[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do modern anime have less tension?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: birdy4.jpg (272 KB, 1016x1483) Image search: [Google]
birdy4.jpg
272 KB, 1016x1483
Why has modern anime lost a lot of the suspense that used to be considered a defining of Japanese animation in the past? When you compare new action series like Kabeneri and Boku Hero Academia to something older like Gundam and Utena you notice a lot less tension with much more build up time and fluff as well as less time spent elaborating on the villains or episodic negative situation.
>>
Oh god Birdy is so sexy
>>
>why isn't every anime like the 2 series that Imwatchrd from a period of 15 years
>>
>>144194211
Because they only have 12 episodes
>>
>>144194211
You having a selection bias doesn't somehow prove that anime now is inferior to anime then in terms of "tension". All you did was compare two mediocre shows to two revered, well-known series from prolific directors.
>>
Better question: Why was the new Birdie so fucking shit?
>>
>>144194211
Well, for one, Utena isn't an action series.
>>
>>144194308
Does it not make sense that I use the 2 most recent and relevant examples?
>>
>>144194211
>12 and 12 vs 20-40 episodes

I dunno OP, there is this thing called pacing and build up that usually requires time.
>>
>>144194564
You also have to take into consideration that there are more series being made recently than in the past. Therefore it would make sense that the given series from the past are more well known as there are less series total to be known.
>>
>>144194719
No, because as >>144194564 pointed out you are comparing apples and oranges, I could just as easily take 2 random off-the-mill anime from the 90s that have been forgotten and compare it with stuff like Madoka or Penguindrum and said that old anime didn't have ani tension
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.