[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Not a Gary Stu >Nothing but bad things seem happen to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Subaru.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Subaru.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>Not a Gary Stu
>Nothing but bad things seem happen to him despite him trying his best

Explain why you hate him /a/. He's basically Kaiji.
>>
He likes Emilia.
>>
He's not trying his best.
He's being completely retarded all the time.
At least Kaiji has strokes of brillance when he's not doing stupid shit because of his gambling addiction.
>>
>>144273447
>Not a Gary Stu

He is a deluded bitch cuck instead, much worse.
>>
>>144273521
With Kaiji, you can at least say he himself is responsible for the shit situations he finds himself instead by racking up a debt. Toyota was literally just thrust in to a world that he thought would be a stereotypical fantasy, and it turned out to be a hellish escalation of torture.

Also Subaru has done just about everything he's capable of within his power. There's not a lot you can say he could have done better in dealing with situations. He pulled all his guns out with fighting the dog demons, and it still wasn't enough to be able to save everyone without the clown stepping in.
>>
I don't hate him, he's a 100 times more entertaining than his bland harem of otakubait archetypes. My only complaint is that they actually try to pass off someone so outgoing and social as a NEET. He's got complete confidence when talking to other people to the point that he embarrasses himself, and that confidence would easily get him a job.
>>
>>144273567
How is he a bitch cuck? He's basically a character with normal parameters put in a completely unnormal situation, and still doing better than most people would do.

I don't like throwing this word around often, but it's pretty much a deconstruction of the fantasy/virtal reality genre.

Much like the meguca's were ultimately hampered by the fact that they were little girls thrust in a situation that little girls aren't capable of handling, He's basically a normal guy thrust in a situation that he shouldn't be capable of handling, and it's showing realistic mental effects of such a situation.
>>
>>144273516
Fair criticism
>>
>>144273447
Bumping cause I don't get the Subaru hate either. Guys trying his best.
>>
>>144273447
Forced drama/tragedy is boring
>>
He's actually autismo and is ridiculously lucky Emilia is that patient with his bullshit.

I'm not surprised she D R O P P E D him at the start with how flirty he is. A random person off the street, flirting with a future queen? Yeah, nah.

He also can't stop fucking up super simple things. "Don't go here, Subaru!" "Nah lol why are you so mad?"

Subarus retardedness made me drop it
>>
>>144275379
>is ridiculously lucky

This is the problem. He does everything he can to win, accomplishes nothing, and then shit just works out.
>>
>>144275379
That's due to Emilia's character in that she wants to help everybody. She knows Subaru is kind of a spaz, but helps him anyway. He feels endured to her because of this and in later timeloops returns the favor, causing Emilia to think she owes Subaru favors because she doesn't have knowledge of her helping out in the first place, and thinks she "Owes" Subaru.

In episode 14, this misconception of favors owed is finally played out, as Emilia doesn't understand at all why Subaru acts the way he does, while Subaru is frustrated that she can't "Get" where he's coming from possessing knowledge of other timeloops that Emilia doesn't possess.

You sound like a pleb.
>>
>>144275522
>Subaru is lucky

He is literally the opposite of that
>>
File: 1459729821832.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459729821832.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>144273447
He is a Gary Stu of bad shit happening to him.
>>
>>144273516
/Thread
>>
>>144273805
He's a NEET because he couldn't handle being compared to his dad, who was a god at everything.
>>
>>144273447
Because he is a deluded idiot.
>>
>gary stu
>canon
Pick one
>>
>>144277554
>He's like any normal person like me, and I don't want to see that played out in anime where I seek wish-fulfillment instead of realistic concequences from realistic behavior because I'm an absolute loser with self-esteem problems

Thats you btw (By the way)
>>
>>144273805
I'm a NEET who is like that and knows how to communicate with people. My situation is quite a bit more complicated than your normal autist.
>>
>>144274021
A realistic person would just run away of all that shit and not keep getting involved with people they barely know. There wouldn't be a story if the MC was supposed to act like a normal person.
>>
>>144273805
NEET doesn't always mean awkward, no social skills person.
>>
File: 1467573846636.png (1 MB, 680x887) Image search: [Google]
1467573846636.png
1 MB, 680x887
>>144273447
Delete yourself
>>
>>144278353
He experienced this dilemma in episode 7 of the series. He had found a way to survive, but at the expense of the death of somebody he cared about, and having to cut off all contact with everybody he knew in the new world.

He decided he wanted more and took the plunge to reset reality instead of surviving and taking the easy route.
>>
>>144278353
He has been entranced by the witch too, he can't just get away.
>>
>>144278704
So he isn't "simply" a normal person. Get what I mean?

And it's laughable that people want to pretend this isn't yet another self-insert/wish-fullfilment anime. It just has a more complicated, roundabout setup. As if a bunch of gore and meaningless "deaths" completely change the essence of something
>>
>>144277829
>you're a loser with self-esteem problems!
>subaru is just like you!

