[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is your favourite coming of age story, /a/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: mememememememememem.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mememememememememem.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
what is your favourite coming of age story, /a/?
>>
FLCL
>>
File: img000012.png (388 KB, 983x1400) Image search: [Google]
img000012.png
388 KB, 983x1400
>>
Difficult to say.
>>
Gurren Lagann
>>
Honey and Clover is by far #1, it set the tone for modern josei series/coa stories.

E7 is wonderful, and largely overlooked/looked down upon, which is a real shame since it's a wonderful coa series, and has a lot of interesting political/mecha/socio influences. Easily a top 10 series for me.

FLCL is also good, but I'd actually kind of harp on it for being so shallow. Definitely a wonderful series though, incredibly enjoyable and a treat to watch. Definitely not as "intellectually/emotionally" stimulating

Pun pun was alright. Honestly its a top 3 manga for me, though its MASSIVELY fucking overrated, probably the most overrated anime or manga on all of /a/. It's story is very shakily written and he even admitted that he half-assedly added pegasus into the plot because he didn't know how to write an entire story focus on pun pun without making it boring. Aiko ruined a large amount of the plot, and I don't think anyone has the opinion that the last 1/4 of the series is even half as good as the first 1/4. That being said, 10/10 atmosphere/art/direction and punpun actually goes through a pretty good development cycle (until the end).

Nodame cantabile is one I'd add that isn't already in the thread. To me, it's very similar to honey and clover. They released near similar times, and kind of deal with more or less the same thing. I'd say that honey and clover is more focused on self development while nodame is focused on relationships, which is kind of ironic given honey and clover spends 75% of it's time on relationships - especially mayama/ayu's.

I could talk about this all day, I watch pretty much every show every season and have done so since 2004, and coming of age stories are by far my favorite. I'll post more in a second.
>>
>>143732207
E7 won a good mount of awards
>>
File: 0060.5-013.jpg (195 KB, 1112x1600) Image search: [Google]
0060.5-013.jpg
195 KB, 1112x1600
>>143731015
NGE
>>
>>143732207
wolf children is a must watch, art is amazing, direction is great, it's pretty sad and heartwarming too. I think the last 1/4 or maybe even the second half of the series is not as strong as the earlier parts though. I could be completely wrong on that, but to me personally, I was not as excited to see what happened.

Series like kids on the slope, ano hana, golden time, tsuritama, are not even worth mentioning. They are very weak series, and I believe people find them valuable that lack exposure to better titles. shigatsu and "totally not honey and clover with an autistic girl" are enormous offenders of this too. Seriously, fuck shigatsu.

NANA is wonderful, but unfortunately unfinished. Absolutely worth a watch.

Chihayafuru is a different type of coa story. To me its much more light hearted and focuses more on the adventure of the characters and their "sports" aspects, though there is definitely a coa story in there, as well as character development. Very emotionally stirring for me, despite it lacking a lot of romance/development drama.

Paradise kiss is a must watch, for the style alone if nothing else. I think the story is well written for it's length and somewhat realistic, though I wish it could have been expanded upon.

>>143732264
I was more talking about /a/. Other than just to be contrarian to my posts, e7 gets a lot of shit now, despite people loving it when it aired here.
>>
>>143731015
You just posted it

E7 AO ruined it though, fuck that shit
>>
>>143732345
>>143732207
I also really like barakamon, I'm a sucker for an arts based coa story - not that I let it influence my somewhat objective nature (eg, I think shigatsu, sakurasou are trash)
>>
>>143731015
Wait I don't remember her falling asleep on his shoulder.

Which episode was that?
>>
Hanasaku Iroha
>>
>>143732207
this guy gets it
>>
Monogatari series
>>
>>143732533
The gatari series isn't even coming of age. All of the characters are fairly one dimensional and just exist to serve as a plot point and have their 1 level of development/fix.
>>
Kill me Baby
>>
Can this be a E7 thread?

I know Renton saw Eureka naked, but what about vice versa?
>>
File: punpun.jpg (143 KB, 800x1156) Image search: [Google]
punpun.jpg
143 KB, 800x1156
Punpun is certainly the one that I connected with the most.
>>
>>143732710
No fuck off. This is clearly a thread about coming of age stories and you want to focus on one? Go make your own thread you lazy cunt
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.