[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is Light considered a Gary Stu /a/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 8
So is Light considered a Gary Stu /a/?
>>
But he was outplayed and died.
>>
Nah, that'd be Ryuk.
>>
>>143776866
>made dumber to lose
Ftfy

Everything after L is filler.
>>
>>143776849
He thought he was, the only reason he outplayed L was because L couldn't prove anything with concrete evidence.
>>
>>143777207
So? He works in the Law. He knew this from the get go.
>>
>>143777757
L was smarter but was working at a disadvantage.

Light proved in his outbursts of craziness and in his final moments that he isn't as cool as he thinks he is. being perfect is just a persona he plays, he's mostly crazy and super lucky.
>>
>>143776849
Gary Stus are characters that have everything handed to them on a silver platter without that character working for those benefits. Light was in-universe considered good looking, was raised in a nurturing household and studied hours every single day of his school life. So his benefits made sense in context.
>>
>>143778232
>super lucky
>a random Shinigami happens to give a dumb girl who's madly in love with Kira a death note and she almost gets them both arrested
>the FBI agent tailing is coincidentally engaged to a former FBI agent that worked under L, and L decides he got to know this woman enough that there's no way she just left or something, it must have been Kira
>part of the police force deicide to unconditionally trust L even though that trust was absolute bullshit
>facing off against a guy who had pretty much unlimited resources
>Misa gets arrested moments after seeing L
>Misa forgets L's name
The amount of stuff against him is complete bullshit and L zoning in on Light is insane and even illogical
Obviously he was right but he kept Light literally chained to him and Misa under constant surveillance even though he had absolutely nothing on Light and almost nothing on Misa
If Light was "super lucky" L would have died in a car crash
>>
If Light had just ignored L and killed people from his bedroom without hacking police databases and such he would've been fine. How do you find a single man in a country, without a single hint of who he is?
>>
>>143778809
>in a country
If he actually ignored L there was no way for L to find out he was even in Kanto
Just by doing that L went from having to find someone in a population of 7 billion to a population of 40 million
>>
>>143778518
L was at a complete disadvantage when they first met which was incredibly lucky and making light apart of the investigation was even more luck
>He barely suspected Light
>Was almost completely at Lights mercy
>He had no idea if he'd be playing into Kira's hands or not.

Pile that on with all the dead ends he kept running into because Light was so close to him and you get a good picture of how much luck actually played into Light killing L and getting away with it.

Light was actually incredibly lucky that he met L the way he did or L would have more room to zone in on him.

Misa was both lucky and unlucky any more crazy and she would've got them caugh, any less crazy and she would've seen how dangerous he was and would've killed him. The only two death note users he ran into both
>would never use his secret against him
>were easy to manipulate

The police also had no real options, it was either trust L or get nowhere.
>>
>>143779071
L could not be at a disadvantage when he met Light, he planned the meeting
He decided to meet Light and introduce himself as L
He also explained why he let Light in the squad, if Light was Kira he could have slipped up and had if he wasn't he was just one more ally, and he actually used him, like when Light stupidly agreed that there was a second Kira for example
Misa could have still been crazy, that doesn't mean she had to go and be stupid, she could have asked Rem to talk to Light's Shinigami and explain a bunch of things
If there's a gary stu in death note it's L, he's still a great character actually but he's just unbelievably perfect, I mean remember how he got a perfect score on the same exam Light spent months studying for?
And the cops who decided to work with him could have also said no like all the others did, because being investigated like that is frankly unacceptable
>>
>>143776849
Gayry stu
>>
He screws up too much.
>>
The whole Rem killing L still didn't make much sense to me. I know Rem cared for Misa but risking her life for hers seemed unnatural. Although, I suppose it can happen given what happened with the shinigami that saved her last time. I thought it was a cop out for killing L though.
>>
>>143779349
He didn't have any real backup plan if light just didn't slip up or if Light just straight up killed him right away and L didn't take anything like the Shinigami eyes into account, he was pretty much working in the dark during that whole meeting.

Light only had to not freak out and that was it, L had to turn that meeting into his advantage by looking for ways for Light to slip up.

L isn't a gary stu.

he was designed to be unnatractive, listless, listless weirdo with a sweet-tooth, Light was basically his only friend ever and the only person he ever connected with on any sort of leve.

a gary stu has tons of friends, super smarts and basically excels at everything.
>>
File: DeathNoteEspecial-01-rem.png (389 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
DeathNoteEspecial-01-rem.png
389 KB, 1280x720
Rem has had a hard afterlife.
>>
>>143779596
It was really dumb
I mean how difficult can it be to invite Misa over, they don't suspect her right, just don't order Misa to start killing people and she can come in look at him and then kill him
Light just wanted Rem out of the way, but he was dumb because having a friendly Shinigami is one hell of a big help
And yes, L is a gary stu, he's rich, super smart, a phenomenal athlete even though he only eats sweets, remember how he's a super good tennis player, or knows capoeira for no reason?
He's also very attractive with really good looking hair despite putting absolutely no effort in it, and he had friends at that orphanage
>>
>>143776866
actually he lost to two people working together(remember Mello sacrificed himself to give near the edge against Kira), when it was 1 vs. 1 Light won(Misa, that other girl, Teru, Rem etc. are all pawns not partners for Light, thus they don't count)
>>
>>143780066
>because having a friendly Shinigami is one hell of a big help
not really, because if they can't use their deathnote they can't do much. The few things they can do, Ryuk is enough for that.
There might be a few other things they could do, however that would require a bigger partnership then Rem would be willing to offer for Light

