[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about Oyasumi Punpun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10
File: oyasumi punpun stars.png (1 MB, 1600x1150) Image search: [Google]
oyasumi punpun stars.png
1 MB, 1600x1150
What do you think about Oyasumi Punpun?
>>
I liked the first half better than the second.
>>
>>144338359
My friend almost killed himself after reading this.
>>
File: latest.png (218 KB, 460x386) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
218 KB, 460x386
Aiko hanging herself was bullshit. Leaving Punpun behind was fucking awful.
>>
>>
DDDDDDDD is better desu
>>
>>144338396
This, second half was too contrived.
>>
>>144338359
Not enough focus on the interesting characters. Punpun himself was extremely uninteresting once you worked out his whole gimmick was "I'm self-destructive". I liked the little artistic contrivance, but it was still a contrivance.
>>
Belongs in the overrated shit thread.
>>
>pros
Atmosphere
Art
Direction
Characters
Realistic look at childhood depression/"abuse"

>cons
Often poorly paced
Continually declines after about 1/4 through the series, leading to utter shit
Aiko was poorly written yet the focus of the entire series
Pegasus was literally added in because he didn't know how to make just punpuns story interesting enough
Backgrounds are photoshopped/+traced

Good series, but literally the most overrated thing on /a/. That being said, it's atmosphere, art, and direction is 10/10 and punpuns depiction is nothing short of genius.
>>
>>144338359
It's really well done, mostly. I just wish it didn't go with the overdone twist if having Ako be imaginary.
>>
>>144341057
Aiko was not imaginary, she was just horribly written in the final arc and completely non developed in the earlier one.
>>
File: 1446407476872.jpg (6 KB, 186x195) Image search: [Google]
1446407476872.jpg
6 KB, 186x195
>punpun ruins his ENTIRE life because he broke a single promise to aiko as a fucking child

Literally every problem stemmed from this single act. I understand that this is actually how real life can work, but it's such a fucking insignificant event, and anyone who has actually studied child psychology (I have) knows that it would not realistically do any of the shit that happened to punpun.

I think there was enough content for 1/2 the length of the series and being stretched out for so long really shit on what he had to offer artistically.
>>
it's decent
it's a continous emotional kick to the guts and for some parts is an unintelligible clusterfuck, but some characters are top notch
loved Sachi until she turned into a blatant author's self insert, loved Shimizu and Seki, loved Aiko, hated Punpun with all my might just like i was supposed to
>>
Despite all the shits /a/ said on punpun, I still love it, even if its not perfect. I really enjoyed reading it.
>>
File: 1461881239813.jpg (39 KB, 801x720) Image search: [Google]
1461881239813.jpg
39 KB, 801x720
>>144338359
I recently dated a girl who showed me this manga. I read it all in a couple days, and I really liked it.
Now, I don't know how I feel about it, but I've been buying the volumes as they come out.

>>144338451
Yeah, fuck Aiko.
>>
>>144341009
Pegasus is the best character, but I love that part of you too anon.
>>
>>144341991
What was even the point of Good Vibrations?
>>
>>144341991
Fuck off Pegasus, go play with your strings or some shit
>>
>>144342062
There wasn't one. Asano literally told that in an interview.
>>
>>144341155
>anyone who has actually studied child psychology (I have)

fuck off dumb cuck
>>
>>144338359
Depressing but addictive.

The ending made me realise that I wasn't sure what to feel about Punpun. I had wanted him to live, but was he really going to get better?

Also what the fuck was with the sudden fork/eye mutilation in the middle of a restaurant? I never see anyone talk about this part but it came the fuck out of nowhere and felt really unnecessary. I guess it was to show Punpun's suffering in a physical way but when you're already represented as a demonic bird blob then what's the point? Shock value?
>>
I just can't seem to get into anything Asano has done. Everything feels so overwrought.
>>
>>144338359
Overrated shit, think's it's the thinking man's manga when it's edgy and boring trash.
>>
There's one thing I still don't really get, why did the math teacher (the guy with black glasses) attempt to kill the other members of the cult? Was that just caused by his insanity or there is an actual explanation?
>>
File: seki_shimizu.jpg (61 KB, 656x591) Image search: [Google]
seki_shimizu.jpg
61 KB, 656x591
it was good, just a bit overrated. I liked it a lot, but I swear I felt retarded the first time I was reading for the whole Pegasus business. I thought I was missing something vital about it because it didn't make any fucking sense... Turns out I wasn't

Seki didn't get enough screentime though. Hands down one of the best characters of the manga.
>>
After awhile Tumblr jumped all over it as the greatest manga ever, I found it boring after awhile and the ending felt lackluster to me
>>
>>144344494
I had no idea it was so popular when I read it, since I found it by chance. In a lot of ways the melancholy self-destructiveness of Punpun felt like a lot of the depressing novels they made us read in high school.

