[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it with light novels having obscenely long names?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 24
File: (g'.')g Q('.'Q).png (512 KB, 620x340) Image search: [Google]
(g'.')g Q('.'Q).png
512 KB, 620x340
What is it with light novels having obscenely long names?
>>
>>121862159
Oreimo started it.
>>
>>121862159
Blame Oreimo. Light novels before Oreimo had relatively normal names.

Interestingly, the trend didn't really catch on with manga for some reason.
>>
>>121862159
It's time

>I Really Needed Money, But This Guy Who Loaned Them Now Demands A Pound Of Flesh From Me!
>Our Families Are Fighting, But I Actually Really Like That Capulletti Girl!
>The Year Is 1984, And I Can't Stop Loving My Big Brother!
>We're Prince's Two Best Friends, But We Have Zero Clue How We Got Here!
>My Father Is A King And Has Died A Mysterious Death, But It Turns Out That My Uncle Is The Killer?!
>I Need To Travel Around The World, But I Only Have Eighty Days To Do That?!
>I'm An Immoral Hedonist, But It's Not A Problem As Long As My Portrait Ages Instead Of Me, Right?
>My Inner Beast Can't Be Contained, But I'm Just A Simple Doctor!
>My Father Is A God And Now I'm Somehow Forced To Sail Around the World Doing A Bunch Of Oddjobs!?
>I Was Recruited To Be a Squire To a Knight But All We Do Is Fight Windmills!
>No Way!! My Best Friends Just Betrayed And Got Me Thrown To Prison But At Least I Get To Become Really Rich!?
>There's No Way My Roommate Is Actually A Brilliant Detective
>I'm An English King, But My Adviser Don't Know What's The Difference Between African and European Swallows?!
>The jealousy of one of my dad's wives is driving me insane!
> Jeez, Darcy-san, I'm only here because of my friend so don't get the wrong idea, got it!?
>>
>>121862382
Too many characters means not enough room for characters.
>>
>>121862647
>>There's No Way My Roommate Is Actually A Brilliant Detective
Fuck off Sherlock
>>
>>121862647
>The World Has Ended So Me And My Dad Walk Along This Road!
>I'm A Spaceship Captain, But I Need to Rendezvous With This Alien Cylinder Called Rama!
>>
Oversaturated market lead to increase competition for attention lead to titles becoming plot summaries.
>>
>>121862647
>I'm a successful light novel author at a boy's high school, but I'm being strangled by a female classmate who's a voice actress and is younger than me (1) - Time to Play -
>>
>My Dad is That Black Guy's Lawyer? And What's Up With that Boo Radley?
>>
>>121863918
Why don't people just turn over the book and read the synopsis on the back before purchase?
>>
>>121863996
But the cover has cute girls.
>>
>I'm In A Highschool Full Of Amazing Students And We've All Lost Our Memories And This Monochrome Bear Is Making Us Kill Each Other!
>>
File: 1424357014569.png (80 KB, 375x383) Image search: [Google]
1424357014569.png
80 KB, 375x383
>My Imouto Is Really A Gruff But Lovable Mafia Muscle Who Is "Getting To Old For This Business"?!
>My Opposite Sex Clone Raped Me!
>I'm Going To Court, But All The Lawyers Are Little Girls?!
>I'm Going To Prison, But All The Inmates Are Gorillas?!
>My Imouto Is A Gorilla?!
>>
>>121862382
>Interestingly, the trend didn't really catch on with manga for some reason.

