[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outlaw Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: outlaw star.jpg (141 KB, 800x617) Image search: [Google]
outlaw star.jpg
141 KB, 800x617
So what did you guys think of Outlaw Star? Is it any good or are my nostalgia goggles a bit thick when I watch it?
>>
>>134855131
I tried watching it and got I think 12 episodes in before I dropped it? It wasn't BAD or anything, it just... didn't seem to be doing very much and the character interactions weren't particularly interesting to me.

I really don't care for the shipgirl or the ninja lady, and while the catgirl is 10/10 made for lewds that can't carry the show.

I thought it was too bad that 'Hot Ice' Hilda dies in episode 1, I feel like she was a better character than half the main cast put together.

I think it's certainly alright, but I think the nostalgia is strong with this one.
>>
File: best episode.jpg (954 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
best episode.jpg
954 KB, 1440x1080
>>134855131
Just finished watching the BD rips a couple weeks ago. It's just fucking amazing. The chemistry and comedy between the characters is just so well-written and Gene is exceedingly good at pulling off the tough guy character even though he does get on the butt end of jokes.

The animation gets a bit iffy at times due to budget issues (looking at you Cactus episode) but all in all it's a very solid series with fantastic animation in certain scenes. Also helps if you enjoy the type of tropes it employs..
>>
>>134855131
It's pretty cool and one of he best of it's type since we don't get that much space opera. For me the biggest flaw is that the side characters were really underutilized.

Specially Suzuka, most times she wasn't even around and in the rare cases she joined the crew she still would do her own thing in the background for most part. There was next to zero build up to her last fight that was supposedly a big part of her journey.

On another note ClanClan a best and that ep with James and the loli is heartbreaking.
>>
File: outlawstar20.webm (3 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
outlawstar20.webm
3 MB, 720x540
>>134855665
>>
>>134855131

Aisha is the best part of the show and that episode where James loses is prospective girlfriend was pretty damn sad. The ending was unsatisfying and left me just wanting more adventures.
>>
File: a boy has the right.jpg (99 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
a boy has the right.jpg
99 KB, 960x720
>>134855131
Gene is probably one of the best male MCs ever written. He is human, relatable and has gotten laid plenty of times. He starts off hating space but eventually grows as a character, gathers a crew (not a harem) and goes on zany adventures.What more could anyone want from an MC?
>>
>>134855131
I can honestly say that it is my favorite show, anime or otherwise, of all time.
>>
>>134855832
Fuck yeah.

I like how he doesn't give out too much of the "nothing personnel kid" vibe that these type of characters fall prey to so often as he jokes around and does stupid shit with the rest of the crew cementing that despite being a badass, he's still fallible.
>>
File: Outlaw-star-jim-girls-and-cats.jpg (87 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Outlaw-star-jim-girls-and-cats.jpg
87 KB, 720x540
>>134855131
I hate with passion. /a/ likes to bash SAO for Sachi's death, but it was nothing compared to that. Some episodes were quite good, though. Especially onsen ones.
>>
>>134855814
In their defense it wasn't supposed to end there. They planned more, but it wasn't successful enough at the time so all the projects were dropped. Except that one slightly related show set in the same universe. Too bad, because I'd be down for a sequel or even a prequel with Hilda past.
>>
>>134855996
Its one of those shows, like Deadman Wonderland, that do really fucking well in the US and poorly in Japan.
>>
dat episode where jim unknowingly kills hanmyo

rewatching the bd rips a couple years after first watching the series made me realize that this show is so much better then i thought

the art is amazing, i was blown away by the 1080p bluray release
>>
>>134855995
/a/ hates SAO because it is shit-tier harem garbage. Outlaw star is totally different. It's like a more fun and less pretentious version of Cowboy Bepop.
>>
>>134855832
If i ever had an anime man crush it would be him. Dynamic as fuck. When compared to any more well known MC he seems a lot more real. Like you know how this dude lived. Blows Spike from beepboop out of the water.
>>
>>134855131
solid show, i rewatch it atleast once a year. Avoid the show that takes place in the same universe like the plague. I think it was called Angel Links.
>>
>>134855449
Your analysis of the characters is spot on, although I did like shipgirl. Still, I really liked the show regardless for some reason.
>>
File: tumblr_nt74wkjOBJ1rhiy2go1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt74wkjOBJ1rhiy2go1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x375
also, i really like the idea of caster shells and casters. Any other shows with modernized magic like this?