No, you fucking retard. Subaru is a deluded idiot with an inflated ego.
I'll ignore the projection part of your post.
>>
>>144273805
You're confusing NEET and hikkikomori, anon.
>>
>>144278789
>I'll ignore the projection part of your post.
And yet you didn't and just said it in a back handed way.
>>
Anyone have the oh no he's retarded comic with Subaru?
>>
Shittiest MC i ever saw, not funny, confident but just useless, a pain in the ass for everyone.
>>
>>144273447
I like him, he's optimist as fuck for someone who saw so much shit.
He's pathetic, but he's an adorable pathetic who always try again.
>>
>>144278820
>>144278583
>>144277967
Maybe true in real life, but what the fuck is the point of writing him as a NEET if not to make socially retarded otaku relate to him? It's a completely redundant character trait if it doesn't actually reflect something about him as a person.
>>
>>144273447
only self insertfags hate subaru, his autism is played up to the extreme and it makes them uncomfortable.
>>
>>144278921
I said i'm not gonna waste my time defending myself from pointless insults. All i did was point the part where your shitty logic connects with it, saying i don't like subaru because he's "someone with no confidence just like me" when the reason is completely fucking opposite.
>>
>>144278770
>self-insert/wish-fullfilment anime

Yeah, dude. I wish I could get horribly killed over and over again.
>>
File: 1393023263233.png (3 KB, 279x237) Image search: [Google]
1393023263233.png
3 KB, 279x237
>>144279207
I self insert only because I have a massive femdom fetish
>>
>>144273447
A shitty character for the shitty folk with shit taste. Trash that fits them perfectly.
>>
File: 1468661977418.gif (1016 KB, 332x332) Image search: [Google]
1468661977418.gif
1016 KB, 332x332
I frickin' hate his annoying personality to the core
I even literally tried to get into this anime because i saw that the plot is actually slightly more complicated than standard anime-garbage produced nowadays but god fucking damn i can't go through his random spouting random words, his utterly stupid sense of pseudo-humour mixed with perversy that somehow manages to get those harlots to laugh
also don't fuckin forget repeating autism attacks ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! in the middle of a fucking discussion about choosing the next king/queen
>>
>>144279448
>>>/reddit/
>>>/mal/
>>
The only thing I don't like is that he hasn't really tried to get around the
>I can't physically talk about it
thing. He has't even tried a clever workaround like writing a code or tried to explain that he is being silenced by something.
>>
>>144279448
He was a friendless NEET who just worked out, watched anime and played video games every day. He doesn't for a second grow homesick because he had zero personal connections in Japan. Do you really expect someone like that to not have severe personality issues? The harlots probably find him unique and exotic in a strange way since the social conditions that produces the kind of person Suzuki is don't exist in their world.
>>
>>144279524
nice reddit defensive mechanism
>>
>>144273447
He has zero charisma.
>>
>>144279448
Please tell me this is pasta.
>>
>>144279717
Fuck off you subhuman scum. Lurk more before posting you fucking underage faggot.
>>
>>144273447
Totally agree bro, he is a well written REAL character! Honestly the best I've seen lol
Upvote!
>>
>>144279745
This basically.
>>
>>144279687
Well i can't argue that his personality has an understandable origin, but unfortunately this doesn't make it less cringy to watch
>>
>>144279843
You need to be a little bit masochistic to enjoy it ;)
>>
>>144279745
he's your "average Japanese highschooler protagonist" archtype: he's not supposed to be anything special; he's supposed to be an ordinary person, which he is intentionally written as.
>>
File: 1468532935056.jpg (42 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1468532935056.jpg
42 KB, 800x800
>>144279785
try actually saying something next time instead of repeating what you heard from someone else
>>
File: CnUO4DbWcAA1wk2.jpg (48 KB, 521x516) Image search: [Google]
CnUO4DbWcAA1wk2.jpg
48 KB, 521x516
>>144273447
I don't hate him. He's pathetic, self-centered idolfag and that's make him good. Where is another MC like him? Especially in isekai LN trash?
>>
File: 1434495270425.png (32 KB, 150x190) Image search: [Google]
1434495270425.png
32 KB, 150x190
I can't even tell who is false flagging and who isn't anymore.

Either way, his character is fine to me, he's being shown to be fairly delusional until last episode hit and he finally realized he needs to stop thinking he's hot shit because of his power and being transported since he probably put it into his mind that "i'm the main character". And i'm guessing Emilia is his first "real love" or something like that, so he goes overboard when she's around making things worse.

I'd rather not judge a character on a "i'd never do something like that" or "he should do this instead", since that's not really the point. And honestly from what was shown so far, he's fairly normal, thinks poorly of himself most likely, and this entire thing got to his head and he paid for it by being a sperg.
>>
>>144279448
Why do people disagree with this?

Chapter 13 was one of the most cringeworthy shitfest I've watched to the point I had the urge to stop watching the chapter when the guy spoke.

I'm socially awkward and I don't even do shit that bad.
>>
>>144273516
Bodysnatcher's curse warps his desires to obsessive levels. Being separated from Emilia coupled with watching death and constantly dying himself will further destroy his mental health.
>>
>>144280011
It's a result from second hand embarrassment. Which is fairly weird that you'd be able to feel that for an anime character. I only feel like that if i see someone in real life doing something completely retarded in public, but on anime?
>>
>>144279892
charisma has nothing to do with that, you either have it or you don't. even fucking issei has more charisma than that faggot subaru
>>
>>144273802
>There's not a lot you can say he could have done better in dealing with situations

He could have left emilia bumping in to her and minded his own business.

He could have left the mansion and minded his own business.

He could have listened to Emilia and let her handle the election while the Gary Stu protects her.

He could have shut his mouth and know his place infront of the knights.
>>
Can someone make a non-bait thread?
>>
>>144280131
He has plenty of charisma though. The problem is when Emilia's involved he goes full on sperg and fucks everything up.
>>
>>144280011
>I had the urge to stop watching the chapter when the guy spoke.
>I'm socially awkward
You need soem epic self incert anime. Try Kaze no Stigma. Kazuma is pussy destroyer
>>
>>144273447
Kaiji Claws his way out of the metaphorical pit of stinking shit by his own merit. That is what makes him a good character, he's a very flawed person who is able to recognize his flaws and instead earn victory with his strengths. It never feels like he wins because of luck or for reasons out of his control. He's also quite endearing with the way he cuts through bullshit and doesn't waste your time. His struggles are entirely believable, realistic and most important of all, relatable.

