[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Shounen >MC's special move is just a generic flurry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
>Shounen
>MC's special move is just a generic flurry of fast punches
>Anime and Manga are huge successes

Fist of The North Star, JoJo, One Piece, etc.

Has this formula failed before? Why can they get away with this?
>>
That chocolate looks fucking good.
>>
nice orange. can I have a slice?
>>
>>143806640
it looks cool, especially when animated well. I'm going to need you to give more examples before I believe that that's the sole factor for those series' success though
>>
>>143806640
>a manga or anime's success should be based on the special move of the MC
What are you smoking?
>>
>>143806640
Simple, straightforward powers like punching are good for battle shounen MCs. Anything too unique will make them look like a Gary Stu, and anything too complex will be hard to write because it can be inflexible and limited. Generic powers can be used in nearly any situation. It also suits the simple personalities so many MCs have and can make for pretty impactful moments.

The really creative powers work best with side characters.
>>
>>143806640
because it's cool
>>
File: Yukine-crying.gif (980 KB, 500x264) Image search: [Google]
Yukine-crying.gif
980 KB, 500x264
>>143806640

Shounen anime/manga speaks to everyone's dreams. You start out with an ordinary boy and you grow him into a hyper-talent. Most people spend their entire childhood dreaming of being amazing at something.... shounen lets everyone go back and imagine that its them.

While the general themes may be the same with the protagonist... the worlds they come up with and the lessons taught are always vastly different. Honestly, its the only genre of anime I enjoy. For everything else you can just watch fucking better American TV shows and movies.
>>
>>143806640
Well I don't know about special moves, but JoJo has tons of more elaborate powers later on. Giorno, Jolyne, Johnny, and Josuke all have much less physically powerful Stands, so they instead use their powers to allow them to defeat their opponents. Sure, that's a signature technique, but it's less about the punches and more about how they use their resources to allow them to do it.
>>
>>143806739
MCs generally have more physical abilities than other characters

>Bleach
Ichigo hits things with a really heavy sword, then powers up to hit things with a sword really fast

>Nanatsu no Taizai
Meliodas basically has Goku powers while everyone else has something interesting

>Shingeki no Kyojin
Eren's titan is shit.

>SAO
Kirito's only move is HAIYAI

>Accel World
Fatty can only fly and punch

>Tales (they have animu)
No mages allowed for MC

>Berserk
'nuff said

>>143807004
>Giorno, Jolyne, Johnny, and Josuke all have much less physically powerful Stands

But they would never have Emerald Splash or Sticky Fingers. Gappy is the only exception, but he only uses S&W to get people into a scenario where he can doradora them
>>
>>143806640
I don't know what you're on about but damn you for making me want a chocolate orange when there aren't any in stores around here.
>>
>>143807055
>Berserk
>'nuff said
you what
>>
>>143807055
I dunno, Sticky Fingers is more or less the same kind of stand as Gold Experience. Both specialize in physical rush attacks as well as constructing. Tusk didn't even punch until Act 4, and Josuke rarely uses Soft and Wet to actually kill or assault enemies directly. He drowned Yagiyama, poisoned the twins with their own gas while Karera set them on fire, and decked Tamaki in the face with his own hands.
>>
>>143806862

>The really creative powers work best with side characters

I never thought of that, but you're right.

Maybe that's why Boku no Hero Academia can get away with so many interesting superpowered shenanigans. The author has probably had these ideas in a hat waiting for the generic successful anime he could get.
>>
>>143806640
Did you miss the part where one of those MC's caused his opponent's bodies to explode after he punched them, the other had a mystical spirit guardian that gave him all kinds of wacky effects, and the third one was made of rubber?

Did you miss the part where all three of the characters in question had entertaining personalities and stories, especially for the target audience--young boys?

Did you miss the part where there can be more to battle shonens than battle, more to a story than energetic set-pieces, and more to a character than a single facet?
>>
>>143807895
>Did you miss the part where there can be more to battle shonens than battle, more to a story than energetic set-pieces, and more to a character than a single facet?
No but apparently the authors did
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.