[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Severely uneducated and 18
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1462645015994.jpg (53 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
1462645015994.jpg
53 KB, 600x516
I was homeschooled, and I've never been enrolled in a public school. I know no science, geometry, biology, or algebra, and very little english, history, and math. The only reason I have good grammar is the internet.
I had trouble focusing as a kid, it was hard for me to sit down and learn something, so my mother would get frustrated when I didn't understand something, and pretty much put a pin in it until she felt like dealing with me again, which lasted the lengths of anywhere between a few days to that entire semester. I don't know if I have ADD or something, but that's not necessarily my current problem.
I recently "graduated", but it would be painfully obvious to anyone that my diploma looks fake, and I'm not actually anywhere near highschool level. I want to get a GED, but I'm nowhere near halfway educated enough even for that.

My current plan is to just say I dropped out and work minimum wage jobs until I die, which doesn't sound fun. What do I do?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>17174260
enroll in a GED prep class
>>
>>17174260
Don't say you're a dropout - that makes you a loser rather than a victim of your parents.

Some of those subjects you can learn as much as you need by just reading about them. For others, check your local community college for introductory or GED level classes, on your way to the GED exam. After that, you might have caught the learning bug enough to want to go on in CC.
>>
>>17174260
I just passed all four GED tests last week with about 5 months of studying/practicing 2 days a week. My highest education was 7th grade spread through about 6 different public schools until I was removed from school and that was ~8 years ago.

You'll be able to pass the language arts and social studies easily since those only require reading passages and understanding what it means. The questions are almost all multiple choice and 2 of the answers are so obviously wrong that you have a 50% chance of guessing if for some reason you don't know the right answer. Social studies has some graph reading so you'll want to understand charts and graphs.

Science is pretty easy since there's pretty much no actual science involved. Just thinking, reading comprehension, bottom tier algebra, more graphs, and balancing chemical equations which was easy, just memorize the strategy from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsVaUCzvLA where he lists each letter and how many there are.

Math you'll want to study for. You can make it through a lot of the test just with your basic math knowledge but towards the end they'll start testing your ability to substitute numbers with variables and variables with numbers and eventually equations of a line.

Here's some pretty good resources for teaching yourself.

https://www.khanacademy.org/ this helped with my math immensely, I worked my way up from the bottom just to cover anything I had missed in school (which was everything other than addition, subtraction, and single digit multiplication)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1625233051/ this book is ok, there's practice tests and it has most of the concepts covered. You'll really only use it for math and a little bit of science since the other two subjects are pretty much common sense if you have a basic understanding of english.

http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/col_algebra/ I used this to supplement weak sections from Khan Academy's algebra.

You can do this.
>>
>>17174330
also the social studies part had no memorization of history involved, everything for language arts and social studies is provided to you in the passages as long as you understand what you're reading.

science is also the same for a good chunk of the questions, you just have to read the passage and understand what the hypothesis is, understanding the difference between a fact and an opinion, identifying an independent and dependent variable from an experiment.

Also like the anons above said search for local ged classes, if you don't mind sharing your general area we can find some for you.
>>
>>17174330
>>17174356

You can do this, OP, or you can keep farting around on /adv/ and blaming your parents.
>>
>>17174260
Fuck people who homeschool their kids. Every homeschooled person I've met has been a compete fucking moron and often intolerably religious.
>>
>>17174260
Shoot for that GED, you can do it anon!
>>
>>17174527
>Fuck people who homeschool their kids. Every homeschooled person I've met has been a compete fucking moron and often intolerably religious.

Hey everyone, look how this atheist does science.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.