[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know people will be evasive about this topic but I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: gits-post-1.jpg (346 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gits-post-1.jpg
346 KB, 1920x1080
I know people will be evasive about this topic but I'll try it anyway. A complaint people have about lots of anime is the frame count and the resulting fluidity in animation or lack there of. Sure there are scenes in which the frame rate will escalate, during action scenes or emotional outbursts by the characters. But most of the time we have still frames with claping mouths or just have them slide to make some kind of illusion of movement. This is evident even in movies, though to a lesser extent. How do people argue against this?

In my case, I don't. I just accept it as a flaw commercial anime has. I watch more anime than european or american animation, though I watch both. Most of my favorite titles, especially when it comes to series, are japanese. But I can't argue against the fact that the creators of anime lack in terms of frame rate management compared to their western counterparts. It could be blamed on lack of budgets, but american series have the same problems. William Hanna and Joseph Barbera are credited with developing lots of techniques related to frame animation because they couldn't get the budgets animated features had and yet they still managed to make cartoons more fluidly animated than lots of the more high budget anime series, like let's say Stand Alone Complex or Fate/Zero.
>>
>>138305948
What's your point?
>>
>>138305948
>>>/qa/

This is the place were you can master the art of shitposting.
>>
>>138307242
How would people argue against the use of limited animation in anime.
>>138307301
Just because you don't want to confront the subject matter doesn't mean it's shitposting. If I wanted to shitpost I'd say something like "anime is dumb", "why is it all moeshit and robutts", "why does it have so much fanservice", "why does it all look the same". What's sad is that people actually answer shit like that but somehow when I want to talk about the quality of animation which is something that actually matters in this medium I get this kind of response.
>>
>>138305948
>american series have the same budgets
yawn
Report, hide, sage.
>>
>>138307481
Listen, everybody knows that you don't watch Japanese animation for the quality of animation. Animation is overrated anyway. The main appeal of Japanese anime is the variety of genres and themes which are not influenced by the bullshit western standards (see: SJW shit) and the specific camera work that is the trademark of the Japanese and closer to actual cinematic style than the cartoony Western counterpart which follows a rule of focusing more on the animation.
>>
>>138305948
This article answers some of your questions. http://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/01/08/why-over-sixty-years-of-animation-history-still-remains-obscure/
>>
>>138307581
When it comes to an anime series the average cost of an episode is about 7000$ per minute of animation. In a western series I know more detailed estimates are 2000-5000 for less detailed and up to 10000 for more detailed. Take into account that voice actors are paid a lot more in the states (in raw dolars, not necessarily compared to general salaries) and that animators are paid less in japan. Both outsource animation as well.
>>
>>138307769
You've been posting this a lot
>>
>>138307761
True, but even if those qualities outweight it, it's still a flaw. I don't think it's "overrated". I mean, there would be no reason to watch anime in the first place if animation wasn't an important aspect.

I mean look at it the other way around. Would anime be worse if it were actually more fluidly animated? I think everyone would say it would be better.

I mean it is called "animation", not "cinema" or "picture art".
>>
>>138308488
The thing is fluid animation doesn't make it necessarily dynamic. Japanese animation is also nothing but the "face" of a bigger industry composed of manga, doujinshi, goods, seiyuu, idols, and so on.

When you like anime, you don't like it because it's animation. You like because it's the essence of Japanese culture. Manga and anime have an amazing amount of artstyles, much more than you could probably count in all the other animation works in the other parts of the world, many of which copy the modern Japanese style, the soundtrack are also much more diverse, and the character songs also help people feel like they are following their favourite characters' lives.

You don't like Japanese anime for the sake of animation. Even the stuff in the 80s/90s that people look back fondly to isn't full of sakuga. If sakuga was everywhere, the very notion probably wouldn't exist because you need downs to get a more understanding comparative look at the ups.
You like Japanese animation because it's the essence of Japanese culture and exaggeration/deformation of real life
>>
>>138309108
Phew, I've repeated myself a little too much. Guess that serves me right for being on the internet at 5:20 in the morning.
>>
File: 1454781424053.gif (854 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454781424053.gif
854 KB, 500x500
>>138305948

its not a flaw. cartoons get away with consistent fluid animation only because of their over simplified designs and unimaginative actions. anime is more cinematic the characters are more anatomically correct and most genres are action heavy.

90% of western animation consists of two set of blobs with a face standing in at the center of the frame in a perpetual 3/4 view, they will talk walk and grab things until the punchline when the camera cuts to a closeup in which the character goes of model to express one of three emotions joy/anger/sadness

if anime followed this same formula it would also have a consistent frame-rate
>>
>>138308402
Not that guy but it's a pretty good read.
>>
>>138309108
>Manga and anime have an amazing amount of artstyles
American and european doesn't? It pretty much varies from person or company. That's why people will recognize something as Disney, Don Bluth, Bakshi or Tartakovsky style. If you just say american animation style, people wouldn't have any coherent vision. Or they'd just visualize golden era disney, which wouldn't really fit the rest.
>>
>>138312735
I agree. I think western animation isn't lacking in diversity.

As to OP's question, my answer is also: accept it.
>>
File: 018.gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
018.gif
2 MB, 580x433
>>138310322
>gives input on animation discussion
>posts tweened to hell and back garbage
Tweened animation is so different from cel/frame animation, the kind of animation that every anime is, that you cant compare the two in this kind of argument.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.