Not only that, to Light Rem was an enemy as well, because Rem actually wanted to kill Light since the beginning because she hated his guts and feared he might be bad news to Misa, and only didn't do so because Misa asked her not to. Meaning Light was forced to, to become Misas lover forever with the fear of a deathnote behind your neck.

Getting rid of Rem was the best choice for Light(not only that, it also got him a second deathnote to spare)
>>
>>143780843
Or he could have had Misa kill L and Watari, and decide to play house with Misa
He could just say something about the experience and Misa's determination that made him love her and Rem is his full ally, unlike Ryuk who's only in it for the laughs and the excitement
I mean in the second season it's unfair how much advantage Light would have had
Instead of needing Mikami he has Rem who would have helped him no problem and would have been his ace in the whole in the final showdown since she could have just finished everyone off in Mikami's place with a 100% chance of success
>>
>>143776866
You mean nerfed for the sake of being killed.
>>
>>143781123
He wasn't nerfed, Near just had L's work to build off of and no moral restrictions.
>>
Main character generally don't fall under Mary Su/Gary Stu categories since they're the protagonist and are considered special from every other character.
>>
>>143781123
That ending was so stupid
>so basically Mikami, what you do is you come over and you peek from the door and then kill everyone
>but won't they get suspicious of the door being opened and someone looking through it?
>no because my keikaku will make them think you're harmless
>won't they get suspicious if you don't react to them not trying to stop me?
>can't you just send the police since they're on your side?
>or leak the meeting place to a bunch of Kira supporters and I'll lead a mob of people and kill them the old fashioned way
>or maybe just go there with nothing to hide and a hidden camera, so you can take pictures of them and then send them to me, or hell even put them online, they have nothing on you anyway
>or try get your guys to arrest Near for having a death note?
>>
nah, he gets outplayed by L constantly, L only loses because he is autistic >MUH 100% PROOF and because he isn't aware there is a second shinigami that would have an incentive to protect light

S2 is p.dumb especially with how he loses, the detective things should have ended with L
>>
>>143781851
>MUH 100% PROOF
That is the only way to do stuff
Besides he tortured Misa and put Light in forced isolation and then chained Light to him
That is completely unlawful and not to mention would make the entire proceeding meaningless
>>
>>143781765
He was playing into Nears hands so he could outsmart him with a death note that was already fake and get the last laugh.

Basically his obsession over outplaying Near kept him from approaching the situation where he'd absolutely get away with it.
>>
>>143782098
No anon, it's called shit author doing shit writing just so he could kill Light.
>>
>>143782178
This
>>
>>143776903
>>143781123
>>143781765
The whole point of the ending was to show that Light was defeated not by superior planning on the part of Near/Mello, but by his own hubris. He claimed himself the god of the new world, but was just as human and arrogant as the rest of us. There were plenty of alternatives that he could have been done, but Light wanted to see Near's death personally and wanted to personally laugh in his face when as he died.
>>
>>143782178
I think it was fine, Light got cocky like he always does. That mixed with his resentment toward Near "Succeeding L" throwing him into a risky situation culminating with a huge last laugh moment for him.

The only shit part of the second half was the Kira task-force not entirely suspecting Light the second he got accused AGAIN.
>>
>>143776849
He'd only be one if he had won in the end.
>>
>>143782098
>his obsession

So Raito is not Gary Stu, since he has this humane flaw in his character. He is smart but that smartness makes him super arrogant. And in the end it was his demise.
>>
>>143781667

Tell that to Duke Tougo
>>
>>143782316
And he couldn't have called the cops that were clearly on his side and have them storm the warehouse?
>cops lead by Mikami come in and point their guns at everyone
>everyone is forced to comply
>Mikami identifies Light and now Light is charge of all the cops
>Light takes his death note from Aizawa and personally kills them all as Mikami follows him around
>Light can now laugh in Near's dying face
>>
>>143782381
Therefore Lelouch is not a Gary Stu?
>>
>>143782178
Doesn't matter whether the author is shit or not, that's what happened.
>>
>>143782498
I never got interested enough to actually watch that anime but if Lelouch wanted to die or had planned to die or something similar then he wasn't actually defeated by dying since he got what he wanted. But I can't really say much since I didn't watch it.
>>
>Beyond Birthday, born with Shinigami Eyes

