[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /a/ like war manga such as kingdom, ravages of time and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: Kingdom.png (1 MB, 1680x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom.png
1 MB, 1680x1200
Does /a/ like war manga such as kingdom, ravages of time and ruler of the land?
>>
>Manga
>Ravages of time
>ruler of the land

Manhua and Manhwa

But I dropped Ruler after they introduced the animal loli with one-sided misunderstanding-based affection, just to have her ntr'd by the other disciple. She then goes on and on for chapters about how she's being unfaithful for having feelings for him.

Koreans and cuckoldry, I swear to fucking god. They try to leave it out and yet STILL introduce FAKE cuckolding.

It's like genetically ingrained or something.
>>
>war

fuck yes
>>
Can I read ravages of time without knowing shit about China?
>>
>>136361500
Ravages of Time is pages and pages of expositions: the manga, so yes you can still read it, and it's going to be a lot of reading.

In all seriousness, RoT was really very good, and if you're a Three Kingdoms nerd you'll love it because of all the clever references (both to historical sources and the novel) Chan makes in his manga. But I'm a Chinese myself so I was more easily sold

It's current quality is a shadow of its former self, though to be fair, it is 14 years old and it's had its time.

Also, if it means anything to you, one of its main protagonists is a tsundere trap
>>
>>136362094
Who can I self insert as for maximum concubinage?
>>
>>136362094
>It's current quality is a shadow of its former self, though to be fair, it is 14 years old and it's had its time.

I dunno anon, I agree that it's dipped a lot from it's hey day but that's also due to Lu Bu being the author's favorite. I thought the schemes for Red Cliff and Huarong was pretty reminiscent of the series at it's pique though.

And don't tell me you didn't have a shit eating grin from the last chapter when Cao Cao was trying to joke around near his death again followed by the punchline.

Even Guan Du had the grave diggers, though the scan quality is so shit people probably got turned off during that arc.

>>136361500
You can just read it again. It's a series where even people in the know about 3K have to read it again and again to catch everything unless they search it up on forums where people spoon feed you. And that's not possible for Ravages cause all the forums and stuff in the know are all in Chinese.

You should read it along side, or read Sangokushi first which is being scanlated by Hox. That or play Dynasty Warriors. You don't need a deep understanding, but just recognizing characters and their main trait, specific battles and outcomes, etc etc makes the series ironically a lot more amusing because you are reading a work where the author somehow turns everything up to 11 while still making sense, in fact making more sense than the original which has plot holes the size of the ocean.

Like take Sangokushi for example, how the fuck do you reverse engineer a wheel barrow down to the last detail yet not know how the locking mechanism works? It's LOGH tier stupidity.
>>
>>136362341
There's very little harem antics in this series, so don't get your hopes up. The two main characters range from winning the heart of a cunning waifu to having a love triangle with a 'princess' and a trap.

Technically Cao Cao was swarming in bitches but you rarely even get to see women beside him. Hell I don't think we ever even saw any of his wives.
>>
>>136360698
Man, I thought Ouki was a cunt the first time I saw him.

Turned out he was a total bro.
>>
I like wargames like Eiyuu Senki and Koihime. Fuck the rest.
>>
>>136362714
You forgot Rance
>>
>>136362714
Those are inferior to Skyrim.
>>
>>136362611
I remember reading the beginning and there was that vassal that crossdressed and threw away her womanhood for her lord. Or was that a eunuch/the trap you mentioned?
>>
>>136363048
That's the novel. In Ravages it's a trap, and the 'lord' he worked for is simply an associate of his young master one of the two main characters. He only dresses up as a woman during infiltration and is otherwise just a twink top tier archer albeit weak as fuck due to low testosterone unlike the other archers.

Just read it blind if you're lazy. It's one of those series that it's clearly intended for you to re-read. Absolutely no one gets everything the first time. NO ONE.
>>
>>136362094
>shadow of its former self
That describes Kingdom far more, though it was unavoidable given how historically one sided it was. It's a miracle the author even made Houken so fearsome and the whole coalition thing into being so heart pounding despite being nothing more than a footnote in the records.

Chances are it won't ever reach that point again until Chu campaign. Maybe Zhao if we're lucky.
>>
File: 17 (5).jpg (174 KB, 728x1014) Image search: [Google]
17 (5).jpg
174 KB, 728x1014
>>136363263
I absolutely guarantee you next timeskip Sei's daughter has a loli-hime crush on Shin and his final harem member is decided after 50 volumes.