Can you say the same about Subaru?
>>
I honestly don't have a fucking clue why he gets so much hate, I assume it's a case of people thinking they'd do better in that situation and thus Subaru needs to do better too.

I think it's a combination of Subaru being a NEET which gives morons the impression that he has to be just like them, people not understanding that his loud and over the top personality are a coping mechanism, people who hate characters with genuine flaws rather than superficial ones, and finally people who can't handle any degree of cringe and get mad at the character instigating it rather than seeing the potential it adds to the storytelling.

That and people don't seem to respect the level of shit he actually has to put up with, they marginalise it by saying stupid shit like "why doesn't he just kill himself repeatedly to train" when becoming that desensitised to the most primal fear isn't easy, as well as "his" power not actually being his own but rather a curse he doesn't understand.
>>
Prune this shit thread and someone make a better one
>>
>Yfw AU Rem had Subaru come home one day and borderline molest her before shoving his dick in her and deflowering her, but she put up with the pain and begged for him to cum inside knowing that if they had a child Subaru wouldn't leave her
>>
>>144280170
fuck off. kaiji is self-insert garbage with a disgusting jew nose. you're just mad that subaru is a better character.
>>
>>144280162
Worst part that Emilia is main girl. And she has worst type of personality. She can't just tell him fuck off.
>>
>>144280073
Everyone feels this. It's called empathy. You see a human character and you instinctively imagine yourself in their place, it's an important mechanism our brain has that is important for human communication.

People who are incapable or find it hard to do this are called autists.
>>
>>144280232
>She can't tell him to fuck off

She did in episode 13. Not in those exact words, but she pretty much left him because she felt hurt over how he was acting and his choice of words.
>>
>>144280225
>Subaru is better than Kaiji
He is just a cuck with hax nonsense powers that are there just because and wins by trial and error while Kaiji is an addict to GAMBURU that gets out of shitty situations he brought himself into without asspull powers and by being smart.
>>
>>144280240
I have plenty of empathy, i was referring to feeling embarrassed to the point i'd feel like pausing the video, it just sounds foolish.

Also if we're talking about putting myself in his place, i'd be feeling frustration instead, since clearly he was more angry than he was embarrassed.
>>
>>144280225
Why would you ever want to self-insert as Kaiji?
>>
>>144280225
>kaiji is self-insert garbage with a disgusting jew nose
None of that contradicts my argument.

I haven't watched RZ, so I can't really say whether or not he's a better character and nor will I try. Like I said, could you say any of that about Subaru? If not, then why even bother comparing them? Just because they're "unfortunate" characters?
>>
>People unironically defending this mediocre character

I mean, he's not total shit, but fuck, how can people like this faggotlord?
>>
>>144280284
>She did in episode 13
And it's looks too sweet because of her personality.
>>
>>144280343
>I haven't watched RZ
Then what are you doing in a Re: zero thread?
>>
>>144280327
>Also if we're talking about putting myself in his place, i'd be feeling frustration instead, since clearly he was more angry than he was embarrassed.
Why would you be frustrated about a guy defending the worst girl of the show?

Fuck Emilia/Satella and fuck this gay cuck.
>>
>>144280372

Because I judge characters by their intentions and efforts, not by their results. So long as the story depicts their flaws as genuine flaws, I'm okay with watching them overcome them.

Doing what Subaru does isn't easy in the slightest.
>>
>>144280373
Well yeah, you have to understand that her entire life people have been wary of her as a person because of how she looks, due to Satella, and her fitting her description.

In comes Subaru, someone who does not give a damn about how she looks, and acts friendly with her and saves her life. Of course she'd try to be understanding, she wants the friendship to stay there. But Subaru of course, kept pushing the issue and made her feel hurt over it, because he came off as a manipulative asshole.
>>
>>144280330
I SELF INSERTED MY COCK INTO YOUR MOTHER'S CUNT FAGGOT
>>
File: Re_Zero_Volume_8_14.png (775 KB, 765x1080) Image search: [Google]
Re_Zero_Volume_8_14.png
775 KB, 765x1080
>>144280372
he's SUPPOSED to be a mediocre character. it gives him room for character development.
>>
>>144280431
Answering the question posed in the OP. Is your mind so fucking insular that that offends you or something?
>>
Anyone else balance out Subaru by watching Kirito? After marathoning Re:Zero, I started watching SA:O II just to balance out Subaru's uselessness with Kirito's competence.
>>
>>144279141
Except it does reflect things about him as a person.

See
>>144277538
>>
>>144280483
Forgot to add, that it was also because he keeps hurting himself for her all the time. So that's like a weight on her shoulders, because she doesn't want him to try so hard for her, and get hurt, especially when he keeps saying that it's because "he owes her", and in this loop it makes no sense for that to be the case.
>>
>>144280573
So he was... envious
>>
>>144280565
Are you trying to offend me?
>>
>>144277538
He's family really exist? Woah. It's not common for LN. What about his mother?
>>
>>144280372
You're forgetting just how lacking LNs as a medium are in terms of talent.

