[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DISCLAIMER: I'm genuinely ignorant and want to be educated/see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1457398312328.png (173 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1457398312328.png
173 KB, 500x375
DISCLAIMER: I'm genuinely ignorant and want to be educated/see you guys point of view on anee-mays. I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm probably missing something. So here goes.

I never really "got" anime. I don't think it's bad, and I don't think that everyone who watches it is a retarded weeb. But I don't see why it's so highly regarded by some people over other forms of media, particularly animation. Now, everything I'm about to say could be completely wrong, but here's the main three things that I don't really get:

>character interactions seem awkward, weird, or just plain bad

I realize that a lot of this is a result of core ideas, concepts and flow of sentences being lost in Japanese-English translation, but this still holds true for the Japanese dubs.
It's like the characters are all Grey Aliens who got 45 seconds to observe human behavior, and they're all trying to communicate with each other normally based on those observations alone. It just feels "wrong" and "off", and it's really off-putting.

>generally shoddy/meh animation and sparse variation in art-style

I know there are exceptions and also budget/time constraints on studios, etc...but western animation has always seemed consistently more fluid and unique than anime to me. You can make some older comparisons like Disney vs Miyazaki stuff, but even then it still just feels cheaper and lower grade from a technical standpoint. Everything from actual animations to the amount of frames-per-animation are just generally sub-par.
As far as the actual "art-style" is concerned, each individual artist obviously has their own "flavor", but almost all anime still manages to look more or less the same.

>rehashed/unoriginal settings, plotlines, character development, etc

This was more apparent in the '90s with Shonen everywhere, but you also have way too much Harem, Waifu, Shojo and High School bullshit anime. It all feels samey.

TL;DR; I want to like anime, but, it just seems "meh". What am I missing?
>>
Lurk more, stop watching shit.
>>
>>144303620
You're not wrong, people here just accept they like shit and they're happy with it
>>
Its not too late, turn back, get out, you can till be saved.
>>
>>144303620
You're not missing anything, most anime are bad. People are just entertained by them for whatever reason. I myself have no idea why I still watch.
>>
>>144303620
neo-/a/ hates the golden age for some reason because magical girl and slice of life shit wasn't that common, but stick to golden age anime 70s - 90s
>>
>>144303620
>I've watched less than 20 anime: the post
>>
>>144303620
Anime was good in the 70s and 80s, try watching some series from then.
>>
>>144303620
>I realize that a lot of this is a result of core ideas, concepts and flow of sentences being lost in Japanese-English translation, but this still holds true for the Japanese dubs.
>It's like the characters are all Grey Aliens who got 45 seconds to observe human behavior, and they're all trying to communicate with each other normally based on those observations alone. It just feels "wrong" and "off", and it's really off-putting.
that's because it's japan. In Japan keeping up appearances is literally more important than your personal well being, and while they can be normal in person, in their media even the most casual relationships have to be portrayed in a safe and formulaic manner
>generally shoddy/meh animation and sparse variation in art-style
yeah, there's a lot of cheap crap anime out there. It's a big market and studios are always trying to crap out more raw product to sell. Nobody is saying "all anime is inherently superior to all non-anime cartoons"
again, that's japan. They've heard of the word cliche, but they never seem to have gotten the memo that cliches are a bad thing. They love them.
>>
>>144303620
Fuck off. Sage.
>>
>>144303620
Try watching good anime. E.g: Evangelion, Tatami Galaxy
>>
Can't really speak to the first one, but...

>almost all anime still manages to look more or less the same

Right, because Cowboy Bebop looks exactly like My Neighbor Totoro, which looks exactly like Panty & Stocking, which looks exactly like Sailor Moon (the '90s version), which looks exactly like Redline, which...well, you get the point.

Blame this on the industry's need to pander. The only people really buying anime and anime-related merch these days are NEET otaku adults and little kids. There's little-to-no room for experimentation and fresh ideas in the realm of anime; that shit happens more in manga these days. There are still a handful of decent shows every season, though. The best of the best often make their way to the US and get dubbed, though every once in a while a stinker will get through because it's got tits and tits sell shitty shows to NEET otaku no matter what.
>>
Thinly veiled rec thread. Lurk more.
>>
>>144303620
>western animation has always seemed consistently more fluid and unique than anime to me
That's because you're watching big-budget films. American TV animation is 90% dogshit just like anime.
>>
>>144303620
>>character interactions seem awkward, weird, or just plain bad
Most of the people here will tell you that anime is shit in general, but it's still entertaining if you want it to be. Some can call it a guilty pleasure. Those who actually praise the writing of it, especially fate fandom, are either in denial or brain-damaged.

Now, on the other hand, I also despise American/Western TV and Hollywood. The acting is absolutely abysmal, cringe-worthy and the story is brain-dead too. All of these hyped up shows like game of thrones, all the marvel/dc shit, etc, is much worse than the average anime.

Going back to anime, you can enjoy it for several other things other than characters and story. Such as music, art and animation. Some people enjoy the touhou game franchise solely for the music.

tll;dr anime is bad, but most of tv/cinema in the current age is much worse than it.
>>
https://desuarchive.org/a/search/text/DISCLAIMER%3A%20I%20never%20really%20%22got%22%20anime/
>>
File: 135325.jpg (44 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
135325.jpg
44 KB, 1024x1024
>>144304618
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.