Still mad he didn't bang that noble girl he rescued during that filler arc
>>
File: 1453231669025.png (493 KB, 769x520) Image search: [Google]
1453231669025.png
493 KB, 769x520
>>136363166
>re-read something that's 400 fuking chapters long
>>
File: Historie v08 p068-069.png (726 KB, 2250x1600) Image search: [Google]
Historie v08 p068-069.png
726 KB, 2250x1600
Yes, but it'd be nice to see more stuff like Gunka no Baltzar showing less-frequently covered war periods. I'd love something set in the pike & shot era or Europe or maybe even naval combat of any era.

>>136362499
>how the fuck do you reverse engineer a wheel barrow down to the last detail yet not know how the locking mechanism works?

Haha, I thought the same thing too. There are even weirder interpretations that instead of it being a wheelbarrow, it was actual mechanical machine.
>>
>>136363607
Eumenes making a paddle-boat at the beginning of Historie was so silly, like he could've taken the amount of time just walking down the shore until he found a rowboat. He didn't even know if it would work.
>>
>>136363604
What are you a casual? That's like 48 hours max.
>>
Are there any good Roman themed manga?

I've been searching for ages and the only one I've found was Thermae Romae... Which isn't exactly a serious manga.

>>136363714
Indeed. I caught up to Kingdom within the same timeframe.
>>
>>136363764
Ad Astra is a manga about the 2nd punic war.It's alright.
>>
>>136363796
Thanks
>>
>>136363607
>There are even weirder interpretations that instead of it being a wheelbarrow, it was actual mechanical machine.

Doesn't that make it even less likely they would be fooled? Making it more complex would require proper engineers to inspect the oxen carts.
>>
>>136363796
I got really pissed after awhile because the first few chapters painted Hannibal as the central focus, but the manga seems to empathize with Scipio the most. I wanna see more internal monologues from Hannibal as he rapes women and eats babies.
>>
>>136363698
>, like he could've taken the amount of time just walking down the shore until he found a rowboat.

Wait, I understand the silliness of his invention given that the way he did it seemed pretty flimsy but since when do rowboats randomly park themselves on shores? What guarantee was there that he could acquire one even if there was one a few kilometers away? Who the fuck leaves their rowboat alone in the first place back then?
>>
>>136363834
There's also Heureka, which is only 1 volume long, about the Roman siege of Syracuse.

>>136363842
Oh no, I wasn't trying to account for how they were fooled. I was making a tangential point about how there are variant interpretations of the wheelbarrow not being a wheelbarrow.
>>
>>136363906
Ah, well personally I think the wheelbarrow made more sense, since it was easier to make and therefore less likely to mess up. It's not like they brought a whole corps of workshop craftsmen with them right?
>>
>>136363856
Yeah, it would be nice if the spotlight could be shared more evenly. Also, I don't really like Hannibal's character design.
>>
>>136363906
Were do you guys get these?

All I've ever found when trawling through manga with the historical tag are powerlevel shit.
>>
>>136364026
And romance
>>
>>136364017
What do you not like about it? That he's a pretty boy? Or that he doesn't eat babies and rapes women on panel? I'm so unfamiliar with Hannibal/Scipio that my only reference is Drifters and wikipedia.
>>
>>136364026
Heureka is literally drawn by the same guy who draws Historie. Ad Astra is constantly updated on all the reader sites, same with the other series mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>136364009
Yeah, the wheelbarrow is the conservative view, and I think the Sanguozhi even claims that Zhuge Liang even invented it, just like in the novel, contrary to archaeological evidence. Who knows, maybe Zhuge Liang really did invent a wheelbarrow, but a specialized variant that made it more efficient or something.

As for the craftsmen thing, I think armies of that time would have had craftsmen of some sort as part of their non-combatant personnel to help with repair/maintenance of arms and armour, as well as constructing camps, bridges, and other fortifications.
>>
>>136364071
I'm purely talking about how he looks artistically in the manga. He just doesn't exude the bold aura that the Hannibal in my mind does.
>>
>>136364071
He seems Mary Sue as fuck, but I wouldn't mind that.

Hannibal's childhood was just so interesting that I couldn't help becoming invested.
>In the council chamber using the lightning as a ploy to declare himself Bal's son and rally the city to take back their women from Rome
Gave me chills man.

>>136363905
I've played skyrim and apparently rowboats are found every five feet in medieval times.
>>
>>136364126
Oh no doubt, but what I meant was it's not likely that during that particular campaign his engineers alone had the manpower to make all those wheelbarrows by themselves, nor would you plan it around just those engineers.

You would logically give them some additional soldiers to do misc and simple tasks, like cutting down trees, shaving away the wood, yada yada.