On another note, that last episode is a complete mindfuck
>>
What is the nip dub like? OS has been one of the select few shows i watch in eng.

>>134856081
I re watched the series 6 months before that release. Pissed. Still, bout time for a rewatch. The art really is pretty nice.
>>
>>134855131
It's fun at times, but supremely stupid.
>>
>>134855449
i agree, i wasnt into the shiplady but i thought the samurai lady was an interesting character. Loved her personality
>>
That episode were Gene has to cross-dress in order to win the title of strongest female is one of my favorites. Shit is just so silly, same with the one where they all work on related jobs and bounties without knowing and the onsen quest placed really close to the finale.
>>
>>134856268
you really should download the bd release and watch it on a good monitor. I swear it has the best space art of 90s anime (if someone can prove me wrong i wanna watch it im a sucker for space)

it boggles my mind how they managed to do the whole show all analogue.
>>
File: right to dream.gif (493 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
right to dream.gif
493 KB, 500x329
a boy has the right to dream...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6_Bw45Xn0
>>
>>134856313
yeah i liked the onsen quest too. Those laid back episodes fit the characters / world just as well as the action episodes.

s2when
>>
>>134856130
Note how I didn't mention any reasons why /a/ hates SAO. I understand these reasons full well, better than you do, judging by your reply.

I just wanted to note how Outlaw Star never gets the same kind of beating for an aspect of its writing which gets heavily criticized in newer shows.
>>
>>134856130
Bebop had plenty of fun crazy episodes too. Cowboy Funk, Mushroom Samba and fucking Toys In The Attic.

Fuck, we need more shows with adventures in space. Hopefully the new Star Wars set the nips in a new space craze.
>>
>>134856541
mostly because /a/ is full of younger audiences that wont watch anything that old and us olde fags view all this stuff with our nostalgia goggles on.
>>
>>134856268
It's really solid all around. Everyone is pretty good and cat Asuka always put a smile on my face.
>>
>>134855131
poor mans bebop.
Angel links was worse though
>>
>>134856587
ha i hope so. Space dandy was kinda on the right track, though i liked that show for other reasons. Both outlaw star and space dandy have amazing art, which i really enjoy
>>
>>134856611
any recommendations for something to watch? Always looking for good shows
>>
>>134856713
The only recommendation I can make for you is to end yourself for starting a veiled rec thread you useless piece of shit. Fuck off, die in a fire and get off of social security you god damned retard. In that order.
>>
>>134855131
You are now realizing that Gene was only able to use the Caster successfully like 3-4 times over the course of the entire show. Fucking dumb as shit.
>>
Watched it on Toonami, then watched it again a few years ago. I'm no otaku now, but last time I watched it my anime power level was much lower than it is now

I've gotta give it a watch again, but I do remember liking it

>>134856667
>poor mans bebop.
Even young me thought Bebop was overrated. Bebop is probably better than Outlaw Star, but I don't think it is so much better that it would be the "poo man's" Bebop, but rather a different flavor in the same genre
>>
>>134856668
I agree Dandy did a fine job for most part, particularly in S2 when they fine tuned it and found a better balance. But there my top picks were actually the surreal or emotional eps.
>>
>>134856805
ha you got me!

come on man are you serious
>>
>>134856911
Yes. Fuck off and die.
>>
>>134855131
It's shit. Once Hilda dies and that assassin with the backpack dies, it goes absolutely to shit.

No amount of cool factor can save it for what it is. The problem with the show is that it tried to make this typical rpg quest universe that was unique and then rushed it for the final 'save the world/galaxy/universe' ending that was completely out of place just to end it by the end of the season.

