[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need advice, housing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: homeless.jpg (662 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
homeless.jpg
662 KB, 2000x1000
>moving to a new city, it has a housing shortage and relatively high rent (not NYC level high though)
>10k savings
>no job yet, one interview scheduled, very in demand degree, won't have trouble getting job, but it might take a month or two
>in mean time, can't find a place to live because lolnojob and out of state
>tried online, people I was talking to about renting a room keep giving it to the first person who shows up face-to-face with cash in hand
>not in city, get fucked on this
>got desperate, messaged weird guy who had a place he would rent me
>he sounds off, asks a lot of personal information like what I look like, can't figure out how to use email, pain in the ass to deal with through long phonecalls, meanders when he talks
>no photos of the place, he dodges the subject, talks about fixing place up for me and painting the room the color I like, talks for 30 minutes about if I like "girly girl" home design or "bachelors pad"
>he says he has a gf, so I figure he won't rape me? he has a job in cars, is a military veteran, 51 years old
>place is far side of city, guy is incompetent and pretty weird, wants 6 month lease but may be talked into less
>he asks if I'm serious about this

1/2 field too long
>>
>>17181140

>don't want to arrive with nothing, can't get anything else, 1 week away, get anxious
>yesterday send him security deposit by check (took photo of check with my phone)
>instant regret, should have just gotten airbnb for like a few weeks first, not sure if just buyers remorse
>weird guy says he has another guy interested in the place who might get it first, would still subdivide the place and give me an area of it
>not feeling it
>on otherhand, if I use airbnb or a hostel I'm bouncing around place to place every few nights, also works out to be more expensive on a monthly basis
>if I cancel after saying I was serious about renting it, I feel like a dick

>option one: get there, see weird guy's place, decide then
>may stay or may turn around and leave, try to catch a bus to the hostel
>option two: cancel now, stop payment the check, get airbnb/hostel reservation
>use nightly rent places until I find a more permanent place, maybe take up to a month of this

What do?
>>
Don't move if you don't have a place to move to

Are you retarded?
>>
>>17181144

I can't get a place until I move. That's the problem. I can't stay with my parents; there are no jobs in this area and they don't have a room for me anyway.

I can't rent an apartment without a job. I can't get the job until I move.
I can't rent a room without meeting them face to face, can't do that until I move.
>>
>>17181140
Most cities have rent-by-the-month furnished apartments designed for people on temporary work assignments. Google phrases like short-term rentals,+ the city name.
>>
To bad you don't have any friends in the area, sounds like tou just need a place to crash till you get a job a then can sign a rent form for a real place to live
>>
Airbnb or roommate with someone until you successfully find a job.
>>
>>17181140
Why are you so eager to move now? Get some savings, enough for a few months rent. Then move and find a job.
>>
You still use cheques and you don't have online banking? no photos of the place? can't use email? wtf. This isn't 1950.

You could just go to an AirBnB style site, or get a cheap hotel and spend a few days looking at the houses.
I don't know if the US government pays young peoples rent, but you can afford a few months without making much of a dent in your savings.
>>
>>17182521

Yeah. I checked my phone this morning and I had two calls from that guy in the middle of the night. He called me again this afternoon and started into this whole, "so how was your day? What did you do?" and all this unrelated shit. I don't even talk on the phone to people I'm dating this often, not about to for some landlord. I was fed up and told him to cancel. I put a stop payment on the check.

So I'm going to a hostel for a few days or however long until I can get a place. Which sucks but not much choice.

Thanks, I just needed an outside viewpoint.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.