But the more complex the item gets, the harder it is for those extra helpers to accurately accomplish their task is, and the more work each engineer has to do by themselves.

It just makes more sense to me to be efficient. Unless the manga didn't cover some advantage beyond the locking mechanism that would require it to be more complex.

Also the more complex it gets, the more likely steel/metal is involved. From the manga chapter at least, I didn't get the impression they started forges and stuff cause that would start a fire and that would telegraph their intentions to the enemy. So I'm thinking the locking mechanism is merely made of wood and maybe some spare metal. It just didn't seem like Zhuge came in with bags of nuts and bolts.

Otherwise, actually this has always been something on my mind, how can any of these guys during 3K make so many technological advances but not mass produce crossbows like Qin did 400 years ago? Crossbows were overpowered.
>>
File: 1423463986910.png (440 KB, 544x444) Image search: [Google]
1423463986910.png
440 KB, 544x444
>>136360698
>>
>>136364243
Yeah you're right. He's more like a civilized schemer that pretends to be savage. You could practically slap one of them rice hats with a mask on his head and call him the 9th genius in training.

Even Zhang Fei looked more bold than he does. Probably the muscle mass and how he always has saliva coming out of his mouth when he yells.

>>136364280
>I've played skyrim and apparently rowboats are found every five feet in medieval times.

The Nords were a trusting people. Think about it, they trusted Ulfric to understand the big picture. Let's not forget how every guild trusted the Dragonborn as the leader when he has to juggle 20 radiant quests at once.

I agree Hannibal's childhood was cleverly done. I wouldn't even say he's Mary Sue-ish, the guy has fucked up so far and he's not even accounting for Scipio.
>>
>>136364358
I think historically, the armies of the 3K era were using lots and lots of crossbowmen. I believe the Sanguozhi makes an explicit mention of them in the battle of Jieqiao between Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan.

However, my theory is that since the actual novel was written by Luo Guanzhong in the Ming, and the Mao version that we all read today was written in the Qing, both periods in which the crossbows were rarely used by armies and replaced by early guns (the Song was the last golden age for crossbows in Chinese armies), the writers simply didn't have crossbowmen in mind when writing Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
>>
Kingdom was pretty great up until it started meandering through battles. Watching Shin rise through the ranks and take heads was cool, but now battles seem less interesting.
A time skip might help.
>>
Kingdom and Souten Kouro are extremely my shit.

I never could get into Historie, I prefer manga about China because I know so little about Chinese history that it reads like a fantasy manga.

I also really liked Vagabond but I'm not sure if you would place that in the same category, probably not.

Also shameless request, does anyone recall a high fantasy manga where Jesus is a dark wizard, and there are elves and orcs? I wanted to add it to my backlog but I forgot the name and Google gives me nothing. I think someone that worked on Hellsing had something to do with it, maybe the illustrator.
>>
>>136364601
That makes sense. Maybe most of the more famous archers during 3K were actually just using cross bows.
>>
>>136364652
I want to see Shin's estate already or for him to impregnate Kyoukai or Ten. Sei already has some children afterall.
>>
>>136364790
Is it Drifters?
>>
>>136364652
Not saying I can't see where you are coming from, but it was pretty clear that Shin soloing 24/7 was only going to be during his early stages when he had very little to command. The bigger the warfare gets, the more Shin's own actions have to take a back seat.
>>
>>136364797
When there's talk about officers being skilled with a bow, that's definitely a traditional bow. But when it comes to masses of missile troops, I don't think the 3K-era armies would be lacking in crossbows.
>>
>>136364817
I think it's theorized that the palace girl is the one who adopts Shin into her family, thereby giving him the surname of Li. Until then he isn't getting decked out very much because I believe it was said somewhere that he spends money like water for his unit.
>>
File: Chapter_1_cover.png (2 MB, 1679x1200) Image search: [Google]
Chapter_1_cover.png
2 MB, 1679x1200
>>136364882
He's gonna get fucking manly soon
>>
>>136364889
Was there any benefit to those officers training with the bow instead of a crossbow? I mean being an officer you can just have one guy close to you carry a bunch of spare ones and do the reloading for you while you cycle through shots.
>>
>>136364790
Definitely Drifters. There's also an anime coming out soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4DcCVIPJJ0
>>
>>136364972
>soon

That's like around 10 years away isn't it? We still haven't even gone past Zhao yet where Kanki loses like a bitch to Riboku and Kyoukai is officially named a general ahead of Shin.
>>
File: 9 (5).jpg (170 KB, 728x1040) Image search: [Google]
9 (5).jpg
170 KB, 728x1040
>>136364940
>Settling with part of Sei's neglected harem

Poor boy, Kyoukai really wanted that kid too, maybe she gonna go full concubine. The tiny bit of romantic subplot would really fall flat if he just does a political marriage thing.
>>
>>136364978
Well, the bow as a symybol of martial prowess was well ingrained in Chinese culture (for example, see: mythical Houyi). So any officer trying to prove that he's up for the job would need to be able to demonstrate skills in horsemanship, archery, spear and swordsmanship.