Another problem this show has is that the group is already the best there is. There's no progression of power. They have the best ship in the galaxy, Jean is a chill dude with the best gun, with the best mechanic, state of the art AI and that girl who can interface with the ship. Plus the catgirl is the strongest person in the galaxy.

It's like starting off a typical fantasy adventure when you're max level. What's even the point?
Everything about the show is a damn shame. It's really simply the cool factor and nothing else. I'm unsure if people only like it for the OP, because of the nostalgia or if it's somethinh else.

>>134855995
Good to know someone else hates it as much as I do.
>>
>>134856973
makes sense

still doesnt explain why its such a good show though
>>
>>134856973
>There's no progression of power.

Yeah that's how most of these non-shounen adventure series work. Do you enjoy training arcs and shit?

>They have the best ship in the galaxy,
It's a good ship but it is not the best. It is not really even designed for outlaw-ing. Did you actually watch the show?
>Jean is a chill dude with the best gun

Yeah except for the fact that he cannot use it properly and it is actually pretty bad until he gets those special bullets near the end.

>Plus the catgirl is the strongest person in the galaxy.

Totally false. Is this pasta or something?
>>
>>134856973
It never takes itself too seriously and they were agaisnt a equally over powered enemy. If the crew was slowly progressing there's no way they could've got to the end.
>>
>>134856874
It was so fucking OP at the end that it was lame though
>>
>>134856973
As much as I hate it, I must admit that there's something pretty unique about this show. After all, even four years, my rage is as good as new! That's not a lot, but still it managed to make me angry for a considerable period of time, which is rare.
>>
>>134857174
>Do you enjoy training arcs
You don't? They at least let the characters progress in power and as characters.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYh-dCFb4Sg
This ending makes me feel so mellow
those illustrations help too
>>
>>134857330
you don't have to show off training arcs either. otherwise every movie would have a montage
>>
>>134857040
Cool factor, I swear it's really that and the fact that it's an interesting universe. But it squanders it by the end.

Another problem I have is that the assassin guild seems to be competent at the beginning and ends up being a joke. Those first few assassin like the assassin with the backpack gave the impression that the entire guild were people you didn't fuck around because they would easily kill you, and Jean bearly survived.
After that encounter, there's really

>>134857174
Are you kidding, it's literally the best ship there is by a longshot?

>Yeah that's how most of these non-shounen adventure series work. Do you enjoy training arcs and shit?
Non-sequitur. I enjoy people starting small and progressively getting better you idiot. Training arcs have nothing to do with it. You defeat more enemies, get new armor/weapons, etc. Progression is the key word here. At the beginning of the show, Jean was fighting these assassin and it felt he wasn't the best but then nothing even slowed him down after the assassin with the backpack. That's when it was shit.

>Yeah except for the fact that he cannot use it properly and it is actually pretty bad until he gets those special bullets near the end.
It's still the best gun.

>totally false
Did *you* watch the show? Did you forget that wrestling match where she won or whatever? Come on.

>>134857189
Condensing everything to 26 episodes and rushing the ending killed it. I'm not saying how it should have gone, only bitching at what it is.
>>
>>134857330
Arcs are cool and all but this show isnt really about that... its about exploring for treasure
>>
File: ur a fagot.jpg (917 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
ur a fagot.jpg
917 KB, 1440x1080
>>134857330
gb2dbz kiddo. This is anime made for ADULTS and the only power-up we need is CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
>>
>>134857433
i thought the joke was that the ctarl-ctarl race thought they were the strongest in the universe but they really werent

catgirl had to put up a fight
>>
>>134857433
but the guild is pretty competent. They get harder and harder as the show progresses, Wasnt it the guild that fought the crew in the layline in the last episode?
>>
>>134857489
snap
>>
>>134857433
>assassin guild seems to be competent at the beginning and ends up being a joke
weren't the first set of pirates Ban pirates, and then the end was Kei pirates?
>>
>>134857433
>After that encounter, there's really
nothing that poses the gang a threat. It really made me wonder why the fuck they weren't rich already. I still think that they were trying to do the same thing Bebop did with the woe is me, we have no money.