Now that all those LN's are getting mangas it might also become a thing there.
>>
>>121862159
Oreimo started it and it was pretty funny, so all the budding LN writers started copying it. It's like how sci-fi novels went through this weird period in the mid-60s and 70s where the covers had no relation at all to the story or the title.
>>
> Can I Save the World With this Dejected Robot at My Side?
>>
>My Grandpa Made a Dinosaur Theme Park? What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
>>
>>121862159
>My Light Novel's Name Is Too Long, But I Can't Make It Shorter Otherwise It Won't Sell Well!
>>
>Belka Lost The War But This Splinter Faction Wants To End All Wars By Destroying All Nations And I Need To Stop It In My Jet!
>>
>>121864227
I'm sure this exists somewhere.
>>
>I'm Solving a Crime but the Person Helping Me is a Serial Killer?!?!
>>
>>121862647
>>The Year Is 1984, And I Can't Stop Loving My Big Brother!
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????
>>
>>121862647
>Our Families Are Fighting, But I Actually Really Like That Capulletti Girl!
Go away Juliet. Nobody likes you.
>>
>My childhood friend just started a war in the Balkans, but now they're a little girl too!?
>>
>My Little Annexation Of Crimea Can't Possibly Be This Controversial!
>>
File: jaden smith.jpg (589 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
jaden smith.jpg
589 KB, 800x1200
>>121862647
What would Jaden Smith write about?
>>
File: 1377912227720.jpg (290 KB, 1024x938) Image search: [Google]
1377912227720.jpg
290 KB, 1024x938
>>
>>121862647
>I love my master but after creating me, he runs away and calls me a monster!? I just want to be his girlfriend!!!

>My real-estate work took me to Eastern Europe and now I'm stuck in a castle with 3 girls and an old man? come on!
>>
>>121864622
no fucking way, how are those real titles?

>all those moon-runes
>>
>It begins

https://salty-salty-studios.com/shiz/lncovers.php
>>
>>121864622
I hope the guy who did Nyaruko wrote the middle one. Otherwise why is Lovecraft so popular over their?
>>
File: would read.jpg (132 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
would read.jpg
132 KB, 600x900
>>
>>121864779
>>
>I'm stuck on a giant floating whale with a bunch of British during World War I after my mecha broke down
>>
File: This is what I want Villager.png (311 KB, 424x493) Image search: [Google]
This is what I want Villager.png
311 KB, 424x493
>The King got NTR'd and now I have to tell him stories or he'll kill every woman in the country!
>My brother found a cave full of loot and now thieves want my head!
>My master locked me in an ancient vault but now I have a Jinn as my personal slave!
>My Neighbor is a famous explorer and he keeps inviting me over to dinner!
>>
>Help! My Car Is Alive and She's an Over Protective Girlfriend to Boot!
>>
>>121864622
Some scholar in the future will write a paper about this in the future analyzing the socioeconomic relation with the politics of the Abe administration.

Also does anyone notice that the title for JAVs and movies also follow this trend? The translated titles are hilarious.
>>
>>121864942
>>The King got NTR'd and now I have to tell him stories or he'll kill every woman in the country!
I don't think that's how it went. I'm sure it was that the king married a woman and then killed her the next day before marrying a new one. Shahrazad kept herself alive by telling stories with cliffhangers so that she can stay alive another night.
>>
>I'm trapped in the belly of a horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death?!
>>
>>121864622
Add:
>[I was Reincarnated as an Evil God and My Subordinate's Demon Army is on the Brink of Annihilation, What Should I Do?]
>>
Titles like these make me legit sick to my stomach. If anime and manga followed this trend I could see myself stopping.
>>
>>121863996
Do you pick up books that have really dull titles when you're at the bookstore? No, you only read the synopsis.

Also, light novels don't have a plot summary off of the shelves. You'd have to read about it online, or read the book.
>>
>>121865028
These reincarnation/summoned in a fantasy setting stories seem to be rather popular. Especially the "dark" ones.
>>
It's hard to accept how "normal" novels like Twelve Kingdoms and Durarara are also considered light novels when the market is saturated with reeking pile of shit.
>>
File: ten outta ten.jpg (132 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ten outta ten.jpg
132 KB, 600x900
>>
>A big hairy oaf that got expelled in this third year of school is telling me that I'm a wizard!
>>
>>121864993
The reason he killed his wife after every night was because his original wife cheated on him. He killed his first wife and married a new one every day and kept going like that until hundreds of women were dead. No one could stop him, since he was the king. Shahrazad realizes that the only way to stop him from killing every woman in the country is to make him fall in love again, so with the help of her imouto, she tells the king badass stories with cliffhanger endings, and after 1001 nights, he falls in love with her and the land is saved.