Why are the spinoffs so shit
>>
>>143782774
Well the main series was pretty shit, so it's understandable.
>>
>>143782774
What's wrong with that to create an antagonist?
>>
File: 1467808504152.jpg (207 KB, 460x1951) Image search: [Google]
1467808504152.jpg
207 KB, 460x1951
>>143776849
Don't worry guys. Netflix is going to make Death Note great again.
>>
>>143783333
Of all characters to make black for no reason, L has to be the most hilarious.
>>
>>143783333
Why do they do this shit?
You'd think they'd make something good if they wanted to make money, or just fund a fucking original series and let the studio decide what it does with it

MANGLOBE was great whenever they did original series, but mediocre on just about every single adaptation for example
>>
>>143783333
Fucking quads for this?
>>143783441
>L now eats watermelons
Why is Watari is asian now?
Light is ugly, Mia? is not even cute
This is gonna be worse than imaginable, I feel sorry for the people who actually watch it
>>
>>143783548
>L eats watermelon and fried chicken instead of sweets
I'd watch it for that
>>
>>143783333
Just avoid literally all live action Death Note adaptations and pretend they don't exist. Don't watch any of them, not the multiple Japanese movies, not the L spin off movie, not the drama series, and this too.
>>
>>143783333
>It's from the guy that wrote the Fantastic Four reboot
>>
>>143783333
I don't mind, actually.
It wouldn't work as well on screen and la showed that. Changing character doesn't bother me if they make up for that with the story.
>>
>>143782497
Light was L, and his identity was essentially a sworn secret. The police force had no knowledge of him heading of the Task Force, and would Light taking back the Death Note not look suspicious as fuck.

And again, it wouldn't have mattered. Near is confirmed to have "cheated," which probably means he ended up using the Death Note to manipulate Mikami.
>>
>>143783932
The point is that in that moment Light reveals to everyone that he had L killed and that he is Kira
The police is on his side and when he kills his enemies they'll cheer for him
>>
File: 1435171687573.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1435171687573.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>143776849
He literally had a tool that allows him to murder people without getting caught and still fucked that up because he kept responding to baits.
Hes the opposite of a gary stu.
>>
>>143783333

>L as a nigger
>Are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>143783999
Light didn't prepare for failure at all, he thought his plan was flawless which it would've been if Mikami didn't fuck up and reveal the actual Death Note without Light knowing.

He wanted to win absolutely by approaching it from Near's perspective and altering that plan to suit his needs with the information he knew.
>>
>>143784291
Which is dumb and completely out of character for Light
>>
>>143776849
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people would never get caught if they had something like a death note, regardless of who was investigating them. It's impressive how fast he got cornered, but that makes it the opposite of a Gary Stu if anything.
>>
>>143784328
Light has always been overconfident as fuck though, it's one of his defining character trait.
>>
>>143784514
But he always had a backup plan and was a master of bullshitting his way out of impossible situations
>oh L put cameras in my house?
>I'll kill people while eating potato chips
>>
>>143784328
Did you forget that Light was almost completely fucked at the very start because of Naomi? Light miscalculating happened before.
>>
>>143784805
And he spectacularly improvised and worked his way out of that situation
>>
>>143784602
Again, we are talking about a guy who made finding him actually possible by retardedly killing someone on live TV just because that person said what he was doing was evil.

Hubris makess people do dumb shit, even if they are geniuses. Light's hubris has been apparent from the moment he decided to become god of the new world.

Is this really SO hard to understand?
>>
>>143784602
He didn't have a backup plan if
>L found out there were fake rules
>Misa never got her memory back
>HE never got his memory back
>>143779596
>Rem didn't kill L he would've found out the 13th rule was fake meaning Light would've been essentially caught
>If Misa and Light died during their kidnapping
>>
>>143784856
He only found her because of luck, and got out by the seat of his pants. And again just when he thought he had won, he basically taunted her, and revealed that he was Kira all along. The seeds of Light's doom where shown in his personality long before the final confrontation.
>>
>>143780066
>He's also very attractive with really good looking hair
He's supposed to be ugly, according to the author.
Obata just didn't really make him that ugly when he drew him.
>>
He's the Mr Darcy that L always wished for.
>>
>>143784130
He fits the "first one to die" profile. Casting did nothing wrong.
>>
>>143784880
Yes, because while his plans were bombastic and over the top they were always flawless
Look at how he killed Raye Penber and the FBI agents
His final plan was nothing of the sort and just felt greatly underwhelming
>>143784894
How was L supposed to find out?
He was counting on Rem
He was counting on L, his ability and Misa's knowledge, the plan was flawless
And for L to figure out that rule he still need to wait 2 weeks, more than enough for Light to kill him
>>143784986
He was lucky in encountering her and nothing more, his taunt was more than justified
>>
>>143785378
>He was lucky in encountering her and nothing more
That's a lot of fucking luck involved in that. Had he not wandered into her, he would have had a very good chance of being shut down. He didn't account for the actions of others interfering in his plans against a target, and was nearly lost. By the same measure, Light again failed to take into account the actions of another party and actually lost because of it, because this time he didn't luck out and find the loose end in time.

