[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need advice. Please.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Filet Mignon.jpg (176 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Filet Mignon.jpg
176 KB, 960x960
I need advice. Please.
>>
We are a lower middle class family living in the suburbs of Chicago. My patents are American citizens who immigrated from Poland when i was 2. My dad and i install floors for empire today. Idk what to do. He speaks English well enough to hold conversations with people and go back to school, but i know he doesn't have the patience to actually go. Hes been installing floors for over a decade. He just told me he wanted to stay playing the lottery so be doesn't have to work. He told me he has about 7 years left on paying the house
>>
I told him to just sell the house and use the money to go retire, he explained.what's he going to do? Move into an apartment? Hes also worried about my brother and i, but we'll get by, I'm not worried about that. I wish i had a 6 figure job and was able to just have them live in a house with me but i slacked off in high school and did not go to college. Im still at home at 24 and i want to learn programming and start a career of my own, but i cant just up and leave my dad to install floors by himself. Trust me. I despise installing floors, but without me his workload would increase, he'd get less work done. And its way more stress on him, and me while im not working with him just knowing what hes going through.
>>
I want to get a new job and get back into the thick of college, but just the lingering thought of my dad busting his ass for less money just kills me. I cant leave. Hes told me that i can but i cant. I can't do thay to him. My mom is a nurse for old people and i couldn't tell you what kind of money she brings in. He explained a bit ago how he needs to make 4k a month to handle all his debts and pay the house off. I honestly dont know what to do and am starting to tear up just typing this.
>>
If anyone can give me some insight and give me some advice i would be forever grateful. I would get more in depth in the situation but were currently on our way to a job in Chicago tearing up ceramic tile and installing "luxury" vinyl planks and am on my phone.

I told him to go to a financial planner and see what his options are but hes just ao fucking stubborn. They live paycheck to paycheck and have little to almost no savings. Thank you very much to anyone who read that and has some insight on what i should do. Thank you
>>
>>17177677
Sorry to hear anon, if you're willing to cut back some time that you work with your dad, and get a part time job at starbucks, I know they will pay for you to take online classes at ASU. It's a start, once you receive an Associates, you can maybe find a more skilled job with a little more pay to help out. It's a process, but nothing happens instantly. Also if your parents are older, they should be able to start receiving Social Security soon, which will help cover the costs while you're in school.
>>
>>17177663
And I need steak.

Anyway, the common ideas here are
>rent part of the home
>get a second job, even something stupid from home - do you have ANY kind of skill at all?
>start a business doing the same job you're doing now
>>
>>17177686
I am in the early stages of learning to program. I can do manual labor very well, even though i despise doing it. I love snowboarding. My brain is very moldable since i have no real skills. Ive wanted to go the finance route in college bc im decent at math. Honestly not a lot of skills. Im very proficient on computers;Microsoft office etc.
I type very fast, i am a native english speaker and fluent in polish. My buddy gave me every adobe program, many game dev engines, many programming language engines, and almost every DAW for music production.
>>
>>17177685
I was thinking the same. Cut back and work early mornings. Or work very late nights so i can still work with him. Is ASUa good online college? This might be the route i need to take. I desperately want them to go to a financial planner and a retirement planner. They just wont listen to me. Im "their little boy" and they refuse to take any money or advice from me
>>
>>17177719
ASU is decent, and regardless it's a start. You need to get ahead for both yourself and for them. Get the education, make sure your kids don't struggle like you are, and do what you can for your parents.
>>
>>17177731
Ive been told to just not stress as much and concentrate on my situation instead of putting my parents lives in front of mine. Its just impossible. I literally cannot stop thinking about how much theyve sacrificed and given me for me to just be selfish and not constantly worry about them. Idk how ppl can see their parents struggle and not do anything they can to help them. Thanks anon. I really needed this convo. I need a kick in the ass.
>>
>>17177741
Use that drive to your advantage when you're studying. Get good grades and it will all pay off.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.