[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can somebody explain why Toriyama went for Goku and Chi-Chi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: goku.png (157 KB, 611x464) Image search: [Google]
goku.png
157 KB, 611x464
Can somebody explain why Toriyama went for Goku and Chi-Chi?

It makes far more sense than Goku and Bulma, who don't have any chemistry at all.
>>
He explains that he hated her character, so he made himself draw Chi Chi by making her Goku's wife.
>>
>>135419137
Citation needed
>>
>>135419208

Seriously newfags, need to spoonfeed the lot of you. Took two seconds on google

>Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)
>http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/son-goku-densetsu-toriyama-x-nakatsuru/
>>
>>135419239
The absolute madman
>>
>>135419137
isn't that kind of the point though? she's a selfish entitled bitch, you're suppose to hate her I thought
>>
>>135419239
Kinda weird though, since the idea of her marrying Goku was planted in her head when they were still kids.
>>
>>135419280
You're supposed to hate Goku, Toriyama doesn't like him being viewed as a hero.
>>
File: 018.png (241 KB, 1023x1500) Image search: [Google]
018.png
241 KB, 1023x1500
>>135419280

Considering how horrible Goku is at being a father, I suppose that's the only sort of character that would be able to support a relationship with Goku.
>>
>>135419297
More of a gag back then.
>>
>>135419325
>I'm gonna leave you guys again after the world is finally at peace to go train dis nigga.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h43m40s449.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-11-25-18h43m40s449.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>135419325
im having trouble understanding the comic.

>Goku is a horrible father
this.
basically if Goku isnt training/fighting with his sons, he ignores the mortal fuck out of them.

>"well now that i know instant transmission i could just go home right this moment to my wife and son who thought i was dead, but i think i'd rather hang out with these wierd little aliens for months on end while my wife continues to support a household and pay bills all on her own. however when i do get there ill be sure to train everyday in lieu of getting a job because a stranger "from the future" said i should. not to worry though ill hang out with chi-chi just long enough to knock her up"
>>
>>135419297

Some kid making a marriage promise doesn't exactly mean things are set in stone.

On a side note chichi is what you get when you get a girl that would actually track someone down to follow through with such a promise many years later.
>>
>>135419435

The thing I never understood was why he needed the space pod to get back to Earth... he could just IT at any point...
>>
>>135419502
it's because toriyama is not a good writer and dbz should not really be taken seriously on any level

it's a fun show but it has basically zero logic
>>
>>135419502
to be fair, IT requires you to lock onto someone's energy, and likely earth was too far away for him to sense anything.
>>
>>135419560
I was going to say this to defend him too but then again he teleported to king kais planet from earth.
>>
>>135419577
Kaio's planet is nearer than outer space.
>>
>>135419435
I love how you people put your headcanon into shit it's funny
>>
I don't understand why Chichi become a turbobitch. She knew from day one that goku was a simple minded battlefreak manchild, so its not like it came out of nowhere that he would rather train and travel the world/underworld/IN SPACE than to spend time with friends and family, and she even liked that side of him when they decided to marry, she herself being a fighter as well.

Cue to DBZ and everything we knew about kid Chichi and teenager Chichi was undone and she was replaced by a bitch who only shared the same name and that's where the similarities died.

So I would say its less about Goku marrying Chichi and more about Chichi being character assassinated and replaced by a look alike.
>>
>>135419671
>nearer than outer space
It's in an entirely different dimension.
>>
File: 1451249106206.png (53 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451249106206.png
53 KB, 1000x1000
>>135419560
>and likely earth was too far away for him to sense anything.
Makes sense, but later in the series he could easily IT from Kai's planet to Earth and back. He even does this to kill Cell, but later on never does this again. He could just be wished back to life, spend most of his time alive with Kai trainan and shit and drop by once a week or something to say hi to his family. That's what a decent father does. Even if you believe his "If I stay here more people will attack" bullshit, what's stopping him from dropping by for an hour or so to support his own fucking children?

Even Vegeta manages this, and he's even more buttmad about training than Goku is. Then again, he also has the better wife. If I was married to Chi Chi, I'd also prefer being dead.

Speaking of Chi Chi, how the fuck did she spend millions of zeni in a few months without anything to show for it? Is the exchange rate for zeni to dollars 100k : 1 or something?
>>
>>135419839
Some bullshit about having a child and only wanting what's best for him. Even if that meant being a total hard ass about studying gayblades.
Though she let goten get away with shit.
>>
>>135419098
not this thread again, WE GET IT, you are into /ss/, can you please move on?
>>
File: wanna ss.jpg (37 KB, 322x363) Image search: [Google]
wanna ss.jpg
37 KB, 322x363
>>135421225
>He thinks there's such a thing as too much /ss/
>>
>>135421225
Uh, did you read the OP?
>>
>>135420450
Zeni is equal to Yen.
>>
>>135421420
Then how could she spend that much money with nothing to show for it? Chi chi really needs to die and never get wished back.