> his taunt was more than justified
And that kind of thinking and hubris, is what caused him to lose.
>>
>>143782178
>shit author doing shit writing
No it isn't at all.

In the keikaku aspect, but perhaps only in that, Death Note may be the best anime ever made.
Very rarely do you get this level of introspection in the characters' reasoning (as introspection is very often about emotions instead).

In DN you can actually follow their reasons and understand their keikakus and intuitions, making even the most unbelievable of plans and discoveries seem possible.
In other anime, even the most plausible keikakus end up looking like asspulls especially if they're a major plot point, because they're often treated like magic and there's little explanation of how the MC/villain came up with it.

Not even LOGH puts the same focus on this. LOGH is a great show for many reasons, but it deals more with politics and philosophy, and personal beliefs (and it does so well).

Death Note is kind of a single-focus manga/anime that shines brightly, but only in one aspect.
This is also why it's so easy for people to shit on it.
You see, the reason most authors don't do what Ohba did is because it's easier to introduce blatant mistakes if you're this detailed, while explaining less gives more "plausible deniability": unless it's scientifically inaccurate, it's not as easy to disprove the realism of a plot that relies on plot armor and asspulls.

And in fact, Tsugumi Ohba (which is a woman's name by the way) did make some mistakes, and there's a big objective plothole in the ending (which I haven't seen anyone point out here, instead it's just vague shit-flinging and and generic shitposting), but well, mistakes happen.

It's not a perfect work, but what is? Take it for what it is. I do think it really excels in one aspect.
>>
>>143785103
That's assuming they don't change the story so Laquan wins.
>>
>>143785378
>Yes, because while his plans were bombastic and over the top they were always flawless
>Look at how he killed Raye Penber and the FBI agents
>His final plan was nothing of the sort and just felt greatly underwhelming

None of his plans were flawless. They were great, but there was always an element of luck in him succeeding.
Look at that particular Ray Penber case. He would have been in trouble if not for running into that woman.
In the end he got really arrogant and his luck ran out.
>>
>>143785628
The problem is that even the unlikely event that his plan against Misora didn't work, saying "I'm Kira" can easily be taken back, by "It was a test, to verify your reaction in the face of imminent danger, we're all risking our lives here miss, this is not a job for everyone"
>>143785739
When I'm talking about the Raye Penber killing, I mean the part where he killed a bunch of FBI agents without even doing it himself
Besides it's ridiculously unlucky for Raye, the agent that was casually assigned to him to be engaged to a former FBI agent
>>
>>143785378
He was already suspecting the 13 day rule was fake.

He could take the plunge and destroy it essentially killing Kira or proving Kira has been tampering with Death Notes he doesn't directly own.

He counts on people which is what got him killed through Mikami.

>He was counting on L, his ability and Misa's knowledge, the plan was flawless

There was no guarantee he would touch the Death Note though, especially with the added 13 day rule.

that entirely depended on luck
>>
>>143785851
>When I'm talking about the Raye Penber killing, I mean the part where he killed a bunch of FBI agents without even doing it himself
Yes, and you're forgetting how he would have been in trouble if Raye's wife had not casually walked into him. And that's precisely why his plan wasn't perfect.
He hadn't taken into account how Ray might have talked about his job to someone else.
Light was always more lucky, but he screwed up in the end.
>>
>>143782178
This. It wasn't light's hubris making him stupid, it was the author's writing. I would have been fine with light dying for being to cocky, but in this case there were a million better ways of going about it, see >>143781765
>>
>>143782498
Lelouch does things in a less intelligent manner than light does, and still succeeds. That's what makes him a Gary Stu.
>>
>>143784130
considering it's an american reversion and that light yagami is now light turner i really don't see what's wrong with that besides epic /pol/ memes
>>
>>143785881
Suspecting was only because he was obsessed with Light and he hated being proven wrong, which is something only L had
Remember that plan L wanted to do about making a guy write in the death note and then wait 14 days?
L still needed the approval of the rest of the team and there was no way they were gonna agree, especially after the shit he pulled with Misa and Light and being proven wrong
Taking the plunge was something he would never have done and nobody would have agreed
He never put so much faith in anyone besides Mikami and it was dumb for Mikami to slip up like that, if Kiyomi had a piece of the death note on his person, why couldn't Mikami have it on him as well? It makes sense but he doesn't do it for absolutely no reason
And he was beyond sure they were gonna catch the new Kira, L and him together were unbeatable
>>143785954
Which is an incredibly unlucky and improbable circumstance
Remember that she even worked under L, I mean holy what were the fucking odds? It simply balanced out in the end
>>
>>143780066
But he's a villain. He's literally a stereotypical villain. L is the protagonist and even he's not a gary stu.

Villains can't be gary stus. It's an entirely different context.
>>
>>143776849
See
>>143786434
>>
>>143786434
L is a gary stu
He's literally perfect
>>
>>143786434
>But he's a villain. He's literally a stereotypical villain. L is the protagonist and even he's not a gary stu.
>Villains can't be gary stus. It's an entirely different context.