I don't particularly like him as an MC, and episode 14 was one giant cringefest from start to finish. But he's servicable and doesn't fall into some of the common pitfalls that other LN protags do.
>>
>>144280609
What the fuck are you on about? Jesus christ.
>>
>>144280609
Yeah, I am, are you simple?
>>
>>144280599
Or maybe being compared to his ubermensh father hurt his pride.
>>
>>144280599
There are people who are become NEET for vastly more stupid shit.
>>
>faggots hating on Subaru

I bet these threads are made by butthurt yaharifaggots mad because Subaru is better than that faggot Hachiman.
>>
>>144280673
>>144280675
I think you didn't catch my drift.
>>
>>144280586
He act idolfag/stalker/fanatic. Someone should say him about this.
>>
>>144280642
Calm down, man. I just asked a couple of questions.

>>144280659
Then you're a child.
>>
>>144280677
Subaru is definitely worse than 8man, but at least his series isn't shit.
>>
>>144280724
>child
>Projection
>>
>>144280714
I think he is getting aware of it. The whole saving everyone and all that probably got to his head, since he clearly didn't seem to have that much self worth, so he started to think he's hot shit and forgets to be self aware when Emilia's involved.

What happened in episode 15 was pretty much a wake up call.
>>
>>144280225
Are you dissing FKMT's art?
>>
>>144280737
Not him but how the fuck is he worse than 8man? 8man is the worst.
>>
File: asdf.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
When will he embarrass himself and everyone else again?
>>
>>144280907
8man is nowhere subaru-tier autistic
>>
File: subura is pride.jpg (184 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
subura is pride.jpg
184 KB, 1920x1080
>>144280699
I'm >>144280673

I think you didn't catch mine.
>>
>>144280952
>8man
"world first school problems"
>>
>>144280986
We know for a fact that he's not pride.
>>
>>144281062
We do? Proof?
>>
>>144273447
>trying his best
trying his best to become retarded that is
>>
>>144280952
>muh genuine
>not autistic

Fuck off.
>>
>>144279524
reddit and mal also hate him
>>
>>144278770
My dream is to see my friends die over and over again, while also experiences incredible pain myself from dying.

Definitely what I dream to self-insert as.
>>
File: windows.png (710 KB, 1224x790) Image search: [Google]
windows.png
710 KB, 1224x790
>>144280986
Activate your Windows you fucking faggot
>>
>>144273447
Because the whole premise of the show is chuuni garbage. Subaru is chuuni garbage.
>>
>>144281291
I was going to at one point then I realized that activating it is pointless. I don't even notice the watermark anymore.
>>
>>144281291
give me a code and i will
>>
>>144281291
>>144281381
>paying for software
>>
Everytime i go to these threads i always see subaru apologist saying that his pretty much realistic to the point that we see our reflection on him thus hating him. So are you seriously telling me that you'll do everything that subaru has done through out the series? You do know that there are many ways he could have done to avoid his suffering right?
>>
Whats everyones problem with subaru again? Is it that he's supposed to be sold as a usual NEET, but he's actually a decently competent NEET instead?
>>
>>144280921
Emilia was being scorned and insulted by everyone in the room. He goes up to take some attention off of her and to show her his support.

It was also important for him to make whatever personal connections he could to the other important people in the room. He probably didn't realize that at that time but later on when he helps lead the fight against the apostles it turns out that not being a stranger to the other candidates is kinda important.

And all in all there is no one else Emilia can even choose as a knight but Subaru. Who else has risked everything to help her multiple times?

Just all the evidence you need to see that Emilia is garbage and deserves to be alone and hated by the world.

>>144281322
Subaru has ruined whatever small talent of magic he has by overuse so he is effectively crippled in a world of magic.
>>
>>144273447
Subaru is like Shirou if Shirou was even more dense
>>
>>144281514
>being a retard

I fucking hate this fanbase.
>>
>>144281514
>paying to activate
Try harder.
>>
Does he ever get any other cool illusion powers besides the smokescreen?
>>
>>144281529
>decently competent NEET instead?

Took the dude 3 deaths before he learned how to do basic housekeeping.
>>
>>144281749
oh yeah toughguy, how about you learn basic mansionkeeping in a little under 10 days?
>>
>>144281741
His gate is fucked so he can't right now, but in future arcs in the web novel he does develop new skills.
>>
>>144280170
Subaru also realizes his own flaws, and just like Kaiji, neither of the two seem to be able to make a permanent change, only a temporary one.

In episode 15 Betelguese spells out the fact that he's just faking insanity for sympathy, and it's not until he sees Rem crawing towards him despite suffering more than he puts his own problems in perspective, and decides to man up.

In chapter 7, he pushes himself to jump off a cliff to reset reality because he decided that he'd rather feel like "Really living" instead of just surviving which would be the easy route.

Subaru definitely rectifies many of his flaws.
>>
>>144281550
You can't just elect some scrawny cabinboy to be your knight in the middle of possibly the biggest political election of all time. Especially not with the way he was utterly ruining her image on the dancefloor there.
>>
>>144281062
>Sloth is hyperactive maniac
It would make sense to have Pride being such a pitiful creature like Subaru
>>
>>144281529
I'd do a better job than him desu senpai.
>>
>>144280225
I self-instert as both Kaiji AND Subaru. What is wrong with me?
>>
>>144281550
>He goes up to take some attention off of her and to show her his support.
That's what he thought he was doing. In reality he only made things worse for her.

