel or microdermabrasion ( by a professional) to get rid of acne scars. Never tried it but that's what they told me.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.