[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: evangelion.jpg (3 MB, 2614x1639) Image search: [Google]
evangelion.jpg
3 MB, 2614x1639
So I wanted to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion but due to never having watched the series, obviously I'm quite confused by the chronology of the series

Can I just watch the original first without any problems?
>>
Of course, it's the original.
>>
Watch original series, wait one week between episodes. Then wait a few months, watch EoE. There is nothing else.
>>
Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>143698176
Dont do this, its absolutely retarded and will break the immersion

also >>>/wsr/
>>
>>143698147
>>143698176

loading the original series right now. just wanted to ask because I saw other people talking about full metal alchemist brotherhood being way superior to the original and what not. didn't know whether the same issue applied to NGE
>>
>>143697894
Just watch the damn series. Watch the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-24, or else watch the compilation movie Death and Rebirth afterwards, which has the same scenes the Director's Cut added.

Then watch End of Evangelion. It consists of alternate versions of episodes 25 and 26.

Then you can watch the Rebuild movies, but they're optional and mostly only good for shitposting.
>>
>>143698289
There is no remake of the show, unless you're thinking about the Rebuilds. Those are movies.
>>
>>143698289
That's because Brotherhood is a more or less faithful adaptation of the FMA manga, whereas the 2003 series only had the first half of the story to work off of.

NGE is an anime original. Keep in mind:
-The Christian symbolism is only there because it looks cool
- The plot/backstory is told through veiled suggestion rather than exposition
- The first half is mostly monster-of-the-week, but it picks up.
>>
>>143698292

jesus christ, that was exactly what I was talking about. I really don't understand why they didn't just release the director's cuts instantly. If the version I'm getting has the DC, I'm lucky

Is End of Evangelion ONLY the last two episodes?

Also, what do you mean with "Rebuild movies"? I found You Are Not Alone, You Can Not Redo etc....

>>143698450

my bad, that's what I meant
>>
>>143698756
Chronological order. One series. One movie. That's it.
>>
>>143698756

The You Are (Not) Alone are the rebulids, yes.

Also, End of Evangelion is an entire movie by itself. Episode 25 and 26 are NOT the End of Evangelion.
>>
>>143698951

>one movie

what about the three other ones? do they offer anything different?
>>
>>143699007

The three (Rebulids) are different in some ways but I do recommend to leave them after you finish the series and the movie.

The movie is End of Evangelion by the way.
>>
>>143699007
Sure, watch them if you want. They do their own thing. Still, chronological order.
>>
>>143698756
>why they didn't just release the director's cuts instantly
The production was running out of time and budget to deliver the episodes by the end, and it's unclear whether they really had the ending planned in advance. The Director's Cut additions are mostly about setting up End of Evangelion.

>Is End of Evangelion ONLY the last two episodes?
The exact nature of End of Evangelion is a matter for autists to debate, but the orthodox view is that it is a retelling of the last two episodes with more of the original script and a much higher budget. But you still need to watch the original episodes, trust me.

>Rebuild
Series of movies, 3 released so far. They are numbered like 1.0 (or it's home video re-release 1.11), 2.0, 3.0. You can only really appreciate them (not that they're universally loved) if you've seen the original series+EoE and lived through the shitstorm that is the Eva fandom.
>>
The original series goes to episode 26.

25 and 26 are shitshows. The studio ran out of money and did their best with what they had. The movie End of Evangelion is basically the replacement of 25 and 26. You should still watch 25 and 26, then EoE just because the creator said they happen at the same time, and they do. It will make sense once you watch it.

The movie starts at the end of 24 and makes its way through 25 and 26, giving the real and intended ending to Nge.

Also, none of the symbolism is the Christian imagery. It is literally only there to look cool. Don't get wrapped up in it.
>>
>>143699264
Half of this is unnecessary to discuss in this context.
>>
>>143699070
>>143699082
>>143699212
>>143699264

thanks very much guys. now I know what to do. starting to watch the first episode this evening if I can

if you want, you can use the thread to recommend other animes to watch for someone who had quit with anime but decided to watch the essential ones. IF possible, only shows that are below 75-100 episodes
>>
>>143699555
That would be a discussion better held on >>>/wsr/.
>>
NEWFAGS!!!
GET OUT!!!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.