Sure it's not like Emilia has anybody else. But nobody is still better than someone who will actively make things harder for you even with the best of intentions.
>>
>>144281771
At least I can use a pairing knife without slicing up my fingers.
>>
>>144281529
>>144281861

More like Subaru's dad would do a better job than him.
>>
>>144281827
Subaru was never insane. He was in shock, and wanted to find comfort, he wasn't truly faking it. It was more like his brain shut down to run away from the responsability.
>>
>>144281771
>toughguy
>Projection
>>
>>144281827
>In episode 15 Betelguese spells out the fact that he's just faking insanity for sympathy

Not sure if I agree with Betelgeuse there, he didn't even blink when his eye got licked. You can't fake shit like that, his mind was legit in shock.
>>
>>144280921
In 13 hours, 41 minutes.
>>
>>144281887
The problem was him shit talking the knights. Even the councilman praised Subaru's talk because he showed everyone Emilia had people who didn't fear her and supported her sincerely.
>>
>>144281921
He was faking it because he gave up and hoped that if he did nothing and acted pathetic he'd garner some sympathy from someone and theyd comfort him.

Then he realized he can't do nothing or everything he cares about will be brutally fucking murdered at the drop of a hat.

>>144281972
Pretty much this. Subarus shit all went to his head and she should have stopped talking 10 pounds of bullshit ago, but he just kept going on and on and digging the hole deeper. It was a painfully drawn out trainwreck.
>>
>>144281835
Her image as a social pariah that is akin to looking exactly like Hitler.

If anything Subaru helps her since he actually has made more friends than her in the few weeks he's been in that world.

Shit he even wins the respect of the dude who fights him. What the fuck has Emilia done to win support for her bid.
>>
File: CnBJqLeVMAIW1Bd.jpg (9 KB, 621x350) Image search: [Google]
CnBJqLeVMAIW1Bd.jpg
9 KB, 621x350
Forget Rem/Ram
Forget Emilia
Forget Beatrice
Forget Felt
Forget Boypussy
Forget Priscilla, Crusch, Osaka

Pic related is the true best girl of the series
>>
>>144282016
>If anything Subaru helps her since he actually has made more friends than her in the few weeks he's been in that world.
He basically walked on stage and shittalked the entire standing army of the country saying he's better than them, how did any of that help her image? All because he was jealous of some fancy knight taking Emilias affection.
>>
>>144282006
Anon you can't fake shock, he was a drooling mess, and didn't even blink properly. Betelgeuse simply felt he was trying to be "insane", which is completely different from being in shock which he was.

The entire thing he saw with everyone dead fucked him up. His mind shut down and he unconsciously seeks comfort.
>>
>>144282096
this is true
I can't wait for Toyota to go nuclear on his ass
>>
Kaiji is a lovable idiot you can easily sympathize with. Subaru is just a fucking loser in every sense of the word.
>>
File: Screenshot_16yd.png (334 KB, 425x600) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_16yd.png
334 KB, 425x600
Primaryfags can I get a spoil for the context of pic related

And whether or not its going to happen in the anime
>>
>>144282118
he was faking catatonia, shock wouldn't have lasted that long.
>>
People who hate Subaru need to watch the series, and then rewatch it again. He's not an easily digestible character and far more complex than people want him to be.

He's acting like a real person with flaws. He's not supposed to fulfill your wish as a badass who can overcome anything.
>>
>>144282096
>generically "insane" randum villain
>best

Not even once.
>>
>>144282176
It's exactly what it looks like.
>>
>>144282099
She is a female half-elf with silver hair.

Honestly it would hurt her image more if she had a hyper competent knight in her corner since people would be somewhat justified in being scared of her.

Having a buffoon of a knight honestly does help take the edge off of the fact that she looks exactly like the most evil figure that has ever existed in that world.

In any case Emilia really can't be cutting ties with one of the few person who genuinely supports her because of her.
>>
You can definitely argue that he's cringeworthy and unlike able. But he's an interesting character. He has actual depth to him.
>>
>>144281921
He was definitely faking it. Betelguese is legitmately insane, he can identify when other people are insane, and Subaru was not insane.

He was just overwhelmed and wanted sympathy. His act was in no way malicious, but he was just a guy who really wanted help because shit was flying at him harder than he could handle.

It took seeing Rem go through all kinds of punishment to motivate him to put his problems in perspective.
>>
>>144280921
Today, judging from the preview.
>>
File: toyota shocks.jpg (171 KB, 1300x647) Image search: [Google]
toyota shocks.jpg
171 KB, 1300x647
I wish I knew how to make gifs, I would have him looking around.
>>
>>144281550
He is not ruined forever. They can still heal his gate.
Still he will need a lot of training and recovery before he can use magic again.
>>
>>144282297
i find the fact that he's legitimately unlikable gives him more character than most other protags and in turn makes him more likable to me.

>>144282277
So instead of trying to act civil in the face of discrimination, you want her to act like a clown instead and become an even bigger joke?
>>
>>144282336
He was experiencing acute stress disorder.
>>
>>144281950
Easily faked. I could have my eye licked and not flinch if I really wanted too.

Subaru was not insane, just overwhelmed, and pretending to be worse than he was to garner sympathy as a defense mechanism. I used to do that as a child when I did something bad and my parents would come and scold me. I'd deflect blame by pretending like I was incapable of handling the problems by playing up my ADHD.

This is why Subaru is a far more complex character than people think.
>>
>>144282183
I'm not gonna tell you to have someone lick your eye but tell someone to put some eye drops in your eye and see how easy it is for you to not blink.
>>
>>144282297
>good character designing, just a disgusting person
Of course; the latter is only affected by the former if the former was bad.
>>
>>144282096
Yeah I also saw that thread on reddit anon. Adorable.
>>
File: 1458698704036.png (96 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1458698704036.png
96 KB, 600x500
>>144282641
>I could have my eye licked and not flinch if I really wanted too.

Do you even know what makes a reflex a reflex?
>>
>>144273447
>despite him trying his best

Tell me how he's actively trying to find information about his reason even being in the world and why he has the loops? Tell me how he's been asking rem about the witch Cult?