L is clearly not the protagonist. I don't know how you got this idea, but if you think the villain can't be the MC and that the antagonist (which does not imply villain) has to be evil, you are wrong.
There's lots of evil protagonists fighting against justice in actual literature.

That said, you are right on Light not being a Gary Stu.
An evil character can't be a gary stu, at least if you go with the actual origin of the term mary sue and not the memetic /a/ meaning of the term (which goes beyond "literally perfect" or whatever the meme is).
>>
>>143785851
>saying "I'm Kira" can easily be taken back
Light didn't plan for that, and even if he did, that's just stupid because the smarter thing to do would have been to keep his mouth shut. Again, there was no advantage in saying that, he just did it to feed his ego, which ended up being his downfall.
>>
>>143786622
The meaning term derives from Mary Sue and Star Trek parody, where Mary Sue is a teenage super genius who is literally perfect and outshines all more experienced people, actually everyone, all the time
>>
>>143786133
>Remember that plan L wanted to do about making a guy write in the death note and then wait 14 days?
>L still needed the approval of the rest of the team and there was no way they were gonna agree, especially after the shit he pulled with Misa and Light and being proven wrong

From the way he was talking plans were already underway, he wasn't talking or acting like he needed anyone's approval.

>And he was beyond sure they were gonna catch the new Kira, L and him together were unbeatable

They were but there was no backup plan for if, for example it was only touched by L or anyone else and he made copies.
>>
>>143782498
Lelouch has some weaknesses, namely his physical incompetence, and his plan crippling love for his sister.
>>
>>143786857
>pulling that shit without anyone's approval
You can't do that, it's beyond illegal, and L was already knee deep in shit for the Misa crap he pulled
Seriously Light could have called the police for torturing his gf
L was the greatest detective ever, he was also pretty good, and Rem was on their side, there was no chance of failure
>>
>>143786845
I know where it comes from but you are wrong.
She is also a hero and she ends up dying heroically for everyone's sake.
Neither of these things are part of light's character.
Maybe L, but he did fail.
A Mary Sue has to be morally superior too, not just more powerful.
Otherwise it's not a Mary Sue
>>
>>143787466
So L
He's everything, even the dying heroically because he wins in the end through Near
>>
>>143787608
That's not him winning.
L is more of a Mary Sue but not quite.
He loses because of bad luck, sure, but he loses.
And N's plan is N's not his.
N wins in the end (thanks to M's help), not L.
L still fails.
His death is heroic, but it's hardly him sacrificing himself to defeat the villain, since that's not the effect he has.
His death can't be seen as anything but a failure, while at least Mello's actually leads to helping N who would have lost otherwise.
>>
>>143787398
It's virtually harmless as it was for criminals that were being executed anyway and he's done way crazier shit, I think he could get approval.

I'm pretty sure Light completely forgave him for the whole torture thing.

Also Part of why he had so much faith in Mikami was because he never slipped up until that point, Mikami was completely professional with a crazy side that didn't completely shine
>>
>out of all the cops who had sons Light was the first student to be stalked on
>>
>>143787741
I see what you mean, I guess you're right
L is almost a Mary Sue
>>
>>143787398
>You can't do that, it's beyond illegal, and L was already knee deep in shit for the Misa crap he pulled
He wasn't. This isn't a normal situation.
All politicians were essentially held hostage by Kira and the world was being controlled by his actions.
It's true that they did everything not to openly support L's investigation, but the ruling class was obviously more than willing to turn a blind eye to anything if it meant defeating their greatest enemy. I mean think about it.
I think L could have called for Light's execution without any proof and they would have done it anyway, maybe not openly though.
What's one japanese student disappearing compared to the risk those politicians face everyday of being killed?
You think they wouldn't do that?
>>
>>143787742
It's irresponsible because you're doing this expecting the plan to fail and you're about to release a criminal worthy of the death penalty
And it's nonsense that Light forgives him
I get that they wanted to show Light's good side but really?
50 days of torture for Misa and and complete isolation for Light and nobody bats an eye?
What the fuck?
All of that based on clues and circumstantial evidence no-less
Yeah Mikami being stupid was really uncharacteristic, Light couldn't have known he'd act that stupidly
Also
>Giovanni made a 1:1 copy of a magical notebook in one night
This was just so dumb
>>143787993
The politicians all decided to leave Kira alone, they were acting without police support
Remember that the cops resigned
Politicians were scared of opposing Kira
>>
>>143788324
>The politicians all decided to leave Kira alone, they were acting without police support
>Remember that the cops resigned
>Politicians were scared of opposing Kira
I mentioned that, what I said is that they could have easily turned a blind eye to it since they actually did not like Kira.
>>
>>143788534
>they did not like Kira
I don't think that was ever specified
Obviously no politician was gonna kill his career and support him but don't forget that Kira had a huge internet following, a lot of people were saying he was doing the right thing
>>
>>143788989
>kill his career
More like kill himself.
Kira was literally holding them hostage, that's why they had to stop the police investogation.
Don't you remember?
>>
File: L.png (43 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
L.png
43 KB, 256x192
>>143776903
> made dumber to lose
He was always a retard. Remember that he starts from the position, where he got perfect method for the murder and got cornered that hard that he just give up Death Note to random people. He wasn't a good enough to hide his identity from Misa Amane and she could kill him with one word. If she wasn't in love with him for clearly insane reasons. He was relied on people who just happen to sides with him to defeat L. He also tried to pull same trick against N. It backfired because of Mikami. But that doesn't means that he was nerfed. Just his bullshit train of totally random people who saved his ass suddenly stopped. Did he really expect someone between a Rem, Misa, Mikami, Higuchi, Takada and all of his other random pawns to not fuck up at least once?!
>>
>>143784328
Light miscalculated before. His biggest fuckup was writing the L imposter's name in the death note when L's declaration to defeat Kira was televised. His arrogance got the best of him and he gave L information on how Kira kills people and more importantly, the general location of himself. Light lost because of little knowledge of Mello and the fact that both Mello and Near worked together. Furthermore Mikami messed up. There was no way anyone could predict that fuck up.
>>
>>143791208
Indeed, but it goes further than that.
He ultimately lost because of arrogance alone.
He could have used natural causes of death, but he used heart attack every time because he wanted people to suspect that there was someone doing justice, and he wanted to be seen as God.
A police investigation would have never started if he had killed all those people with cancer or aneurisms or whatnot.
It would have been much more easier for people to attribute those to chance, karma or 'god'.

