[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watches Akagi and enjoys it a lot >decides to check the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14
File: ak01.jpg (467 KB, 1364x1200) Image search: [Google]
ak01.jpg
467 KB, 1364x1200
>watches Akagi and enjoys it a lot
>decides to check the manga to see what happens next
>Washizu's match is still going after more than 7 whole volumes
What the fucking shit is this?
>>
>>143945685
>Washizu's match is still going after more than 7 whole volumes

the match has lasted almost 20 years, 23 volumes. and i think its still going on
>>
>>143945685
Watched the first episode of this the other night. It was pretty cool. Should I continue watching? I generally don't like watching a series where a particular battle/match/whatever goes on for fucking ever.
>>
>>143946362
this is funny as shit
>>
File: Mahjong.jpg (11 KB, 168x198) Image search: [Google]
Mahjong.jpg
11 KB, 168x198
>>143946987
It's a really good show, but often slow and having basic knowledge of mahjong will help. It's from the same mangaka as Kaiji.
>>
>>143947268
Have not seen/read Kaiji either.
>>
>>143947518
Read it.

Anime covers only first 20+ volumes and you will want more.
>>
You should also read Ten
>>
File: HE HATES IT.jpg (188 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
HE HATES IT.jpg
188 KB, 1280x960
>>143947518
Stop what you are doing and watch Kaiji. It's one of those shows anyone on /a/ should already have seen.
>>
>>143947710
Not this guy, but I only managed to watch about 10 episodes of Kaiji before I couldn't stand the cringe. His awful choices hurt me.
>>
>>143947911
>Trusting people is cringy
Literally yakuza.

Not to mention that his choices bite his ass back.

Although, trusting Ando, a guy who literally betrayed you first chance he got, was too dumb even for me.
>>
>>143947552
>>143947710
Alright, I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>143946362
Yup. Chapters release monthly and its still going as of 3 chapters ago with no immediate end in sight due to shit pacing (literally like one draw per chapter). Which was when FKMTKrazy lost their typesetter.
>>
>>143947911
If kaiji is too stupid, he has another series called gambling emperor zero which was two completed parts so far. Its more shounen.
>>
>>143947710
I watched Kaiji after watching and enjoying Akagi a lot.

What a terrible choice. It's the same basic premise (though liar game style instead of mahjong), but Kaiji is an awful main character.

Akagi wins with skill, and when he can't win with skill he cheats, and when he can't cheat he gets lucky. That is what makes him a demon and imposing character.

Kaiji is a dumbass. He makes stupid decisions and then reaps the problems of those bad decisions, and then whines and cries about it. I cannot feel sympathy for a character who is suffering because of their own intentional and deliberate bad choices.
>>
>>143948279
I'll add on that Liar game is a similar setup and more entertaining version of Kaiji. It has legitimate problems, but maintains the pretense of intelligent characters far better.
>>
>>143948279
So, you can sympathize with Sherlock Holmes and can't sympathize with guy who makes bad decisions?

Wow, your life must be amazing and you never made a wrong choice!

Besides, Kaiji is more about hitting absolute low and bouncing back stronger than ever, like how he got Tonegawa fired in more than one way.
>>
Can we turn this into a gambling recommendation thread? We've got Akagi and Kaiji listed, theres Saki for more mahjong and lesbo. The Darby episode in Jojo, what else?
>>
>>143948468
>So, you can sympathize with Sherlock Holmes and can't sympathize with guy who makes bad decisions?
Not with a character who repeatedly makes unreasonably bad choices.

I don't have the patience for special ed. I'm just not a good enough person. But at least children in special ed have a good excuse of a genetic or developmental abnormality holding them back. Kaiji is presented as a healthy person who should by all means be of normal intelligence, but manages to act far dumber.

Many times stories will have a character who they state or have do things that would require high intelligence, but through bad writing they fail to make it believable to the reader and so it's hard for readers to accept them as a character. Kaiji has the opposite problem where the show has him do things of very low intelligence, but I fail to believe how anyone without a disability could be that dumb. I cannot accept him as a realistic character.
>>
>>143948728
Being edgelord who doesn't trust people =/= intelligence.