>>134857634
>get more competent
Hahaha, are you serious?

>first time we see them
>they kill Hilda
>second time we see them (guy with the backpack and that other guy)
>Jean barely survives because the guy just wanted to get out of the game
>this girl comes in >>134855995
>barely a threat, only a mild annoyance
>final assassin is a joke assassin because it's a light hearted episode fanservice
How can you even say they posed more of a threat as the show went on?

>>134857518
She still put up a fight against the best of the galaxy and won (?). I haven't watched the show in years but I think she won. Regardless, she's still one of the strongest characters in the galaxy. Can you imagine starting a D&D game or whatever and you start with Hercules in your party?
I mean, yeah, it's cool, but meh.
>>
>>134857726
christ, at least read my post. The final battle is with a guild member ya dum
>>
>>134857809
Final boss don't count.
>>
>>134857726
Ctarl Ctarl are canonically strong but the only reason she didn't get killed or anything was the same as Suzuka -- plot armour. Her overwhelming strength didn't actually come into play except being her "unique fighting ability" which each character had to have. No idea why you're so hung up about this power level bullshit since it doesn't even get used in the anime itself.
>>
>>134857433
>Condensing everything to 26 episodes
They don't really get a choice there. It was either that or no conclusion at all seeing they didn't get another chance at a season or movie. And it doesn't feel rushed either.

It boils down to preferences it seems, you just were looking for something that was never it's goal. His setback was his trauma, there was no intent to have them grinding for power and new tools. The assassins and MacDougall bro's were strong enough. Anything more and it would've dragged out.
>>
>>134857853
I'm not bitching, I'm just saying that everyone in the group were the best the galaxy had to offer. The reason I disliked the show was because of this lack of progression, that everyone was the best there is. She was just another example of one party member being the best, making all threats inconsequential.
>>
>>134857991
The threats were inconsequential because of plot armour. In-universe all of them would have been easily killed in any space battle. Get your facts straight.
>>
>>134857980
I would have prefered if it was left open ended without having to do the save the world mission at the end.

>The assassins and MacDougall bro's were strong enough.
Not really. I barely cared about them.

>>134858025
No, there simply weren't actual threats to face the gang because they were already the best, not because of plot armor. They had the best ship, the best mechanic, state of the art AI, the strongest person, etc.
They wouldn't have been easily killed in a space battle because of all the advantages they have, namely having such a great ship, an AI and a person who can interface with it. No one else had what they had.

Get your own facts straight.
>>
>>134858111
Maccdougalls almost rekt them. The pirates almost rekt them.

>Not really. I barely cared about them.

Okay so that just invalidates it right? I guess you're just a retard who's reluctant to change his opinion no matter what. It's fine, I see your kind on the internet and in real life all the time. Continue living in your comfortable little bubble for all I care.
>>
>>134856973
I recognize that lack of trip...
>>
It is one of the best. A classic, no doubt.
>>
>>134858174
>Maccdougalls almost rekt them.
Not really. Plus, they're supposed to be legends, and the gang was already going toe to toe with them. Boring.

>Okay so that just invalidates it right?
No, it means I never saw them as a threat and didn't care. Don't think that just because I don't care that it's proof, I just didn't care for them.

>The pirates almost rekt them.
At the beginning or the end? I can't remember.
>>
>>134856081
>>134856268
>>134856392
Now that you pointed it out, the space art is fucking phenomenal.

I guess call me a pleb, but I enjoyed TTGL's over the top space art and color show during its latter episodes, and this shit is on that kind of level. I need to download the bluray release ASAP. Knowing when it came out only makes it better.
>>
>>134855131
I liked the setting and cast the show set up but I dropped it around episode 14 or 15 because it was making absolutely no progress and most of the characters went undeveloped. There wasn't a hook to keep me interested.

I'd love to play a rpg in the vein of Skies of Arcadia or something inspired by it though.
>>
>>134855131
I didn't think it was that great while I was watching it, but I watched Big O a few days after I finished it and realized that I missed it.
I don't know if that stands for Outlaw Star being good or Big O being bad, but I'm sure it means something.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.