[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Love Hina worth reading anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: 1621564.jpg (48 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
1621564.jpg
48 KB, 316x475
Is Love Hina worth reading anymore?
>>
>>143763054
Nah brah. Good for its era. Absolute shit by modern standards. Read UQ Holder if you want to read an Akamatsu series.
>>
>>143763054
Think of it as a history lesson. I like it still but that could be nostalgia.
>>
>>143763054
I think it's still worth reading. In the end, much of what you see in harems these days is some Love Hina gimmick that has been rehashed over and over again.

>>143763213
UQ Holder is a different genre, and it's a crappy manga.
>>
>>143763054

Sure. The anime just doesn't hold up for todzy though.
>>
Haruka is best girl
>>
Yes, it is worth reading.

I guess it has a little less ecchi than most modern harem shows, but the comedy is there and character progression as well. If you want to read a good and fun love story that actually has an ending, go for it.
>>
>>143763054
It's still worth reading, I think Akamatsu is better at harem romcom anyway. Couldn't stand Negima after it turned into another battleshonen.
>>
>>143763449
What's funny is as a 12 year old, I had a huge crush on Shinobu, then Naru as I got older, and now her as a 25 year old.
>>
>>143763213
Shinobu still a best, tho
>>
I liked it in middle school
>>
It was shit then, is the reason why the genre is utter shit, and is still shit today.
>>
>>143763710
Quality post there, m9
>>
>>143763758
It's true, though. Love Hina is to harem as Dragonball is to shonen. Iconic, but full of awful elements that really shouldn't have been copied to the extent that they are.
>>
>>143763054

Worth it until you get to the part where he ran out of ideas and introduced the shitty goth sister.

Motoko a best.
>>
>>143763908
Oh yeah, I get it's prety much responsible for how shit the harem genre is, but I wouldn't call it shit just because of that
>>
>>143763908
What "awful elements" are you referring to?

Because Naru was a tsundere in the classic sense and the series had a conclusive ending, both of which aren't exactly ubiquitous nowadays.
>>
>>143763054
I still reread the whole thing every other month or so.
>>
File: 1456357321332.png (196 KB, 928x569) Image search: [Google]
1456357321332.png
196 KB, 928x569
It was my gateway anime
>>
Read Love Hina so you can understand why the Harem Rom Com genre was once so good, and why every idiot who has ruined it since then totally missed the point.

Golden Boy and Maison Ikkoku can also instruct you in this.
>>
>>143763054
yes it is, lovable loser MC done right.

>>143763213
>Absolute shit by modern standards
wtf am I reading,
do enlighten me what mango in the last 5 years would you say is better in the harem/romance/comedy category?
>>
>>143763498
When I was 12 I liked Koalla. Now at 25 I still do.
>>
>>143764090
Maison Ikkoku isn't a harem. By the time Yagami is relevant Kozue is already out of the picture and Yagami is hardly even an actual contender. Plus there's Mitaka who is also vying for Kyoko.

Same deal with Golden Boy because it focuses on the heroines one at a time, sure some of the older ones show up but it's not the same as the free for all settings that harem's require.
>>
I don't know how it took them so long to realize they knew each other
>>
>>143764063
Damn nigga, if only I could summon Highschool me. I could send him to SGDQ right now and speedrun that game.
>>
>>143764063
Holy shit I still remember that game.

That and Sim Girls, on newgrounds, man those were the days.
>>
>>143764021
>What "awful elements" are you referring to?
>tsundere
You answered it yourself.
>>
>>143763054
Still one of the best harem manga out there

but that's not saying much
>>
>>143764021
Naru was more of one in the modern sense. In fact she was the first modern tsundere.

she never really gets rid of her tsun bullshit
>>
>>143764306
It kinda made sense for Naru, since she was like 3 at the time
>>
>>143764063
back when I was a wee lad and used cheats for every game I ever played, because fuck da police
>>
>>143764390
She's a classic tsundere, the kind that gradually softens up compared to the more modern hot-and-cold kind.