And, as has been said before, he would have never had a problem with L if he had just ignored him in the first place.
The whole show was FULL, from the beginning to the end, of Light gambling with his own life just because of arrogance and never making the best and safest choice.
>>
>>143791555
> He could have used natural causes of death
Yes, that would be more safe option. But you can argue that it wouldn't be so effective to prevent the future crimes without idea of Kira being believable, criminals fearing certain death and such. His goal depended on clear signal that he gives to society.
>>
>>143791866
Eventually they would have realized, if it kept happening so much.
But they would have been less keen to think it was a human and I don't think a police investigation would have started.
>>
>>143790171
I meant that a politician might actually agree with Kira, just like a lot of other people did
>>
>>143792254
Except they likely won't actually agree with him because they're the ones in the greatest danger.
A random citizen might love Kira because they don't live under the fear of being killed by him.
Politicians do.
Not many people like ruthless dictators could murder you at any moment if they just feel like it.
It's not like it was actually possible to know what Kira thought of you anyway, since they couldn't talk to him directly.
>>
>>143776849
A Gary Stu is an idealized and fictional character who always wins or "saves the day."

Light is a narcissistic psychopath who kills anyone that opposes him. He even declares himself god. Plus, he doesn't always win. Not counting what happens after L's death either.
>>
>>143792603
But a politician that declares his open support for Kira and start pushing for policies in line with Kira's will would have a relative safety since he's on Kira's side
Unless they start acting like buffoons like that tv host
Damn was I happy that guy died, he was a annoying
>>
>>143779596
Rem kills L? Thanks for the spoilers jackass.
>>
>>143792764
>Unless they start acting like buffoons like that tv host

>Unless Kira just stops not liking you

Also "showing open support" is not the same as supporting him
Of course they're all gonna show support but ultimately it's about getting votes and not being killed.
If they can turn a blind eye to whatever L does and support him covertly by giving him prisoners to kill or release, they will. Since Kira dying will relieve them of the stress of being constantly watched over. Not to mention it means that if their corruption (if there is any) comes to Light ayylmao they will die.
It's a constant state of fear and being watched over that nobody likes and ESPECIALLY not politicians.
It also means that they get no real power, and that they can't steal money from the government either (or risk death)
>>
>>143791208
>He was always a retard
No he wasn't, he always made sure to think of other possibilities that could go against his plan. The fact that he didn't towards the end was completely out of character.
>>
>>143792996
anime is 10 years old, get over it
>>
>>143795185
Don't be like that
He could have been 5 when it aired for all we knoe
Then again he's at fault too, if you're watching death note for the first time you make room for the necessary 8 hours and watch it all in one go
>>
>>143776849
He's got plenty of flaws such as overconfidence & his emotions.
>>
>>143795493
Aren't all stu's overconfident on themselves? Izayoi and Tatsuya fit the bill.
>>
>>143778809
Yes, if he didn't kill that fake L on TV, he would have been virtually uncatchable. The one stumble, the overconfident act of hubris and pride and the need to prove that nobody can stand up to him basically ignited the entirety of the events in the series. Death Note is mostly a story about Light trying to recover from that one mistake he made by killing a guy on TV who called him a loser.
>>
>>143792996
>>143795185
>A thread about a 10-year-old show which is one of the most popular and widely-viewed anime ever?
>Better stop by the thread and complain about spoilers!
>>
Let's be real lads, if light didn't fall for L's bait the series would have been boring as fuck.