Meanwhile, those officers were probably riding horses during battle, and the typical crossbows of that period would be very difficult to reload on horseback. Crossbows were very much an infantry-weapon, requiring two feet to reload, so it'd be better for officers to be more proficient with the bow, a weapon more easily usable while on horseback.
>>
>>136364853
>>136365013

Wow thanks guys that's it

I wish you were here with me so I could give you each 5 Bison Dollars
>>
>>136364940
So no Kyoukai?

That's depressing
>>
>>136365130
Technically what Kyoukai said isn't wrong.
>>
>>136364817
Doujins when?
>>
>>136364817
Muh dick.
>>
>>136365130
More likely, Kyoukai will have the same relationship with Shin as Ouki did with Kyou. Except maybe Kyoukai will put out.
>>
>>136365210
Damn you're right. Does this mean Lu Bu was actually hot shit? At least as an archer.
>>
>>136365428
Please no
>>
>>136365462
The few historical records all agree that he was a great archer and horsemen, so there's no reason to doubt it. That being said, that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be only whizzing out arrows on horseback during battle, since a general has more stuff to do during battle than single-mindedly fighting like a soldier.
>>
>>136365428
I'll drop this if that happens
>>
>>136365513
>>136365672
Don't want to see Kyoukai preggers + produce superior 3 kingdoms eugenics babies?
>>
>>136365728
>Don't want to see Kyoukai preggers + produce superior 3 kingdoms eugenics babies?
Why would I not?

I was merely worried that Kyoukai would pull out, which would make me quite likely to drop it.
>>
>>136365780
Anon said "put out" not "pull out"

Putting out meaning, ya know, sex
>>
>>136365864
Ah, I assumed it was a typo.

That happening would be great.
>>
>>136365130
>inb4 end where Shin marries everyone and sails to Japan as the emperor goes insane
>>
>>136365907
Kakuri would be proud.
>>
I think I'm more interested in the effects of war instead rather than actual bloodshed. Reading Showa right now and it's pretty good.
>>
>>136365728
>a child that combines the strengths of the 2
>Shin's strength and inhuman stamina
>Kyoukai's chi control that makes you superhumanly fast and lasts as long as you have stamina
>>
File: 13 (4).png (714 KB, 728x2118) Image search: [Google]
13 (4).png
714 KB, 728x2118
>>136367276
Could he be the one to rival Zasid Torus?
>>
>>136362499
Yes, the grave digging part was the highlight of Guan Du. Seeing Yuan Shou's son fleeing like a kitten from Huo only to run into Zhang Liao was surprisingly humorous against the back drop of Xiao Meng's death

If anyone else got sold and want to read this series, just remember our warning - you can skip the Guan Du arc and nothing of value is lost.
>>
>>136363263
Are you crazy? The current arc is fucking great, Kingdom has lots of things to show us.

Kanki is going to fuck shit up, can't wait to see how Shin and him will clash when they win but Kanki decides to rape everyone and their daughters in that village.

And Kingdom is more popular than even, like 8 million copies so it's not doing bad.
>>
>>136368338
Doesn't the 8 trigrams come into play later for Zhuge? I think that, and Zhang Liao's foreshadowing at Hefei are the things that stand out with the Grave Digging.

I'd argue the Wu stuff was fun, but in hindsight it's more hype than action unless you count old man Huang beasting about. Wonder just how strong he was in his prime.
>>
>>136368550
The current arc is the precursor of Zhao campaign, so it's not bad, but it's nowhere near as amazing as the start of Shin's battles when he first fought Wei -> Zhao -> Wei -> etc.

The formula before the time skip was very gradual and each arc benefited from the last. Post time skip the Ryofui stuff doesn't really benefit the subsequent arcs, in fact we don't even see Ryofui get his due and it just skips ahead.

I don't think a single sales number can reflect the quality of an arc. It'd be different once the entire arc volumes came out and numbers get posted, but what you're saying has no definitive bearing when for all I know it could just be a lot of people buying the coalition arc tanks.

Look at One Piece. In one year they sold like more then 10x the amount they did this year, but that was because that year was when they churned out a huge amount of previous volumes or something and had nothing to do with their current arc.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.