[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When he tries Togashi is the best artist in Shounen Jump,prove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12
File: hunter-x-hunter-4979409.jpg (155 KB, 800x1172) Image search: [Google]
hunter-x-hunter-4979409.jpg
155 KB, 800x1172
When he tries Togashi is the best artist in Shounen Jump,prove me wrong
>>
>>138711090
He probably had like a year to draw this,
oh, wait, HE DID!
>>
>>138711253
Can Oda draw anything better?Yeah i fucking thougt so.
>>
File: tities kubo.gif (218 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tities kubo.gif
218 KB, 600x600
>>138711851

Has Oda ever taken more than a couple of months break? Has Oda ever had several months to spend on one spread/cover?

Not saying he's the better artist but we have never seen what he's capable of with a lot of time.

All that said, as a Jump author Togashi is a fucking hack. He could never cut it in the industry constantly bitching about one thing or another. Never seeking help/assistants and complaining about the workload. He's a decent writer with a strong fanbase that supports him. I wouldn't put him in the same caliber as Toriyama, Oda, Kishimoto or Kubo for that matter. I term of success those other authors are far above him.
>>
>>138713155
>he's a hack for staying successful by doing what he wants without being a corporate bitch
I don't understand this.
>>
>>138713587
Entitled idiots who think work should be prioritised over health and family, even if you have zero need for money.

Togashi's writing would probably suffer if he didn't have time to plan it anyway, hiatuses are the cost for not having trash writing like the mangaka that anon listed.
>>
Killua a cute!
>>
>>138713771
>Entitled idiots who think work should be prioritised over health and family, even if you have zero need for money.

That's not how it works, stop sucking his dick fuckface. Why start a story you clearly just want money from and play around with your readers? It shouldn't be about money, it should be about him doing it because he loves doing it.

Togashi clearly doesn't love being a mangaka nor does he have any respect for his fans, none whatsoever. He lazes around because he does it for the money, since his wife has all the money he could ever hope for he decides to give 0 shits about his work and play DQ all day like the useless bum he is. Sometimes once a year he publishes a couple chapters in order to sell some Tankobons and get some more money because he's a greedy jew.

> hiatuses are the cost for not having trash writing like the mangaka that anon listed.

He has writing on the same level as those listed even if he gets an entire year to plan it, all the same shit.

Thing is that Togashi's art is garbage and his work ethics are really fucking awful, so he doesn't even deserve respect like those authors do.
>>
He's their best artist AND writer by miles.
>>
It's going to be amazing to read some more HxH after pretending to enjoy One Piece for 2 years.
>>
>>138714140
>baww, creative types who work in art fields don't exist to appease fans
Do you chuck a fit if a band or book author takes a break? The manga industry is slavery, Togashi is just lucky if he can avoid that. And yeah, keep parroting DQ memes like you've got any reason to assume that's the case, even though health reasons are by far the most logical explanation for such an erratic schedule. What do you want, proof shots of him in a hospital bed?

Oda is the only decent writer in that list but they would all be a lot better if they didn't have overlong, dragged out series- something Togashi has managed to avoid.
>>
>>138713771
>Entitled idiots who think work should be prioritised over health and family
Except Togashi's own wife got mad at him for using family as an excuse to take excessive breaks.
>>
>>138714852
Source?
>>
>>138714852
And his mother said he's not well enough for a regular schedule, who to believe? Seconding the request for source though.
>>
>>138714852
You've said this many times but have never given sauce.
>>
File: Shokugeki-no-soma-4972139.jpg (253 KB, 1200x841) Image search: [Google]
Shokugeki-no-soma-4972139.jpg
253 KB, 1200x841
>>138711090
He's not a bad artist, but best? Nah. That honor goes to Saeki

Togashi has been with Jump since 1990, so during his time he has seen the passing of Hara, Morita, Araki, Katsura, Obata, Inoue, Hojo.