Tell me how he's been trying to avoid trouble.

The guy in All you need is Kill TRIED his best.

Suabru a lazy selfish fuck that just wants to bone emilia without caring about his own well being or situation.
Trying to be a hero when he's not capable of protecting shit unless he goes through a bunch of loops.

Even in the mansion arc with the clown he would have died again.
>>
>>144282744
>reddit

You get on reddit?
>>
>>144282787
I think his problem is more "being stupid and autistic" than "not trying hard enough". He does work hard, often towards making things worse.
>>
>>144282744
>people actually browse reddit for memes to steal
>people actually browse reddit to police stolen memes
I don't know which is worse
>>
>>144282641
>>144282760
I feel like they screwed up when they were trying to emphasize how hard Subaru was trying to fake it.
It really is a reflex, but given the situation, it did look like he was faking the madness.
Let's just say that they dungoofed.
>>
>>144282760
Literally touching my eye with all sorts of things around me right now. It is not that hard to not blink if you don't want to. It's not a reflex.
>>
>>144280986
>>144281291
>>144281381
>>144281490
>>144281514
>>144281677
>>144281713
there you go

my.mixtape.moe/mosfuw.7z pw 2014
>>
>>144282836
You dont? what are you, gay?
>>
>>144282946
Not really. It was pretty subtle considering there are still retards ITT at this very moment who still don't think he was faking the madness.
>>
>>144282952
That's because you're touching your own eye. Have someone else do it.
>>
>>144283002
It's really ironic.
>a fucking madman
>A MADMAN
>telling Subaru that he's not really mad
How much more of a primary source could you need
>>
>>144282970
>implying im downloading your keylogger
nice try ruskie
>>
>>144280986
>using Windows instead of a Unix-like OS
>>>/v/
>>
>>144283004
Eye surgery is pretty common anon
>>
>>144283067
Unix holds terrible design philosophies.
Stallman is a hypocrite.
>>
>>144282787
Subaru is definitely trying hard considering his character design.

What it sounds like you're asking for is a shonen protaganist that literally pushes beyond the limits of just "Trying hard"

It's a scientifical fact that Humans have a limited amount of willpower that they can use. Subaru is probably exceeding what most people in his situation would be capable of.
>>
>>144283072
Anesthesia is also common in surgery, numbnuts.
>>
>>144283189
Now you're just telling blatant lies.
>>
>>144283189
Then let's just say that he wasn't faking it and it really isn't that hard to do.
You've done more than enough to prove your point.
also i don't think you have a gf
disregard the thought it's irrelevant to the thread
>>
>>144283052
I don't think Acute Stress Disorder is true madness to begin with.
>>
>>144283189
Fuck off normalfag.
>>
File: sUser0Y.png (555 KB, 829x1200) Image search: [Google]
sUser0Y.png
555 KB, 829x1200
>>144275522
>shit just works out
Good luck, anon. You'll need it for the weeks to come.
>>
>>144283357
But what is true madness?
Is it the loss of sensibilities, both in mind and body, to the point where you cannot tell the difference between pain and pleasure?
Or is it absolute delusion to life, where you continually deny yourself of your own surroundings and act as if the world revolves around you?
Could it be the result of forbidden knowledge, where you devote yourself to the undeniable truth so much that you forget how to think?
Personally, I think that true madness is going on 4chan
>>
>>144280155
ow the edge
>>
I've been googling the whole "Can you let other people touch your eye without blinking", to put away all this anecdotal evidence, but nothing is coming it one way or the other.

Hopefully there is an eye doctor ITT that can put this question to rest once and for all.
>>
>>144280155
It's as if you're asking Subaru to be Onii-sama. That's not going to work.
>>
>>144283131
True
Subaru's problem is that he THINKS he has that shounen protagonist power.
>>
>>144283613
Eye doctor here. Kill yourself.
>>
>>144280155
He's an ignorant self-worshipping insensible prick
He could have done better, but his personality stopped that from happening
>>
>>144283645
He thinks he's god after stopping some basic assassin bitch and the universe equivalent of some tutorial level rats.

Once he gets to the capital and is in the middle of all these knights and foreign princesses he doesnt realize hes just a big fish in a small pond yet and makes a fool of himself.
>>
File: 1468627617899.png (137 KB, 334x517) Image search: [Google]
1468627617899.png
137 KB, 334x517
>>144283659
8/10
>>
>>144283680
>He could have done better, but his personality stopped that from happening

I think I know a series you may be interested in. It's called Sword Art Online. The protoganist is totally badass and ain't no personality traits gonna get in the way of him kicking ass!
>>
>>144280155
Then does that leave our story if he decides to do nothing?
>>
>>144283755
The author will probably spun a witch sniper and shoot Emilia in the head when she's delivering her speech.
>>
>>144283052
I think the point is he's fucked up, but he's not truly insane. It's not exactly that he was intentionally faking it, he was actually incredibly traumatized, but not enough to make him go 100% insane.

