[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth a watch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: lamu.jpg (72 KB, 400x497) Image search: [Google]
lamu.jpg
72 KB, 400x497
Is this worth a watch?
>>
>>144302652
Yes
>>
>>144302804
thanks
>>
File: 1468375798814.jpg (29 KB, 337x404) Image search: [Google]
1468375798814.jpg
29 KB, 337x404
Not really. Tiresome slapstick antics.
Watch CCS instead.
>>
>>144302652
Until Ataru Mom's episode, yes.
>>
>>144303835
I hope you mean until after.
>>
>>144303609
Dumb sakuraposter
>>
>>144303609
>Not really. Tiresome slapstick antics
This.

Horrendously bad comedy.
>>
>>
>>144302652
Yeah, I mean there's nothing good to watch at the moment. Old animes are the best
>>
>>144304991
sauce
>>
It's not bad it's one of those shows you can watch an episode or two of here and there before bed and not have to be concerned about exactly what happened last time. There are recurring characters and ones that stick around
>>
>>144302652
Most definitely. Still the best animoo in the past 40 years.
>>
>>144302652
HS dxd and shinmao no testament are worst also mahouka
>>
Can you watch UY 2: Beautiful Dreamer without seeing the show?
>>
File: cartoon.png (331 KB, 753x793) Image search: [Google]
cartoon.png
331 KB, 753x793
>>144305874
Google to the rescue
>>
>>144306934
Nigga I use ask jeeves
>>
>>144302652
It was twenty years ago.
>>
>>144305874
Urusei Yatsura
>>
>>144302652
It's definitely worth a read.
>>
>>144306350
surprisingly, pretty much. As long as you know some basics about the characters.
>>
Rumiko Takahashi is shit
>>
Are you a plotfag? Can't handle episodic character based comedy routines? Skip.

You'll only miss a classic with a lot of poignant moments and great imagery under it's lighthearted appearance.

It takes a few eps to really get things in motion.
>>
>>144309812

Hence why the anime adaptations of her manga are always better.
>>
It's pretty good. It has a lot of charm and it's pretty funny overall. Some jokes might seem tame and outdated but those are outweighed by sudden amazingly timed jokes that catch you off-guard. The show kinda drops off a bit by the time Studio DEEN takes over at episode 128.
Don't expect the relationship between Ataru and Lum to actually go anywhere though.
>>144306358
Definitely, but they don't really make an effort to introduce the characters in the movie so the way they act will probably seem a bit random.
>>
>>144312729
I was ready for that so as l the continuity from the series is unnecessary it's all good. Thanks for the answer, sempai.
>>
I was just thinking about reading or watching it myself.

However, going from what I read it's quite generic.

In fairness, it came around before it was generic, but now it is.
>>
>>144302652
If you like Oshii psychedelic scenes, it becomes really good around episode 30. They drop the two stories/chapters per episode format, allowing them to add much more anime original stuff, which generally goes very strongly in random imagery nonsense. Sometimes for comedy, sometimes for a different darker atmosphere.

Even the staff that takes over with episode 107 still attempts to emulate Oshii sometimes, although not as frequently as in the 2nd half of Oshii's episodes.
>>
>>144313303
It isn't, really. It spawned a lot of tropes that lesser animes after it would stick to religiously, but Urusei Yatsura itself was clearly created by people who cared about it and the staff weren't afraid to experiment a bit.
Granted, in the final quarter of the show, most characters kinda turn into one-joke catchphrase-spouting non-characters, but it's really good until then.
>>
Uruseyatsura originated many tropes. You should.
>>
You have to appreciate it for what it was at it's time. If you look at history, it is probably the most creative works in Takahashi's catalogue compared to Ranma and Inuyasha. Everything else has been inspired by many series prior compared to what's already been serialized in the 80's. Ranma was most likely inspired by Monkey Punch's Cinderella Boy and Inuyasha probably from Kotaro's Breakthrough.
>>
File: shinobu_strip.gif (2 MB, 293x220) Image search: [Google]
shinobu_strip.gif
2 MB, 293x220
>>144317950

According to Takahashi, Ranma was actually her trying to retell Urusei Yatsura to be what she wanted. Since she wanted Shinobu to win instead of Lum. So basically that's what Akane/Shampoo are.
>>
>>144312729
>Don't expect the relationship between Ataru and Lum to actually go anywhere though.

Even in the movies?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 350x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 350x192
Best manga
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.