[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: YYK_protagonists.jpg (34 KB, 478x485) Image search: [Google]
YYK_protagonists.jpg
34 KB, 478x485
Can someone explain why this series ended on such a low note? The last arc was just disappointing and rushed.
>>
Because Togashi wanted to end it much earlier and Jump wouldn't let him. It's the curse of long run series, mangaka may want to end it at a certain point but you are under contract, they won't let their cash cows go.

It's why Sensui had that crazy gay death, Itsuki was essntially Togashi's mouth piece.
>>
The last 133 episodes were disappointing. The show becomes shit as soon as he gets his body back.
>>
> I don't know if anyone will understand, but when I was stressed because I wasn't satisfied with my manga, the only way for me to relieve this stress was to draw all my manga by myself.
> As a result, those chapters ended up horrible. Both the characters and the backgrounds were messy. The one shot Two Shots, Karasu vs. Kurama, Yusuke vs. Sensui, the scene where Yusuke meets Raizen, I drew most of those alone. The latter two were finished in half a day before my deadline, as a reader guessed and criticized in a letter. This might mean I fail as a professional, but I was satisfied. I had already started to think that no matter what anyone says, no matter how messy the finished pages are, I just wanted to draw this by myself, and I had no reason not to go through with it.

> It saddens me to say this, but I had explored every possible direction for the YYH characters that I could in the context of a professional publication. All I could do at this point was to start deconstructing the characters, or go on repeating the same storylines over and over until the readers got bored. My attempts to deconstruct the characters were, of course, turned down by Jump. I didn't have the strength, physically and mentally, to keep doing the same thing over and over.
> So I went ahead and did what I had always wanted to do: "If I ever manage to have a long serialization in Jump, I will end it on my own terms." I knew that Jump dropped a manga after 10 weeks if the readers' surveys proved it to be unpopular, and I knew this when I started working for them. This system proved encouraging for me, and I learned a lot by being aware of readers reactions. But I ended up wanting to draw manga for myself, without thinking about anyone's reactions. I don't believe that anything I came up with on this premise will live up to Jump's standards, so I will not try.
> In conclusion: I ended YYH because of my own selfishness. I'm sorry
>>
>protagonist doesn't overcome the odds as always and ends up finishing on the third round of a tournament

I don't know, OP. It's a pretty based ending. I like it.
>>
>>135444107
The anime honestly did what it could to flesh out the really terrible final arcs of the manga.
>>
>>135447247
The ending was great, even if it felt more like a gigantic epilogue than an actual climax. I do really like how Yusuke didn't have to win in traditional shounen style, and existential monologue he had during his fight was absolutely brilliant.
>>
>>135447668
this. Especially in the final arc Togashi rushes and leaves out a lot of stuff. The anime had to fill in the blanks and this happened in the earlier arcs to lesser degrees
>>
>>135447903
I'm also glad the anime cut out the entire Spirit World shenanigans. The shit was way too dragged out and the anime managed to summarize the same outcome in just a few lines.
>>
>>135445309