Their whole challenge was what made it interesting or else shit could have ended in a few chaps.
>>
>>143796415
I like how Light is apparently unaware of any killing methods outside of the Death Note
I mean he could have just shot him
>>
>>143796557
Killing people simply by writing their names is far more easier than actually physically killing someone. A lot more easier to get found out too.
>>
>>143796557
The more I think about the Death Note, the more I feel the writer wanted to make a story about the perfect killer vs the perfect detective, and decided there was no way to delete so much evidence.
>>
>>143792996
>Snape kills Dumbledore.

>Lelouche dies at the end all according to his keikaku.
>>
>>143796706
>>143796750
Are you for real?
Light goes to a meeting with his dad the rest of the team, L and Watari
Before going he writes a bunch of deaths in the Death Note
Once he gets to the meeting all the cops pull their guns on L and Watari, Light takes his dad's gun and shoots the both of them
Then the cops put the bodies in a car and all get in a police car
They drive far, far ,far away where they can safely dispose of the bodies and then come back to the city
Once they're back they die in a car crash
There, Death Note just ended 30 or so episodes earlier
>>
>>143796886
How would he know for sure that's L and Watari?
Furthermore, L's assessment was trusted by the police, and he said that if he died while in company of the Japanese police, one of those would be the killer. Cue shittons of investigations over the team, eventually leading to Light.
>>
>>143797018
The guy literally told him he was L, of course he knew, I'm just saying one night during a random meeting when Watari brings tea and sweets they draw their guns and Light shoots them
As far as anyone else is concerned he didn't die, nobody would know he died, he just vanished off the face of the Earth, which for a guy like L isn't even that weird
Seriously it's a full proof plan, Light's involvement was completely off the books anyway
>>
>>143797204
>The guy literally told him he was L
And the series goes out of its way to explain why this could be a way to catch Light by using a sacrifice, or even the real L baiting Light in order to make sure he was caught. This tension of not knowing for sure who L is stays with Light the whole time. Or else he'd have killed L by a stupid accident.
>>
>>143797288
His dad and the rest of the team confirm it for him, he watches him work on the case, he has enough proof to know he's L
>>
>>143797333
That's not proof, that's reasonable assumption. But they are always trying to fight with the 1%, with that freak chance that L is in fact not L and Light is not Kira. Light throwing those 1% possibilities is, as pointed out, out of character later in the show precisely because he's so careful with them in the first part.
Besides, L's announcement that if he died in Japan it would mean Kira is Light (or someone else in the team) had reached the FBI and other organizations, and Light knows this.
>>
>>143797441
Ok, then why the fuck does he make Rem kill him?
Why was he desperately trying to find out his name
Why was he calling Misa to tell her to kill him after she saw his name?
He was sure beyond any doubt
L on the other hand didn't even know how Kira operated until he got his hands on the Death Note
>>
>>143782498
>beats aristocrats at chess
>gains power
>enemies with IQ below 80
>almost died 4 times
>deus ex
>plotholes
>2 waifus love interest
>lame tactician, genius in his verse
I dunno
>>
>persistently asking the chick not to go to the station
>doesn't pick up that he could be Kira

Bitch deserves to die for being retarded.
>>
>>143797591
He had to make the supposed L's death come from a source completely unrelated to him, either by Misa (who, as shown, wasn't careful enough and would thus be convicted) or from Rem (who doesn't matter). Rem's death/murder was perfect because everyone who was there could tell Light was surprised and there was no solid evidence on him.
If L was a fake, Misa would get caught and he'd have gotten rid of a very dangerous pawn on L's side.
>>
>>143797829
Not everyone is that paranoid
Besides Light looks good enough to get away with it
>>
>>143797908
>Misa wasn't careful enough
I will never understand that
Didn't she say a friend of hers left her fingerprints on the tapes? But L arrested Misa because of a few hairs?
It makes no sense
And enough with the fake L shit, Light knew perfectly well he was the real deal
>>
>>143798056
>believes a teenager works with L on the most dangerous case ever
>>
>>143798056
Her fucking husband died trying to investigate him.

How the fuck wouldn't she be so paranoid? She even used a fake name too and should have caught up something was very fishy.
>>
>>143798171
>>143798161
Again Light looks good enough to get away with it
And he was her fiancée not husband
I bet you guys think Misa fell in love with his sense of justice too
>>
>>143798161
Well why not? She heard the people at task force fags said he was son of the chief and worked on cases before and all of them recognised him. It's believable and he made it so when talking towards her.
>>
>>143798256
>And he was her fiancée not husband
Same shit. She was gonna marry him and parents met already anyways and was totally in love.
>>
>>143798268
helping retarded japanese detectives on some random murder cases and helping to catch kira isn't the same thing
>>
>>143798322
And yet she was a few sweet words away from bouncing on Light's dick that day
>>143798356
Hey don't bully Matsuda, he tries his best you know
>>
>>143798466
he wasn't the most useless
>>
>>143776866
Not at all, Mikami was the one that failed in the end.