I don't think it's right to say he was just faking it, I think he just didn't want to act and wanted people to take care of him. Instead of masking his pain and soldiering on he just left it out there for everyone to see. The reason he didn't stay crazy is because seeing Rem die for him had the effect of bringing his resolve back.
>>
>>144283645
If we want to look at Reset By Death's real effects on Subaru...
>Being able to come back from death reinvigorates him to keep trying, but simply because he thinks he can't lose
>As such, he does everything as if there's no consequences and makes like a complete asshat
>Watching everyone die over and over again has some negative effect on his mental state
>The Witch's curse gets worse as he keeps dying

>>144283753
Humans have flaws. They function how they do because of those flaws.
He literally could have been a better person if he were a different one.
sao is a shit
>>
This anime has the most obvious trolls I've ever seen and the most numerous. You could have a more civil thread about narutos positive aspects than this anime without this much blatant shitposting.
>>
>>144281195
>only porn can be wish-fullfilment
-you
>>
>>144283613
The signal to blink when a foreign object suddenly makes contact with your eye comes from a few nerves behind the eyes. That's not really something your brain as a handle on.
>>
>>144278770
Why would anyone want to insert themselves as an unthinking asshole
>>144279357
>>144281195
They don't
>>
>>144283883
>He literally could have been a better person if he were a different one.
How did he became a different one if there isn't a hint of information dropping from the sky and telling him how to do it perfectly like some of the main characters from Shounen Jump?
>>
>>144283998
You can disable it if you anticipate the touch.
Just like you can disable knee jerk by will.
>>
>>144283645
>THINKS he has that shounen protagonist power.
He does.
>>
>>144284037
I didn't say he became a better one and I don't mean to suggest that he could have become one at the moments where it would have counted because that sounds extremely deus ex machina.
>>
>>144283874
He was faking it, otherwise what was even the point of Betelgeuse even mentioning it?

Betelgeuse had to basically point out that he was faking it so people could pick up that point, otherwise, most people wouldn't be able to grasp that.

Episode 8 is a pretty good example of the fact that Subaru isn't always completely honest about how he's feeling, and has typical emotional vulnerabilities. His personality was completely faked, but I'm sure most people didn't think much of the way he was acting until Puck and Emilia started having a conversation about the fact that he's not acting with complete sincerity.

Just because the show isn't completely in your face about the fact that he's faking it, doesn't mean he's not faking it. It sounds like you want hint after hint to remind of you of how the MC is actually feeling.

Just consider the fact that he was pushed pretty quickly back to "Normalcy" after seeing what happens to Rem. Thinking realistically, that would not push somebody with PTSD closer to reality, but in fact push them further in to PTSD.

He was faking it. Seeing Rem struggle through the pain is what motivated him to stop feeling sorry for himself.
>>
>>144284036
self-insert is a poor term desu. I just mean to say that Re:Zero isn't different, at its core, to the other isekai stuff. MC still pulls through in the end, girls still fall in love with him for nearly no reason, conversations and interacions are eerily favourable to his attitudes and lines, etc

It's not some kind of subversion and isn't trying to say "see, self-insert shows? THIS is the real deal". I can't understand how people infer that from the show
>>
>>144273447
>despite him trying his best

He tries his best to behave in the most retarded way possible. His intentions may be good, but it doesn't matter if it always results in him doing things completely wrong. If you met somebody like Subaru you wouldn't tolerate his autistic antics for as long as Emilia did, don't kid yourself. He's a total unlikable shithead regardless of his intentions.
>>
>>144281490
daz loader
>>
>>144284197
I think the point of Beetlejuice mentioning it is that he still has awareness and is pretending to not so people care for him and he doesn't need to face the scary thing called life, but he's definitely emotionally traumatized.
>>
File: 1451873397841.png (479 KB, 613x613) Image search: [Google]
1451873397841.png
479 KB, 613x613
>>144273521
>He's being completely retarded all the time.
This.

I can't stand stupid MCs that can never stop and think because the writer would need put some effort into writing if their MC didn't just stumble around like a spaz doing stupid shit all time.
>>
>>144284240
>MC still pulls through in the end
Like most stories ever told, i guess
>girls still fall in love with him for nearly no reason
One girl does, arguable if it's for no reason
>conversations and interacions are eerily favourable to his attitudes and lines
Did you miss episode 13?

>It's not some kind of subversion and isn't trying to say "see, self-insert shows? THIS is the real deal"
Not everything has to be either a harem show or a subversion of it.
>>
>>144284297
The whole catatonic stuff was 100% fake. He would've been more traumatized by his own death in any of the earlier loops yet he wasn't.

He simply had no idea what to do so he played shut down waiting for the plot to advance by itself (which it did).
>>
>>144284112
>literally
Okay. I got baited. Thanks for clarifying that.
>>
>>144284197
Betelgeuse can't see the forest for the trees.
>>
>>144284335
It's like you're saying you never do anything stupid in your life. You're the contradiction to reality, anon.
>>
>>144284367
I'm starting to think this scene was done in a way to intentionally cause this kind of argument between viewers.
>>
>>144284240
>MC pulls through at the end

Most people familiar with the series at this point would speculate that there is never gonna be a good ending for Subaru. He's shaping up to be a tragic or fallen hero.
>>
>>144284367
>The whole catatonic stuff was 100% fake
That's what I said, all I'm trying to say is he was still fucked up mentally.
>>
>>144284356
>Like most stories ever told, i guess
Most stories don't have people trying to argue that they're different because the protagonist is powerless or some shit when in reality he has the most powerful and resolutive ability of his universe.

>One girl does, arguable if it's for no reason
There's always an in-show reason, even in something like SAO. What's called into question is generally verisimilitude.

>Did you miss episode 13?
That shit won't matter, even if the show tries to make us believe it does. The call out itself appears genuine but ends up being too soft and hollow if all posterior circumstances accomodate him anyway
>>
>>144284240
Alright, I can concur with you there.
But after episodes like that last one, it at least looks like Subaru will start winning out of actual thinking and acting like a goddamn person.
Remember 13? Rem deserved that breakup.
Remember 14? Everyone fucking died.
That last one? REM GOT FUCKING WRINGED LIKE A TOWEL.
And even then, the MC is supposed to win in the end until the end where the story is a lot more open to such a shock factor.
As for the love thing...
Rem's one girl, and Emilia doesn't even love him.
>>
>>144284481
The series has been very subtle about many aspects so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if the author put it in to spark controversy.