It's a real shame Togashi has struggled with work ethic and professionalism with the ending of Yu Yu Hakusho and throughout HunterxHunter. He's a skilled artist and is really good at building worlds for his manga, but I guess his lack of planning/care to wrap up or push through certain writer's blocks really hampers his pieces from feeling like complete works, and almost diminishes his legacy. He could have been considered one of the greats, but may forever be resented to an extent for a rushed Yu Yu Hakusho ending, some poorly drawn work that should never have been published, as well as HiatusxHiatus.
>>
>>135444107
hey you remember that tournament arc well this ones in the demon world brilliant
>>
>Demons dindu nothin'
>It was the evil spirit world the whole time
>>
File: toguro100percent.png (400 KB, 657x467) Image search: [Google]
toguro100percent.png
400 KB, 657x467
>>135447961
Ehh I'll still remember him for both works being such great examples of its kind (specifically, the fighting shounen type). Hell Toguro is still one of my most favorite shounen villains to date.
>>
>>135448018
This shit annoyed me, so glad that the anime glossed over it and simply had the new demon/youkai king declare the new law where demons aren't allowed to hunt/eat humans.
>>
>>135448125
How does what you stated not annoy you even more? Unless I missed something humans were crucial for survival, yeah Raizen lived for a dick long time without eating but still died. Am I expected to believe every single demon just stopped eating and slowly waited to die?
>>
I dropped the last arc because Kuwabara was not involved plus it was garbage.
>>
>>135448318
Don't think they ever said that humans were vital to their diet and there was a huge implication that they could actually eat other things. Humans were just the most popular flavor so it ends up being more of a moralistic choice on the part of the demons (though correct me if I'm wrong). Raizen went all the way and fucking starved himself to death though.
>>
>>135448318
The ones that still ate humans were dealt with the combined forces of the Reikai Tantei and their powerful allies from the Enki administration.
>>
>>135448442
Last arc was only good if you wanted:
> Hiei backstory
> Kurama closure
> Yusuke closure

The ending itself was great but the rest felt like fluff that essentially amounts to a very comfy final arc.
>>
File: 10.jpg (206 KB, 691x995) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
206 KB, 691x995
>>135448081
Would you a slutty female demon?
>>
>>135448081
>le not my final form muscleman
>favorite shounen villain
>>
>>135448610
>schoolgirl Toguro
That was great.

As an aside, I actually wonder if Togashi ever had homosexual inclinations given some of his writing and preferences for certain characters. Heck the entirety of Sensui's character felt like a figurative cry of a gay man in a shitty world, and then there's the fact that Itsuki was his most favorite character in the series.
>>
>>135448575
Don't get me wrong I like all the characters I just skipped the fighting episodes.
>>
>>135444184
I liked yusuke vs sensui fight though.
>>
>>135448680
>le maymay shounen cliches

Hey at least Toguro fully took on the notion in the most unapologetic way. The fact that there was nothing pretty about it and spoke more of the deterioration of his humanity actually drove the point home of how shitty his point of view was.
>>
File: Koto_1.png (270 KB, 639x475) Image search: [Google]
Koto_1.png
270 KB, 639x475
>>135448610
Koto is best demon girl
>>
>>135448680
Sure, at a shallow level, but his personality and his actions are what made him interesting
>>
One of the best moments right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeiOLPyd1A
>>
>>135448879
>Hey at least Toguro fully took on the notion in the most unapologetic way.
>he's cliche, which makes him great

>>135449201
>personality
>I want to be stronger
>>
>>135449575
>anon
>Im a dumb bitch
>>
>>135447961
Eh I would say he's considered one of the greats already, even though he has a bad reputation. He's a Jump veteran with two hit series, YYH is a classic for it's time and HxH is a top seller as well as acknowledged for it's writing.

The periods of shitty art are really unfortunate though, people don't seem to know the difference between a lazy artist and a technically poor one so I don't know if he can recover from that.
>>
>>135449575
>"I want to be stronger"
>that failure to read a character

Are you seriously this dense?

While Toguro originally wanted to be stronger, it was for the sake of never being the weak person he was until this consumed his entire being to the point of driving away everyone he ever loved. He turned into a sadistic monster but realized how fucked up it was so he wanted to be proven wrong in his ideals by someone with as much virtue and similarities to himself to set himself and said person on the right path (enter Yusuke).

His entire character revolved around selfishly bringing punishment upon himself all while wanting to be proven about "muh stronk".