TLDR: I read the Arabian Nights, yes that is how it went.
>>
Long names are chunni
LNfags are the most chunni mediumbase
>>
>>121865001
>It's Happening?! It's Not A Grave, It's The Future You Chose!?!?
>>
File: would read.jpg (119 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
would read.jpg
119 KB, 600x900
>>
>One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
>>
>>121865164
Ah shit I forgot that beginning part. And here I was wondering what his motive for killing his wives was. It's been a long time since I read that shit.
>>
>>121864857
>>
>>121862647
>I Was Recruited To Be a Squire To a Knight But All We Do Is Fight Windmills!
I would watch a Don Quixote anime.
>>
>>121862647
>>My Father Is A King And Has Died A Mysterious Death, But It Turns Out That My Uncle Is The Killer?!
Lion king, lots of others
>>
File: ghost 'loli monopoly' banri.png (379 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ghost 'loli monopoly' banri.png
379 KB, 1280x720
>I was murdered by my greedy coworker and now I've come back from the dead and have to save my girlfriend by teaming up with a psychic.
>>
>>121865086
It's only because Narou is all about reincarnation/summon and it's the biggest webnovel site
And there are only two novels from that site that got animated, with the third one coming soon (Overlord)
>>
File: dissapointingly perfect.png (1 MB, 1228x650) Image search: [Google]
dissapointingly perfect.png
1 MB, 1228x650
>>121865223
It's good shit. Some of the stories have sort repetitive tropes that keep popping up, but I really enjoyed the read overall.
>>
>>121862159
it's an entire medium in which the total lack of succinctness, tact and efficiency in conveying basic things is embraced, it was really only a matter of time until it spread to titles. honestly i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
>>
This one actually sounds good.
>>
>>121865313
What the other two
>>
Dr. Strangelove did it first several decades ago.
>>
File: 1415593332681.png (10 KB, 327x173) Image search: [Google]
1415593332681.png
10 KB, 327x173
>>121864062
>My Imouto Is A Gorilla?!
>>
>>121865371
>Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

This just won best picture.
>>
Damn I'm stupid. I just realized that Japs basically put the synopsis as the title.

That can be effective, if you think about it.
>>
>>121862647
>I'm An English King, But My Adviser Don't Know What's The Difference Between African and European Swallows?!

Isn't this a Monty Python reference?
>>
File: my dick Gundam.gif (1022 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
my dick Gundam.gif
1022 KB, 500x281
>>121865336
Shit yeah, I'd read that.
>>
>>121865298
it's Hamlet, swine
>>
>>121865542
It's Lion King m8
>>
I thought I was Thane of Glamis but I was actually King of Scotland and now my best friend's ghost crashed my party?!
>>
>>121865371
>The History and Remarkable Life of the truly Honourable Col. Jacque, commonly call'd Col. Jack, who was Born a Gentleman, put 'Prentice to a Pick−Pocket, was Six and Twenty Years a Thief, and then Kidnapp'd to Virginia, Came back a Merchant; was Five times married to Four Whores; went into the Wars, behav'd bravely, got Preferment, was made Colonel of a Regiment, came over, and fled with the Chevalier, is still abroad compleating a Life of Wonders, and resolves to dye a General.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Jack
>>
>>121865561
which is based on hamlet...
>>
>>121864779
wow
>>
>>121865638
>dye a general
Sounds risky
>>
>>121865638
>call'd
>Kidnapp'd
>behav'd
this guy is on another level
>>
>I'm a famous Moorish general, but my ensign is driving me mad.
>>
>>121865753
Man he'd have made one hell of a shitposter memelord
>>
>>121865316
wait is it actually 1001 stories?
>>
>>121865336
>one day /k/ assumes some faggot is just trolling them but then some 20th Century Boys shit happens and they have to figure out how to stop his nonsensical death machine with nothing but their wits, operator knowledge and moist nellys they bought off of ebay
Would wait patiently for translations that never come
>>
>My wedding is today, but the count wants to seduce my fiancee so I have to trick him into fixing his loveless marriage!?
>>
It's a fad, but notice that pretty much NONE of the top selling light novels in Japan have a ridiculous name. The best sellers are all simple names for the most part.

m = millions
Japan sales figures only

Slayers 20m
A Certain Magical Index 15m
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen 12m
Record of Lodoss Wars 10m
Fortune Quest 10m
Sword Art Online 10m
Full Metal Panic! 9m
Burning-Eyed Shana 9m
Melanchony of Haruhi Suzumiya 8m
Kino's Journey 7m
The Irregular at Magic High School 5m
Durarara!! 5m
My sister can't be this cute 5m
Toradora! 3m