Asian trio shall rise up to Kazuya's challenge, you'll see.
>>
>>143948769
Not gambling, but Hikaru no Go is about the game of Go and does a very nice job of presenting and teaching about the game in the same way that Akagi presents and teaches a little about Mahjong.

For straight up gambling, I mentioned Liar Game earlier. It's a pretty good series with the same basic concept as Kaiji.
>>
File: Kaiji GL Eyecatch.jpg (92 KB, 639x477) Image search: [Google]
Kaiji GL Eyecatch.jpg
92 KB, 639x477
>>143948782
>Kaiji is presented as a healthy person who should by all means be of normal intelligence
Are you dense? Kaiji is presented as a procrastinator, a young adult with zero ambition, and a gambling addict. Rational action was never meant to define him as a character. His qualities, however negative, are what make him interesting.

Akagi is interesting because he is not a normal human being. He acts like a sociopath; devoid of emotion. It's more interesting to watch his "victims" to see how they react, rather than his unwavering calm. Kaiji on the other hand has many of the problems your average person experiences. Many viewers can relate to at least one of his flaws, and sympathize with his poor decision-making as a result. If there is anything unrealistic about Kaiji, it's his ability to turn things around when he is at rock bottom. That is an uncommon thing, which the manga addresses by showing all the miserable failures around him who never manage to escape their terrible decisions.

Kaiji is the underdog. Clever, daring, and brilliant only when backed into a corner. These things make him interesting, and watching him grow steadily more cynical is both entertaining and spooky, given the naive way he acts early in the manga.
>>
>>143948769
>Darby

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
>>
>>143945685
Read Ten. Akagi is in it too but it takes place after the washizu match. Has a really good ending and goes a lot into his character.

Also im digging all the FKMT im seeing tonight
>>
>>143949691
> Kaiji is presented as a procrastinator, a young adult with zero ambition, and a gambling addict.
Yes, but that's not the part that bothers me.
>Clever, daring, and brilliant only when backed into a corner
But he isn't. He is dumber than the average person, whiny, and cowardly.

Unfortunately it's been too long since I've watched the show so I cannot give specific examples. But I do remember watching him make what was clearly a bad move, getting punished for doing so, and then freaking out about it.
>>
File: Kaiji_on_Welfare.jpg (535 KB, 1200x827) Image search: [Google]
Kaiji_on_Welfare.jpg
535 KB, 1200x827
>>143950421
>...watching him make what was clearly a bad move
What part of "gambling addict" isn't clear here? Addicts don't see the negative consequences of their actions, just some illusory reward that they can't help but chase after. Having read the whole manga, I can tell you that this aspect of Kaiji never goes away even after he improves in other ways, and it keeps leading him into dangerous situations.

>He is dumber than the average person, whiny, and cowardly
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Kaiji is clever, but extremely naive in the earlier parts of the series. Many of the strategies he crafts up are fantastic, but he always fails to see where other people can fuck him over (until later in the manga.) He's a social fuckup, but that doesn't have anything to do with intelligence as you seem to be defining it.

And cowardly? He's the complete opposite of that. He stands up for his friends, he defends people he thinks deserve help, and even risks his life to enforce his convictions. Kaiji is an extraordinarily brave manga protagonist. It's part of what gets him into trouble with so many deceiving, cowardly villains.
>>
I have some family that lives right next to Vegas, and watching them struggle with their gambling addiction is really hard. They just don't realize how badly the odds are stacked against them. They always think that 'this time will be different, I've been practicing' or whatever, and refuse to accept that the few times they have won was literally just dumb luck, and they lose way way more money then they ever win. In this sense, Kaiji is very realistic
Still fun to read gambling mangas though.
>>
File: 07.png (851 KB, 1972x1400) Image search: [Google]
07.png
851 KB, 1972x1400
Why are all mahjong series drawn out over a ridiculously long period of time?
>>
File: 31742.jpg (48 KB, 225x319) Image search: [Google]
31742.jpg
48 KB, 225x319
Thoughts on Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa?
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-02-27 16.11.29.png (408 KB, 775x728) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-02-27 16.11.29.png
408 KB, 775x728
>>143951655
Yeah, the portrayal of gambling addiction in Kaiji is very realistic. Even when he improves throughout the manga, he can never stop gambling. And it doesn't seem like something he enjoys either. In Part 3, he laughs at Muraoka for saying that he's getting a rush from playing. He's not playing for a sense of enjoyment, he just wants to gamble because it's all he knows how to do. He can't live a life outside gambling. I wonder, if Kaiji ever beats the president, will he keep his promise of never gambling again? Or will he continue to gamble all of his money away even after he wins against Hyodo?
>>
>>143947911
That's what I love about Kaiji as a character. He's a gambling addict who's only able to think critically when he's pinned against a wall. As soon as there's no more pressure on him, he sinks back into a state of mind where he can carelessly make poor decisions until consequences arise once again.
>>
File: WantWoman.jpg (145 KB, 290x485) Image search: [Google]
WantWoman.jpg
145 KB, 290x485
>>143952281
a fucking fantastic manga. perhaps one of the better ever. everyone i know that has read it, cried by the ending.