I feel like faggots here only watched the anime and never read the manga.
>>
>>143783333
I'm alright with all of these character choices except fucking JAMES TURNER.
What the fuck.
That dude looks like he would never spend a second of his life anywhere near a police station. He looks like a complete fucking pussy. Raitos dads supposed to be like a tough manly dude.
>>
The shows first bad turn was the introduction of Misa, not L's death.
>>
>>143785659
>In the keikaku aspect, but perhaps only in that, Death Note may be the best anime ever made.

Actually I agree
>>
>>143785659
How about the
>unironically identical deathnote copy
asspull?
>>
>>143786434
Light is the one and only protagonist in Desu Note.
>>
>this is a shounen
>>
>>143787761
For good reason. He was top of his class and his father was powerful.
>>
>>143796557
Guns don't really exist in Japan.
>>
>>143797639
>sub 80 IQ enemies

No. CG had great plot writing compared to most anime. His enemies late in R1 were at least 90 IQ.
>>
>>143799768
On top of this, I swear I remember them mentioning that they were monitering multiple police children, Light was just included in the first wave of kids to be investigated, which makes sense given his capacity to be Kira.
>>
>>143799431
I stopped watching at episode 27 and am much happier because of it.
>>
>>143799681
What?
>>
>>143799559
It's not impossible to do, certainly not to the FBI.
It is somewhat of a stretch though.
>>
>>143799559
Also, remember, it only had to *look* the same, not be identical to close scrutiny.
Mikami didn't really expect this to happen.
>>
>>143787761
L looked at the profiles of a lot of people related to the police, and this is shown even in the anime.
Light was obviously the most likely of all of them.
I mean just consider how he was one of Japan's best students.
>>
>>143800302
Uhh literally no mistakes in the handwriting that DELET made photocopies of and that he examined with a microscope?

The FBI wasn't involved.

That was just a small component of the Japanese police force and a few autists from Britain.
>>
>>143795430
>He could have been 5 when it aired for all we know
That's not possible, since only 18+ year olds are allowed on this website.
>>
>>143800382
What???

He made photocopies of every page. He examined it with a microscope and light treatment. He did everything a fake-art examiner does.

It was an asspull. Honestly, the only one that bothered me though. The rest were believable.
>>
>>143800542
>The FBI wasn't involved.
Jevanni is an ex FBI agent

>>143800591
>He made photocopies of every page. He examined it with a microscope and light treatment. He did everything a fake-art examiner does.
>It was an asspull. Honestly, the only one that bothered me though. The rest were believable.
>>143800591
>Uhh literally no mistakes in the handwriting that DELET made photocopies of and that he examined with a microscope?

That was in another situation, the complete copy of the death note was not examined by him in that way
>>
>>143800564
>tfw I remember all the edgy kids make desu notes in junior high
>tfw I wondered why they were doing it because I hadn't watched anime since FMA in 2003
>>
>>143783548
I mean it takes place in Japan they all should be japanese
>>
>>143796886
Wasn't there a rule stating you couldn't have another person kill another person with the Death Note?
>>
>>143800647
>Jevanni is an ex FBI agent

You made it sound like the entire FBI was providing help in creating an identical fake.

>That was in another situation,
When? Light got caught because DELET got tricked by a DesuNote that Near called a "identical copy".
>the complete copy of the death note was not examined by him in that way

Yes it was. The series implies that a perfect copy was made which is absolute bullshit and impossible.
Even 3d printers in 2016 can't do that.

Fake-art examination is 99.9% accurate and DELET was following all the procedures.

The chances of him being tricked were below 1% and therefore it was an asspull.
>>
>>143800713
A shinigami cannot artificially end someone's life before their allotted time, or they will pay with their life.

Hence what happened to Rem.
>>
>>143800713
>>143800847
You mean, "Alex will kill Bob and then die of a heart attack" ? This is not allowed.

Or what I said?
>>
>>143800847
>A shinigami cannot artificially end someone's life before their allotted time, or they will pay with their life.
>Hence what happened to Rem.
No, that's absolutely not true
The rule is that a shinigami cannot kill a human to save another human's life. This is clearly stated in the anime and in vol 13 - "How to read".
That's why Rem died.
Shinigamis can otherwise kill anyone they want.
>>
File: 1464162098247.png (2 MB, 1910x1420) Image search: [Google]
1464162098247.png
2 MB, 1910x1420
All this master planning business is on the same scale as depicting an expert martial artist fighting with someone in either a comic or a manga. You can't expect the author to suddenly know every little detail about how a real fight would go with this particular kind of fighting nor would you expect him to fully understand what's it like being a super mastermind tactician genius actually is without some major inconsistency.

That's why people get stupid so conveniently for when it comes time for tactician dude to enact his so carefully laid plan, and eventually surprise. Despite being able to poke holes through it -- like now.

Either that or he just wrote himself into a corner and couldn't figure a logical way out of it in time. I dunno.
>>
>>143801021
Ayy I was close enough.

>>143801176
What?
>>
>>143801021
The reason they can't do that is because the lifespan needs to come from somewhere, so the human that was saved gets the shinigami's.
>>
>>143800713
But that post says that Light personally shoots so it's ok
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.