More or less, it sounds like the problem here is that you didn't get shit about him at all especially for such simple character.
>>
File: daisy dukes.png (307 KB, 845x966) Image search: [Google]
daisy dukes.png
307 KB, 845x966
>>135448610
D...Do these shorts give me a camel toe, anon?
>>
>>135448729
There is a possibility. Not ruling out bisexual, though.
>>
>>135450663
Oh definitely, by homosexual I mean just the general tendencies but yeah him being somewhat bi is still a possibility.
>>
File: Yu.Yu.Hakusho.full.1735402.jpg (388 KB, 600x2000) Image search: [Google]
Yu.Yu.Hakusho.full.1735402.jpg
388 KB, 600x2000
Kurama is best
>>
File: hisaska.png (201 KB, 601x402) Image search: [Google]
hisaska.png
201 KB, 601x402
>>135450732
Yep, he seems like an interesting guy, and more than a little eccentric.
>>
File: 382354.jpg (24 KB, 449x666) Image search: [Google]
382354.jpg
24 KB, 449x666
>>135448610
>Kurama
Why is it that Togashi's best boys are also the best girls?
>>
>>135448900
This is a wise anon.
>>
File: os8w40[1].jpg (47 KB, 633x477) Image search: [Google]
os8w40[1].jpg
47 KB, 633x477
>>135448900
Wrong.
>>
>>135451683
>>135448900

>The manga basically had demons slowly introducing themselves to the human world
>Dudes were probably jumping to get with demon girls like Juri and Koto
>>
>>135452545
In the manga most of Yusuke's "detective" work after returning to human world is procuring their autographs
>>
>>135449726
>>135450074
>reading too deep into a one-note villain

kek

>While Toguro originally wanted to be stronger, it was for the sake of never being the weak person he was until this consumed his entire being to the point of driving away everyone he ever loved.

Oh, we've never seen that before.

Or maybe you haven't. Watch more anime.
>>
>>135452895
its ok to be stupid but you dont need to announce it to everyone anon
>>
>>135453302
>if you can't rebut, call the other person names, that will show him
>>
>>135450074
>While Toguro originally wanted to be stronger, it was for the sake of never being the weak person he was until this consumed his entire being to the point of driving away everyone he ever loved. He turned into a sadistic monster but realized how fucked up it was so he wanted to be proven wrong in his ideals by someone with as much virtue and similarities to himself to set himself and said person on the right path (enter Yusuke).

Literally an anime cliche.

Did you honestly think this was new?
>>
>>135453345
you didnt give an argument are you too stupid to even know how to have a discussion either
>>
File: only 80 percent laughing at you.jpg (93 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
only 80 percent laughing at you.jpg
93 KB, 1280x960
>>135452895
>implying 2deep4me fanwank
The work spells it out for you senpai, or were you too dumb to not notice what's literally in front of you? Also

>one-note
Stop using descriptors that you clearly don't know the meaning of.

>>135453387
Except no one said it was new nor even implied it. The fact that it even had to be spelled out for you just so you finally process it and reply with "muh cliches" speaks volumes of your willful ignorance.
>>
>>135449260
Yeah. I still think the original voice actors were slightly better.
https://youtu.be/NgYN2pJLOKs?t=16m42s
>>
I seriously laughed out loud at the ending. I can see how it could work but it was so casually glossed over and rushed, especially Raizen's friends and their impact.
>>
>>135454860
It was even worse in the manga, felt like a bunch of chapters were missing in certain parts because of the amount of stuff it skips.
>>
BTW, this is the best moment in the show.
https://youtu.be/C_XwtQQ3Mw0?t=12m20s

english for comparison
https://youtu.be/iCs32G1GDxY?t=13m25s
>>
>>135455149
Yusuke's "death" at the hands of Sensui was great, but I kinda wish that Shinobu didn't get such a huge powerup since the initial idea behind his Minoru personality was more about technique rather than raw strength/firepower.
>>
File: Jorge_Saotome.jpg (110 KB, 1140x870) Image search: [Google]
Jorge_Saotome.jpg
110 KB, 1140x870
>yfw he actually a filler character.
>>
Last arch was god tier. Literally expanded the demon world beyond a few that would otherwise be known as the strongest. It showed the infinite, and expansive wilderness that they all live in. Some no nothing wanderer demon nomad that looks like a "regular joe" has more power in his little finger than some prissy faggot in a dark castle who reigns over the kingdom.

