[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is up with this sub>dub superiority complex. Subtitles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: e9d9eqF.png (211 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
e9d9eqF.png
211 KB, 500x374
What is up with this sub>dub superiority complex. Subtitles are just as inaccurate to the original Japanese script as the dub because of the differences in Western and Eastern culture alone. I swear this elitism bullshit was never a thing before anime started coming in DVDs
>inb4 b-but I can interpret Japanese by reading facial expressions and tone of voice
>>
Kill yourself

The bait here is that you're saying that dub is somehow not subject the same problems of translation that the subs are
>>
Are you retarded? It's about the voice acting, not the translation.
>>
>>139590156
Like many things on /a/ and 4chan in general, it started out as a joke. You know, "Haha, I am so hardcore otaku, look at me hating dubs because it's not japanese enough."
Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet.
So shit spiralled out of control.

It's the same thing that happened with the waifu nonsense, only dubs are easier to take a stance against because there are legitimately bad ones out there and people will convince themselves that they're all like that.

Then, when they find a good dub they've already got it in their head that all dubs are bad, so this one can't possibly be good to listen to, and is therefore shit.
>>
Go back to the board you came from filthy newshit
>>
Dubfags think they need some reason to watch subs, while for subfags it's the default choice.
>>
>>139590187
Can someone provide me sub for this?
>>
>crabsticks in image
>using a show with a heavily edited dub
Here's your reply
>>
kys
>>
1/10, apply yourself.
>>
>>139590252
Are you going to tell me eva isn't an entry level anime next
>>
English dubs sound super forced like the actors are trying to do a cutesy anime voice but it just comes off as cringey.

Also every female characters sound exactly like that one YouTube chick that used to sing songs for 4chan until she became a feminist and deleted her stuff. Makes my ears hurt hearing it
>>
>>139590396
But you can't understand what they're saying in Japanese
>>
File: fresh off the boat.png (78 KB, 1202x240) Image search: [Google]
fresh off the boat.png
78 KB, 1202x240
>>139590342
We don't talk about basic level trash like EVA or Fate/stay night here, buddy.
>>
>>139590241
Its not just on this site though. Its a legitimate popular belief that the majority of Americans have and as soon as someone mentions dub they get bombarded with
>dub is shit
>subtitles rule
but unironically, even though they don't understand Japanese language or just asian culture in general.
>>
>>139590578
>just asian culture in general.
I once lived next door to a man from Bangladesh so I totally appreciate subs
>>
>>139590578
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jaRJdUti9U
>>
>>139590457
You don't need to understand exactly what they're saying. But having the original voice actors saying the original lines is objectively better. After enough of it you even start to understand rudimentary sentences and phrases, making the argument for dubs completely irrelevant.
>>
>>139590694
Are you telling me Ouram Highschool is the reason why you watch sub
>>
>>139590758
>After enough of it you even start to understand rudimentary sentences and phrases
You can't learn properly learn Japanese by watching anime all day. Even if you can memorize the translations of a japanese word or two or even a phrase you could still be completely wrong from the actual japanese meaning. Each language, especially because of the differences in culture alone, are gonna have their own set of phrases with different words and meaning than "to kill 2 birds with one stone"
>>
>>139590968
>You can't learn properly learn Japanese by watching anime all day.
Sure you can. How do you think people learned foreign languages for most of human history? Not by studying it in a classroom or using resources on the Internet. They just listened to the language for thousands of hours and applied some effort to figuring out what it all means. It requires effort, but it's kind of hard not to want to learn Japanese after you've spent as much time hearing it as the oldfags of /a/ have.
In fact, the only way to perfect a language is to listen to it for long periods of time outside of the classroom. If you don't understand a phrase, a dictionary or an explanation from a native speaker is unlikely to give you enough context to truly understand it- hell, even native speakers are surprisingly ignorant of their own language. Hearing it used 500 times in 500 different situations by 500 different speakers is the only way to truly learn a phrase inside and out.
>>
>>139591300
>How do you think people learned foreign languages for most of human history?
They had someone teach them?
>>
>>139591300
You're not in japan bathing with buckets of water or going to bath houses every day and sitting on the floor at restaurants grilling your own steak strips on the grill thats built into the tables you're never gonna learn about the popular belief there in where drinking water inbetween meals is bad for you you're not gonma learn japanese and its culture by watching anime all day. Whats gonna happen is that you're going to keep encouraging yourself and others to basically act like a fool and slander actual japanese culture and give a bad rep to people that watch anime overall
>>
>>139590617
I was talking about the first world countries i n Asia
>>
>>139591866
What you're describing are fragments of cultural ideas, not a culture in itself, like that belief in Korea where you apparently die if you sleep with a fan on. They're curiosities, not culture worth talking or thinking about. Similar things show up everywhere, you're most likely blind to the quirks in your own local culture.
Knowing about these things doesn't make you anymore qualified or educated.
>>
File: 1459364445785.jpg (86 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1459364445785.jpg
86 KB, 720x960
>>139592618
>>
>>139590968
>different phrases
>japanese expression for "these two ideas/events are related" can be "they join hands"
You stupid fuck, literal translations don't carry well between some languages.
>>
>>139592712
This guy gets it.

