[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is coughing blood good character writing ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 72015_1288891373544_full.jpg (115 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
72015_1288891373544_full.jpg
115 KB, 640x480
what's the deal with characters coughing litters of blood in almost every show ? I never really paid attention until I rewatched Excel saga making fun of this cliche through Hyatt.
In medieval settings there's always that pale fragile looking guy who always coughs between every words and vomits gallons of blood when he pushes himself a little. Or this girl in modern settings who spits chunks of lungs. What's the deal ? is it common to have this disease in japan ?
>>
Almost every show? The only cases I can think of where people go spraying blood all over, without the character having been beaten to a pulp or some such, is Excel Saga and Chibi Vampire Karin, and they're both a bit peculiar about it.

So a clear confirmation bias suspect.

That said, it's a very clear and dramatic way if you want to show that someone is severely unwell. By comparison paleness and fever don't show up well in the medium, a general collapse greatly limits the characters ability to act, and going for boils, scabs, and all the other things you can start leaking is often rather too icky for the mood desired.

So if you want a tragic suffering guy, you don't give him dysentery or tertiary syphilis, you go for tuberculosis.
>>
>>138593601
Also the president of Sora no manimani and the teacher of Rakudai.
>>
The teacher lady in Full Metal Alchemist because she gave up her "insides".

Ukitake in Bleach because he got sick as a kid and his parents had to bond him to the Soul King's hand in order to live.
>>
the sickly pale astral projection guy in vampire hunter D
>>
>>138593267
EXCEL SAGA IS GOAT

THE WORLD DROWNS IN HYATTO'S COUGH BLOOD LIKE REI'S TANG
>>
>>138593267

bruh, it's called tuberculosis.
>>
>>138601207

>tuberculosis.

aka consumption
>>
>>138601207
And TB is highly contagious, so it's not unreasonable at all that multiple people in the same pre-industrial setting would have it.
>>
>>138601340

And TB literally does make people cough up blood, so is actually a case of an anime trope being semi-realistic?
>>
>is coughing blood good character writing?

>99% of anime Anime
>Anything resembling good character writing
>pick one.
>>
>>138601913

>the edges just keep getting edgier
>>
File: end of excelgelion.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
end of excelgelion.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>138598534
>>
>>138593267
>pale fragile looking guy who always coughs between every words and vomits gallons of blood when he pushes himself a little
This is my fetish.
>>
>>138593267
>In medieval settings there's always that pale fragile looking guy who always coughs between every words and vomits gallons of blood when he pushes himself a little.
That was a standard fantasy cliche long before I ever started seeing it in anime (see Elric or Raistlin). They're just pulling from old material that most of their viewers won't be familiar with.
>>
File: Hyatt.png (669 KB, 640x1700) Image search: [Google]
Hyatt.png
669 KB, 640x1700
>>138593267

Hyatts a Martian. Earths atmosphere doesn't agree with her. Bit like War of the worlds.
>>
>>138593267
doc holliday made it cool
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.