the New Kurosawa series is funny, but not as heavy hitting as Legend.
>>
>>143945685
Washizu's arc has been going on forever, just read Ten instead
>>
>>143952308
When Fukamoto actually gets to the part when Kaiji beats Kazutaka

>Implying Fukamoto will ever stop writing about same night he started in Part 3
But I digress, when he actually beats Kazutaka, it'd be fantastic to see Kaiji dealing with the fact that he achieved his goal, what now?
>>
>>143953972
Gamble against Hyodou and lose everything again.
At the end of the story Kaiji is back to square one.

That or the last part is a hard hitting drama about Kaiji going to gamblers anonymous.
>>
For those here who play mahjong, Osamuko is holding a pair tournament.

http://osamuko.com/osamuko-otp-tournament/
>>
>>143945685
>Akagi chills out a LOT, and actually has FRIENDS now. He plays golf with them in Hawaii. He's really rich and makes people bring him a tray of fugu in the middle of the night because he's hungry, eats one piece and then tells them to eat the rest.

Reminder that the Akagi wiki is amazing.
>>
File: 188and189.png (3 MB, 1600x1142) Image search: [Google]
188and189.png
3 MB, 1600x1142
>>143953972
Well, if there is one thing I can definitely give Fukamoto props for, it's his endings. The endings to Ten, Kurosawa, and Buraiden Gai were all very well done and satisfying. Whatever he ends up doing, it's sure to be entertaining.
>>
>>143948279
That's why people love Kaiji though. He's a regular dude who fucks up now and then. He doesn't pull through with luck, but with amazing critical thinking while under pressure.
>>
>>143954160
The scary part is that Fukamoto probably has an ending for Kaiji, and he's been leading to it this whole time starting in 1996.

I am not even going to bother with how scary he got with Akagi.
>>
>>143954133
>The angle of his nose is approximately 32º
the more you know
>>
NANTOKA NARE
>>
>>143945685
It's the privilege of mahjong mangaka.
>>
>>143951857
Because you can just keep writing as long as you're not bored of writing mahjong. So why not? And if your name is Ritz you draw it out more by injuring yourself and shit.
Naki no Ryuu is pretty short though, just 9 volumes. But then there's the gaiden with another 9.
>>
>>143946362
Holy shit. That's actually hilarious.
>>
RON RON RON AHAHAHAHA AKAGI YOU FUCKED UP THIS TIME I WIN

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT OLD MAN ? LOOK CLOSELY ON THE RIGHT ROW OF CHINESE SIGNS

AAAAAAAAAAH IT'S CHING CHONG LING PING TILE OH MA GAD

BBUT YOU CAN ONLY BEAT MY HAND IF YOU HAVE TWELVE PONGYANG LONG FACING THE EAST

I DO

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH AKAGIIIIIIIIII
>>
File: Mahjong.jpg (2 MB, 2376x2104) Image search: [Google]
Mahjong.jpg
2 MB, 2376x2104
>>143959063
>me reading akagi
>>
>>143946987
The anime ends well and the matches in it are great.
>>
>>143959063
Reminds me of that Atama hane vs Washizu
>>
Why can't this motherfucker learn to pace?
>>
What the fuck happened to Sonickrazy? I miss my FKMT chapters.
>>
>>143948211
is the second part of gambling emperor zero translated fully?
>>
>>143960651
I've heard a theory that the magazine Akagi runs in, Kindai Mahjong Time, is putting pressure on FKMT to stretch it out because Akagi is the biggest name in their magazine. It's probably not true though, just FKMT's way of doing things.