Just remember that "lost in translation" exists
>>
>>139591400
If you wanted to learn Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Hebrew, or other languages used for writing religious texts, there's a long history of formal education. Most European languages spoken today only saw published grammar books in the 15th and 16th centuries. If you were wealthy, you could buy a slave from the country of your choice and have him teach you. Otherwise, for a lot of merchants and such it was all gesturing and active listening until you started to pick up the meaning of whole sentences.

>>139591866
>You're not in japan bathing with buckets of water or going to bath houses every day and sitting on the floor at restaurants grilling your own steak strips on the grill thats built into the tables you're never gonna learn about the popular belief there in where drinking water inbetween meals is bad for you you're not gonma learn japanese and its culture by watching anime all day.
First of all, fewer and fewer people visit sentou. Secondly, I've watched more than enough hentai to know exactly how Japanese people bathe. Thirdly, eating is one of the single most common things you'll see in anime.
If you think anime are only about magical girls fighting mechas, get the fuck out of /a/.
>>
>>139590156
Except most English dubs are ass. Doesn't help that they tend to get pronunciations wrong.
>>
>>139591866
I dunno, I learned nearly everything I learned about Japan culture from yakuza movies, period pieces and early to mid 20th century novels.

I'm probably way out of touch with the way things actually are.
>>
>>139590156
I prefer subs because I watch anime as it comes out.

Im not some filthy fucking casual like you OP who watches things months/years after the fact.
>>
>>139590156
>What is up with this sub>dub superiority complex
Would you watch a French film in English or in French?
Would you watch an Italian film in Italian or in English?
Would you watch Chinese film in Chinese or in English?
Would you a Japanese film in Japanese or in English?

If you answered "yes" to any of those, you're a peasant with no respect for the people who made the film.
If you answered "no", but still think that anime is somehow distinct from film, please tell me how it is, in that specific area.
>>
>>139590156
It's simply because english anime dubbers are terrible voice actors overall
>>
>>139592857
"because if it wasnt good it wouldnt be translated into english" - fat furry at my local anime club
>>
You can learn japanese when you watch anime. Believe it dattebaayo
>>
>>139590156
kaiba has a GOAT dub voice though
>>
>>139592857
None of those are yes or no questions.
>>
>>139592618
That was just one example but I guess an actual big one would be greetings and the different forms of talking like to adults to friends your age and minors. I'm saying you're never gonna actually understand without actually being born there or at least have been living there for a long time so why would it be ok to act like you know how to speak japanese and bash people for watching dub when you're both fucking clueless
>similar things show up everywhere, you're most likely blind to the quirks in your own culture
That's quite an assumption
>>
>>139594488
What? Greetings and politeness are one of the first things you'll pick up even from casually watching Japanese media of any kind. "It's impossible to learn a language fluently if you're not a native or haven't lived there for decades" is a retarded meme with no basis in fact.

More to the point: dubbing means erasing the Japanese VAs from the show when it isn't neccesary. If you don't speak Japanese, then there's nothing you can do about the script being translated into English, but removing the Japanese actors and actresses and replacing them with English ones drastically changes the work for no good reason.
There are good dubs out there, particularly for popular shows, and there are shows worth watching subbed and dubbed, but the majority are low quality hack jobs that only exist to pander to people who are too lazy to read subtitles. The ONLY upside is that they allow blind people to enjoy foreign shows.
>>
>>139594821
>"it's impossible to learn a language fluently if you're not a native or haven't lived there for decades"
Thats not what I said. I meant you wouldn't be able to understand culture that you would only get from firsthand experience from just watching anime. You can learn a language by studying sure but not by watching anime all day. And wouldn't translating an asian language to english especially change the script drastically? Korean and Japanese share alot of common words and things in culture it would be easier to translate more accurately.
>>
>>139593054
But there are plenty of bad japanese voice actors too you just wouldnt be able to notice them
>>
I didn't make this thread to bash sub or say dub is better or anything like that so don't get so offended faggots
>>
>>139590187
What does this have to do with why you feel superior to people that prefer watching anime dubbed. Also you've never seen old bruce lee, jackie chan kung fu movies dubbed in english? Why am I supposed to not enjoy that and only watch sub and how is it disrespecting people that made the film when they sold the rights to make the movie dubbed in the first place
>>
>>139592712
What about "they go hand in hand"?
>>
>>139592712
I'm sure you know how to speak another language fluently
>>
>>139590156
Look if anon if you enjoy to listening to third rate actors/Hollywood rejects that is your own path problem just spare us the "I a victim of mean /a/" crap
>>
>>139597414
What?
>>
>>139590156
>>>/co/
>>
>>139597565
Are you actually autistic?
>>
>>139597622
>Posts on /a/
>Not autistic