That said, It's pretty clear he's faking it.
>>
>>144284530
>That shit won't matter, even if the show tries to make us believe it does
nigga how do you know
>ends up being too soft and hollow if all posterior circumstances accomodate him
things can always change man
and that's just a statement of common sense, not really an opinion
>>
>>144284530
Dude you can't even call it a harem. He has one girl lust over him and She's gonna get erased from reality in the finale of the anime.
>>
File: cochran.jpg (47 KB, 780x567) Image search: [Google]
cochran.jpg
47 KB, 780x567
>>144284580
If he doesn't blink, his brain can't think.
>>
>>144284630
>nigga how do you know
I don't know, I'm predicting it. I'm almost sure this is what will happen because I have enough experience with these kinds of stories, and this one in particular is literally structured like a VN where there's always a true end.

>>144284539
I don't understand how the "dark stuff" in this is any different conceptually than in say, Steins;Gate.
>>
>>144284530
You just said that what i said was wrong without giving any arguments.

The story isn't trying to argue that it's special or subverting anything, that's all in your head.
>>
>>144284197
>He was faking it, otherwise what was even the point of Betelgeuse even mentioning it?
How to spot an obvious troll. They say this.
>>
>>144284705
Empiricism is the worse way to judge things you've never seen before.
Just because I see one man with a gun that doesn't shoot mean doesn't mean the next one I see with a gun won't.
>>
>>144284428
>It's like you're saying you never do anything stupid in your life.
I try not to and if I do I put some effort into thinking about what went wrong and doing better in the future.

Also I've never done something stupid due to impulse. All my errors have been long chains of events that I headed off being disasters by thinking about the situation and making corrections.

How many times did he die and kept asking people if they remembered him or acted totally irrational after restarting to people that he didn't know as if they remembered him? How many times did he do that AFTER he accepted that he was living in ground hog day?

I can accept characters making bad choices. I can accept characters not seeing what I as the observer sees and is highlighted for me by the direction.

What I will not accept is when the character spazzes out and fails around like a whiny retard. That's just bad writing, because it's used to advance the plot by writer(s) that are not smart enough to write a smart solution and instead depend on 'lol random actions = random outcomes' to get past a plot problem.
>>
>>144284713
>The story isn't trying to argue
Not really the story, people in the internet are. My original post was a response to one such dude.
>>144278353

>>144284765
You're giving LNs too much credit. With your logic you wouldn't be able to decide on anything because anything could be different even if it's the same. How could you say you like X food if every plate of that food could have completely different taste despite looking, smelling and being made up of the same things as every other plate?
>>
>>144284733
Enjoy never being able to garner a deeper understanding and forever living on the shallow surface of entertainment.

I'm starting to get a hangover and tired of arguing with retards.
>>
>>144284197
Betelgeuse is an insult to all the psychologists out there earning that qualification to become one.
>>
>>144273516
first post best post
>>
>>144284905
He wasn't faking it you fucking fedora tipper. He was putting Subaru's insanity on his own scale under the presumption he was Pride. Kill yourself.

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>144284905
obvious bait
>>
He's a neet with zero charisma /social skills and he's so much shit that his parents most likely want him dead. It's most likely the reasons why the witch choose him. He's lower than dirt and easily manipulable. Also, he's cursed to love Emi-tan.
>>
File: laughingbitches.jpg (78 KB, 590x333) Image search: [Google]
laughingbitches.jpg
78 KB, 590x333
>>144284915
>Psychologist degree
>Not an insult in and of itself

hah
>>
>>144285009
He's right though. From a writer perspective, the character wouldn't point that out if it wasn't at least highly accurate.
>>
>>144285051
More obvious bait now he's samefagging
>>
Anyone know where I can read more of the series?
I don't care if it's a shitty google translated LN or not, I just need more.
>>
Iunno, I'm digging it so far. Imagine if that last ending was just the ending of the anime? I'd love to see how people would take that.
>>
>>144285064
>I don't care if it's a shitty google translated LN or not, I just need more.

At that rate you are better off reading fanfiction
>>
>>144284867
>anything could be different even if it's the same
...Duh. That's what my point is.
Steamed carrots and raw carrots are different but the same.
One's hot, one's not. One's squishy and one's hard.
But they're both carrots, just different.
Same with how this anime could or might be compared to something like SAO.
>wouldn't be able to decide on anything
Decide on what? How is me deciding something relevant to our argument over whether or not how you judge Re:Zero is viable?
>>
>>144285063
That wasn't me fag.
>>
>>144285166
Nice mspaint edit
>>
>>144285125
>At that rate you are better off reading fanfiction
I bet.
Honestly I haven't felt right since the last episode, even after watching it a few times in a row. Learning moonspeak would be hard, but it might come to that.
>>
>>144285223
Let's check out what your last 4 responses have been

>How to spot an obvious troll. They say this.
>obvious bait
>More obvious bait now he's samefagging
>Nice mspaint edit

Are you even capable of actually making a point instead of resorting to buzzwords you fucking memelord?
>>
>>144285359
A lot of these threads have just been people calling each other faggots and redditors and le memers without actually contributing to the thread.
It's been like this in /a/ in general for a while
It's not likely to change anytime soon
>>
>>144285359
Nice bait bro. You just keep up that shitposting
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.