>>143961282
As >>143948146 says, they've "lost" their typesetters. See their twitter for the official statement: https://twitter.com/fkmtkrazy

>>143962116
Yeah, Hox is a reliable guy.
You could very easily have looked up this information yourself.
Try mangaupdates.com next time.
>>
It's fucking awesome isn't it?
>>
>>143950118
I thought the OVA was better anyway
>>
>>143952281

The second part is ok but damn I really liked the first part. May be my favorite fkmt manga.
>>
File: 1348322793054.png (245 KB, 390x411) Image search: [Google]
1348322793054.png
245 KB, 390x411
I don't know shit about mahjong but I love Akagi and Saki.
>>
>>143945685
I'm still waiting for S2.
>>
>>143963439
Watch Legendary Gambler Tetsuya if you want some more Mahjong anime.
>>
>>143963453
Pachinko best case scenario.
>>
>>143963453
Nah, S2 would just be Washizu mahjong with no end. We need a Ten adaptation.
>>
Anyone else find the mahjong in Ten boring? There's absolutely no tension.
>>
>>143959419
At this point I'm convinced he's just fucking with us.
>>
>>143963453
There IS a live action which is solely Washizu-arc and goes beyond where the anime ends.
>>
>>143948146
Probably only about 3 more chapters to go in that arc, though, not including epilogue.
>>
>>143963439
Don't know about Saki, but back when Akagi aired almost nobody knew how to play mahjong yet everyone loved it, me included.

I've heard that if you know Mahjong is even better, but I couldn't tell.
>>
>>143959419
That's by far the best of all the tributes, fucker somehow captured the whole feeling of the entire series in just a couple pages.
>>
>>143948279
>That is what makes him a demon and imposing character.
No, it is what makes Akagi a Gary Stu. We just don't mind it since the atmosphere is great.

If put in the same situations, do you think you'd be more of a Kaiji or an Akagi?
>>
>>143963327
David dropped the ball on those arcs. Thank fuck Duwang has been god-tier so far.
>>
>>143948769
>Darby episode in Jojo
If you're doing stuff like that then the first 59 chapters of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga are okay.
>>
>>143963196
I wouldn't be surprised, seems like Akagi is the big name on most of the magazine's covers
>>
>>143963439
Hidamari x Akagi crossover when ?
>>
Zero part 3 fucking when

I hope FKMT didn't forget about it

the amusement park shit was probably my favorite part in any fkmt gambling manga.
>>
File: _F_013.jpg (141 KB, 1200x1719) Image search: [Google]
_F_013.jpg
141 KB, 1200x1719
>>143968149
http://exhentai.org/s/9d8c14fd99/23131-13
>>
I recently finished both seasons of Kaiji, and I'm not sure if I want to continue with the manga because S2 ended on such a happy note. Is it worth it?
>>
>>143968335
Yes.
>>
>>143968185
>latest release: Chapter 70
>7 years ago

Holy shit you mean there hasn't been a single chapter since I caught up with it?
>>
>>143968335
I'm tempted to look into it because I heard he plays mahjong at some point and I want to read that.
>>
This is why Kaiji is better.
>>
File: 1436015507511.png (400 KB, 450x720) Image search: [Google]
1436015507511.png
400 KB, 450x720
I actually liked Akagi more then Kaiji but I'm wondering if thats because I only just finished Akagi and watched Kaiji quite a while ago. Does he ever get washisitztuzs to bet his life against him? Or does it stay with the money thing
>>
>>143948279
Kaiji's suffering makes him moe.
>>
>>143947518
Watch it then read it then watch it again and then read it. skim the mahjong part if need be but for the love of god keep reading.
>>
>tfw too lazy to learn mahjong so I can watch Akagi

watched it once years ago, didn't understand shit
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.