Hell, Freeza would literally make a better wife than Chi Chi.
>>
>>135419497
But did Goku ever love her?
>>
>>135419098
Read the fucking manga and learn english.
>>135419325
/thread.
>>
>>135419325
>>135423780
This is an explanation but not a justification. Chi Chi simply isn't a fun character, she's annoying and only serves the plot in as far as she is annoying. I guess she was Flanderized to the point where being annoying became her only recognizeable trait rather than a minor character quirk.
>>
File: Goten.png (174 KB, 498x965) Image search: [Google]
Goten.png
174 KB, 498x965
Reminder Goten is better than Gohan and has more potential

>Achieved super like it was childs play

>leagues ahead of Gohan a that age

>Also has knowledge of how to achieve ssj3 due to fusion and if trained in time chamber for 2 days im sure could achieve by himself

also don't forget

>actually enjoys fighting and training

Goku should focus on his real son and not the disgrace
>>
>>135419098
age diffrence probably
japan was not ready for /ss/
>>
>>135423977
Justification? Justification for what? They gave reasons and that's all. DBZ is about fighting not romance.
>>
>>135424073
I doubt Toriyama gives a solid shit about Goten. Which is a shame because he's my favorite character.
>>
>>135424073
Nah, he's just "that kid who fuses with Trunks sometimes before they both job to the bad guy"
>>
File: Trunks_and_Goten_SS[1].png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Trunks_and_Goten_SS[1].png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>135424073
Goten and Trunks feel a bit superfluous to me, both in late DBZ and in Super. It feels like Toriyama has no idea what to do with these characters.

All of what I'm going to write from here on is pure speculation so bear with me. I feel like the only reason why Goten and Trunks were able to achieve the legendary Super Saiyan form like it's childs play is because Toriyama didn't want them to become as irrelevant as Yamcha in a series where power scales are fucking ridiculous. I also have the idea that fusing into Gotenks and achieven SSJ3 form was meant to make them the big new opponent for Buu, to essentially ensure that Goku carries over the torch to them and to Gohan. This didn't happen (I'm going to guess because either Toriyama changed his mind or because of editorial mandate) and Goku and Vegeta ended up saving the day.

Now Goten and Trunks are... just there. They can go Super Saiyan, they can fuse, their fusion can go SSJ3 but what have they ever actually done? They're background characters now, doomed to join Goku and Vegeta's ever expanding cheerleader squad.

>>135424175
I'm okay with him as a character, same with kid Trunks. I can't stand Goten's Nipponese voice though.
>>
>>135424385
>It feels like Toriyama has no idea what to do with these characters.
I thought during Buu Saga they returned that quirky Dragon Ball humor that was absent throughout Dragon Ball Z.
>>
>>135424500
That doens't change a lot though, they still feel like they have no real purpose.

Purely theoretically, this could've worked if the torch really was passed on to them and Gohan. You'd have the quirky adventures of a total dork and two hyperactive kids.
>>
>>135424576
>You'd have the quirky adventures of a total dork and two hyperactive kids.
No one wants to see shit focused on that. It's more fun when two hyperactive kids do some quirky shit while 5 millions years old pink blob threatens to eat the world.
>>
>>135419839
She's really not quite as bad in Nip its DBZ, so of course you're talking about the dub
>>
>>135424385
They basically fall in to the same problem everyone in DB does: They're not Goku so they can't do anything with lasting impact.

Come to think of it, the whole story would be better if they stopped throwing bigger, badder villains at everything and let everyone else have a good fight they can actually win every now and then instead of this "higher power beats lower power in 2 seconds flat unless they want to play with each other."
>>
>>135424744
Toriyama should just stop making humans fucking jobbers.

Piccolo should be equal to Vegeta.
>>
>>135424838
right now vegeta is equally or more powerful than goku
>>
>>135424940
Vegeta can go fuck himself
>>
>>135419098
Bulma is a massive slut, Goku is too pure for her.
>>
Toriyama dug his own grave the moment Super Saiyan become a thing instead of being a boogieman legend for baby frost demons. Even despite all the bullshit power ups Goku got up to the saiyan saga, he was still powerful but not so ridiculously OP that the others would only dream to be like him. Enter Super saiyan, which wasn't even a legendary thing, ANY saiyan can go supersaiyan, and then non saiyans got forever doomed to be cheerleaders that at best buy time until goku returns/recovers/revives/finishes training.