Sorry, but if you hated the final arch, you have objective shit tastes.
>>
>>135455932
What the fuck is an arch?
>>
>>135455956
arc you stupid faggot.
>>
>>135455932
There were good things about the last arc but that doesn't make up for how half-assed and rushed everything was. Also you completely missed the point of the ending if you think the "regular joe" was significantly stronger than the kings.
>>
>>135455932
Casually introducing a large group of characters as strong or nearly as strong as the strongest characters in the series at the very last minute and then having them have such a massive impact isn't phenomenal writing or "god tier".

These guys arrive from absolutely nowhere with no prior introduction or reference at Raizen's grave, say they're "old friends" though they're a little "rusty" and enter the tournament, utterly dominating it. Almost no characterization and little to nothing explained.

It's laughable.
>>
>Dark Tournament
>It turns out Toguro just wanted to be defeated by someone strong

>Chapter Black
>It turns out Sensui just wanted to be defeated by someone strong

BRAVO TOGASHI
>>
>>135456052
I don't think that's nearly as bad as all the Dark Tournament Demons reaching S Class after being trained by Genkai. Rinku should not be a million times stronger than Toguro.
>>
>>135456209

I thought the introduction of the classes hurt the show because it made some of what happened in the first two seasons seem really dumb.
>>
>>135456279
yeah I never really got why a group called the saint beasts was so weak in the grand scheme, what makes them so special and how can their leader be so ambitious when hes so fucking weak
>>
So I stopped watching shortly after the Dark Tournament Arc

Was it worth watching past this?

I was pretty disappointed when Genkai was shown to be alive. She should have stayed dead. Would have made the story that much better,
>>
>>135456063
To be fair, the bit with Sensui wanting someone strong to defeat him was more of an additional quirk in the anime, if I recall correctly. The point of Sensui's ending was more to do with him being terminally ill, and how he wanted to open the gate to demon world so he could die in the same place where the creatures he punished as Spirit Detective originally hailed from. Being judged by a powerful demonic being was just icing on the cake.
>>
>>135456344
Genkai being alive was kind of part of Toguro's well intended dickery to Yusuke though. I'd suggest at least checking out Chapter Black since it's actually pretty fun, but the way it quickly leads into the final arc by the end doesn't exactly give the best sense of closure and essentially forces you to keep going till the end.
>>
>>135454684
>kurama sounds like a babby
why do they do this shit?
>>
File: 1399872722461.png (55 KB, 165x181) Image search: [Google]
1399872722461.png
55 KB, 165x181
>>135455789
>yfw he was the narrator
>>
File: he was fucking tired already.jpg (37 KB, 578x205) Image search: [Google]
he was fucking tired already.jpg
37 KB, 578x205
>>135456063
>>
FUCKING KEKE

how the hell this trash can be compare to tokyo /co/mblr?
>>
File: 11haruka.jpg (21 KB, 173x212) Image search: [Google]
11haruka.jpg
21 KB, 173x212
>>135457016
>>
>>135456519
You may nitpick how he sounds, but the voice actor actually performed better. The english voice actor, though sounding great, was more robotic.

And outside of the 4 main characters, the english cast was pretty terrible. Just compare genkai, botan, and Koenma to the japanese version.
>>
>>135457124
I loved Botan's voice for the english dub, hearing her say Bingo! made my penis twitch when i was younger.
>>
>>135457124
>but the voice actor actually performed better.

Says the anon who knows zero japanese.
>>
>>135457853
But I do know japanese. Nice of you to assume that I don't though.

Notice how I didn't bring up Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Hiei and Kurama as having bad performances in english. I think they're interchangeable and can be argued whichever way (though I do think jpn Kurama was slightly better). The side characters though? Not a chance. The Japanese voice actors were clearly better.

Just compare the side characters in this scene. From the faggot who is in love with Sensui to Genkai.
>>135455149
>>
>>135456344
I think it's worth finishing as long as you realize it isn't nearly as good as the dark tournament.
>>
>>135444807
Mother fucked I will fight you dark tournament was fantastic
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.