[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Lie in April
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
Finished this anime last night and it really fucked me up. fuuuck man.
>>
was happy that bitch died
>>
>>143695152

I know what you mean. Though the ending wasn't unexpected. Saw it coming like halfway through.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-30-00h04m33s121.png (730 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-30-00h04m33s121.png
730 KB, 1280x720
>>143695433
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>143695152
melodrama garbage loved by easily impressed kids
>>
>>143695559
Yea same, like we all knew what was coming but it didn't prepare me for the large amount of feels that happened in that final episode.

>>143695433
Please do not talk about my deadviolinist-fu like that
>>
shigastsu more like shitgatsu lel amirite
>>
>>143695868
It was melodramatic but I think it's far from garbage. There were some pacing and character development issues but it's a good anime that still packed an emotional punch.
>>
>>143695986
No need to reply. He's a sociopath without the normal range of feelings.
>>
One word: Forced Drama
>>
>>143695986
It packs an emotional punch in the cheapest way possible. Sure, it can make you cry, but it's still a throwaway sob story at the end of the day.
>>
>>143696259
Throw away deez nuts
>>
>>143695152
It's not too late to fuck her, he only needs a shovel.
>>
>>143696425
They cremate in Japan. The best he could hope for is jizzing on the ashes.
>>
>>143696425
She was a QT though, I'd fuck her alive or dead desu.
>>
>>143695152
The formula that each episode follows gets extremely repetitive. The amount of flashbacks and internal monologues is just excessive. Sometimes you just have to let a scene play out you know. LIKE THE PERFORMANCE SCENES. JESUS. And the actual "lie in April" that the show is named after is incredibly depressing and upsetting. It's meant to be bittersweet but it's not. They could have been together from the start but she lied for no reason and he spent the entire show going "I can't, she's dating my best friend", even though they weren't... AND the way they portrayed the mother as being sympathetic even after the child abuse was just bizarre.
>>
>>143696870
I know right?
>>
>>143696870
>>143697020
Despite these flaws, it got a 9.1/10 on imdb and a 8.9/10 on MyAnimeList, so were those glaring issues really that glaring to begin with if the reception was overwhelmingly positive?
>>
The series was decent, although not well paced. She was the best thing in it, and her death only served to cheapen it all.
>>
>>143696870

>The formula that each episode follows gets extremely repetitive.

agreed but you can make the same argument of most anime

>The amount of flashbacks and internal monologues is just excessive.

agree with this too and I think this was the show's biggest weakness, honestly pacing in general was a problem

the whole show would have done better as a movie instead with all the fluff cut out

>They could have been together from the start but she lied for no reason

people, especially kids do stupid shit like this all the time

are you telling me you honestly have no regrets in your life over something like this?

>the way they portrayed the mother as being sympathetic even after the child abuse was just bizarre.

no one is 100% evil, even Hitler had a dog

I'm not sure the show made his mother look positive as simply looking at how fucked up he was kind of ruins that image of her but on some level she did love him and want he best for him
>>
>>143697297
Shows that prey on people's emotions are always likely to be rated more highly. *cough*Clannad*cough*. It's a 7/10, despite it's faults, it's animation and music make it worth a watch.
>>
>>143697443

I don't know, the death felt pretty real

if anything they shofted the blow of how brutal the decline is

the whole scene where she's upset with her legs

"you're my legs aren't you"

just so well done

part of the problem is I wonder how many 12 to 18 year olds have gone through something like this

if I was going to throw out something it'd be the mother's abuse
>>
>>143695152
One of my favorite anime now.
It made me tear up a bunch of times.
And yeah you can figure out how it ends by like episode 10 but still. It's almost painful to watch.
It's like taking off a bandaid that you've had on all day. It hurts but you just gotta do it.
You know it's gunna hurt, but you just gotta finish it, endure the sting, and then you can feel better.
>>
>>143697297
Yes, they were, people are just huge suckers for dead kids, child abuse, and tragic love.
>>
>>143697462
>even Hitler had a dog.
Showing an "evil" character in more than one light is fine, but the MC's resolution regarding his mother was what was so misplaced. "My mother really loved me and I choose to just remember that" isn't a responsible message. And yeah, teenagers do stupid stuff, but it doesn't change the fact that the shoes entire premise is irredeemably depressing
>>
>>143696870
Maybe this is why I can't finish it. I like it but for some reason I can never bring myself to move onto the next episode and I watch something else. I have been stuck on episode seven for a week and have no desire to stick through it.
Although I do like the animation, shit looks pretty damn nice and the OST so far is good.
>>
>>143697693
Yeah, you know what's gonna happen, but that doesn't make it any easier. Spoiler because it is kind of a spoiler
>>
>>143697797
>shoes
>>
>>143696152
Just out of curiosity, can you give an example of not "forced drama"?
>>
>>143697797
You said it was suppose to be a happy show. They way it ended made a lot of people pissed.
At times it was comfy, funny, and inspiring. But in the whole, it's a tragedy.
Life is either a comedy or a tragedy.
This show let's us see how a group of you ng adults expierienced a lot of tragedy and cope with it.
>>
>>143697908
You're evil
>>
>>143696870
This is a 100% fair analysis and actual issues with the show. I wish you'd used a spoiler tag though...
>>
>>143695152
What do you think she smelled like sweaty from playing?
>>
File: 1467439483375.gif (309 KB, 460x351) Image search: [Google]
1467439483375.gif
309 KB, 460x351
>>143698079
Yes
>>
The pacing made it hilarious as fuck.
>>
>>143697481
The whole point of "art" is to evoke an emotional or thoughtful response, I'd argue "preying" on emotions is perfectly acceptable as long as it works. Of course things get overused and lose their charm after a while but blame capitalism.
>>
>>143695152
It's awful. Drama felt forced as fuck. Nips can't into compelling drama.
>>
On another note does blonde girl win the bowl or does the childhood friend win it?
Since blonde dies I assumed he just goes to childhood friend and really don't feel like finishing it.
>>
>>143697999
It's not the show being a tragedy that I'm lamenting. It's that the show wants the ending to be bittersweet, but it's not. As the MC I wouldn't be thinking "I'm sad but she changed my life for the better", like the show wants you to. I'd be thinking " what the fuck? Seriously? What was the point?"
>>
In the realm of sad animes, it's decent.