So in fact, there was no era in during his stay in Jump when he would ever be considered best artist.
>>
>>138713771
>hiatuses are the cost for not having trash writing like the mangaka that anon listed
So does that mean Togashi's massively inferior to every mangaka who doesn't write trash but without taking long hiatuses, or what?
>>
File: 1458087738545.gif (965 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
1458087738545.gif
965 KB, 300x297
Today I will remind them:

Best selling manga of all time:

>#1 One Piece 380 million
>#2 Golgo 13 280 million
>#3 Dragon Ball 230 million
>#4 Naruto 220 million
>#5 Black Jack 176 million
>.
>.
>.
>#18 Bleach 82 million
>.
>.
>.
>#24 Hunter x Hunter 66 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

HxHfags BTFO.

Togashi confirmed hack. Worse than Bleach.
>>
>>138716229
Glass Mask confirmed worse than HYD.
>>
>>138716229
>total sales
>not sales per volume, the actual relevant data for how well a series sells
>>
>>138716229
I see newfags are trying to redefine words again.
>>
>>138715613
Everyone works at their own pace, when Togashi is overworked and unmotivated he produces trash like the end of YYH.
>>
>>138711090
Obata is still better, but Togashi is still high up there.
>>
File: goalpost.png (40 KB, 825x635) Image search: [Google]
goalpost.png
40 KB, 825x635
>>138716351

>literally no counter argument
>turbo mad at facts
>uses "le newfag maymay" defense.

Eey
>>
>>138711090
Kubo tied down to a consistent weekly schedule draws much better.
>>
File: togashi.png (1 MB, 1416x1000) Image search: [Google]
togashi.png
1 MB, 1416x1000
>>
>>138716473
counter argument to what?
>>
>>138716323
For some reason no one seems to care about sales per volume. I believe the record-holder is Black Jack, but aside from that I've never see any statistics on it.
>>
>>138716473
The counter argument is that HxH literally has less than half the volumes of most of those series, of course it has less total sales you retard. The fact is that the last time HxH tanks were released, they sold over a million each and were only beat by OP, SnK and one Naruto volume that year. Trying to imply the sales are bad or anyone is 'BTFO' by them is ridiculous.
>>
>>138716229
The last HxH volume was released in 2012. Counting the total sales and not the sales per volume is fucking retarded.
>>
>>138711090
Yabuki is still better than him and this is when TLR was relatively "tame"
>>
>>138716379
So he can produce decent work if you give him a year a chapter, and that's supposed to be impressive?
>>
>>138711090
>Better than Obata

Kek not even once.
>>
>>138716661

That means jack shit in terms of total profit. Crap like Bleach has made more money.

Could Togashi sell much more copies of HxH if he actually worked for a living? Sure, in fact I'm certain. But he fucking doesn't because he's a lazy asshole.

So once again, who gives a fuck about volume sales when at the end of the day. He releases maybe one volume a year. From a business standpoint Togashi is a white elephant.
>>
>>138716764
>Obata
>in Shounen Jump
Is it 2006 again?
>>
>>138716784
Nah, he puts too much effort into his story to be lazy.
>>
>>138716725
I honestly don't know where you're going with this, I never said HxH was impressive based on his work schedule. If the end product is good it doesn't matter how long it takes, but churning out chapters non stop for decades is not great for productivity and Togashi probably benefits from his breaks.
>>
File: D0q1Sbx.jpg (46 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
D0q1Sbx.jpg
46 KB, 500x357
>>138716895

>too much effort
>effort

fucking kek'd m8.
>>
>>138716942
>I honestly don't know where you're going with this
I think you need to read the reply chain back to OP, then.
>>
File: itstheshoes.jpg (13 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
itstheshoes.jpg
13 KB, 220x330
I don't think Togashi is particularly good as an artist

I mean he's not bad when he's actually got his shit together, but when you look at it as "ability make drawings happen" and balance that with "quality of drawings" he still looks pretty bad on the whole

Anyone of middling or higher talent can turn out a nice splash image like the one in the OP if they aren't constrained by deadlines. Hell I bet even that ape Sorachi could
>>
>>138716823
He was in Jump for many years concurrent to Togashi though. If we're only talking currently then Togashi himself barely counts since he himself is barely in Jump either.
>>
>>138716784
HxH makes shitloads of money and is valuable enough that Jump keeps Togashi employed despite his irregular schedule.

