[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rinne no Lagrange
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
So I just finished this. Maybe I'm just desperate for a mecha show past the turn of the century that isn't just dull and meandering and prone to constantly spelling every plot development out loud, or just trashy and dependent on shock value, but I thought this was pretty alright, especially the first half which was really good. Especially its sense of humor which was more funny!funny instead of "I'm laughing because this is terrible" funny.

It starts off in the usual way these things go, high schooler is charged with piloting a giant robot to do something, it even had the stoic Rei clone, but there was something really engaging about Madoka. Enthusiastic and goofy without needing a smarter person to hold their hand through everything. Heroic and galvanized by righteousness, without being trite and obnoxious like some tool of an MC constantly ruminating about morality or lecturing their opponents. Some of the MC worship by the rest of the cast sort of rubbed me the wrong way though.

The Rei clone was also really fun, quickly evolving from generic stoic girl into an insecure and socially awkward teenage girl. In general, with the ancient aliens/mecha subplot it's like if you cast Evangelion with more well-adjusted characters.

I also really loved the sleek car-like contours of the mecha designs.

My biggest issues are with the second half, where the conflict quickly goes up and down, cooling and then flaring up every few episodes, and what the two major factions are fighting for never really carries so much weight in the grand scheme of things that the efforts of everybody involved seems so trivial, then by the time the actual final battle happens there's barely any weight to it.
>>
Ran is best girl.
They are all best lesbians.
>>
>>135583761
The first half was a really solid show. I liked that it was primarily character-focused and handled slice of life and character development really well all while managing to include the sci-fi mecha stuff but not really make it contend for screen time. It was like a slice of life with mecha and it was alright because it made both parts work. Characters were all really likable, too.

The second half was just a mess. It tried to let the serious sci-fi stuff take over and the plot was just weak compared to the character-oriented stuff prior to it.

It's really a shame. If it had ended after the 1st season, it would've been a solid 7/10.
>>
I do not remember this kiss at all.

Anyway, it was fun for what it was. You hit the big issue right on the head which is INTERGALATIC CONFLIC- ah nevermind, we fixe- AW SHIT ITS THE END OF THE ENTIRE KNOWN UNIVERSE AAAAAAAAAAAAA With just a few episodes inbetween.

Cute lesbians though.
>>
Soundtrack was kinda neat.
>>
File: why.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
Why?
>>
I still listen to the OP now and again. Soundtrack in general was really solid.
>>
>>135583761
Ran is amazing, but she alone wasn't enough to save this shit show.
>>
>Commie subs for this show

It was a simpler time. ;.;
>>
>>135583761
I only watched the first cour, it was fun.
>>
>>135585039
>this was the show that broke underwater
Good riddance to bad baldies.
>>
File: 25603684_p11.jpg (706 KB, 400x3400) Image search: [Google]
25603684_p11.jpg
706 KB, 400x3400
>>135583761
One thing I liked was when they started settling the intergalactic UN in the MC's hometown and turned it into a diplomatic center of the galaxy they kept it mostly restrained and didn't go all YAMATO DAMASHII, etc.

>>135584433
>>135584343
I really loved the first opening. The poppy and energetic opening verse where they're talking about "the girl in the jersey" made me think of Cutie Honey.
>>
>>135585388
I never kept up with sub group drama, can you elaborate?
>>
>>135585506
Daiz's sub group lost traction partway through the second cour and put Lagrange on Hiatus, never actually finishing subbing it to this day. They became less active in general after that and slowly circled the toilet bowl into subgroup oblivion.
>>
File: lan strip 2.jpg (174 KB, 1365x767) Image search: [Google]
lan strip 2.jpg
174 KB, 1365x767
Best girl and best underrated minor character.
>>
>>135585633
Is there any subgroup left that does their own translations? Seems like every show is just building off a simulcast rip.
>>
>>135586250
Probably not. Why put in all that work when a simulcast will be out within a half hour of the show airing?

Often times, the simulcast release is out before a decent raw is even encoded and speed is everything when it comes to fansubbing.