Saikano was sadder and had better pacing.

Now and Then, Here and There also made you get the feels but had an immaculate story.

5cm per Second was long but had more relevant and realistic feels.
>>
>>143698075
I'm sorry senpai. Forgive me desu
>>
>>143698255
Childhood friend definitely wins it. She's going to becoming a fading memory for him, and childhood friend has a nice bod.
>>
>>143696152
That's two words you gigantic faggot.
>>
>>143698222
>as long as it works
My point is that it didn't
>>
I liked the show but the episode with rival bitch screaming let it ring for like 15 minutes pissed me off
>>
>>143698442
Great that's what I like to hear, as much as I like blonde childhood friend was a cute and just tried to help him out but couldn't get it across.
>>
>>143698676
She was cute though bro, that's who he should've been with the whole time. and that red dress, damnnnnnn
>>
You fucking plebs, you should go kys.
>>
>>143697972
Amour
>>
>>143698858
You got other animes to recommend then bro?
>>
>>143698858
I mean the plebs who say she should've died even tho you knew she will.
>>
>>143698858
Ladies first.
>>
>>143698887
>Amour
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1602620/

Are you talking about this?? That's not an anime you gaylord lol. I'll still give it a shot though, even if Anne doesn't look as cute as Kaori.
>>
>>143698887
>comparing garbage cartoons like shitgatsu to actual kino
>>
>>143697297
It had nice production values and it's story was a tear jerker. Same reason Ano Hana and Angel Beats have such high ratings despite being mediocre to decent.
>>
>>143697972

kimi to iru machi had pretty free flowing drama.
>>
>>143698887
I want to genuinely watch this but is it going to fuck me up with the feels some more?
>>
As a classical musician, I am sick and tired of the trope that musicians that play off the score are robotic and shitty and that's it's better to play purely off emotion. It's an incredibly grey area in the classical world, and so few shows about it have managed to get the nuance right. Nodame was great though.

This was just another show that abused the classical theme for an emotional, "artsy" premise. And the whole death shit was so fucking prolonged -- you know it's going to happen since like episode 3 at the latest, but they still drag it out as long as possible. The mom shit was also dragged out far too long.

Overall, a very pretty disappointment.
>>
>>143699220
I'm very intrigued by the classical musician perspective. Can you tell me more about what the show did right and what it did wrong when it came to the music?

Like how is the actual classically trained musician experience compared to what they depict on the show?
>>
>regarding Shigatsu as anything other than shitty badly-written melodrama

Either fuck off back to MAL or kill yourself.
>>
>>143699326
But senpai I want to stay and still like Shigatsu at the same time.
>>
>>143699416

Killing yourself it is then!
>>
I like melodrama usually, but this one was too much even for me. Cringy as hell script, shit characters, cheap clichés.
Music was alright though.
>>
The only good episodes are the ones that focus on Goku and the other girl, in the middle of the first cour. The rest of the show is dogshit. Having watched both, I can say that Glasslip is better than this shit
>>
>>143699659

>Glasslip

Come on now. There's nothing worse than glasslip.
>>
>>143699220
Could this not be a cultural misconception? Maybe you're actually Japanese, but otherwise it could be attached specifically to the Japanese classical scene
>>
>>143699659
>I can say that Glasslip is better than this shit
I don't know if you're saying that to antagonize people or you really are that deluded.
>>
>>143695152
I was really sad even though I know it was going to happen, cheer up and start a new show.
>>
>>143699914
What do you recommend? This was my first foray back into anime after a while so I'm behind.
>>
>>143699714
>>143699730
>I don't know if you're saying that to antagonize people
Kinda, but I also have to say that you're the deluded one. Glasslip is only hated because of the anticlimactic ending. At least it was interesting to see everyone's autism in action in Glasslip.