>>>/out/
>>
File: 1459707414977.png (612 KB, 636x720) Image search: [Google]
1459707414977.png
612 KB, 636x720
I dunno, if I have a choice between sub and dub for an anime usually I'll try both and then decide which I like better, sometimes it's nice to watch a dub because it makes it easier to do shit like eat or shitpost without missing stuff.That being said in like 90% of cases the sub is definitely better than the dub.
>>
>>139597951
>in like 90% of cases
>the sub is definitely better than the dub.
Why?
>>
File: 1457825053164.jpg (14 KB, 225x185) Image search: [Google]
1457825053164.jpg
14 KB, 225x185
>>139598030
Part of it is availability, most shows don't even have a dub. Like they said earlier, for a lot of shows the voice acting for the dub just feels subpar, partially because of translation errors, partly because of different actors. A specific example for me would be the Railgun series, I watched the first season subbed because I thought it was better, but couldn't find Railgun S subbed anywhere so I ended up watching the dub. Both were good, but some of the dialogue in English just made be cringe, dunno if that's because of delivery or general anime cheesiness you don't really think about when you're reading subs. Plus for that specific show they say Onii-chan alot which translated into Sissy in English, just didn't sound right.
>>
At least I don't have to stare at the bottom of the screen.

>>139590253
The anime they want to watch doesn't have a dub. That's why.
>>
>>139590156
>Subtitles are just as inaccurate to the original Japanese script as the dub
Nope. Whereas dubs are "bound" by the interaction between mouth flaps and script, subs are not. With subs the norm is (was) also several choices of subgroups, so you can usually choose a more literal one. Dubs are always aimed towards a normalfag audience, which will usually lead to more simplifications and edits to make it watchable for them.

>this elitism bullshit
Then head on over to any other anniemay community there is. Why do you come to /a/ when you could discuss your 'epik dubbed animes' with your friends over at MAL?

>I can interpret Japanese by reading facial expressions and tone of voice
I take it you watch live-action dubbed too?

The original voice acting is just as much a part of the show as the animation and music is. It's always hilarious to see you faggots pretend to care about getting the authentic experience ("waaaah 4kids"), when clearly your main interest is watching a rewrite by some random Funimation employee, acted out by the worst actors America has to offer.
>>
I know moon and have watched anime for 12 years without dubs. I see no reason to watch dubs.
>>
>>139598287
I get that the sub is obviously uploaded faster than the dub I even stated that in the dbz thread.

>>139598394
>MAL
Is a mistake and I don't have use anything where you make a profile. Also its not just on here though but if you even google "dub or sub" you'll get links to yahoo answers and even mal forums where people will just completely bash and mimic others for prefering their anime dubbed
>>
Dubfags are just a smaller subset of the shitty Americans who think they're too entitled to have to read anything, ignore shitty Americans.
>>
>>139598538
>I know moon
Same. But I also have friends that love dub or prefer to only watch dub and I have no problem with it because I used to watch akira, battle angel alita, guyver, project ako and others on vhs dubbed when I was little and I had no problems with watching them so I guess there's also a nostalgia factor I get from it.
>>
>>139590156
Some dubs are great, others suck. Some subs are awesome, others not so much. Such is life and people who bash others for their preference just don't want you to like what they don't like.
>>
>>139598651
This guy gets it
>>
English isn't my first language anyway, I don't see why I have to be bound by it.

Also we get blasted way too much with American voices in every other medium, it's nice as an escape. I mean if someone dubbed a show with an all British cast, I'd give it a spin.

Just tired of American voices in everything.
>>
File: laught at you gif.gif (487 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
laught at you gif.gif
487 KB, 500x373
>>139590156
Sub and dub is a matter of preference for burgerlanders because muh primary language.

Sub >> dub is an objective fact for anyone else living outside burgerland due to fansubbing exposure in mid 90s - early 00s.

Honestly the only one making a big hoo-ha about english dubs are you muricans, no one else cares.

>elitism
inigomontoya.png
>>
>>139590457
They don't sound cringy because you can't understand them anyways
>>
I really don't get why you fags can't watch both
>>
>>139590156
There is some anime with great english voice acting but a lot of the time the English voice acting just seems lackluster.

Also for really cheesy dialogue, some people find it more tolerable and immersive to read the subs instead of hearing it in their own language. I don't know why but for some reason actually hearing cheesy dialogue in my own language is distractingly chringe-worthy, while if I'm reading it, it's not as bad.

I think it might be an uncanny thing, like how animation can get away with more than live action (both dialogue and special effects-wise) because it's further removed from our reality.

It carries over to things that are originally in my language too. For example I managed to make it through the Twilight novels (don't ask), but I just couldn't tolerate watching the movies.
>>
>>139590156
>Dub
>Goofy voices for side chatacters
>Over the top acting for the antagonists
>40+ years old woman trying to sound last like little girls
>>
>>139599452
I agreed and besides you should always enjoy media in its native language.

When you watch a dub you are watching a Frankenstein version of the original. Something that was killed, butchered and forced back to life so the viewer doest feel alienated by foreign words and voices.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.