[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think live action western manga/anime adaptations will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: All you need is kill.jpg (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
All you need is kill.jpg
2 MB, 2880x1800
Do you think live action western manga/anime adaptations will ever be as big as super hero movies are right now.
Most of the current generation loves the Super hero movies because most of them (myself included) grew up on them and the same are not only fun for the normie masses they entertain the fans of the original work as well.

Do you think its psoible to make an Manga/Anime Live action adaptation for the west that is appealing to the Masses and the Core fans.
Or is it still to early sing as most anime Fans are probably Younger than your average comic book fan.
>>
it's unlike anything in the manga.

but in comparison with other hollywood movies at the time. This one is pretty entertaining
>>
>>144017442

A better question would be , what manga/anime could be adaptable to western audiences?

Gantz could be
>>
I don't want it to
Do it after I die
I believe virtual head wear is where the future of all entertainment is anyway
>>
I don't want to see my beloved anime and manga to be even more americanized than now, that is why moe is saving anime, really moe is too autistic and weird for your average western audience, in this way it keeps the industry isolated and full of all the things I love
>>
>>144017581
Hellsing

too bad Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead, he would've been a good Major.
>>
>>144017442
Fuck off and ruin something else and stay away from my anime.
>>
>>144017442
>Do you think its psoible to make an Manga/Anime Live action adaptation for the west that is appealing to the Masses and the Core fans.
As long as we get these incredibly loose adaptations probably not the latter. Take pic related, I love the book but the movie completely rewrites the plot and scenario so the only real elements from the book that remain are the names of some characters; and the idea of the MC having to loop the same day against an alien threat.

My biggest problem with adaptations right now is that Hollywood is going to force it's own checklist of things into the movie. Characters will be diminished in role so that the big listed actors can be more present. Costumes are changed or outright ignored. Casting is questionable, (not because of the race of actors but the actual quality) and you get the flavor of the year actors getting cast in roles they aren't really suited for.
>>
>>144017442
FSN could be pretty baller as long as they cast everyone with accurate ethnicities
>>
Don't know, don't care. I like anime and manga because they're anime and manga.
>>
File: 1468198571342.jpg (134 KB, 634x862) Image search: [Google]
1468198571342.jpg
134 KB, 634x862
>superhero movies
>already a popular genre with lots of mainstream penetration, with characters like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and the Joker being some of the most recognizable fictional characters in all of human history, and elements of their mythos penetrating the modern lexicon.

Hell, nobody gave a shit about Captain America or Iron Man before their movies but people at least had some idea they existed and it had the Marvel name attached to it.

>anime/manga
>a thing people can use for source material

People will watch Superman or Batman or whomever. Nobody's is gonna watch some movie because it's adapted from a manga. That's why we had to attach Tom Cruise to this literally what adaptation. That's why ScarJo is in Ghost in the Shell. That's why (insert name here) is in Death Note.

Japan barely gives a shit about its own manga adaptations. A live action drama like Usagi Drop is one thing but look what they did for stuff like Naruto or Attack on Titan. Yeah, half of that is just how shitty Japan's film industry is, but still.

If they get big, live action manga/anime adaptations are basically gonna be one high concept/premise with a surgical team of journeyman screenwriters and maybe one big name attached to it for publicity, paring it down and stripping away all the worst excesses until you get something remotely palatable to normal people wallets.

Pic somewhat related, it's Idris Elba in an adaptation of a Stephen King book.
>>
>>144018871
>wanting only blockbusters the plebest of pleb shit
A recent live action manga adaptation was the second place of a recent Cannes film festival.
Jap live action movies especially their Tryhard blockbusters are garbage but their auteurs make some great stuff.
>>
>>144017699

>virtual headwear

Team Fortress 2 is the future?
>>
>>144017581
Gantz would make a better tv show I think, but good shout.
I'd like so see a high budget berserk golden age.
>>
>>144018356
Anime ruins itself. Not like it need any help, anon.
>>
>>144017442
No. Batman and such have been around in the West for a long time.
>>
>>144017442
Fuck no, it's already bad enough when I have to suffer normalfags going on about Attack on Titan, Akame ga Kill or whatever other shit they are into. I want money invested on things I like, like the Garupan movie, not the kind of trash appealing to Western normalfags. You are not exactly helping bringing capeshit into the conversation. Capeshit has mostly ruined the big budget action adventure genre in movies with most of the money any given year going into them, and they are not even good, either by themselves or as adaptations.

Edge of Tomorrow was simply another Tom Cruise sci-fi action movie, regardless of where the original idea came from, that's why it was solid. It's disingenuous or naive to think of it as an adaptation first and foremost.
>>
>>144017442
Yes, eventually.
>>
>>144017442
No. Anime manga caters to Japanese ideology which Westerners don't really get at times. Any adaptation would need to be drastically altered almost to the point where it's not even close to the source material making fans bitch about it but would make western audiences give it a try.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.