Also, you're retarded if you think Love Hina alone invented or popularized tsundere characters.
>>
>>143764442
from the memory it looked like Keitaro looked at Mutsumi the whole time

probably would've won if it wasn't for the fact she was bi for them.
>>
Love Hina thread?

Love Hina thread.

Post best girl
>>
>>143763054
If I liked Nadesico, will I like this?
>>
>>143764497
she didn't popularized tsunderes, just the modern horrible ones

>gradually softens up compared to the more modern hot-and-cold kind.
this is wrong
>>
It's fun. You're not supposed to take it seriously. Akamatsu does good slapstick.

It's still good. I read it about once a year.
>>
>>143764580
Mitsune and Haruka are undeniably the best
>>
>>143763054
It's babby's first abusive harem but it's worth it for Shinobu.
>>
>>143764580
I still prefer Naru. Fight me.
>>
>>143764234
I like Keitaro but I have to admit that yeah it was pretty lame that he basically became Seta 2.0 (they kinda hint that Seta was like Keitaro previously but still).

but I liked the fact that Keitaro actually WORKED for his harem and happy ending where most harem MCs just get it automatically or gain it by simply "being nice"
>>
>>143763054
Love Hina was never worth reading. Akamatsu's work is garbage.
>>
>>143764775
yeah nah, she a bitch

worst girl next to Serah though I will say I accept Naru being chosen in the end
>>
>>143764497
>gradually softens up
>is literally a violent bitch even on the very final page
Rumiko Takahashi series had shitty tsunderes before Love Hina, but they were slightly more justified by the MC being tsun too and the settings revolving around slapstick violence coming from everything and everyone. However, Love Hina introduced a template for harem series and tsunderes that's being followed to the letter even to this very day by series like Nisekoi.
>>
>>143764090
>Golden Boy and Maison Ikkoku

neither of these are harems ok the Golden boy manga kinda got into harem territory but that was when the manga turned to shit
>>
Love Hina ruined my social life. No ragrets.

As for whether it stands the test of time, I still think the art is good but not great. Characters are good and the harem elements are slow to be introduced, everyone does not fall in love with keitaro all at once which is not typical of the genre lately. I'd say it is better than current harems if that's your thing. Keitaro is a shit MC and the worn-out childhood yakusoku premise gets old though.
>>
>>143764888
It's cool how you don't understand slapstick humor when it's done by a woman.
>>
It's miles better than UQ Holder, but not as good as Negi.
>>
>>143763054
When something is not worthy reading, /a/non? Follow your guts.
>>
To the Narufags out there did any of you read Yume de Aetara

it's basically Naru and Keitaro's relationship but without the harem.
>>
>>143765041
Sounds familiar but I don't remember it.
>>
>>143764968
It's cool how you don't recognize domestic abuse when it's done by a woman.
>>
>>143764888
>being followed to the letter even to this very day by series like Nisekoi.

>Naru was the mystery girl of Keitarou's childhood promise
>Nisekoi is literally doing the EXACT opposite of this
>>
>>143764782

Love Hina's entire cast was likable and the frustration about the near-misses and will-they-won't-they teasing was about wanting them to be happy. For all the internet's bluster even Naru isn't hatable, she's just flawed, which all of the characters are, and it makes you feel good to see her and Keitaro and Motoko and Shinobu all grow as people and overcome their shortcomings.

That's where modern Harem has gone wrong. In the old days it was about a group of people who all had their own quirks and problems growing together, and romance happening as a result of that. The Modern Harem Anime takes the girl's attraction to the hero as a given. It grows from nothing like a weed if there is ever a time where it didn't exist before the story even began, and nobody has to grow or change to progress, they just win at everything.