The really obscenely long titles don't make the cut at the top, it's just a fad among the pile of mediocre range.
>>
>>121865357
Mahouka Koukou and Log Horizon.
>>
My foster brother stole my girlfriends first kiss and is a Vampire and my body was stolen to fight my great-great-grandson by a timestopping ghost?!
>>
File: LNOTY.jpg (88 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
LNOTY.jpg
88 KB, 600x900
It's perfect.
>>
>What the Fuck did you just Fucking Say about Me, you Little Bitch? I’ll Have You Know I Graduated Top of My Class in the Navy Seals
>>
>im crippled but i discovered that this italian man has the power to make my legs move by spinning a steel ball so i get into a race with him to grab all the pieces of the corpse of jesus christ before the president of the united states who is using his ghost servant to clone himself and has a bunch of underlings hired to get rid of me, and dinosaurs!
>>
>>121862159
Surely You Expected A Troll Answer, Did You?!?
>>
>>121866022
holy shit
>>
File: 2hu.png (918 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
2hu.png
918 KB, 600x900
I laughed
>>
>>121866009
>Holds Up Spork, one mans narrative of OMFG I just like XDDXDD peed my pants pssh nothing personal tips kid nice well meme'd black and blue not white and gold a bit too fun posting extravaganza
>>
File: interdimensional laughter.gif (2 MB, 300x162) Image search: [Google]
interdimensional laughter.gif
2 MB, 300x162
>>121862647
>The Year Is 1984, And I Can't Stop Loving My Big Brother!
holy shit my fucking lungs
>>
Why does it matter? Everyone uses the shortened name anyways.
>>
>>121865638
Not even close but
>Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver's_Travels

>The Horrible and Terrifying Deeds and Words of the Very Renowned Pantagruel King of the Dipsodes, Son of the Great Giant Gargantua
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel
>>
>>121865867
Hold up there bucko, I'm counting five novels on that list that have 10 or more kana in the title, one of them being active and in the top three.
>>
>>121865638
>>121866382
>The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates.

Holy shit.
>>
File: 2a462d34[1].jpg (109 KB, 638x556) Image search: [Google]
2a462d34[1].jpg
109 KB, 638x556
>せんせいは何故女子中学生にちんちんをぶちこみ続けるのか -> Why Does the Teacher Keep Driving His Dick into Middle School Girls?

anime when
>>
>>121866452
Oh yeah, this too.
>>
>>121862647
>My Father Is A King And Has Died A Mysterious Death, But It Turns Out That My Uncle Is The Killer?!

oh good olde hamlet

>The Year Is 1984, And I Can't Stop Loving My Big Brother

kek

>No Way!! My Best Friends Just Betrayed And Got Me Thrown To Prison But At Least I Get To Become Really Rich!?

poor edmond
>>
>>121866384
But they aren't especially long, nor are they a sentence,
とある魔術の禁書目録
涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
魔法科高校の劣等生

Those are all perfectly fine titles.
Standard **** of #### format titles.

The only long one is Oreimo,
俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない and it's guilty of starting the fad. And it's at the bottom of the list.

The LONG shit we're talking about is like....
男子高校生で売れっ子ライトノベル作家をしているけれど 年下のクラスメイトで声優の女の子に首を絞められている。

or how about
名門校の女子生徒会長がアブドゥル=アルハザードのネクロノミコンを読んだら
>>
File: 4504195[1].jpg.jpg (13 KB, 230x276) Image search: [Google]
4504195[1].jpg.jpg
13 KB, 230x276
>>121866239
Why bother making a long name then?
>>
>>121866561
Oreimo didn't started, there were long titles before her.
>>
File: BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition[1].jpg (54 KB, 301x452) Image search: [Google]
BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition[1].jpg
54 KB, 301x452
How would this work?
>>
>>121866683
>Her
>>
>>121866683
Yes it did, because it was the first actual HIT.

Fads aren't started by someone who did it first, they are started by someone who got popular first.
Fuck, stop being autistic already.
>>
>>121866726
it. Happy now?
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.