From a business standpoint he's just a cash cow they can't milk constantly, and from a personal finances standpoint it doesn't matter because he's rolling in cash.
>>
>>138711090
This is no different than how chinks draw manhua, except they do it in a week.
>>
File: cropped-skeleton-on-couch.jpg (65 KB, 800x460) Image search: [Google]
cropped-skeleton-on-couch.jpg
65 KB, 800x460
>>138716942
>If the end product is good it doesn't matter how long it takes, but churning out chapters non stop for decades is not great for productivity and Togashi probably benefits from his breaks.

You're making him sound like someone who takes their time to produce something immaculately crafted that ends up being genuinely remarkable as opposed to someone who just... doesn't work.

And as much as I like Hunter x Hunter, I'm not sure it could ever go anywhere great enough to justify the amount of faffing about the book has done at this point.
>>
File: lwer.gif (397 KB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
lwer.gif
397 KB, 245x138
>When he tries Togashi is the best artist in Shounen Jump
>>
>>138711090
No he isn't, but when he tries it looks pretty nice
>>
Based Togashi sets his own schedule, and doesn't give a fuck what loser otaku think
>>
>>138717504
If only his free time reflected on the quality of his work....
>>
>>138717504
Yeah, WSJ's core market sure is hardcore otaku.
>>
>>138717430
Why are you reading so much into such a simple concept? At no point have I said that he's making a masterpiece, or any praise at all really, just that people benefit from working at their own pace. When he's forced to work it turns to shit like YYH. If you dont think HxH is remarkable that's fine, but irrelevant because I never said it is, just that it would be worse if he didn't take his time.
>>
>When he tries
>When he tries
>When he tries
>When he tries
>>
>>138717724
I think the point is that he's clearly not working for nine months planning five chapters of content or whatever. You're trying to paint is as necessary preparation time when the vast majority of it is clearly just him not working for whatever reason.
>>
>>138711090
Fuck no! His character designs fucking terrible and even when he tries it feels lackluster in comparison to other Jump artist. But there's an intentional creativity to be found in its lack of detail that it allows him to experiment and get away with more, when he dabs into surrealism or ugliness is where he truly shines as a versatile artist because unlike so many Jump artist his art is never clean and even after the anime refined his designs he doesn't take after it.
>>
>>138717994
This. Hell on one of his previous hiatuses he was caught participating in a Shogi tournament.
>>
>>138711090
He's one of the better current artists in WSJ, but not the best, and that's a pretty limited pool anyway.
>>
>>138718023
>his art is never clean
>the anime refined his designs
I really hope you're joking.
>>
>>138717994
That's an irrelevant point because I didn't claim that either. He could spend a year planning or playing DQ or trying to work through writers block, but whatever it is it's obviously something he needs to do before he's prepared to keep writing. If he couldn't do it then he'd probably just throw in the towel.
>>
File: 1458108594507.jpg (65 KB, 520x442) Image search: [Google]
1458108594507.jpg
65 KB, 520x442
>>138716229
Most of the best manga aren't even on the list, it's all shonen shit with 500 volumes of filler
>>
>>138718268
Are you not the guy I started off talking to? Because his initial claim was that the hiatuses are the cost for not having trash writing like some other mangaka, and yours now is that hiatuses are necessary because Togashi would quit if he actually had to produce chapters regularly.
>>
File: 1443277628100.png (261 KB, 731x720) Image search: [Google]
1443277628100.png
261 KB, 731x720
>Oda
>decent writer
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.