Shigatsu is just a shitty piece of badly written drama with shoehorned comedy that you can't ever take seriously because there's no way 14 year olds think the way these characters do in the first place. Shigatsu is just another highly polished A-1 piece of shit.
>>
>>143699943
Erased
>>
>>143699943
It's all up to what genres you like, there is to much to choose from to make a good recommendation.
>>
>>143699943
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
>>
Was it AIDS?
>>
File: 1451764659770.png (771 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451764659770.png
771 KB, 1280x720
requesting a webm of best girl crying
>>
>>143699996
I remember being bored by Glasslip until the very end when it was just disappointing.

With Shigatsu I was enjoying the music and animation throughout and hit with the end like a truck of bricks.
>>
>>143700096
>>143700049
Thanks for the rec, will check it out!
>>143700059
Open to all genres, currently watching Girls Und Panzer and liking that but I took a breather on that to finish Shigatsu.

I mean, I haven't watched anime really since like Code Geass and Gurren Lagann era shit lol.
>>
>>143699943
Just throwing out a title for a comfy show, Girls und Panzer http://myanimelist.net/anime/14131/Girls_und_Panzer

But I'm a huge fan of "moe girls doing not moe things" so I'm biased as hell....
>>
>>143695609
he's right though
>>
>>143700438
McEdge has spoken.
>>
>>143695152
I don't usually post on things I didn't liked but besides the soundtrack everything else was bit jarring. The drama while she was dying was fine but many decisions and actions the characters took had the sole intention of maximizing their own misery.

No matter how well you listen you can't feel the other persons soul based on a single accord.

Forced drama all the way.

but I still feel this ost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgX1gL-uY_8
>>
>>143699323
A classical musician has to consider a lot of things when they play a piece in order to do it justice. They have to think about how to approach it in terms of technique (I'm a string player, so there's a lot more variability in this aspect for us), what the score tells them to do and what it leaves up to interpretation, the historical significance of the piece, and, of course, the emotion it invokes in them. All of these factors are incredibly important, and there's obviously a lot of variability in how you can address them. That's why there's still individuality in classical music no matter what the score says (plus, it never says everything).

>>143699726
This is a good question, and I'm not Japanese. But let me use Nodame as an example of this done right:

Nodame is a prodigy who plays pieces according to ear and thus completely disregards the score. She's incredibly gifted, her interpretations are innovative and fascinating, and she brings a lot of joy into her playing. These are all great things, but the show highlights how she's limited by not paying attention to the score or the background of the piece. Her character development revolves around finding that sweet spot of balancing your own emotion with an in depth knowledge of the music you're playing. And that's the best part of being a classical musician.

Shigatsu is way, way, waaayy more shallow in this respect. Basically, playing by the score = robotic and bad, playing emotionally = good. Furthermore, there isn't really any growth of the characters as musicians; they're already shown as so good that it doesn't matter (which is ridiculous considering how young they are). Even prodigies are still getting a hang of technique when they're in middle school. (Again, I'm a string player, so there's a little more emphasis on this stuff for us).

Sorry for the super late reply, thread's already dead as balls, whoopsie.
>>
>>143695152
I love that they included kreutzer, a piece I struggled with.
>>
>>143702977
I used to do some piano, but never understood what any of that emotion vs playing the piece stuff was. All that happens is that the other person playing emotionally is simply playing as they would and not adjusting to what the original sounds like perfectly, right?
>>
>>143695152

I thought it was kinda shitty, the ending wasn't really a tearjerker either as she'd been waiving her death flag as hard as she could for many many many weeks. It would have been better if the anime didn't focus so much on her death but on that and the grieving process Arima would have gone through after, instead we just got her death and a letter, nothing else. Also Arima getting over his mothers death took far too long, it even was resolved at one point then it was fucking back again, dragged on far too long.
>>
>>143695559
>>143695152

It made me not want to live anymore. I never cried so hard at an ending before. (I was also in a really bad place at the time.)
>>
>>143699326
*Tips fedora*
>>
>>143705811
They were suppose to play together one more time... ;_;
>>
Was a mediocre anime overall, the OST was fantastic however:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvJ3ThA6ZI

It made me cry but nothing like Clannad. That shit was brutal. Another thing it did well was the title, I could predict most of what was going to happen but when it was revealed what the lie in April was, I lost it.
>>
>>143695152
For some reason these kinda shows don't phase me anymore, which fucking sucks since that was the whole reason I watch them.
>>
>>143706048
I KNOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Q_Q

Fuck this gay erf. it's so unfair. I hate everything.

This is probably my favorite anime ever.
>>
>>143706484
Calm down, shitposter.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.