But seconding what you said, I really liked those two. The backstory of how the mom died stuck with me - it was brutal and surreal and maybe could've happened irl. But they appeared so little in the later chapters that I don't even remember what happened in the final time we saw them. The dark-haired one finally got a job, right?
>>
File: 024.jpg (436 KB, 972x1400) Image search: [Google]
024.jpg
436 KB, 972x1400
>>144338359
I don't
>>
>>144338359
didn't understand it
it's just a mad kid who turns out bad while some sect burn themselves
>>
>>144338409
What a fag
>>
File: 1456849258209.gif (906 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
1456849258209.gif
906 KB, 450x360
>>144342230
Brilliant. That's simply brilliant. Who can take this hack seriously after that ?
>>
>>144338359
First good half but the second one ruined everything good and the fact that Punpun is just a fucking emo and Aiko is annoying didn't help.

>>144338451
Aiko was always a cunt what did you expect ?
>>
File: Goodnight Punpun v12 p100.png (402 KB, 1162x1600) Image search: [Google]
Goodnight Punpun v12 p100.png
402 KB, 1162x1600
Best girl.

>>144344494
Best boys.

>>144341057
Aiko wasn't imaginary. The whole thing about Punpun forgetting about Aiko was that his whole perception of her was based on their relationship as kids which was different from the real Aiko. Punpun focused on the past so much to escape from the present that he ended up over-glorifying the past and his relationship with Aiko.
>>
Punpun is a real human bean and a real hero.
I wanted him and the manga writer girl (forgot her name) to get together so badly.
>>
Is there any manga that resembles Punpun, as in, dark and realistic story? I want something to make me feel what I felt with this manga all over again.
>>
>>144346107
Aku no hana
>>
>>144346107
not quite as dark but Koe No Katachi feels pretty similar. To me at least.
>>
>>144338359
I feel the quality declined heavily near the end and I think it's stupidly overrated "depressing" manga.
Aiko was always a self centered cunt that shat on Punpun his whole life without caring. I'm glad she's dead.
Punpun would have an awful life with her. Even so I couldn't help but feel sad for him during the last chapters.
>>
I don't think there's a single piece of media that I've connected with quite like Punpun. It's the only manga where I've cried.

For a long time that clouded my vision, but it certainly has flaws. It's very long and a lot of that is filler. The best argument I've seen as to the Pegasus segments is that it provides a contrast to Punpun's life since they were actively trying to change the world, but if that's the case it was poorly executed. Many other parts were also unnecessary, the story really didn't need peripheral trauma like when he was raped.

Despite that, I still think it's one of the best manga out there, artwork is gorgeous, characters are fully realised, and there is some real depth. The epilogue with Aiko affects me to this day, and I haven't read it in years.

>>144346107
Outside of Asano's other works people will often recommend Aku no Hana. The second half of it certainly resembles Punpun, but I personally didn't connect with any of the characters. The first half felt like mystery without any sense behind it and I had no sympathy for the main character who's downfall is due to his own terrible decisions, unlike Punpun which felt a lot more natural.
>>
>>144346809
>like when he was raped.
lol, fuck that, she was the hottest woman in the manga. Punpun is a straight up bitch
>>
>>144341009
This.
>>
>>144346809
>Aku no Hana
Ah yes. The troubles of teenagers with nothing to do and pretending to be deep. Fuck that manga, the entire cast consists of fucking idiots with good lives whining about shit. And it also goes nowhere on top of that, because it had nowhere to go to in the first place.
>>
First half was good. When they introduced that suicide cult it started going downhill imo.
Inio Asano's art is nice. Liked Yuichi's backstory.

Overall, I think I would give it a 7/10 or 6/10.
>>
>>144346107
Dorohedoro though it is violent, weird and unique as fuck.
>>
File: Aiko_punpun_c130p7.png (323 KB, 926x685) Image search: [Google]
Aiko_punpun_c130p7.png
323 KB, 926x685
I like the idea behind Aiko being the cause of all of Punpun's trouble without her even knowing

She fucks up his life when he was a kid, and then proceeds to disappear for many years leaving an emotionally destroyed Punpun
Once Punpun had his act together (becoming Takeshi) and finally being happy, he meets her again and it all goes downhill from there
>>
>>144351469
He wasn't happy when he was pretending to be Takeshi. He was still a fucking mess
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.