[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it with Japan and giving female characters eyepatches?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
File: Eyepatch-moe.png (173 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
Eyepatch-moe.png
173 KB, 580x326
What is it with Japan and giving female characters eyepatches? The only western thing I've seen that had a woman with an eyepatch was Kill Bill
>>
The medical ones are silly, but everyone loves a motherfucking pirate.
>>
An eyepatch suggests one of two things
>I am weak and vulnerable
this is what Riika has going for her, it helps the moe because you want to protect her.

but more commonly
>I am a badass who has seen enough action to lose a goddamn eye and still not give up being a badass
almost exclusively the realm of Men in the west, because they don't understand that badass women can be super sexy. Every time they make a "badass action heroine" they get confused and make her ugly. see: Alien, Fury Road, etc.
But the based Jappos know what's up. And Quentin Tarantino, being a colossal weeaboo, knows what is up as well.
>>
File: reibandaged.jpg (15 KB, 249x300) Image search: [Google]
reibandaged.jpg
15 KB, 249x300
I'm okay with it because I have a bandage fetish
>>
I was under the impression that Asians wear shit like that because they polluted their country so much it was dangerous not to protect their orfices
>>
>>133397936
Wrong it was to "SEAL" her demonic eye
>>
File: 719252-ryomou.jpg (9 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
719252-ryomou.jpg
9 KB, 320x320
>>133396228
>>
File: thriller_poster_02.jpg (1 MB, 1945x2992) Image search: [Google]
thriller_poster_02.jpg
1 MB, 1945x2992
>>
>>133396228
Rikka a best.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (43 KB, 459x291) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
43 KB, 459x291
>>133396228
>>
>>133397936
>being a colossal weeaboo
Estimated guess, or has he said as much?
>>
Probably a chuuni thing t b h
>>
>>133402239
Nah He is a sucker for kungfu and other fighting movies
>>
>>133396228
Misaki is happy for once.
>>
File: Twt_dp[1].png (288 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Twt_dp[1].png
288 KB, 400x400
>>133397936
>Every time they make a "badass action heroine" they get confused and make her ugly. see: Alien, Fury Road, etc.
Other than the butch cut, Velasquez isn't horribly ugly. That said, the problem with badass women in Western media isn't that they're ugly. The problem is how that badassery is executed.

Women in western media are always badass to measure up to men, to prove that they're badass. As such, they always have this "strong independent womyn" vibe, a vibe that is not only unappealing to young men (gee, I wonder why a woman who acts like men aren't needed don't appeal to young men!), but it also completely destroys her character (in as far as it exists) once she swoons for the male protagonist.

Compare badasses in anime, who don't fit in such a mold. Most of them aren't badass for a reason, they're just heroines. As such they're allowed to hate men, but they're also allowed to love men. They're allowed to be sexy, they're allowed to be playful and they're even allowed to have moments of weakness without it breaking their whole character. As counterintuitive as it sounds, Chinese cartoons write more enjoyable female characters than American live action films, even though the former are supposedly for children and the latter supposedly for adults.

Other than that, your post is spot on.

>>133398081
Isn't that mostly China? I think pollution in Japan isn't all that worse than Murika or western Europe.
>>
>>133396228
it's because Rei did it
>>
>>133402239
have you even seen kill bill
>>
>>133403461
>I think pollution in Japan isn't all that worse than Murika or western Europe.
it isn't ,japs wear the face masks when they're sick out of courtesy ,and to not spread their colds around.
>>
File: 251339.jpg (34 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
251339.jpg
34 KB, 225x350
Posting best female with eyepatch
>>
>>133406478
That doesn't really have to do with pollution....
>>
>ITT gaijins not getting it

they're actually face masks but as expected women are too stupid to put them on
>>
They all have river blindness cause of the backwater quality of the stories they are in.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.