[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the chances of KyoAni's movie getting an international
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 9781632360588.jpg (545 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
9781632360588.jpg
545 KB, 1500x2250
What are the chances of KyoAni's movie getting an international theatrical release?

+ Would it come to the UK?

I know big stuff like When Marnie Was There gets a proper cinema screening over here, in fact Picture House cinemas did a little marathon of Ghibli films with subs, but I'm not sure this film is high profile enough to be seen in the cinema, let alone anywhere near the same time as its Nip release. Thoughts?
>>
>>143864405
The chances don't seem too high sadly.
>>
>>143864529
>>143864529
Shame, though it is very rare to get anime released in cinema in the UK.
>>
>>143864405
If Kizu couldn't make screens in the UK what makes you think some obscure shit like this would?
>>
>>143864898
Even the latest Hosoda film didn't get any kind of distribution outside a few showings at anime festivals. I asked about Kizu to whoever has the Monogatari rights on twitter ages ago and they said it wasn't happening.
>>
>>143864898
>>143864979
There must be at least enough of an audience for a limited release in major cities? Why is anime specifically so poorly released internationally?
>>
>>143865028
I'm sure there would be for some things. I've been to almost every Ghibli film at the cinema this summer and they are always packed. For popular franchises they would definitely get a full house in most decent sized cities.
>>
>>143865028

Seriously. How disastrous to the bottom line could just a weekend's worth of showings be to the bottom line?

Just replace your oldest or poorest selling movie with something novel like this for a weekend and I'm sure you'd make more than the other thing would have.

Plus, movie tickets aren't even their highest grossing thing.

I know there's probably all sorts of corporate, distribution rights horse shit to cut through, but c'mon, man. I wanna watch some Chinese cartoons on the big screen.
>>
>>143864405
We probably wont. Tell me if I'm wrong but we don't seem to even get anime on TV any more.
>>
I'm going to ask my local indie theater to try and get it over.

Wonder if some people would bother coming to the Welsh countryside just to see some deaf moe.
>>
It would be nice to finally get to show good anime to the west.
>>
>>143865028
There is.

Just UK don't give a fuck about anime.

US and other places like Germany and France get shit and especially Mexico.
>>
Now that I think of it, this is the perfect Oscar bait. I wonder if they have any interest in a bigger release just for that.
>>
The writing is too terrible for western critics to care about it anyway. It's just dumb manga bullshit
>>
File: 1436885514328.jpg (86 KB, 604x558) Image search: [Google]
1436885514328.jpg
86 KB, 604x558
>>143864405
>exports to the UK
Best joke I've heard all week.
>>
>>143865097
>>143865266
I personally know a bunch of people who went to my local picturehouse cinema for the first time because of the Ghibli marathon. In my town picturehouse theatres are mainly packed with old people but there was a healthy amount of young people in attendance when Laputa and Grave of the Fireflies played. That's an audience that will now return to picturehouse because:
1) they're now aware of the competence of the cinema
2) they know they actually screen decent/young people shit
3) it's about £3 cheaper than ODEON or Vue

It's literally the exact same concept as the E4 Slackers free screenings they do every month, the only reason I go to picturehouse is because those screenings introduced me to the cinema. The only way a brand like picturehouse could survive is by offering indie, youth-orientated obscure stuff like Koe no Katachi. What are they playing today?
>Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie 15:30 18:00 20:30
>Maggie's Plan 16:00 18:30 20:45
it's such bullshit.
>>
File: 1467986217909.jpg (42 KB, 485x485) Image search: [Google]
1467986217909.jpg
42 KB, 485x485
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSXEsoT-ZI
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.