Remember when Keitaro spent like three volumes with a broken leg? That shit would NEVER happen to the invincible perfect Hero Man in a modern Harem.
>>
This series is the reason I decided to go into archaeology
>>
>>143765282

Nisekoi is saving Harem. Keep doing gods work you crazy bunny ears ribbon blonde girl.
>>
>>143765147
Why are you trying to apply the real world to manga. It's slapstick for fuck's sake, the guy never receives any lasting physical or psychological harm. It's all there for dramatic effect.
>>
>>143765041
vaguely remember it.
they bang pretty early on I remember correctly
>>
>>143765358
Wtf does that even mean anon. Are you okay?
>>
>>143765326
but Naru is a modern tsundere, probably one of the better ones but has all of the annoying features of them.

classic tsundere is more Motoko, completely tsun at the beginning but has it dissolve into nothing by the end.
>>
>>143763498
Motoko first , Motoko Still, i also liked his sister Kanako.
>>
>>143763498
Watched anime, favorite character was Mutsumi
Got to the OVAs, favorite character was Kanako
Read the manga, favorite character was Motoko
>>
>>143765282
No, it's the exact same.

>Keitaro/Raku and Mutsumi/Onodera like eachother from the very beginning and are hyped up to be the true promised lovers
>Naru/Chitoge wails a bit, and Mutsumi/Onodera suddenly decides to step aside out of pity despite Naru/Chitoge having been an ungrateful cunt in denial for most of the story, because clearly the universe has to revolve around her
>If anyone else feels bad about not winning the MCbowl, though? "lol get rekt" - t. tsunderefags
>>
>>143764888
The whole plot of Love Hina centers around Keitarou trying to get into Tokyo U because of his childhood promise to a mysterious girl which later turns out to Naru. Sure they are in love by the time they figure that out but it helps move things toward the ending. The point is they both Keitarou and Naru hold on to the promise.

Nisekoi has Raku searching for his own mystery girl from his childhood only to realize that a promise between children doesn't mean jack shit and he'd rather be with the girl that he fell in love with in the present. Assuming Komi doesn't pull the greatest troll of this decade
>>
>>143765429
When I read this as a kid Keitaro always seem to be so passionate about archaeology which made me want to be one too.
>>
File: jqAnJgE.png (207 KB, 894x1300) Image search: [Google]
jqAnJgE.png
207 KB, 894x1300
>>143765617
>Onodera suddenly decides to step aside out of pity

Only that's not what happens, the exact opposite happened.
>>
>>143765622
It being Naru was just an asspull technicality, though. Keitaro and Mutsumi were the ones who actually made the promise, they just involved Naru for the shits and giggles. She was literally in diapers back then, she didn't know shit about love. Raku deciding to ignore the promise and his actual originally established mutual crush is the exact same kind of forced technicality used to shoehorn in a tsundere end despite there being obvious better options.
>>
>>143763213
>Good for its era. Absolute shit by modern standards
It was just as shit for its era.
>>
>>143763213
>>143765823
no no it was the other way around

shit for its era but good now that current shit vindicated it

>Watch love hina
>pisses me the fuck off
>get into anime to find a harem that is better than it
>never succeed
>>
File: image.png (613 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
613 KB, 1600x1200
>>143765041
Fuck that manga. Main girl is an indecisive bitch.
>>
>>143765769
It hasn't happened yet, but it's obviously what the story is building up to.
>Chitoge acts like a huge drama queen about stepping aside for Onodera
>Onodera goes "OH NO, POOR CHITOGE. SCREW MY OWN HAPPINESS, TSUNDERE'S FEELINGS GO FIRST BECAUSE GENRE STATUS QUO"
>Raku conveniently stops going "eh, nandatte" at just the right time, and chalk up yet another shitty tsundere end harem
It happened in Love Hina, it happened in Toradora, and it'll happen here too.
>>
>>143763054
>>143763213
play the game
love hina was shit
if you lived in the 90s it was shit stay away
if you live now watch it for shits and giggles
watch how all the harem shit started
>>
>>143766047
>>Onodera goes "OH NO, POOR CHITOGE. SCREW MY OWN HAPPINESS, TSUNDERE'S FEELINGS GO FIRST BECAUSE GENRE STATUS QUO"

Only that's completely wrong. Kosaki loses because Komi wrote himself into a hole with her from the very start because she also liked Raku. There is literally no meaningful way he could have developed that relationship without incredibly stupid misunderstandings or the series just ending with Kosaki right there. That's why Kosaki has been doing fuck all in the way of development while basically every other girl including her own sister has received more development than her.
>>
>>143766017
I just started reading it, don't tell me she's worse than Naru.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.