Plus part of the point of fansubbing is to provide an option where there is none; to give people access to a medium they would otherwise have no access to. As long as decent official releases are out for free so soon after a show airs, there's really no incentive for fansubbing to compete. Their job is already done for them.

You still see some groups like commie or FFF pick up some shows that otherwise didn't get a simulcast, but there's not many of those anymore, either.
>>
>>135583761
It was nice, really good OST, really can make you laugh time to time. True that the plot was ultimately kinda disapointing, I also expected more from the mecha fight.

Madoka was an alright MC and Lan awkwardness was really fun but Muginami couldn't compete at all with these two.
>>
>>135583761
Everyone hated S2.
>>
File: sachi ova.jpg (211 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sachi ova.jpg
211 KB, 1280x720
>>135585942
>All these cutes in wetsuits that only appear in the OVA

And yes, Sachi a cute.
>>
>>135583761
Yuriko manga had lesbian sex but it was never
full scanned
somebody had the page?
>>
File: wanhand.gif (1 MB, 652x720) Image search: [Google]
wanhand.gif
1 MB, 652x720
>>135586697
>there will never be an episode where Sachi teaches Lan how to swim

So disappointed. Then again, I walked right into this show with zero expectations to begin with.
>>
File: 1451615576693.jpg (2 MB, 4091x5957) Image search: [Google]
1451615576693.jpg
2 MB, 4091x5957
>>135586436
>Madoka was an alright MC and Lan awkwardness was really fun but Muginami couldn't compete at all with these two.

Right, I think they just couldn't figure out what to do with Muginami after using her as a way to humanize the S1 antagonists directly. There's nothing really wrong with a character not going nuts with angst and emotional implosions but I think they really struggled to keep her on par and play her as an equivalent third part of a super-trio next to Madoka and Lan.
>>
File: sachi butt.jpg (100 KB, 500x767) Image search: [Google]
sachi butt.jpg
100 KB, 500x767
>>135586697
Dat ass though.
>>
This show is another proof that making a girl named Madoka a protagonist is a terrible idea.
>>
>>135583761
>>135584075
>The second half was just a mess.
>It's really a shame. If it had ended after the 1st season, it would've been a solid 7/10.
I couldn't agree more.
>>
>>135588967
>hating any Madoka
Shame on you.
>>
>>135588967
Well, I'd say this one was a little more assertive.
>>
>>135583761
Disappointment of the year. It was something that had so many things for great potential but just managed to fall flat somehow
>>
>>135588221
Muginami is that awkward third friend who's not a lesbian but is friends with two lesbians, but they still try their best to include her on things
>>
>kissing with eyes open
why tho
>>
>>135591877
So you can see into each other's eyes.
>>
>My biggest issues are with the second half, where the conflict quickly goes up and down, cooling and then flaring up every few episodes, and what the two major factions are fighting for never really carries so much weight in the grand scheme of things that the efforts of everybody involved seems so trivial, then by the time the actual final battle happens there's barely any weight to it.

Second half ruined the entire series for me. I pretty much agree with you whole-heartedly.

I blame myself for having high expectations though. I wanted a story of girls and mechs that was at least close to Diebuster. I should have known that I wasn't going to get that or anything close to it. At least it wasn't like Sorekake Girl.
>>
Daiz, I'm still waiting
>>
>>135591922
You can't see anything if your face is that close.
>>
>>135592187
Not if you got huge Chinese cartoon eyes.
>>
>>135592219
Hm, you raise a good point.
>>
>>135588967
>>135590253
Maybe it was just too maru for you.
>>
>>135586386
>>135585633
Does GJM Mezashite or Vivid count ?
>>
>>135583761
>where the conflict quickly goes up and down, cooling and then flaring up every few episodes

I agree, and one thing I really hated was how Lan's brother was the antagonist, was redeemed, and then he was the antagonist again. What the fuck? I know he was being influenced or some shit the second time around but that was retarded. Completely ruined his character which had potential.

I still liked the show overall, though. Madoka is one of my favorite protagonists.
>>
>>135595786
Not to mention the actual bad guy was quietly shuffled off to the background and they literally forgot to deal with him but luckily the magic world took care of that.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.