And now with god super saiyan, even non Goku and non Vegeta saiyans are lagging behind because they didn't acquire the latest in super saiyan technology
>>
>>135425059
I think fans dug their own graves by caring about any characters besides Goku and Vegeta.
>>
>>135425246
super saiyan also ruined vegeta's character
were before he was smart and cunning he then just became a grumpier goku.
>>
>>135425246
You're not wrong.
>>
>>135425301
I am surprised anyone cares about Vegeta after Cell saga. It was just Toriyama pooping on him.
>>
>>135419827
Does Toriyama ever expain how Goku or Chichi make a living? Does being a hero make mad bank?
>>
>>135425319
>how Goku or Chichi make a living?
they are farmers
>>
>>135425352
also doesn't goku have prize money + wasn't the ox king loaded?
>>
>>135425389
yeah also I think mr,satan would give them money anytime they asked.
>>
Why are you people concerned about Goku's wallet if Gohan is married to Videl?
>>
>farmers
I guess it makes sense. I would have loved to see Goku try to impart himself a par-time gig.
>>
>>135425319
Farming most probably. Other than that :

>savings from fighting tournament prizes
>Mr.Satan's money via Videl
>Bulma dropping by and giving them capsule corp stuff/food
>Gohan taking part time jobs
>etc

Also important to remember that Goku is basically god among humans. He can pick up a giant ship full of containers and deliver it instantly in any location in the observable universe. He can demand a premium price for such services.
>>
>>135424385
They have the fusion and were relevant in the Buu arc. Other than that they have sol episodes.
>>
>>135425502
>He can pick up a giant ship full of containers and deliver it instantly in any location in the observable universe. He can demand a premium price for such services.

I'll give you the shunkanido, but everything comes in capsules so the weight and size ain't a big deal.
>>
>>135424385
They're the kids. They fill in the same shoes young Goku did, where appearances are deceiving. That's all. They do their job in the bits that aren't the big arc fights.

Also, they were able to go SSJ because it was a funny joke. I doubt there was a lot more thought put into it than that.
>>
>>135425502
>Also important to remember that Goku is basically god among humans. He can pick up a giant ship full of containers and deliver it instantly in any location in the observable universe. He can demand a premium price for such services.
Gohan taught him better than that.
>>
>>135425319
If ChiChi was smart she would force Goku to participate and win tournaments for the cash money.
>>
>>135425866
She did force Gohan. Also, she started shipping Gohan with Videl after she learnt she is filthy rich.
>>
>>135425319
>Does being a hero make mad bank?
Yes for Mr. Satan.
>>
>>135424972
You're the reason why Gohan was made into a pussy.
>>
>>135425916
I mean before Goku decided to fuck off and train, ChiChi was always on him for getting a job seems like Golu fighting in tourneys would have been a great decision for everybody involved ChiChi gets money. Goku would have an excuse to train and fight, Gohan would get money for education and all the nonsensical arguments over it would never happen. Plus Goku would never get bored because you just know Vegeta would join too so they could fight.
>>
>>135426191
There's only the one tournament in the entire planet.
>>
>>135426009
Gohan is lame though.

I don't see the appeal of him other than retard edge fics and Legacies that keeps him as Goku with more than 5 functioning brain cells but as a generic harem MC.
>>
>>135426340
and? Mr.Satan is probably the second richest person on the planet because he "wins" tournaments. Plus ChiChi could become Goku's manager she's certainly pushy and scary enough to get what she wants and capitalize on the success
>>
>>135419839
Because parody.

Toriyama like many shounen mangaka doesn't really feel comfortable writing romance. Japanese cultural thing or something.

Anyway, they usually fall back into cliche and parody. Chichi as a character pretty much serves as a parody of the overbearing wife who constantly pushes her son to study more.

It's a joke.

In the manga it is prominent only during the Saiyan and Frieza arcs. She's mellowing out mid-Cell Saga and she's way more issue going during the Buu Saga.

Problem is, the anime makes her even worse and it is especially annoying in Super.
>>
>>135427544
>issue going
How the hell?
Should be easygoing.
>>
>>135424972
Suck a dick
>>
>>135427806
Like Vegeta constantly sucks Kakarot's monkey wiener?
>>
>>135427544

I really hate how Chichi's sole reason to exist was to birth goku's sons and once her duty was over, the only thing left for her was to be part of le epic chichi got mad with goku again XDXDXD jokes.

I don't even want her to be relevant, she could fade away like many other tertiary characters. I just want her to do something other than being a living one note joke.
>>
>>135419239
>and, sort of as a way of spiting myself,
I'm not sure if this is good behavior or bad, it challenges his limits but I feel that sort of thinking could be behind a lot of the problems with DBZ as much as the great moments.
Has he just been sitting there at times wondering how he can ruin his enjoyment of the story or a character he's writing?
>Inb4 it's his story he can do what he wants
He can, but that doesn't excuse him. Things as blunt and meaningless as kill your darlings or some such aren't really informative ways to write. They can become quite dull even.

Nothing can be done about it now I guess.
>>
>>135425318
The cell saga was when Vegeta was at his absolute worst.

He was at his best during his fight against Goku at the end of the saiyan arc
>>
File: 1441094515214.gif (2 MB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
1441094515214.gif
2 MB, 150x113
This thread.

again

and again

and AGAIN

EVERY

WEEK.
>>
>>135429963
>That gif

How is that supposed to be a cartoon for children?
>>
>>135430726

Children weren't made of glass back in the good ol's days, you should see the one of donald becoming an electric monster.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.